torturing your children...

Options

Replies

• amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My kids are canines. And yes, dogs can pout. I won't let my Bullmastiff get in my Dane's kennel (and vice versa). Same with food bowls. No getting on the bed unless the puppy blanket is on there (new comforter does NOT need puppy destruction). Hugs are requested, not given (my Dane likes to jump up and give hugs...this is now by invitation only)

And the one they hate the most? Being on a tie-out cable inside a fenced yard (it's not tall enough for me to trust letting them loose). My big boy will go all the way to the end, tug twice, look back to make sure I'm watching and then tug again. Then he whines and does a little yip, which makes him sound like a Pomeranian despite his Bullmastiff pedigree.

You shouldn't chain your dogs up outside. They can get hurt very easily. If you can't afford a higher fence, you probably should have considered getting a smaller dog that you were equipped to handle. He is probably yipping because it hurts when he tries to pull away.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The one thing I never understood with my dad was bedtimes. My parents were divorced so when I spent the weekend with him, I was always forced to go to bed at 9 with no TV, no computer, and even no reading. I was also expected to get up at 6 am, 5 am on Sundays for church. I also did most of the chores except cooking or cleaning because my dad didn't trust me.

When I was younger and faked being sick my mom would pull the cord that connected the computer to the dial-up (this was the days of AOL) and keep it in her purse so I couldn't spend all day online. I used to hate her for it, but I know why she did it. I didn't have a cell phone and I didn't watch much TV so she took away the one thing I did like.

Personally I wish I could do half of what my parents did to me, to my 8 year old cousin. She's never been spanked, swatted, grounded, or had things taken away that weren't given back five minutes later. When my mother threatened to spank her with a belt for not listening to her a couple days ago, she got mad and stormed out the room. She wasn't scared or intimidated, she was mad someone had actually said she was being bad.

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/hitting-slapping-tied-to-later-mental-disorders

If you want your kids to grow up to have depression, anxiety, drug, and/or alcohol problems, by all means, go ahead and hit them.

Seriously, no child should be hit. Ever. For any reason. If you use violence on them, you are teaching them that violence is ok. You are also ruining their self esteem and doing a ton of harm.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I may buy a dog just to have punishment-poop! :laugh:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My kids are canines. And yes, dogs can pout. I won't let my Bullmastiff get in my Dane's kennel (and vice versa). Same with food bowls. No getting on the bed unless the puppy blanket is on there (new comforter does NOT need puppy destruction). Hugs are requested, not given (my Dane likes to jump up and give hugs...this is now by invitation only)

And the one they hate the most? Being on a tie-out cable inside a fenced yard (it's not tall enough for me to trust letting them loose). My big boy will go all the way to the end, tug twice, look back to make sure I'm watching and then tug again. Then he whines and does a little yip, which makes him sound like a Pomeranian despite his Bullmastiff pedigree.

You shouldn't chain your dogs up outside. They can get hurt very easily. If you can't afford a higher fence, you probably should have considered getting a smaller dog that you were equipped to handle. He is probably yipping because it hurts when he tries to pull away.

Really? She TRAINS her dogs, so I am going to go out on a limb and say that she is being reasonably responsible and not putting her dogs in danger. There is no telling what her situation is!
    When I had a newborn I used to put my dog on a run to potty and then let her back in the house when she came back to the door, it was not dangerous and VERY necessary.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Haven't done this yet but a great idea from a FB post the other day :)
    uhoh.jpg

i LOVE this! But I would need to rent a storage locker. Might be worth it!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My 2.5 year old hates when i sing....so now I do it really loud! :)

Mine too! And so do I!
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    My son, 5, is the most stubborn kid I have ever seen. We have tried everything with him. First it was time-outs, then spankings. When those things didn't work we tried taking away his TV and video priviledges. When that stopped working we got the idea to take his toys away. Not just a few, but Every.Single.Toy. They got taking out to our storage building and stayed there until he earned them back, a few toys at a time. It took him about 2 - 2.5 months to get them all back. Now that it's summer time all we have to do is make him come inside.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    my parents and i have a really great relationship. they never once punished me. never grounded me or spanked me. and were always open to talking things out. if i wanted to stay up till 3am and text, that was my choice. if i went to a party, i would call my mom to come pick me up and give me a ride home. if i said i really didnt want to go to school that day, she would call me in 'sick'. they trusted me, and i never broke that trust because i respected them. i always got my crap together. when i slid off the rode last winter i cried because i thought they would be mad (wrecked the whole side of the car hitting a pole). they said "we can only be mad at you, because of the fact that you are okay." she let me drive her car for 5 months untill i could pay to fix mine. i got a job at 15 and helped them pay for bills and stuff and still managed to pass highschool with all a's. my oldest brother dropped out of highschool and recently moved back in with my parents. he has NEVER kept a job and is in his late 30's. my other brother had a baby, dropped out of college, and now works at walmart. they both had punishments growing up along with nagging to do homework and curfues etc. i on the other hand, am the first one in my family to go to college and kept a 4.0 my entire first year. my mom and dad are my best friends <3 im so happy i tured out to be the person i am. i hope when i have children i can be the same way. but on that note, i am in school studying child psychology and guiding behavior. there are ways to 'control' a child without being crule.

