Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think it's because of the amount of calories in cheese, people just write it off as an unhealthy food.

In a way, I can see where that opinion would come from, as I LOVE cheese and if I don't control myself I could probably eat 400 calories worth in one sitting..

If I eat cheese then I have to weigh it out and make sure I stick to that amount because of the calorie content. But I wouldn't class it as "unhealthy".
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat cheese, please take a look- http://girlwholovestheworld.blogspot.com/2012/06/why-i-dont-eat-cheese.html

Don't believe everything you read (or watch on YouTube).

High levels of aluminum were only found in heavily processed cheese like Kraft singles.

Here is an explanation of cheese mites: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-cheesemonger-you-mite-like-63866
    When was the last time you heard of someone catching "cheese mite dermatitis"? If this is such an issue, why is it completely unheard of outside of a few obscure papers?

As far as saturated fat, I urge you to do your own research.

Who funds the fearmongering videos found on nutritionfacts.org? Who is behind these videos?

I only believe information from people that have studied nutrition and the facts, with scientific research, the only way I can do any more of my own research is to study chemistry,biology nutrition etc. and conduct my own research. Some companies also put the mites in cheese on purpose,that link states they go to the cheese on their own.

Also see: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1549763175867837730#
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Who funds the fearmongering videos found on nutritionfacts.org? Who is behind these videos?

Rilke, http://supervegan.com/blog/entry.php?id=1755

His day job - http://activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/o/136-humane-society-of-the-united-states

Thank you -- still doesn't say who funds the site though. But either way, this guy is a vegan activist. I have nothing against vegans at all, but those videos are bordering on radical. HSUS is certainly not what it appears either.
  • Dayquasar
    Options
    I used to be the biggest cheese-lover in effing world, then I discovered the truth about dairy and it changed EVERYTHING!

Cow milk is meant for baby cows, just like human milk is meant for baby humans. We are the only species that drinks another animals milk. It's not normal. As far as health, the acidity of milk creates an acidic environment in the body and actually LEACHES calcium from our bones. THe milk does a body good campaign is just a marketing ploy for the dairy industry.

Not only that: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 750 million pus cells in every liter of milk (about two pounds). In Europe, regulators allow 400 million pus cells per liter.

Since it takes 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese, a pound of cheese can contain up to 7.5 billion pus cells. If your American cheese is sliced so that there are 16 slices to a pound, that single slice of American or Swiss can contain over 468 million pus cells.

Eighty percent of milk protein consists of casein, a tenacious glue. Casein is the glue that is used to hold a label to a bottle of beer. Try to scrape off one of those labels, then consider the effects of casein in your body. Casein is the glue that holds together wood in furniture.

Behold the power of glue and behold the power of horrible bowel movements. Casein is a foreign protein and your body reacts to its presence by creating an antibody. That antibody-antigen reaction creates histamines. Anti-histamines (like Benadryl) are used to counter the effects of histamines. Mucus and phlegm are produced as a result of cheese consumption.

Not to mention if you don't drink organic, you're consuming hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides.

Also there's tons of resources and sources here: http://www.notmilk.com

I've been off dairy for 9 months now... it wasn't easy since casein is an addictive opiate-like protein meant to attract babies to eat more to become big and strong... mother nature never intended for us to keep drinking it forever. After 2 weeks of withdrawals, I don't miss it at all anymore! There are SO MANY substitutes, life is good and I feel happier and healthier! :)
    I also totally agree with this.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I love cheese!

My favorite is goat cheese and aged cheddar.
    I still managed to lose weight incorporating these in moderation.
  • Rilke
    Options
    I only believe information from people that have studied nutrition and the facts, with scientific research, the only way I can do any more of my own research is to study chemistry,biology nutrition etc. and conduct my own research. Some companies also put the mites in cheese on purpose,that link states they go to the cheese on their own.

The mites are long gone before anyone eats the cheese. Are you going to stop eating fruits and vegetables because bugs used to be on them?

I have no idea what that video is and I'm not going to waste time watching it, as I don't see any sources or clues whatsoever regarding where it came from or who is behind it. Like I said, don't believe everything you hear. Many doctors are idiots.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Cheese is made of Milk. Even Cows don't drink milk once they wean. Why do humans think drinking or eating it is healthy?
    Yes well I guess most people just want to put their blinders on. You don't get a heart attack from eating fruits, vegetables, nuts and beans. Only foods that have cholesterol can do that to you..

Really? So vegans don't get heart disease?
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cheese is made of Milk. Even Cows don't drink milk once they wean. Why do humans think drinking or eating it is healthy?
    Yes well I guess most people just want to put their blinders on. You don't get a heart attack from eating fruits, vegetables, nuts and beans. Only foods that have cholesterol can do that to you..

Are you aware that your body *produces* most of your cholesterol?

"...a review of dozens of articles published over the last 30 years that suggest a vegan diet supplies adequate protein but may be lacking in iron, zinc, vitamin B12, and omega-3 fatty acids that are important for vascular health.

Researchers say vegans tend to have lower levels of "good" HDL cholesterol and higher levels of homocysteine that put them at risk for heart disease.

Findings from the study, many of which were observational, led the researchers to conclude "vegetarians, especially vegans, could benefit from increased dietary intake of n-3 PUFA and vitamin B12 and thus improve the balance ratio of n-3 to n-6 PUFA and vitamin B12 status" that would in turn reduce the chances of developing blood clots and cardiovascular disease.

