silly Americans

Options

Replies

• bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Italy in a few weeks... and my family is freaking out saying DONT PACK ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU LOOK AMERICAN!!! Hoping I'm not curb-stomped for being American even if I clearly appear as one, but -

What exactly should I be avoiding?

It's not like I wear the flag like a toga. I don't wear any sports-team shirts/hats/etc, I don't wear clothes with writing on it (aside from maybe 1 or 2 sweatshirts that I probably won't pack anyway), I don't wear I <3 George Bush tee's...

?!??!

Sounds like your family are over worrying alright. You shouldn't have any probs, especially as you don't wear the trademark sports-team shirts/hats which are a giveaway identifier for Americans, especially when the cap is worn backwards! That practically screams out 'Hey I'm American'. :wink:

Not sure where the person got the idea all us Europeans wear scarves. You certainly won't be wearing a scarf in the middle of the Italian summer! Enjoy your holiday!
  • fj78
    fj78 Posts: 17
    Options
    I live in Italy - stars and stripes T-shirts are EVERYWHERE this summer so maybe you SHOULD wear the flag to fit in! If Italy didn't have tourism it would be in an even bigger economic mess than it is - have a great time, you'll love it!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    As an American living overseas, yeah, Americans kind of stick out. The big thing that makes them stick out is that American dress extra casually on vacation (t-shirts with pictures, shorts, sneakers) and can be a little loud sometimes.

Definitely seconding the idea that you should always travel everywhere with a shawl in the event of sudden need to cover up bare shoulders or legs.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Tartan is that coloured cross-striped woollen material that kilts are made from. Loud checked or plaid trousers (like what golfers wear).

I have yet to see anyone wear that in the States unless their like....90 years old maybe
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Tartan is that coloured cross-striped woollen material that kilts are made from. Loud checked or plaid trousers (like what golfers wear).

Oh goodness. I don't think I've ever seen even a golfer wear those before!

I've always thought that it was interesting all the different names things are called all over the world. =]

Now, OP - I think that as long as you're respectful, and courteous, you should be fine. Enjoy yourself!
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Avoid fanny packs! In fact, everyone should avoid them.

And if you must use one, DO NOT call it a fanny pack, unless you want everyone around you to laugh at you!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    We went to Italy a few years ago and these were the things we avoided:
    Sneakers
    Cargo shorts
    tall socks (but that should be universal!)
    backpacks

Anything that makes you look like a tourist! I wore summer dresses and sandals the whole time. It was reallllllly hot in July, so be prepared for the heat!
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you can always pick out the tourists haha.

And don't be so paranoid about "anti-Americanism". Traveled to Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Greece in the past couple years and never experienced that. You know what makes you stand out? A tourist trying to not be a tourist.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Be polite: Let others go first. Chew with your mouth closed. Talk so that only the person you are talking to can hear you. Don't point. Don't chew gum like a cow chewing cud. Don't make references to "we have this a home" or "ours is better". Give up your seat on a bus. Smile and treat service staff as your equal, not your servant.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're that ashamed of it:

1) Renounce citizenship.
    2) Move to Mexico
    3) Wear sombrero to Italy
    4) Enjoy new life in beautiful Ciudad Juárez.

haha, I'm not ashamed. I didn't think anything of it until my family started "warning" me.

Perhaps I should move to Mexico anyhow, it would be a lot warmer than New Hampshire.. all I know how to say is "where is the bathroom/library/fire/pants" though. My vocab is lacking.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Italy in a few weeks... and my family is freaking out saying DONT PACK ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU LOOK AMERICAN!!! Hoping I'm not curb-stomped for being American even if I clearly appear as one, but -

What exactly should I be avoiding?

I don't get it. You're going to Italy, not Somalia. Nobody will care where you come from. If you're that worried, wear lederhosen and hum Wagner music. That'll throw them off the scent.