You sound like a great girl. I hope you continue to be successful in life.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but learning in school about kids is NOT the same as parenting.

I'm a teacher and all of my education classes were great in theory, but much of the information is just not feasible or relatable in a real classroom setting.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Haven't done this yet but a great idea from a FB post the other day :)
    uhoh.jpg

I've seen this and the "bored jar". It has chores but fun stuff in it too...so in the summer, if the kids complain of being bored they can take their chances with the drawing an activity from the jar :)
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Let's see...with my 7 year old.

Food. If I prepare something, he needs to try it. He doesn't have to like it, he doesn't have to eat it, but he doesn't get anything else either. I make one meal. Don't like, don't eat it, but you wait until the next meal. No snacking.

Chores. His daily chores are to make his bed, scoop the litter boxes and fill the water dishes in the morning and after noon. If he does it with out being told, he earns his allowance. If I have to remind him, no allowance. If I have to remind him after he has gone to bed, I wake him up to finish.

Discipline. Push ups/sits up. While he is doing his push ups/sit ups, he explains why he is doing them 'I was doing this, I should have/should not have done xxx'. Proper form is key. A bad push up doesn't count. If he really cheeses me off, I make him hold a wet dish towel.

Yard work. When his mother and I are outside, he is outside.

No television. Period. None.

I have him write book reports on books. These reports earn time on his computer/tablet. (Side note, he hates that daddy makes him change his password every 90 days. Daddy is an IT guy. Wife hates it too.)

He once told me he wasn't going to do these things any more. I simply turned to him and calmly mentioned that his grandpa thinks I am too easy, and that I should discipline him the way I was. Then I asked if he wanted to find out what Grandpa thought I should be doing. Problem solved.
  • Ydalgorf
    Ydalgorf Posts: 4
    Options
    This has been a fun one to read!

DS took DH's phone after we were asleep and watched movies in his bed until he feel back to sleep! So DH was almost late for work, he uses his phone for his alarm. DH didn't get a shower or breakfast! He was lucky I woke up early! He leaves for work at 5:15 and I woke up at 5:20... He has been told not to touch Dad's phone when he is sleeping, DH works a rotating shift so sleeps during the day sometimes...

So this morning I made DS write an apology letter to DH, and he is going to be writing sentences too... My Boy's 10 & 8 HATE writing sentences!

Our DS who is 10 had to write over 200 of them when he got a citation on the bus... Something along the lines of.... "I will sit quietly in my seat and be respectful of others around me." He HATED ME for a couple of day's! But he hasn't gotten in trouble on the bus since!

I'm off to torturer my children some more!
  • Ydalgorf
    Ydalgorf Posts: 4
    Options
    My mom used to say... "Dinners on the table! If you don't like it Dinners OVER!" :)
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My parents never had to get too creative with me; there was one incident that kept me from misbehaving from age 2 right on up through 18. As a tot, I was a runner - if I didn't ride in the cart, I was all over the store, and most of the time I didn't want to ride in the cart (because I wanted to run all over the store, natch). Also, it bears noting that my mom is one of those people who can't go anywhere without running into someone she knows. So, we were at the grocery once, and my mom happened to run into a friend of hers. The guy was a cop, 6' something, a big burly dude. As was my custom, I wandered off, and my mom asked her friend to do her a favor. He came up behind me and snatched me up, and while I was in hysterics about suddenly being hoisted into the air, my mom took the opportunity to inform me that "If that wasn't my friend, you'd be dead now!" I barely left my mother's side for the next 16 years while we were out and about. It's not a technique I necessarily recommend, or one that won't get you arrested these days probably, but it was certainly effective.

