NO SWEETS TIL THANKSGIVING--

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,773 Member
    i am somewhat apprehensive about this thread.
    Perhaps this isn't true for all, but research has show that depriving yourself of the foods you love, including the occasional piece of dark chocolate or scoop of ice cream, can lead to overindulgence...
    Part of the cycle of unhealthy relationships with food stems from telling yourself you "can't have" certain things, including sugar in moderation.
    I applaud all of you for pulling together to test your will power if it something you feel you need to better your weight loss journey.
    But as I see it, it is an unsustainable plan...and if it were me, man, would I binge once thanksgiving came and I could finally eat sugar again!
    Please take my advice as simply another opinion.
    This is simply how I feel, and I would never want anyone to have to go through the mental and physical anguish of overindulging with something you've told yourself you can't have.
    In truth, it is all about balance. There will ALWAYS be candy, cookies, cakes, sugar around weather it be at the office, a party, a family gathering, etc. I just really feel it is important to teach yourself good habits
    that can extend past Thanksgiving and on through your entire life! And you can still eat what you want!
    That you for allowing me to express my opinion.
    I know I could have just as easily not said anything, but if anyone feels as I do or someone can recognize this may happen to them, then I think it is important.
    There is no one-size-fits-all plan to weightloss. Everyone needs to do what is best for them!
    I commend all of you!
    Best of luck, all!
    Sincerely, -OB:flowerforyou:

I'm not doing this to NEVER, EVER have sweets again. I was a little out of control, adding sweets in way too often, so doing this is a good way for me to get it back under control.

I have no intention of stuffing all the sweets I can grab in at Thanksgiving. I will pick one thing, maybe, and eat it.

The problem for many of us on here is that sweets and moderation do not go hand in hand. One sweet turns into this need for more and more. The more we eat, the more we need. It's easier to not eat it in the first place.

If somebody is good at self control and sweets, chances are, they have no reason to do this challenge and aren't part of this group.

I agree with you about moderation. I have also read such studies about deprivation and over indulgence, so I know where you are coming from.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    I'm with Lori-- I'm denying myself until Thanksgiving, and then will have a piece of pie.
  • I totally hear where you are coming from, leckel!
    I certainly don't have the moderation thing down when it comes to sweets.
    I guess I was just confused as to the motivation for not eating sweets, but as you explain it, it really makes sense.
    There are chemicals in the brains the high-fat, sugary, or high-carb foods trigger that create that feeling of craving more and more...so I know what it is like to feel like once you integrate sweets into your diet, it can be difficult to stop. So perhaps avoiding the temptation/triggers is a very good idea for some or all!
    Thanks for your reply!
    I was not trying to be intrusive at all.
    Good luck, everyone!
    Have a wonderful day!
    -OB:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    i am somewhat apprehensive about this thread.
    Perhaps this isn't true for all, but research has show that depriving yourself of the foods you love, including the occasional piece of dark chocolate or scoop of ice cream, can lead to overindulgence...
    Part of the cycle of unhealthy relationships with food stems from telling yourself you "can't have" certain things, including sugar in moderation.
    I applaud all of you for pulling together to test your will power if it something you feel you need to better your weight loss journey.
    But as I see it, it is an unsustainable plan...and if it were me, man, would I binge once thanksgiving came and I could finally eat sugar again!
    Please take my advice as simply another opinion.
    This is simply how I feel, and I would never want anyone to have to go through the mental and physical anguish of overindulging with something you've told yourself you can't have.
    In truth, it is all about balance. There will ALWAYS be candy, cookies, cakes, sugar around weather it be at the office, a party, a family gathering, etc. I just really feel it is important to teach yourself good habits
    that can extend past Thanksgiving and on through your entire life! And you can still eat what you want!
    That you for allowing me to express my opinion.
    I know I could have just as easily not said anything, but if anyone feels as I do or someone can recognize this may happen to them, then I think it is important.
    There is no one-size-fits-all plan to weightloss. Everyone needs to do what is best for them!
    I commend all of you!
    Best of luck, all!
    Sincerely, -OB:flowerforyou:

I'm not doing this to NEVER, EVER have sweets again. I was a little out of control, adding sweets in way too often, so doing this is a good way for me to get it back under control.

I have no intention of stuffing all the sweets I can grab in at Thanksgiving. I will pick one thing, maybe, and eat it.

The problem for many of us on here is that sweets and moderation do not go hand in hand. One sweet turns into this need for more and more. The more we eat, the more we need. It's easier to not eat it in the first place.

If somebody is good at self control and sweets, chances are, they have no reason to do this challenge and aren't part of this group.

I agree with you about moderation. I have also read such studies about deprivation and over indulgence, so I know where you are coming from.

