Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My stomach is a mess from an eating disorder when I was younger, and even the smallest amount of alcohol is agonizing in there! I've lost touch with some friends because I don't want to party anymore, but it just isn't worth it to me. I also don't enjoy wasting those calories... I'd rather use empty calories elsewhere :)
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    i cant get through 7 pages of i dont drink...am i the only one who DOES drink on MFP??!! *scratches head*
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    i do!
  • Jonnym132000
    Options
    trying to stop. have stopped in the past and felt great and have started hitting the bottle more and more lately and its not good for me for a variety of reasons. I workout really hard and then ruin in with drinking. Really not smart! stopping again, today.....now.
    anyone thats on here that can support me and help me, feel free to add me!
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I toast to the bride and groom at weddings, that's about it. It's a bit annoying at some functions when people keep urging me to have a drink. But they eventually give up and move on.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    3 glasses of wine... ever.... I don't drink; well unless if you count water, and the odd soda... :D I watched my brothers during alcohol fueled episodes, and seen my sister after she was beaten up by her drunk (now ex) husband... I don't want to cause anyone pain or tears on that level.
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old, and I don't drink at all. The taste doesn't really appeal to me, and I honestly can't see the appeal of excessively drinking that other students in my university can see.. Maybe some day I'll just have the odd glass of wine, but not right now, I've no intention to drink.

(P.S. I'm from the UK, and it's legal to drink from 18 years old...though that hasn't stopped some people I know from drinking as young as 12 years..)
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love a drink.

Red wine is a nice accompaniment to most meals, and there's nothing else that can make cheese taste better.

Admittedly, its not a diet food, but I've never been a slave to Soda's or ranch dressing, so each to his own.

To all those commenting about avoiding the mind altering aspects of booze, you might want to check on the various effects the new food and fitness choices you're making are having on your brain.

I doubt there's much we all do that doesn't have some psychoactive effect, whether its fasting, low carbing, exercising, or just plain being hungry.

Like I say, nothing wrong with the odd drink.

I totally agree. I am lucky enough to live in the centre of British brewing at a time when real ales produced in small amounts by independent brewers, aka microbreweries, are available everywhere. There are some fantastic beers being brewed right now, and I would like to try all of them. I very rarely get drunk because I know what my limit is (three halves over an evening), I alternate each half pint with tap water, because its the law to offer free tap water in UK pubs, and I log the calories when I do drink. My father was an alcoholic, so I do appreciate the terrible effects alcohol has on some people, but I don't personally drink just to get drunk and I think it's a shame to cut out a wonderful traditional foodstuff that gives you a nice mellow buzz and is made from pure ingredients. Each to his own, but if you're buying, I'll have a half of Kernal IPA. Cheers!

Aww, I love real ale so much! this post made me hurt :-( cos now i cant touch the stuff!
    pretty much as soon as i started losing weight i lost the ability to drink beer- it makes me sick, even a half! I think i have developed an aversion :-(
    !
    Never fear though british brewing industry, i still prefer to frequent CAMERA pubs, and where possible i drink english cider instead :-)

To those who dont drink, i admire your lifestyle choice :-)

A frosty cold dry cider when i finish work i think......
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I actually have an allergy to it so I don't drink. Wasn't much of a drinker when I could so I don't miss it. It took a while for people to get a clue and stop bugging me about it. Now they just accept it and I don't have to keep bringing it up.
  • Montanarush
    Options
    God delivered me from alcohol in 1992. He delivered me from cigarettes in 2000 and from dipping tobacco in 2005. No matter what you all believe, I KNOW He did, because I could not have done it by myself. He also got me off of drugs and He is my strength in this "lifestyle change" I'm on now. He has completely changed my life and saved my life! God Bless you All! I am not ashamed of the Lord or the Gospel!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink. I used to bartend and drink a lot when I was in my teens/20s. I'm over that now, no need for a bar scene for me. I occasionally will have a few drinks, nothing major. Especially since logging calories and hearing how high the mixed drinks are, I don't even bother. Guess it's a win/win for my body. Alcohol isn't good for it anyways and i don't get the high calories.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    only cough syurp when I need it. :wink: LOL

I have alway been taught that alcohol really isn't an excuse for acting stupid, it just makes it easier to so.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I do dirnk alcohol on occasion, but I don't condemn those that don't. :)
    It is a personal choice and I respect other's choices.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't drink. The stuff made me do things I couldn't remember!!! :drinker:
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Never had the desire to drink. Come from a family of alcoholics and when I got old enough to understand, decided I never wanted to be like that. It's really bad when your family starts offering you beer before you hit thirteen.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I can't remember when I last had any proper spirits.

I think there was a hot day in May when I had a cold lager-shandy.

Erm... I think this month I may have had one glass of red.

So no I drink very little, as does my OH. I also don't enjoy the company of drunk people...
  • icedesign1
    icedesign1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 pounds when I quit drinking. I was a HEAVY drinker. I quit drinking and started walking every day. I went from 185 to 155 in a little under three months. Then for the last four years I have slowly been trying to take the rest of the weight off. Im at 140 now and my goal weight is between 120-125. Im 5'5 and 33 years old. I am glad I stopped drinking. It was the best thing I ever did for my self.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    I havent drank for 6 months and then before that was about 6 months also...it doesnt bother me....however when i was younger i drank like crazy 3/4 times a week of major binges....not any more LOL
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't drink. I have no reason to.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I drink everyday because i'm cool and thats what cool people do. If you want to be cool like me, you'll drink everyday and rock and roll all night.

hahaha, i use to do this EVERYDAY, got fat.