Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like "it is what it is." A perfect statement to describe the inevitability of the issue, you can't change it no matter what.

Me too. It's a little bit zen for Western speak, but it captures something important.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

And "I'm five-by-five." Faith used to say that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the time. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_by_five
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Irregardless.

A woman at work says this all the time. In my head I am screaming "its just REGARDLESS". The two negatives (ir & less) cancel one another out.

This is my big one - I cring every time I hear it.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Daft as a brush. What's daft about a brush?

This might be a misquote from a Douglas Adams novel, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." During a memorable part, something is referred to as being 'daft as a bush,' meaning 'really really not very smart.'
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bread and Butter and Duck under the table

WTF never ever ever got that one.

O.o

I've never even heard that one.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    One that I've hard more times than I can count and still am perplexed over. "There's more than one way to skin a cat".. umm, I find one to be one too many. Why can't we just say, "there more than one way to resolve the problem you are dealing with". To the point and dosen't scar me with a horrible mental image.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    "It could be worse"

:huh:
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "Pot calling the kettle black". I understand the meaning, but I don't think I've seen many pots or kettles that are black?

I used to get it mixed up and accidentally say, "Coffee calling the kettle black", because that made more sense hahah

Also "Get over it". Oh thank you, kind sir! Now that you have said that, I feel so much better and don't care anymore!!

This comes from the time when pots (saucepans, stewpots) and kettles were both put over an open fire or on a range so they would both be blackened by smoke
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

^^ I'm a brat. I want my cake AND I want to eat it. I'm totally selfish
  • jsmith1352
    Options
    I deal with this also! A woman at work who is also a friend says this all the time!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    if the shoe was on the other foot.

I know what its supposed to imply but everytime I hear it, i think that would just be uncomfortable :tongue:
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    "Don't tell me what to do!"

Yes, I will when I want to, how I want to and if it is justified. Sheesh...that is what coaches are for...ARGH!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    One that I've hard more times than I can count and still am perplexed over. "There's more than one way to skin a cat".. umm, I find one to be one too many. Why can't we just say, "there more than one way to resolve the problem you are dealing with". To the point and dosen't scar me with a horrible mental image.

full agreement on this one.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I cringe when people say "panties in a bunch". Stupidest saying ever.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    "Bless her heart" or "I love her to death but"
    In the south either of theses phrases come with a really snotty comment about "her", such as, "Love her to death but she's so stupid she has to unhook her bra to count to twelve."
    I even heard a minister say his wife was just couldn't balance a checkbook, bless her heart!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    "Save the drama for your mama!!"

Sorry my mother doesnt want any of my drama or anyone elses for that matter. Who's mother does?? Lmao....
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I hate when people say "funnier" that's not a word... it's "more fun"! :noway:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ....... Or knickers in a twist!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Where I am in the UK, when people are hungover and have a dry mouth they say "my mouth feels like a buzzards crotch"... Seriously? You've tasted one to know that, have you?

:laugh: I've never heard that one but my mate from Sheffield once told me that his mouth tasted like 'old tramps boot'

never heard of that one either...... We scummy suffolkers say 'Got a mouth like ghandhis flip flop.... Nice... Never tried it!

Rum ol dew...
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Where I am in the UK, when people are hungover and have a dry mouth they say "my mouth feels like a buzzards crotch"... Seriously? You've tasted one to know that, have you?

:laugh: I've never heard that one but my mate from Sheffield once told me that his mouth tasted like 'old tramps boot'

never heard of that one either...... We scummy suffolkers say 'Got a mouth like ghandhis flip flop.... Nice... Never tried it!

Rum ol dew...

My Dad is a cockney and says that all the time :D