Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    the reason they say cheese is unhealthy is most you get from store are processed and they add extra ingredients in them. with your natural cheese it is very healthy. not always easily accessible. I love the baby bell cheese and the laughing cow cheese wedges. I do eat cheese have to really limiit it since it triggers my allergies.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I don't drink milk, so I eat cheese. Even the processed stuff has the basic nutrients I need. And I could use the extra sodium, having a low blood pressure issue most of the time.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?

I really hope not because I'm pretty sure my metabolism would be non existent at this point!
    That's not muscles in your profile pic, that's cheese gromit!

I knew my results were too good to be true thank you for pointing this out LOL!!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I used to be the biggest cheese-lover in effing world, then I discovered the truth about dairy and it changed EVERYTHING!

Cow milk is meant for baby cows, just like human milk is meant for baby humans. We are the only species that drinks another animals milk. It's not normal. As far as health, the acidity of milk creates an acidic environment in the body and actually LEACHES calcium from our bones. THe milk does a body good campaign is just a marketing ploy for the dairy industry.

Not only that: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 750 million pus cells in every liter of milk (about two pounds). In Europe, regulators allow 400 million pus cells per liter.

Since it takes 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese, a pound of cheese can contain up to 7.5 billion pus cells. If your American cheese is sliced so that there are 16 slices to a pound, that single slice of American or Swiss can contain over 468 million pus cells.

Eighty percent of milk protein consists of casein, a tenacious glue. Casein is the glue that is used to hold a label to a bottle of beer. Try to scrape off one of those labels, then consider the effects of casein in your body. Casein is the glue that holds together wood in furniture.

Behold the power of glue and behold the power of horrible bowel movements. Casein is a foreign protein and your body reacts to its presence by creating an antibody. That antibody-antigen reaction creates histamines. Anti-histamines (like Benadryl) are used to counter the effects of histamines. Mucus and phlegm are produced as a result of cheese consumption.

Not to mention if you don't drink organic, you're consuming hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides.

Also there's tons of resources and sources here: http://www.notmilk.com

I've been off dairy for 9 months now... it wasn't easy since casein is an addictive opiate-like protein meant to attract babies to eat more to become big and strong... mother nature never intended for us to keep drinking it forever. After 2 weeks of withdrawals, I don't miss it at all anymore! There are SO MANY substitutes, life is good and I feel happier and healthier! :)
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You mean we cant believe EVERYTHING we read on the internet? what?!?!

LOL
  • Carissamr
    Carissamr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think cheese is unhealthy...I just avoid it to some degree because of the calorie content...If I am having a salad or tacos cheese doesn't make that big of a difference so I skip it...when I have a burger I choose between cheese or a bun...I usually skip Parmesan cheese on my spaghetti and limit the amount of ricotta I eat if the meal we are having contains it...It all really depends on how many calories I have already consumed and if I feel it is worth it to me
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love cheese so much... i dont think i could live without cheese. and not the process kind cuz thats kind of plasticky but the kind u have to cut up n stuff

as long as you eat it in moderation i dnt c the problem.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Because they're whack.

Wiggety wiggety wiggety whack.

truth!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    because i'm lactose intolerant.... also high fat foods make me nauseous :/ but it has also got the disadvantage of all the fat and sodium which i would find hard to fit into my macros daily. I'd rather spend 150 cals worth of cheese on something more filling and healthy to be honest.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Now I am an English teacher who drills the importance of adequately sourcing your claims into teenagers for a living.

I figured an English teacher would shudder violently while reading forum posts as they often contain fallacies, misappropriated punctuation, text talk and other atrocities. The illiterate horror within would disassemble even the toughest English foundations.
    Not to mention the overuse of emoticons. *Insert winking icon here*
    Is this how you toughen up for students?

As for cheese, I refuse to separate myself from it but understand that we must moderate our bond. For us to be seen together frequently would cause a great scandal.
  • WadeyLady
    WadeyLady Posts: 18
    Options
    Grilled Haloumi and ham toastie!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Now I am an English teacher who drills the importance of adequately sourcing your claims into teenagers for a living.