Also, this wasn't quite parenting, but it might be useful for any of you with mouthy kids or kids who like to complain a lot and don't seem to realize what all they have to be thankful for. In tenth grade, one of my teachers had a policy in his classroom that if anyone, including him, said something negative--insulted or complained about somebody or something--then they had to follow that up with two positive comments. These could be about anything, they didn't have to relate to whatever had been insulted or complained about. It's not a bad way to live, really; whenever you grumble or complain about someone or something, take a minute and find two things to be happy about. Something you're looking forward to, like a weekend trip; something you're thankful for, like your health or your job. It'll help pull you out of your grouchy mood and allow you to move on rather than fixating on whatever's got you down.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My teens keep their rooms clean. Why? Because when they were each at the 10-11 year-old stage when their rooms were a pit, I gave them a choice. Pick up your room, or I will do it for you. They, of course, didn't do it, so while they were in school, I went and put everything that was out into a trash bag. Trash, clothes (clean and dirty), homework, toys...you name it. If it wasn't put away, it went into the trash bag. They then had to "earn back" their stuff by having good days where they got all of their chores done and got along with their brothers and sister. They could choose two items out of the bag for every good day.
    It only took once, and now when I tell them to go check their rooms, they are immediately clean.

I do the same thing to my kids. Every Sunday when they leave for thier friends house, I clean out the rooms if it is not clean. Every Sunday you can bet the rooms are picked up before they leave.

Also since i'm a single mom, I cook one meal, you eat it or you make your own. I don't have time to make multiple meals for my kids. Its amazing how fast my kids will go from hating vegetables to liking them.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I used to have trouble waking up in the morning when I was a teenager. My mom tried a variety of different tactics to get me out of the bed. She turned on the light, I'd pull the covers over my head to block it out. She'd sprinkle cold water on my face, but it didn't phase me. She'd pull the covers off onto the floor, I'd just roll over and curl up into the fetal position. Finally, she discovered that I find early morning cheerfulness VERY annoying, so around 5:30am, she'd start singing at the top of her lungs, "YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE! YOU MAKE ME HAAAAPPPPYYYYY WHEN SKIES ARE GRAY....." or "RISE AND SHINE, LAZY SLEEPYHEAD! GET THOSE LAZY BONES OUT OF THE BED...". I'd holler, "PLEASE STOOOOOPPPPP!!!" She kept singing anyway because she knew that I'd get up just so she'd shut up.

hmmmm thanx for the idea....may have to try this one
  • beeker75
    beeker75 Posts: 109
    Options
    *rubs hands together* so many great ideas, not enough children....

Bwhahhaah!! Right???? :)
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I took my son's computer out of his room for a week because I asked him to clean his room 3 times....it's been clean ever since.
  • beeker75
    beeker75 Posts: 109
    Options
    I used to have trouble waking up in the morning when I was a teenager. My mom tried a variety of different tactics to get me out of the bed. She turned on the light, I'd pull the covers over my head to block it out. She'd sprinkle cold water on my face, but it didn't phase me. She'd pull the covers off onto the floor, I'd just roll over and curl up into the fetal position. Finally, she discovered that I find early morning cheerfulness VERY annoying, so around 5:30am, she'd start singing at the top of her lungs, "YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE! YOU MAKE ME HAAAAPPPPYYYYY WHEN SKIES ARE GRAY....." or "RISE AND SHINE, LAZY SLEEPYHEAD! GET THOSE LAZY BONES OUT OF THE BED...". I'd holler, "PLEASE STOOOOOPPPPP!!!" She kept singing anyway because she knew that I'd get up just so she'd shut up.

I never had trouble getting outta bed, but my Mother still enjoyed torturing me this way. My song was "Bend & Stretch! Reach for the sky! Stand on tippy toe, oh so high...." (top of her lungs as well *sigh)
  • rockermom5
    rockermom5 Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm loving some of these! My kids have chores, but don't earn any allowance unless I don't have to remind them. Hasn't happened yet. There's always something that doesn't get done. There are 5 kids...dad and I both work, so the eldest ends up with sitter duty for a few hours a day. His allowance is basically us taking him places or spending money to go on a date with his girlfriend. It's worked for us so far. My youngest is also one of those little boys who doesn't always watch what he's doing in the bathroom...so he gets to clean it up. He's gotten a lot better about aiming. I have had to put a bunch of random stuff in boxes and bags and tell them "oops...you didn't clean when I asked. Now..it's for charity". I have given a lot of things away. I've thrown out pokemon and digimon cards after telling them to pick them up repeatedly. I have been limiting electronics and on days when it's not sweltering outside, they are outside - they've actually requested "wii free" days this week, now that our temps are out of the 100s.

As far as out and out torture...my husband had our eldest son convinced that he was born with a tail for about a year. My ex husband went along with it. I finally felt sorry for him and told him the truth, to their dismay for ruining their fun. I told my ex he gets to help with therapy bills when the eldest is grown (he's 17 now, and has learned to fight back with sarcasm). ;-P
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    When my 13 year old lied to me i made her stand outside on a busy road with a sign that said "I LIE AND THIS IS MY PUNISHMENT" to my knowledge.. she hasnt lied again.. or shes better at hiding it. lol