The study notes vegetarians generally have a lower risk of heart disease from lower body mass index, lower overall cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure. In the review, researchers found vegans especially have lower B12 levels and lower polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) levels that can lead to a tendency to develop arterial plaque known as atherosclerosis."
    - J. Agric. Food Chem., Article ASAP: DOI: 10.1021/jf103846u
    "Review: Chemistry behind Vegetarianism"
  • tyla57
    tyla57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cheers for cheese! i use it as an accent: extra-sharp or sharp cheddar, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, and Asiago. if i'm really on a low-fat period, i choose Cabot. there are plenty of ways to incorporate it into a healthy eating plan.
  • histora
    Options
    Cheese mites, also known as cheese flies, are put there on purpose for a very specific cheese type. They are also 99.9% gone before the cheese is ingested. If you don't like the idea of eating something that cheese mites were on, don't eat that specific type of cheese.

Did you know that blue cheeses are purposefully injected with a bacteria? And then people eat it? OMG.
  • Dayquasar
    Options

The mites are long gone before anyone eats the cheese. Are you going to stop eating fruits and vegetables because bugs used to be on them?

I have no idea what that video is and I'm not going to waste time watching it, as I don't see any sources or clues whatsoever regarding where it came from or who is behind it. Like I said, don't believe everything you hear. Many doctors are idiots.

lol I was just showing you why I don't eat cheese, you can eat it, I don't force anyone to DO anything I just like showing the scientific facts people may not be aware of when they ask for it. And I think cheese mites are gross, how do we know they are gone, maybe they are but I have my other reasons for not eating it and also the other post I agreed with has great reasons as well. And no I love fruits, I also eat figs that used to have wasps inside them but figs don't contain saturated fats either and are good for you. If your refusing to look at scientific proof that you keep asking for then I think I am done with this conversation and will not be replying further.I don't mean to upset you if you are upset, I do agree some doctors do not know much about nutrition however their are some that have studied it and do, those I will listen to.
  • Rilke
    Options
    lol I was just showing you why I don't eat cheese, you can eat it, I don't force anyone to DO anything I just like showing the scientific facts people may not be aware of when they ask for it. And I think cheese mites are gross, how do we know they are gone, maybe they are but I have my other reasons for not eating it and also the other post I agreed with has great reasons as well. And no I love fruits, I also eat figs that used to have wasps inside them but figs don't contain saturated fats either and are good for you. If your refusing to look at scientific proof that you keep asking for then I think I am done with this conversation and will not be replying further.I don't mean to upset you if you are upset, I do agree some doctors do not know much about nutrition however their are some that have studied it and do, those I will listen to.

The only reason I would be upset is if you had shown me anything that actually convinced me that cheese is bad for me or dangerous, because I would miss cheese. I looked at what you provided and saw no "scientific proof" -- only propaganda. I am more amused than anything.

Good luck.
  • histora
    Options
    If your youtube link is a scholastic document, I'll be bowled over.

Anecdotal accounts /=/ evidence.

Coming from a person who has eaten mealworms and grasshoppers, I don't really worry about essence d'fly in my cheese.

You can not eat cheese for your reasons, and that is cool with me. I'm just not sure what you have presented as evidence for your decision is actually evidence of anything but how easily anyone can start a webpage. Still doesn't change a thing for either of us though.

Have a great weekend. :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Cows don't eat fish either, yet we humans think fish is healthy.
    Adult fish still eat fish. Sadly blackening spices and tartar sauce are beyond their reach.
    Excellent point! :wink:
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    In my case it's because (combined with crackers) I find it nearly impossible to eat a moderate quantity of it.

On the flip side.... moderation...... some dairy in your diet is good..... just don't over do it.
  • SaraHaxton1
    Options
    Without cheese, I would not hit my calorie goals, my sodium goals, or my calcium goals. I need my salt or I have black out spells. My doctor told me to take in at least 2000mg a day or she would put me on a salt tablet. She loves this program because when I come in for my 4month rechecks she can go over my levels and make sure I have been a "good girl" with my salt.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Go cheese!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Shelgirl001 Has decided to try to cut out dairy for a couple weeks and see if it helps. I was reading an article in this last Woman's World Mag and it talks about a woman who lost 170 lbs and got to a plateau, so she tried cutting out dairy for a while. It kicked her weight loss into gear again. I am a major milk freak, so it may be hard. I plan to drink orange juice that has calcium and vitamin D in it to replace it. Hope this works out.

from what I read, they say sometimes it can cause tummy problems and it means you may be allergic to dairy. They also say that with the cows they breed lately the milk produces far more allergens than ever before because of hormones. They make us crave foods we are allergic to, as an immune system response. This can cause inflammation in our insides, which in turn can cause fluid retention, and increased belly fat storage. It also can cause a 300% increase in insulin, which is a fat storage hormone.
    Edited to add this is all dairy products, btw.

Shelgirl001 This is in the July 9, 2012 issue of Woman's World Magazine.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I love my dairy products. I don't think I could ever give it up. Especially while not living at home where we put cheese in pretty much everything. If I have to give up cheese to be skinny, I don't think I could do it. I'd probably just stay the way I am rather than be thin, miserable and cheeseless. :drinker:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    it is not natural for humans to consume dairy. Think about it, google it.
    i LOVE it though, but it does make us old and sick. and fat.

So if I don't eat dairy I won't get old, I'll become magically unsick and I will shed pounds like crazy?

Wow. Dairy is the anti-food.

The number on my ticker is still going up, even though I eat that evil yogurt, cheese, butter and cream. You keep your silly over-generalizations to yourself and stop presuming things about people's bodies and I'll keep my opinions about how silly it is to say what you say. Fair?

what are you talking about? i just said that i love cheese and that i am consuming dairy daily. dairy makes us older FASTER that's what i meant. i didn't even say it makes us FAT, but it does help make us fat. In fact i don't eat almost any kind of meat since i was a baby, cheese, yoghurt, milk are my main foods, and i am skinny.
    i will repeat once again.just think about it, oh sorry i see you are unable to do so, just google it for god's sake.