I figured an English teacher would shudder violently while reading forum posts as they often contain fallacies, misappropriated punctuation, text talk and other atrocities. The illiterate horror within would disassemble even the toughest English foundations.

As for cheese, I refuse to separate myself from it but understand that we must moderate our bond. For us to be seen together frequently would cause a great scandal.

I have learned to let a lot of grammatical stuff slide past me, both online and in conversation. Also, I am sure my own posts are not completely free of those errors you mention, but I try my best. I have to admit that I do like emoticons though. Hey, I still put smiley face stickers on kids' tests and quizzes. You'd never know they were past adolescence -- they get such a kick out of stickers.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Cheese makes me fart!

Stinkytacobell.gif
  • NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    Too much of ANYTHING can be "unhealthy". Even fruits and vegetables in large moderations can be "unhealthy"...:smile:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz probably told them it was true.
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cheese is better than chocolate :) haha
  • direwolfprincess
    Options

I have learned to let a lot of grammatical stuff slide past me, both online and in conversation. Also, I am sure my own posts are not completely free of those errors you mention, but I try my best. I have to admit that I do like emoticons though. Hey, I still put smiley face stickers on kids' tests and quizzes. You'd never know they were past adolescence -- they get such a kick out of stickers.

Well in that case you rock! High school was a miserable experience. A smiley face sticker would have made it slightly less painful
    I wish the office would implement the "gold star" sticker routine. I think it would improve morale!
  • direwolfprincess
    Options
    Dr. Oz probably told them it was true.

I can't even count the number of times someone has told me to do something because they saw it on Dr. OZ!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I
    Not only that: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 750 million pus cells in every liter of milk (about two pounds). In Europe, regulators allow 400 million pus cells per liter.

Member of PETA for long?

The National Dairy Council wrote in a Dec. 21, 2007 email to ProCon.org:

"There is no pus in milk. All milk - including human breast milk - naturally contains somatic (white) cells, which are critical in fighting infection and ensuring good health.

People should get their family's nutrition advice from reputable, accredited health professionals, not animal rights groups like PETA [People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals]."

Dec. 21, 2007 - National Dairy Council (NDC)

Kim Polzin, Consumer Media Representative at the Midwest Dairy Association, wrote in a Spring 2003 article "Milk Quality Is Key to Consumer Confidence," published in the Dairy Initiatives newsletter:

"On the surface, somatic cell counts seem like a topic that would interest only dairy farmers, veterinarians, and dairy processors. The impact of somatic cell counts on protein levels and cheese making seems far removed from things a consumer might think about while visiting the grocery store.

Enter People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and its 'Got Pus?' campaign, which attempts to 'alert consumers to impurities in the U.S. milk supply, particularly the high levels of bacteria-harboring pus.' Their so-called proof? Somatic cell counts...

[PETA] goes on to discuss the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance and even uses a state-by-state list of average SC [somatic cell] counts published by Hoard's Dairyman as 'evidence.' These activists are asking the public to abandon milk - one of the most tested, wholesome, and nutritious foods available.

The dairy checkoff is working to make sure consumers are not swayed by PETA's ridiculous and incorrect claims. There is no pus in milk."

Spring 2003 - Kim Polzin

Jeffrey W. Hull, MD, FAAP, practicing pediatrician, provided the following response to the question "Do you feel that it is accurate to state that there is indeed pus in milk?" in a Jan. 4, 2008 email to ProCon.org:

"No. Pus contains much more than simply white cells. There are dead neutrophils present, live nutrophils, dead tissue cells, blood proteins, dead and sometimes live bacteria...Pus is a pejorative and prejudicial term in this context, especially for material aimed at the scientifically naive. White cells - both neutrophils but also immunity bearing lymphocytes - are present in all mammalian milks. They have no bearing on the health of the beverage. Only bacterial or mycobacterial contamination of milk is of any relevance in my view."
  • aznewsh
    aznewsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's rotten milk - I don't like the taste of it and never have so not an issue.