Carnivores – why?

Options

Replies

• christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I personally have found that I can't get in substantial protein intake from other food sources without using supplements if I do not eat meat. I LOVE LOVE LOVE veggies, fruits, lentils, beans, and tofu and vegan/vegetarian products. I incorporate them often into my diet, but I cannot get the same health benefits from them in terms of meeting my preferred protein intake without meat. Good question, btw...its often asked in reverse about why people go vegetarian, so hope some of the answers help.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What would I eat with my A1?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

So why?

Personal Choice!

/thread
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ... questions like this are as useful/silly as why people like coffee/the color blue/tattoos/camping. all fun, but people get way to testy about over really lame disagreements.

I love blue camping tattoos and anyone without one is the devil! I also don't believe in the devil, so it's a win-win for me.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but it’s not my intention.

However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

So why?

And please remove all of the “I like my meat rare” answers. That stuff is just nasty.

It tastes great. Besides that...........I try to stay away from Soy.....As a vegetarian......How would you suggest getting 180+ grams of protein in without eating meat or soy? for around 2k cals?

XSport Fitness 100% Whey Protein - 60 grams for 3 scoops... egg whites for breakfast 12 grams... greek yogurt 12 grams ... assorted nuts 6 grams... protein bar - 30 grams ... fake meat substitutes 12-20 grams each... IDK how I do it, but I am over on protein everyday. I am pretty sure my diary is open if you are really curious and not just being a meany.

you're still eating animals./part of animals if you're eating egg whites & yoghurt.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Good argument = High protein density. No comparable plant sources in terms of economy.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I like rare meat and I cannot lie,
    RARE MEAT!
    RARE MEAT!
    Breakdown!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians get fed up with being asked this question, and this post was a humorous response to "Vegetarians - why?" posted at

Thu 06/21/12 09:02 AM

"Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but its not my intention.

However, I just don't get it, and never will. There has never been a good argument presented to me. I figure because whenever I ask why, they almost always get offended. For the life of me, I don't understand why I can't ask for a reason?

So why?

And please remove all of the tofu answers. That stuff is just nasty. "

Now the tables are turned and look at the reponse! What, don't like defending your food choices?
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal

I'm certainly not going to eat a live animal.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Where I come from, we have yearly rituals to kill animals and eat them.

I used the knife on an animals throat around the age of 11. I have been cutting animals into smaller pieces helping my brothers and father since like 7.

I don't judge vegeterians. Vegeterians in Asia (The original vegeterians) don't judge me. They know that everybody is different and they respect them for it.

As to why would anyone enjoy eating meat? Why would anyone enjoy eating plants? Plants are living organisms too. Just because they don't have cute faces and eyes don't mean they're not living creatures

Calm down dear, it's only a discussion. :wink:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    For those of you that hunt, I commend you. I think that if someone wants to eat meat, they SHOULD kill it themselves. That is natural. Factory farming isn't. And the other person that said that cavemen didn't even eat vegetables and fruits, pretty sure you are wrong because plants did exist back then. Even native american indians had men hunting and women gathering plant based foods. I see nothing wrong with hunting, as long as the whole animal is being used and not wasted. If you kill a deer, you better eat ALL of the venison. You better do something constructive with the hide and the antlers.

As a vegetarian, I WISH people hunted instead of buying factory farmed food.

I hunt.....for bargains.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    It tastes great. Besides that...........I try to stay away from Soy.....As a vegetarian......How would you suggest getting 180+ grams of protein in without eating meat or soy? for around 2k cals?

beans and seeds; many carry a better protein punch than most meats.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Why Eat plants?!?!? They are living things too. Can you look your broccoli in the face when you eat it knowing it was once alive!?!?
    O_o.

But my answer is simple: I eat meat because it's the circle of life. :)
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It is delicious and high in protein. This overrides all other considerations.

A question to people who don't eat meat because eating meat is disgusting to you:

Why is 99.9% of the meat-substitute market designed to be as close as possible to the taste and texture of real meat? I've never understood why people who think meat is gross would want to eat Morningstar or other fake meat products.

I totally understand the moral/ethical objections to eating animals, even if I personally choose to eat them myself. But if meat is so gross, why do so many vegetarians eat so much fake meat?
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    Ding ding ding!!!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat... but it's the same as why do we eat ice cream or sugar or strawberries?

We eat them because most likely our mommy's and daddy's fed them to us as kids. We watched Lion King so we all know it's just the circle of life. And if I was in a pool with a great white shark, I'm sure I look pretty tasty to him too.

So next time you sit down (as I often do) just wonder, why do we eat anything? (BECAUSE WE ARE HUNGRY! duh ;) )
  • brandiwells1
    brandiwells1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't eat animals because they are innocent... I might consider cannibalism, though. Pass the bath salts...

You clearly haven't met my chickens. They are AHoles. I'm glad to eat them.

This is my favorite
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    BBQed bean sprouts just don't taste the same as ribs or steaks, that's why.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Because I have that much love and adoration for bacon. If bacon were a veggie, then I'd be on that team.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Good argument = High protein density. No comparable plant sources in terms of economy.

meh, that's just lazy science. :) and it's not even all that well-thought. the economy of raising beef vs. raising beans or pumpkins is remarkably in favor of the beans & pumpkins.

don't underestimate the holy legume.