How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options
I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet. **Edited to include that this is merely an observation, not that I think we should be at the same point or compare our relationships to other people. I know that ours is much different than others and I respect that I just feel like it is time for us to be taking next steps.

So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    A year and a half
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just under 4 years.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    3 years and at the same level that you guys are. but that's not my choice! i hate that men have all the power in this ;)
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    Four and a half years and still not living together or engaged. We're young too (20 and 24) and currently can't afford the living costs here :(
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    2.5 years.

May have been sooner but we're long distance.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    9 months. Please don't use other people's lives as a way to direct yours. That will not end well.
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    4 years - met when we were 17. If you really want to get married; why don't you take the bold step and ask him instead
  • Han2409
    Han2409 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    18 months though close for over 6 years first :)
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Exactly two years (we got engaged aged 22 - me and 23 - him). We had lived together about a year when we got engaged.
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    It was after 6 months of dating back in 1987. We married 1 year later and have stayed married for over 24 years. We are at our happiest now. Kids are almost full grown. Life is great. Good luck.
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    Three months!

The timing is going to be different for everyone. Do what's right for you!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My fiance proposed to me on our 6th year dating anniversary. I am 23 and he is going to be 24 in August. We started dating when I was 16 and he was 17.

It's different for everyone, be patient. I felt like I waited forever, and then when it happened I was the happiest girl in the world! :smile:

We bought a house together in September 2010, we lived together for 2 years before he asked me, but dated 6 years.
    Our 7th year dating anniversary is coming up in October, and we are having an August 2013 wedding.
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    If you really want to get married; why don't you take the bold step and ask him instead

Also, this ^^^ :-)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    2 months :blushing:
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    I got pregnant at 17 by a guy I honestly didn't know too well, we had only been dating for maybe a month. He got a job working with the navy, we kept the baby, and got married when she was 3 months old. Our three year anniversary is approaching, and we're about to close on our own home, we're happy and he's an amazing guy.

Point of the story is love can come after 10 years, or 10 days. I don't think there's a clock on it. Remember, the only thing that changes is a title, you're still the same people and share the same love. Good luck to you.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    me and my partner got together when we were 16 engaged after 2 years, bought a house together 3 years ago getting married this year after over 9 years off been together.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    6 months and been happily married 11 and together 12,but definitely it's something you guys have to figure out you can't look at anyone else's relationship but your own!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Been married 30 years now, he proposed 4 nights after our first date. We were married eight months later. I still get roses on the anniversary of our first date.

Everyone is different, if you are ready why don't you pop the question?
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Two months. And we were married four months after that. It's worked out very well for us - married nine happy years so far, and we just had our third baby - but I still wouldn't recommend moving that quickly to anyone. Looking back I totally understand why my mother was freaked out.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    12 years!!!! Had a child after 8 years, bought a house together at 10 years, engaged at 12, another child at 13 and married after 14 years lol I wasn't even sure I wanted to get married until he asked me and put me on the spot :bigsmile:

Happily married for 5 years now, together 19 years in total! By the time we got married we had been through everything that could possibly break us up but we were still together, which means (as far as we're concerned) we'll be together forever :happy:

Moving in together, having children and buying houses are all really stressful - if you can survive all of that then you've got a real good chance of lasting - but's that's just my opinion!