How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    We were together 3 years before we got engaged. We were engaged for two years (while I was in grad school), and just got married. I completely understand about wanting to at least be engaged by the time you buy or move into your new house...even though you've already been together for a long time, you want to make sure the relationship is one that's leading toward a "forever" committment. Sounds cheesy, but it's true.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    3 months. Happily married for over 6 years now. I regret it sometimes because I was so young and I missed out on a lot of things, but overall I am content with my decision.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Coming up on 5 years in August! I'll be 23 and he'll be 27. Poor baby still even has trouble saying the word 'marriage' sometimes.

But, we have been living together for 4 1/2 years, so we pretty much act like a married couple anyway. :-P We even treat our two dogs like our children.

I'm hoping this year is the year, though! He's got a good, solid job and we've been talking about selling our house. Crossing my fingers!
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    about 7 years. Getting married in TWO WEEKS HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIII
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    13 years we won some money on the lottery he said to me if you can book it for in 2weeks lets do it AND I DID :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    We were dating for 2 weeks when we started talking about marriage, married 3 months later. Married for 10 years now.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was friends with my husband for 6 years before we got engaged we were engaged and dated for a year and this September is our 5 year anniversary.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    We were together 3 years before we got engaged. We were engaged for two years (while I was in grad school), and just got married. I completely understand about wanting to at least be engaged by the time you buy or move into your new house...even though you've already been together for a long time, you want to make sure the relationship is one that's leading toward a "forever" committment. Sounds cheesy, but it's true.

EXACTLY! I want to know this is a forever kind of thing. I feel like offering that committment to someone proves that. It isn't about a ring or a piece of paper from the state it is the idea behind it all.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    1 1/2 years.
    got married at 22.
    been married for 6 years.
  • kjobb78
    kjobb78 Posts: 6
    Options
    My husband and I started dating when I was 17 and he was 18. We got engaged on my 19th birthday and got married not quite 2 years later. We have been happily married for almost 13 years and have 2 wonderful daughters.
  • ShylaBrown22
    Options
    I was with my guy for 5 years before we got Engaged :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    9 Years :laugh:
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    We were together for 3 years before getting engaged. We have been engaged for two years now (i hate the thought of planning a wedding). But we already own a house together. :) As long as you are happy together, let it happen when it happens. Just enjoy everyday you get to spend together :)
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My man and I are not engaged, but we're coming up on four years together and are about to move in to an apartment together. I'm 22 and just graduated and he's turning 25 soon after we move in.

I know some people who are more traditional feel it's better to be engaged or married before living together, but I feel the opposite. I hope we live together for at least a couple years before we get engaged (if we get engaged) because I really want to make sure this will work. Also I won't be able to afford a wedding for like 5 years hah so I'm in no rush.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had been together just over 2 years when he proposed :) We talked a lot about getting married well before he actually asked me. We knew we wanted to be together, and that hasn't changed. He is also in the Army and dating someone in the military is kinda difficult. Being married is MUCH easier, LOL. I won't go into detail about that, but we made an excellent decision to get married and it would not have made a bit of difference if we had waited. :heart:
  • ashleygonzalez1
    Options
    We met 12/31/96 and he proposed 5/12/97 and we were married 5/23/98. I was 20 and he was 29. We've been married for 14 years and every year just keeps getting better. Do what is in you heart, not what others are doing around you. Each relationship is different. :)
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We will be together 11 years come this september and he has says someday. but my situation is slightly messed i i would have probably either been celebrating my 10th yr anniversary or divorced by now... We got pregnant early in our relationship. when he found out i was pregnant he proposed but because i felt he was doing it because i was pregers i said no but i explained why. I wasnt going to get married due to being pregers i want it to be because we love each other. he hasnt asked again since. over the past couple of years his parents split after 37yrs of marriage and i now believe it is because of their marriage that he avoids the idea. someday i WILL get married! i guess time will tell!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    6 months. We got married on the first anniversary of our first date. We got divorced before our first wedding anniversary! It seems to me that, even though you are young, you've been together for a LONG time. Longer than I've EVER been with one person (and I'm 39). If you can still stand to be near him and you haven't contemplated killing him or yourself, I think you probably should take the plunge (= Also, I would definitely not buy a house together if you aren't married to him. That just gets messy if you ever break up.

My sister once (maybe more than once!) gave me some pretty good advice: If you're happy with him more than you're sad or angry, then he's probably worth your time. If you're unhappy more than you are happy, it's time to get out.

I know quite a few people that got married very young who are still happily married.
  • shiloh911
    shiloh911 Posts: 13
    Options
    We were together about 7 1/2 years before getting engaged. We'll have been together about 9 1/4 years by the time we're married in January. We've been dating since high school but waited to get engaged until we both finished college. Then we waited to start planning the wedding since I was starting grad school and there was just too much going on.

I know what you mean about it seeming everyone else around you is getting married. I'm 24 and he's 25 and a bunch of our friends who haven't been together as long have or are getting married before us. But don't worry about them! Do what's right for you. Sometimes I don't feel like anything will be different, but then I remember that I won't wonder if people will be offended if I say we live together and he can be on my health insurance and we'll get a tax break. All practical stuff of course, but we've been very committed to each other from the start and so getting married is really just a formality for us. Anyways, good luck with your decision!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    2 years :-D