No, seriously, why don't you want to "look American"? You won't be treated any differently than someone from any other country would be treated. Italy is a beautiful country and her people are friendly and welcoming (more so than in some other European countries). Tourists go to Italy from all over the world and you're unlikely to be the most American-looking American. Sure, take some nice clothes if you're the type of person that wants to feel stylish amongst trendy Italians, but there's nothing you should avoid. Just take care of your belongings and do all the stuff you'd normally do if you were in a busy tourist place in America.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Be polite: Let others go first. Chew with your mouth closed. Talk so that only the person you are talking to can hear you. Don't point. Don't chew gum like a cow chewing cud. Don't make references to "we have this a home" or "ours is better". Give up your seat on a bus. Smile and treat service staff as your equal, not your servant.

Shouldn't this just be the norm no matter where you are???
  • TabiNS
    TabiNS Posts: 15
    Options
    My brother and sister-in-law went to Italy two years ago. They dressed like they normally would here at home. The only thing that they made sure to do was dress up on the days they knew they'd be going to a cathedral. They also dressed up when they went to the Vatican. Other than that, I'd say just dress like you normally would. :-)

Also, and someone may have touched on this already, but the important thing when going to another country is to just be respectful of their culture. Don't comment, at least in public, that you find something weird, or that their sense of style is ugly. You are a guest in a place they live every day. Be respectful of their history, treasure it...be courteous. I assume that many of the places you might be going to are touristy places...chances are the citizens of those places are used to it, but that doesn't mean that they particularly enjoy it.

And, don't be afraid of "being" American there. You hear all the time how so many countries hate America, and they think we're all apparently silly, but chances are they're going off our politics or something they may have seen in the meda. If you have the chance to talk with an Italian citizen, do it. Learn things about one another.

Sorry, I'm an anthropology major, so sometimes I get a little ranty when talking about this kind of stuff. ha.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was in Rome a month ago and I just wore my regular clothes. No one gave us any problems, except one panhandler who said Americans are rich (yeah, right - LOL) so we shouldn't be stingy. Unless you speak Italian, they will know where you are from. Don't worry about it and enjoy because it is a beautiful country.
  • MichelleC2012
    Options
    Ok, the "tartan" trousers....who in their right minds wear those??? Yikes! Anyway, if I go anywhere...within or outside of the states...I will be myself COMPLETELY. I dress the same at home, on vacation (which I never go on because that takes money that I don't have lol) or wherever. Just be yourself.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "stop dressing" or "stop wearing" anything American. That's not why Americans are hated.
    Just don't be ignorant. Don't be overly loud or obnoxious.
    Be curteous, respect the traditions and culture.
    Don't say... "Well, where I live, we eat/sleep/live/do things this way......" as if it is better.
    Smile, be polite. Experience new things. Don't just order a burger and fries, be adventurous (but not stupid)!
    Learn about where you are going before you go!!! - don't be totally uneducated about where you are heading!!!
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Avoid fanny packs! In fact, everyone should avoid them.

And if you must use one, DO NOT call it a fanny pack, unless you want everyone around you to laugh at you!

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know what they are called in Italy :laugh:
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers SOME PEOPLE! READ! She didn't say she was ashamed! There are places in the world where being American can get you in trouble or do you not keep up with the news and travel warnings? Some places will try to rip you off because you are American. Some places you will get kidnapped because you are American.

I think what her mother was trying to say was don't look like a tourist.

thank you for this!!

I've heard time and again that sneakers are a huge giveaway. I have friends who were denied seating in a restaurant in France because they were wearing sneakers
  • Snowbird73
    Snowbird73 Posts: 25
    Options
    That makes sense to me. When I was in Europe I tried to avoid looking like a tourist, and it worked until I opened my mouth. Immediately, I was asked, "You are from southern United States?"

I love your ticker. How did you do that?
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    To be honest it isn't as bad for Americans abroad now that G. W. Bush isn't president. I moved to the UK during his last term and people, strangers who overheard my accent, just HAD to know if I voted for him and what I thought, lol. Now, not so much :)

Relax. Have a good time. And if you are going to a main destination in Europe, in the summer, I highly doubt you will be the only yankee there :) ENJOY!