Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Question for you - out of all the posts where vegetarians have very politely and eloquently discussed their reasons for being vegetarian, with only a handful of 'meat is murder' type posts and a few actually debating the issue (politely), why the statement that many vegetarians are angry and defensive?

I skipped over this one... on Page 8 alone, one Veggie questioned my competency as an attorney. And another one explained that I take steroids, and would likely die soon of heart failure.

;)

Point - but I would not call that many compared to the folks who were not.

But... that was just "Page 8." lol

Not a statistical sample - I took random pages (2 & 5) - no insults there, just 'joking digs' from yourself.

That's true and fair. And in delayed response to your original query, I'm calling reference to this string, and my experiences in real life.

In further fairness, 'many' people get defensive when other people disagree and/or question any of their life choices, regardless of the topic at-hand.

I do not understand vegetarianism. To me, it is odd. That doesn't mean I don't respect it.

However, I will very likely continue with 'joking digs,' with your express permission, of course.
  • gchutson
    Options
    OP- I think I heard the paleo people next door talking about how they feel left out and want to "debate" (read defend) their diet, too.

Awesome. What the hell is "paleo?"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP- I think I heard the paleo people next door talking about how they feel left out and want to "debate" (read defend) their diet, too.

Goooooood question. They want to tell you themselves.
  • gchutson
    Options

Holy crap! I just Googled it. That is the most awesome thing I have every seen, in my entire life. That is so awesome, it deserves it's own word... "Awesomenesstitude."
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

Love this thread it's so educational - no need for word of the day toilet paper (had to look up paleo too)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Question for you - out of all the posts where vegetarians have very politely and eloquently discussed their reasons for being vegetarian, with only a handful of 'meat is murder' type posts and a few actually debating the issue (politely), why the statement that many vegetarians are angry and defensive?

I skipped over this one... on Page 8 alone, one Veggie questioned my competency as an attorney. And another one explained that I take steroids, and would likely die soon of heart failure.

;)

Point - but I would not call that many compared to the folks who were not.

But... that was just "Page 8." lol

Not a statistical sample - I took random pages (2 & 5) - no insults there, just 'joking digs' from yourself.

That's true and fair. And in delayed response to your original query, I'm calling reference to this string, and my experiences in real life.

In further fairness, 'many' people get defensive when other people disagree and/or question any of their life choices, regardless of the topic at-hand.

I do not understand vegetarianism. To me, it is odd. That doesn't mean I don't respect it.

However, I will very likely continue with 'joking digs,' with your express permission, of course.

You have my permission - as I am not one of those angry or defensive people. :tongue:
  • gchutson
    Options
    You have my permission - as I am not one of those angry or defensive people. :tongue:

Awesomenesstitude.
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, my hubbie and kids are not and I must admit I encourage my kids to eat meat. I make sure that I get enough nutrients but I cant expect that from a 3 and 1 yr old lol. I never tell people I am vegetarian (except you but that doesn't count as you don't l know me lol) because people have very strange ideas sometimes about how you MUST be a tree hugger etc Over the years I have had "friends" call me names people tell me I'm making myself ill and one person actually told me the meal she prepared was vegetarian (she actually made it with mince meat and thought I wouldn't know!!! I'm vegetarian not stupid!!!!) I have never told anyone that they should not be eating meat I wouldn't dream of it non of my business I just find it strange that people get so defensive that I don't.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My logic, and the fact that I watch way too many documentaries, states that homo sapiens were designed as omnivores for a reason. In order to maintain optimum body performance we need a certain amount of the iron, minerals, fats, and proteins found exclusively in meats. I sometimes have a hard time seeing how vegetarians get these essential nutrients without having to add manufactured supplements to their diet. Maybe I'm missing something?

I easily get over 130g of protein with no protein powder as long as I pay attention to what I am eating. It's really not that hard. It is my understanding that all micronutients needed by the body can be obtained from a vegetarian diet, but if worried all you need to do is take little itty bitty multi-vitamin.

all it takes is a mutlivitamin???? Wow....really??? Come on now. I work in a hospital. Did you know that when a vegan has surgery, we all groan. Why? because they take twice as long to heal. Even the ones that follow the diet carefully, and take "itty bitty multi vitamins" have this issue. If you don't eat meat for moral reasons that is yoru choice, but please.....it is not biologically prudent for human beings, who are natural omnivores, to eat vegan.

Many people take multivitamins for the extra insurance, so why so adversarial?

I also 'worked in a hospital' for over 20 years. Your comment about vegans not healing well after surgery is a new one to me. Also, my experience in hospitals makes me wonder what you do which gives you knowledge of surgical follow-up, since most of that happens in outpatient settings. Are you a surgeon who has hospital OR privileges, who also does post-op follow-up in her office. How do you know vegans take twice as long to heal? I am not challenging you. I'm curious, since my hospital career exposed me to acute care and not follow-up.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan. I am a vegan not totally by choice lol. In order to control my daily IBS flare ups, I had to find the triggers, and sadly those triggers for me are most meat products and dairy. So I went vegetarian, and then decided to take out the last animal product that I still ate, eggs. I didn't eat them unless they were an ingredient in cookies, so it really didn't bother me much to get rid of them too. And voila, I was following a vegan diet. I do feel 99% better.

