Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of women posting here, when they should be making sammiches

i hate the word ´hubby´ as much as i hate the word ´sammich´ .. ITS SANDWICH, and no i wont make you one.. you are welcome :smile:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    On here I call him "the Mr."
  • finskihillfarm
    Options
    My husband is my hubby, my best friend, my soul mate and the only person in the whole wide world I want to spend time with and be around 24/7. That being said we have really good screaming matches and drive each other crazy. I wouldn't want anything else.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    When I was in a college fraternity, the old joke was it was a "fraternity" not a "frat" because you would never shorten the word "country." (Maybe I have the joke wrong...that's what college partying will do!)

Anyway, as a man, I do not like it when women refer to their spouse as their "hubby." I'm sure in most cases it's meant well, but in many it's not. I'm talking about the women who don't particular like their husbands (and I've talked to some of you so I know you're out there!)

But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I realize most of you mean it as a term of endearment and it's shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be nails on a chalkboard to me. Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

(Let the flaming begin.....)

I totally agree. Especially about the condescending part. Ha.

WTF is a "hubby" anyway.
  • gogojodee
    Options
    Hubby also to me "sounds" fat. Haha. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because of the "bby" hahaha. It sounds so foreign sounding without the foreign-ness.
  • tdavies1980
    tdavies1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My Husband is my Husband, Hubby is Childish and Silly. I would not like to be Wifey
  • Neurokitti
    Neurokitti Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not married (yet - we're working on a date) but my OH will always be "Ben". Hah.

Another nitpick brought to the forefront by one of my patients: she hates it when people call her children her "kids". She's not a nanny goat. She doesn't have kids.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I talk about my husband I refer to him as my 'partner', because that's what we are - equal partners.
  • gogojodee
    Options
    I'm not married (yet - we're working on a date) but my OH will always be "Ben". Hah.

Another nitpick brought to the forefront by one of my patients: she hates it when people call her children her "kids". She's not a nanny goat. She doesn't have kids.

:laugh: love that, "kids" *snickers*
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    After 11 years of amazing marriage, I still introduce my wife as my bride. "This my bride, Karen". She respectfully refers to me as her "honey-bear".....lol. Let the flames......flame....away, whatever..........
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Weird. I'll call my husband whatever I want. Mostly it's just Matt. I'm not going to talk about my damn husband to random strangers who don't know who I'm married to.

Anyways, people who don't like their spouses can make the word husband sound pretty foolish, too. Huzzzzzbind.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    After 11 years of amazing marriage, I still introduce my wife as my bride. "This my bride, Karen". She respectfully refers to me as her "honey-bear".....lol. Let the flames......flame....away, whatever..........

:( That's so nice. I love being, "The Bun", but being introduced as a bride would be lovely.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Now if you are older and NOT married then what do you call your significant other? Boyfriend sounds like we are both 12, partner sounds like we have a same sex union and anything else (lover, manfriend whatever) sounds sleazy. I get annoyed when my boyfriend calls me his wife, as I'm not. At least hubby is straightforward ;)

I'm with whoever posted on the babe thing ...
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't like "hubby" but I do like "wifey"!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    While I personally find the term hubby to sound a little silly, most of the ladies I know who use it have genuinely good relationships. If you don't want to be called hubby, fine, but it's not like it's advertely derogatory or offensive term. I mean, I don't like being called baby because it makes me feel like I'm in a bad rap video, but I don't really care if other men called their partners that. I don't really understand why it makes a difference to you.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I never referred to my husband as "hubby". it sounded too dumpy and stupid. and I never called him 'honey" either because one of my friends did and she sounded like she was whining. :P I called him by his full name. Mathias, because no one else did. :)

he's now in Heaven. :) I am waiting for my new husband to step up to the plate and be loved and adored. :)
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I call my husband "hubby", he calls me his "bride", it makes us both smile. It works for us, and shouldn't offend anyone else, after all, its sort of none of anyone's business what I call him.. except maybe our children and his mom..
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Personal pref i suppose I refer to my bf as my hubby or hubs and he's introduced me as the wifey, babe and so forth. I see no harm in it. It's all love. Im sure you could call him something much worse w/o even trying. :-)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not a male but it has always bothered me when women talk about their husbands as if their husband is another child or directly even call him one and think its all cute. That's just out right degrading a person.

Edit: changed word from downground to degrading. Its to late at night for me.
  • Xefyria
    Xefyria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Aw, I always found the word 'hubby' endearing...