How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• tinksmommy2006
    Options
    we where together 1 year when we got engaged but not married for another 3 after that....and we lived together the whole 4 years before marriage....you can never move to slow when getting married...the more you know about your partner the better.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    5 months but didnt get married until 8 months into our serious relationship.... however please also realize by then I had already known him and dated on and off casually for a total of 11 years

In my humble opinion and this is me and BY NO MEANS advice I wouldn't own a house with anyone I wasn't married too.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    About 3 months, I was 18 he was 30. We have been together 11 years now and are still "Only" engaged. His family was a bit more pushy then mine on the whole "marriage and kids" thing (as if you can't do one without the other :huh: )but quickly came to realise that 1) We'll get married when it's right for us to do so and 2) they better be happy with the grand kids, nieces, nephews and various other relations they already have as they won't be getting any more from us :laugh: . Everyone is different, for some people it's more important then others and for different reasons. Talk to him, explain (if you haven't already :smile: ) maybe he just doesn't know it means so much to you :smile:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    3 years and at the same level that you guys are. but that's not my choice! i hate that men have all the power in this ;)

Who says men have all the power? They have power because we give it to them! You should have this conversation with him instead of with us!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    a month. and yes we are still together
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    3 years and at the same level that you guys are. but that's not my choice! i hate that men have all the power in this ;)

Who says men have all the power? They have power because we give it to them! You should have this conversation with him instead of with us!

I have had this conversation with him ;) I just wanted to hear other people's opinions and know I'm not the only girl that wants to be engaged after 6 1/2 years.
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    6 months, and we did everything backwards. He stayed the night at my house once and never left, so we were living together before it was "official" :laugh: We got married November 6th 2011, 4 days after out 1 year anniversary. It happened so quickly but I knew I was supposed to be with him the night we met.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    we got each others names tattooed after 2 weeks. so i guess 2 weeks.
    married 10 years in october. crazy in love like day one. we rock.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there was no proper engagement. LOL. We had our first date on a Tuesday. A week later, we were practically living together and saying "I love you" and talking in terms of "when we get married."

It all fell into place, and a year later, we got married.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    We aren't engaged yet, but we've been together for almost 5 1/2 years. Our first Christmas together (9 months after we started dating), he bought me a promise ring, so I know we'll get married someday. We're also pretty young still, I'm 21 and he's 22 and we're still going to college. We've lived together for two years now.

I understand the frustration about friends getting engaged and married or having kids. I'm personally not ready for kids, but I would love to get engaged/married. I see people that I graduated High School with getting married and engaged and part of me feels a tinge of jealousy. Then, I realize that it's okay! We obviously love each other, we've been through almost everything you can imagine together, and instead of spending money on a wedding or an engagement, we've been able to travel to Mexico, and California together.

I hope you get your house soon!
  • Eireann15
    Eireann15 Posts: 124
    Options
    2 years
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    9 months...happily married 7 years
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    5-1/2 years - And we were 21 and 28 we when met!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me and mine have been together 7 years!!!!! Still no engagement, though I have given him a deadline. I am not getting any younger and I am willing and able to move on to the next
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were together for just over a month when we got engaged, got married 2 months later. Been together over 7 years now :)
  • neko21
    neko21 Posts: 21
    Options
    3 months before we engaged and 6 months after that was the wedding. We had known each other for a while before hand as good friends though.

I was just 21 and he was 22 when we got married.
  • kashrs1234
    kashrs1234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    together for 4 years before we got engaged :)
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We dated for about 5.5 years before we got engaged, but that was because we were in college when we started dating, and I waited till her last semester to propose. We were married 6 months later, and this September will be married 16 years.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Engaged in 3 months, married 4 months after that. A fast relationship can have it's bumps though, because you really are still getting to know each other along the way! No regrets, and have been married 3 years now!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I was with my SO for 4 years, but during that time we were in a long distance relationship. I was 15 and he was 20 (A little scary for my parents, but he is a wonderful person) when we started our boyfriend, girlfriend relationship. Then, on my 18th birthday he proposed to me; even asked my dad permission, which he was nervous about since my parents were always hard on him what with the age gap and all. We got married in 2008, we've been married for almost 4 years now. When you know, you know. It's okay to wait a while before getting engaged. It's also okay to wait a while to get married.
    Talk to your SO and see how he feels about it. You two are planning on getting a house together so it might just seem right to get engaged to him too.