But, I'll admit, I am the worlds worst vegan lol. I don't cheat with what I eat (not worth feeling horrible the next day) but I am sitting on my leather couch, on a pillow stuffed with feathers (is that an animal cruelty issue?) On the wall above my couch is a beautiful black bear rug, and on the shelf across the room is the bears skull, along with the skull of a wild boar. Sooo.....

Honestly, I don't care at all what others choose to eat or not eat. Unless they are trying to push it on me, do what you want to do, and I'll do what I want to do. Its all good.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    I love meat, but I don't love the way large corporations raise it as I think the animals are cruelly confined and generally not treated very well. I also don't like all the hormones, antibiotics and filler they are fed to get them to market quicker. Our compromise is to buy our beef and pork from a local ranch that free-ranges, doesn't give antibiotics or hormones and doesn't feed corn/grain. It's more expensive up front because we have to buy at least 1/2 pig, or at least 1/4 cow, but it averages out over the long haul. The meat is also much leaner, much healthier and just better tasting. We have a small flock of chickens that we get eggs from because I don't like the whole excessive confinement that egg producers are forced to endure either. The only thing I still haven't figured out where to buy free range chickens around here for a price that doesn't break the bank, but I'm actively looking. In the meantime, if someone else is okay with the corporate raised animals, that's their business. And if they want to avoid meat altogether, that's okay too. I just feel better knowing what I'm putting in my body and that I'm pouring my money into a small, local rancher rather than a large corporation elsewhere.
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    can I just ask how many people have seriously had a vegetarian/vegan force there views on you??? I know there are extremists but thats like asking a preacher there opinion on atheists. Live and let live is my motto x
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

;)

Bless you. Are you referring to me here? Because if so, in my post on page 8, I was questioning your capacity to engage in reasoned argument. I have no knowledge of your competence to practice law, and indeed, did not mention your legal competence at all. It was you who shoved that into the conversation, though its relevance to the topic at hand is beyond me. (I assume you were making some kind of 'appeal to authority' plea?)

You do seem very tangential.
  • gchutson
    Options

;)

Bless you. Are you referring to me here? Because if so, in my post on page 8, I was questioning your capacity to engage in reasoned argument. I have no knowledge of your competence to practice law, and indeed, did not mention your legal competence at all. It was you who shoved that into the conversation, though its relevance to the topic at hand is beyond me. (I assume you were making some kind of 'appeal to authority' plea?)

You do seem very tangential.

Hmm. I do like turtles.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 24 years, from ages 14-38. For me it was because I simply did not like meat. I never liked it as a child, and was forced to eat it growing up. I raised my kids vegetarian and everything (husband was not vegetarian though, but he ate what we did). 2 years ago my youngest son wanted to try meat, and since I felt he was old enough to decide, I let him. He loves meat LOL. Because I am so attached to my kids I felt compelled to try a little meat too...and discovered it wasn't as gross as I remembered. However I cannot eat red meat (beef, pork, lamb. etc), it makes me physically sick. So now I just eat birds and seafood in addition to my regular vegetarian diet.

I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.

Love this ^ I truly believe the findings that a vegetarian diet is healthier is only because you have to be more conscious of what you eat and that it makes room for a ton of vegetables, fruit, legumes, and nuts and seeds. If you followed a vegetarian that just ate popcorn, cheetos, and cereal they would not be reaping any benefits of a vegetarian/vegan diet. It is not the absence of meat that makes you healthy, but the abundance of plant based foods that make you healthy. I think they should change the MyPlate to 75% of your plate should be vegetables/fruit and 15% should be meat/legumes and 10% should be whole grains. Thats healthy eating.
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for about 7 years. Not because of some strong love of animals (I'm not an animal person) but just simply because I dont like it. I was forced to eat it as a kid and once I became an adult I decided that I would show them! I wont eat any meat at all- ever! HA!
    That worked great until I was pregnant and severely anemic. Iron pills wouldnt help. I needed to eat some kind of meat to get iron- so I did.

And for the record, I dont care what other people eat. You cant eat meat all day every day- thats your choice. I just dont like it.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian purely because I do not like the taste and texture of meat. Just like some people don't like brussel sprouts, I don't like meat. I've always felt that meat eaters look down on vegetarians not the other way around!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Like this quote from my son: 'Salad is a promissory note that real food is on the way'!
  • hrtotten
    hrtotten Posts: 26
    Options
    I stopped eating meat and dairy because it is acidic and that really takes its toll on me. I have a chronic disorder that is much improved when I stay away from it. I don't miss it. I think it is a choice, but I think eating a lot of meat also keeps people from eating the plant foods with enzymes and nutrients that they need.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Like this quote from my son: 'Salad is a promissory note that real food is on the way'!

I like that. And it's no less true on vegetarian households, too. Salad is good, but it's definitely not the only thing we vegetarians eat. If that were true, I would probably have no great need for MFP.
This discussion has been closed.