Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Real cheese is fine in moderation. You don't want to eat a pound a day but who does that?
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    eferring to Kraft American sli

woah, how DARE you call that cheese? That is like calling 'white chocolate' chocolate. (illegal actually on that latter!)
    (I actually hate white chocolate, and it isn't that much more to get sliced cheese from the store compared to the prewrapped oil crap that Kraft makes.)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I eat cheese every day and not just light cheese. Any type of cheese. I love cheese and would never give it up.
    It didn't stop me from losing weight and getting body definition.
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I blame cheddar in part for my weight gain.. I thought of it as healthy but didn't realize I was eating hundreds of extra calories.. now I try limit it to 1 or 2 oz.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I consider it to be just as healthy as vodka. Get the good stuff, enjoy it responsibly, and move on with your life. :3

It's not a food that is required to maintain health, but it can help out people that need to add in more calorie dense foods and are unable to eat nuts and seeds.
  • chinaroad
    chinaroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cheese has fat in it...you can't lose weight if you eat food with fat in it!!!

BTW not my personal opinion lol

Really?!? Pretty sure I've eaten some fat today, and I'm still losing weight.
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    Options
    I won't touch Kraft Singles because it's not real cheese... it's "cheese food" (whatever that is).
    I like a nice slice of provolone once in a while. I also like to sprinkle mozzarella on my salad once in a while.
    I'll have a nice slice of real American cheese (from the deli) in a grilled cheese sandwich once in a blue moon, too.
    Cheese is good but don't overdue it, that's all.

Try spreading a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on your sandwich instead of cheese slices. It's only 30 calories and it's plenty!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    It is alright in moderation, just like anything else. But biologically, our bodies cannot digest cheese very well. It eventually causes problems in the system. Hence, Lactose Intolerance. My bf and my sis used to love cheese so much, now they eat it and it just makes them sick. I'll eat shredded Mozzarella or Cheddar once in a while, but I would never eat it by the block like they used to. :P
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese...I try to keep my fat low. It's not a problem since I don't eat processed foods. I don't even but pre shredded cheese. It has starch I don't need. I shred my own. I think it's fine as long as you go easy on it. I don't eat tons of it.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but I for one will never give up cheese completely! Cheese, cheese, cheesy cheese!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Because they have an unhealthy relationship with food. I love cheese and all its glory ;p
  • KristelRondeau
    Options
    I have read that all dairy is unhealthy mainly because after the age of i think 2 we lose the digestive enzymes in our throat to break down the dairy before it hits our stomach. If that doesn't occur then our body can't properly digest it and then it is bad ( one reason why so many people are lactose intolerant)

i still eat it though, it's one of my favorite things!! :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I find that cheese is unhealthy. It is VERY high calorie. I have almost completely cut cheese out of my diet and I'm really pleased with that. I also avoid dairy (milk, etc.). Cheese is more "calorie dense" than milk.
    If you want to lose weight, it's pretty smart to not eat cheese.

Sure, cheese in moderation is OK (to some degree).

And of course processed cheese and stuff is worse. My parents always got cheese at the Bright Cheese Factory, I doubt most people have heard of that cuz it's in the middle of no where, but it's supposed to be really good quality food. Still - high calorie!

So yes, in conclusion, cheese is VERY unhealthy.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    http://www.chacha.com/question/does-dairy-slow-down-your-metabolism

This looks like a very reliable source...feel free to use it as a reference :bigsmile:

What makes you think that a source called chacha is reputable? I don't know... I also don't know about this site: http://www.nutralegacy.com/blog/general-healthcare/top-10-delicious-foods-that-speed-up-metabolism/ that lists cheese as one of the top 10 foods to speed up your metabolism. Let's find a site that actually tested the claims rather than just repeating what "I heard somewhere...."
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cheese, well dairy, is not good for your system. It causes a lot of constipation, which in turn can lead to rectal cancer in men. Cow's have 4 (?) stomachs vs our 1, which itself shows us that we cannot digest cow's milk like a calf (who the milk is meant for). Human milk for human babies, animal milk is for animal babies..
    The calcium that is found in animal milk actually gets depleted when consumed by a human (due to the acidity inthe dairy products which the body fights, so the calcium gets peed out instead of being absorbed into bones. "Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age. (“Case-Control Study of Risk Factors for Hip Fractures in the Elderly”. American Journal of Epidemiology. Vol. 139, No. 5, 1994).