:blushing: as in the 1 itty bitty pc of candy at halloween that turned into 1/2 container of brownies 2 wks later?

I have been sweet free for 3 days. My sugar came from fruit and a fruit protien recovery shake at the gym.

I thank you all for helping me on this journey. I would never had made it without you:flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    I would really like some ice cream right now, but I think I'll put on a pot of tea instead. I want to earn that Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake on Thanksgiving, darn it!
  • Marla64
    my kids made fudge last night-- I transferred it to a serving dish after dinner--

Not one sniff-- okay, so I sniffed my fool head off.

But not one taste--

Woot-- go me.

Come on Thanksgiving !
  • :embarassed: Count me in! I need to behave myself - Staff off the sweets that is. Help! Thats my weekness.:embarassed:
  • Marla64
    :embarassed: Count me in! I need to behave myself - Staff off the sweets that is. Help! Thats my weekness.:embarassed:

Mark!!! Welcome, sir-- (pssst-- there's a dude in the house)

Glad you popped in-- the sweets are killers. Each day, though, it gets easier-- one day at a time.

Report back in as you're led and let us know how you're doing--
  • 72lori
    Still hanging. 27 days. I might eat something Wednesday night when hubs and I are in DC and we go out to eat. Haven't decided for sure but I'm thinking about the possibility. I think I've earned it and managed to prove I can do this.
  • Marla64
    Do whatcha gotta do, Lori-- you've done great.

Just had a crapola run-- couldn't get out of my own way. Feel like crud.

But, got 3 miles in anyway-- :ohwell:
  • 72lori
    Do whatcha gotta do, Lori-- you've done great.

Just had a crapola run-- couldn't get out of my own way. Feel like crud.

But, got 3 miles in anyway-- :ohwell:

We shall see Marla. I am going to play it by ear. I know I am not going to pig out though. No intention of that!

Sorry your runs haven't been great. I ran the first time today in a long time, probably a month. I had myself running 3 miles several times a week, then my knees ached and I stopped. Trying to start back up in the gym, where the treadmill is kinder than the road.
  • Marla64
    Lori-- our sweet free friends are awful silent, eh?

No sweets today-- hanging tough.

Report in, people-- accountability is key.

Lets go!!! :angry:
  • 72lori
    Marla- silence usually means they don't want to come report..... anyway, none here. I'm still with ya. 29 days.
  • amk1725
    amk1725 Posts: 156
    Hey ladies....checking in!

I haven't done too bad but not great either. I ate a very large ooey gooey brownie last Friday and Sunday I had some Halloween candy (is it ever going to be gone?)

Brushed it off and back on track. Sweet free yesterday and today so far.

Everyone seems to be doing so good!! Keep it up!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    I'm still here, sweet free.

I do have to admit, it's getting tough to keep walking by that stupid candy dish at work and it will be more tough to say "no thank you" to cookie cake this afternoon. Is it Thanksgiving yet?
  • Marla64

I do have to admit, it's getting tough to keep walking by that stupid candy dish at work and it will be more tough to say "no thank you" to cookie cake this afternoon. Is it Thanksgiving yet?

Almost.... hang in there, Shuntae!!
  • SatelliteCrush80

I did it...no cookie, no pound cake and no candy! Normally, it's not that hard for me...but I get some b!tchin' sweet cravings for about a week before my TOM. I have actually started drinking hot tea with honey in the evenings and an occasional soda during the day. I know the diet soda is really no better, but if it's going to keep me from an all out bender, I'll take it.
  • Marla64

I did it...no cookie, no pound cake and no candy! Normally, it's not that hard for me...but I get some b!tchin' sweet cravings for about a week before my TOM. I have actually started drinking hot tea with honey in the evenings and an occasional soda during the day. I know the diet soda is really no better, but if it's going to keep me from an all out bender, I'll take it.

seriously-- I'd take it, too--

It's so hard staying true when you feel like crap. I'm so tired and bloating beyond recognition from medicine, I think-- 10 pounds since Halloween with no sweets, faithful calories and exercise. I ended up today having a small McDonald's fries today 'cause I thought, "WTH, like it's gonna matter right now?"

Still within cals today and will run in a bit. But, my gosh-- if this water doesn't leave soon I'm gonna go nuts.

I was able to get my blood pressure medicine filled, and am cutting back on my arthritis pain stuff since it's sodium based-- we'll see what happens. Interestingly enough, the foot pain today is better than it has been in a long time-- with only one pain pill yesterday and today. Go figure?
  • 72lori
    Way to hang in there guys!

I had one bite of a cannoli last night at dinner. Hubs ordered it and kept shoving it in my face, saying "Take a bite, just take one". I didn't even want a bite, but eventually tried it just to be nice. :tongue: It was alright, but one bite was cool.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    :bigsmile:

WTG, folks! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.