Looking for replacement for milk? Almond, oat, hemp, hazelnut etc.
    Looking for excellent sources of calcium that will not harm you, but will actually boost your health?
    -collard greens, blackstrap molasses, kale, turnip greens, tempeh, soybeans, okra, bok choy, mustard greens, tahini, brocoli, almonds..
    Note, none of this will make you unhealthy!!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple of comments recently on here that have flat out said cheese is a "naughty" food and "unhealthy". I understand the argument for American cheese since it's processed, but fresh cheese is considered unhealthy? Enlighten me, because outside of it being a calorie dense food (as are nuts, but people don't consider that unhealthy), I don't see the problem.

The only reason I'm even questioning it is because when I saw those comments, no one disputed their claim so it has me wondering if my thought process towards cheese is incorrect.

Edit: I'm not referring to people on a low fat diet. I understand their reason for not wanting cheese. I'm referring to people who eat a moderate or high level of fat.

I don't understand it either. To be honest, I've read so much different stuff about low fat vs. high fat vs. low carbs vs. no carbs vs... all these other things. My head is SO confused with all of this conflicting information.

I've been stuck at the same weight for quite some time now. I look back at when I was losing lots of weight and I usually had a CHEESE quesadilla for dinner every night (though within my calorie goal). I'm almost about to start doing this for dinner again, since it seems like it worked back then!

I love cheese it is low carb and high in protein, I just count it in my calorie count. I also get dairy this way. When you lost the weight with the quesadilla was it a low carb tortilla shell? If so which one? This sounds so good I am making one now. Thanks
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Here is the nutritional content of three cheeses per 1 ounce serving

Cheddar = 0 carb, 9 fat, 7 protein = 110 cal
    Swiss = 0 C, 6F, 6P = 78 cal
    Mozzarella = 1 C, 5 F. 7 P = 73 cal

The fat content is rather high. If you consider the percentages then fat makes up about 60% of intake and protein 40%. the average person should get 55% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat so cheese really puts your fat out of balance.

I have a terrible time trying to keep my fat consumption below 20% but I also have many days where I have excess calories due to my exercise regimen so I'm not concerned

Cheese is a great food to eat if you have excess calories to consume.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    the average person should get 55% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat

Says who? Those numbers are fine but they're not my goals at all.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Definitely didn't expect this many responses but I'm very glad to have them. I appreciate everyone (from both sides of the coin) for answering.

The people who call it unhealthy tend to mention saturated fats, high calorie, and lactose intolerance as the reason. I don't equate calorie dense food with unhealthiness, I don't think fats are bad for our system in moderation, and I'm not lactose intolerant and if anything, eating cheese causes me to use the bathroom more. If these are the main reasons cheese is "unhealthy" I think I'll stick with my original conclusion; that it is part of a healthy diet for the average person.

Thank you all for contributing!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Ok, I should just leave this one alone, but I can't resist. (Better I save my resistance for other things.)
    Cow milk is meant for baby cows, just like human milk is meant for baby humans. We are the only species that drinks another animals milk.
    Not only that: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 750 million pus cells in every liter of milk (about two pounds). In Europe, regulators allow 400 million pus cells per liter.

There are many things human do that other animals don't. Joining MFP for one. So, just because other animals don't do it, doesn't mean it's unhealthy or bad.

A liter of milk weighs roughly 35 ounces, just a bit more than water (also about 35 ounces). I'd guess pus isn't much denser than milk. So, there's about 32 ounces of pus in milk and just 3 ounces of other stuff? Hmmm... I would doubt it even if another response hadn't provided additional information. As I read it, and I'm not an expert on this, the PETA statement confuses somatic cells with pus. Pus is found in some milk, but not at the quantities implied, and it can be in human, mother's milk too. More sources (on both sides):

http://www.med.nyu.edu/healthwise/article.html?hwid=hw98039
    http://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000969
    http://www.ansci.umn.edu/dairy/dinews/12-1-confidence.htm
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/404/404-038/404-038.html
    https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1794/5539/Pathogenic_streptococci_and_milk_pasteurization.pdf?sequence=1 (Apparently this topic has been popular before. This article is from 1923).
    https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1794/5539/Pathogenic_streptococci_and_milk_pasteurization.pdf?sequence=1
    https://www.msu.edu/user/galljas1/paper2.htm
    http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/sects/qmps/Internal/WDM/5 Proactive Milk Quality Monitoring SCC.pdf