900 calories and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes drink more water! You could be gaining muscle though. I went from 107.2 to 110 over the last couple of days. Man does it suck looking at the number go up! YES! However I also went from 18.9% body fat down to 17.7% over the last week and lost an inch. So what does that mean??? Muscle!!! I have been eating around 900-1100 calories too... minus yesterday so eating more might not be the answer. Drink plenty of water, it actually helps you loose water weight! You are taking in ALOT of protein, you might have gained some major muscle with that. Throw the scale out.... easier said then done I know I have the same issues, and go to how you look in the mirror, inches loss or body fat %. Its more accurate. I bought a body fat tester on e-bay 6 years ago for like 25.00 with shipping the electronic kind.... SOOO worth it. Every time the scale goes up my body fat goes down so I don’t feel so bad! :) Hang in their too and power through it.... Whenever I go up eventually I go down if I don't get too depressed because of a stupid scale and remember to look in the mirror!! Remember girls cycles…. We go up and down throughout the month too depending about where we are at. :) You are doing AMAZING! Keep it up girl!

Sorry but you don't gain muscle on such a large calorie deficit. Muscle needs protein and calories to grow neither of which are enough when one is only eating 900 cals a day.

To the original poster, eat more. 900 cals a day isn't enough.

I love how they say it isn't possible however I am cut! HAH! Its like the whole thing that science says bee's can't fly but they can! HAH!

I don't think anyone here cares about your 6 pack or how cut you are. So please stop going on about it.

To the OP, please eat more. Ignore people talking about it is OK to eat as little as 900 calories. In the long run, it isn't. You are risking your long term health. There is no reason to eat so little. You can lose weighjt slowly and succesfully eating more calories.

This. All of it. A million times.
  • mamabrox
    mamabrox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My doctor says eat less calories than you burn loose weight he said just eat less calories and less fat . I have 90 pounds to loose i hate this body.
  • bjredo
    bjredo Posts: 5
    Options
    I want to be sure I'm clear on how many calories I should be eating as well when using this site. If my calorie goal is 1250 and I burn 300 calories exercising then I should be eating 1550 in calories for a net of 1250? Please advise because I want to be sure I'm eating right to earn the optimum from my efforts. I'm eating the required 1250 with out taking into consideration of the calories burned from exercise. Also, I'm drinking approximately 8 - 10 cups of water daily. I am pretty toned already but want to lose some of the weight. I think my question might be of help clarify this for a lot of people on this site. Your feedback is appreciated!
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    yes less than u burn that is the key so put your details into mfp put to lose a steady 1lb per week and eat the cals it says and exercise so you can eat more
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree - I actually eat protein bars just to boost my cal input. I eat a lot of good foods, but just stay careful not to over do the carbs, fat and sugar. I keep my numbers consistent with the MFP recommendations - I have lost 31 so far.

You are going to fail with this approach.

Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I want to be sure I'm clear on how many calories I should be eating as well when using this site. If my calorie goal is 1250 and I burn 300 calories exercising then I should be eating 1550 in calories for a net of 1250? Please advise because I want to be sure I'm eating right to earn the optimum from my efforts. I'm eating the required 1250 with out taking into consideration of the calories burned from exercise. Also, I'm drinking approximately 8 - 10 cups of water daily. I am pretty toned already but want to lose some of the weight. I think my question might be of help clarify this for a lot of people on this site. Your feedback is appreciated!

yes
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    this is the where the phrase, "eat more, weigh less" comes from. Your body needs more nutrients and cals. bump it up to at least 1200, and see how that goes.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.

This is the basics!!! aka.. do it!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.

Please stop making things up, you're not helping anyone

^^This

HAH! What they said! If I was in starvation mode I wouldn't have my abs! HAH!
    Everyone has abs sweetheart, and they start to show when you have low bodyfat regardless of how you got there.

Yes they do... However their are alot of "skinny" people who are skinny with no abs because they have no muscle. Low body fat helps you get their and it is critical and the number one thing to start showing your abs however, you also have to have the muscle their too. You need both. Well you need actually 3 things a balanced diet, good cardio and weights, and core exercises, abs included 3 times or more a week.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

No disrespect to them....But have you ever seen a picture of people in concertration camps. Tell them "starvation mode" will make you fat.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My doctor says eat less calories than you burn loose weight he said just eat less calories and less fat . I have 90 pounds to loose i hate this body.

Someone said it.. Your need to get moving and workout.. it takes time.. you need to fuel your body though... more water and at least 1200 cals.. or more!! Of good quwality foods.. veggies chicken ect.. Body cant do much moving when not eating... if your eating 900cals and you workoff about 300 or so.. your body only got (net) 600.. Im learnign about this stuff too.. its all new.. but you need to eat
  • steplaj
    Options

Yes - but keep in mind the foods you are eating as well. Eat good meals - not just cal bars. I like to eat a good lunch and go easy at night. I am not much of a breakfast person so I do a protein shake in the morning for breakfast. I snack at 10 - 1030 and again about 230.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options

Yes they do... However their are alot of "skinny" people who are skinny with no abs because they have no muscle. Low body fat helps you get their and it is critical and the number one thing to start showing your abs however, you also have to have the muscle their too. You need both. Well you need actually 3 things a balanced diet, good cardio and weights, and core exercises, abs included 3 times or more a week.

I have had abs for years. I just have something covering mine. It does not mean that the diet your on helped you gain those muscles. I could do 900 and my abs would eventually show, but not from the diet. I think its great you lost so much weight and did it your own way, you look great. The thing is maintaining it later can be quite hard, any change in eating habit could cause you to gain the weight back quicker than you lost it.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    ^^This
    [/quote]

HAH! What they said! If I was in starvation mode I wouldn't have my abs! HAH!
    [/quote]
    Everyone has abs sweetheart, and they start to show when you have low bodyfat regardless of how you got there.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

and enough food to fuel all this 900 cals is not enough when the body doesn,t get enough it starts on the muscle to give it fuel go away with your stupid advise
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes drink more water! You could be gaining muscle though. I went from 107.2 to 110 over the last couple of days. Man does it suck looking at the number go up! YES! However I also went from 18.9% body fat down to 17.7% over the last week and lost an inch. So what does that mean??? Muscle!!! I have been eating around 900-1100 calories too... minus yesterday so eating more might not be the answer. Drink plenty of water, it actually helps you loose water weight! You are taking in ALOT of protein, you might have gained some major muscle with that. Throw the scale out.... easier said then done I know I have the same issues, and go to how you look in the mirror, inches loss or body fat %. Its more accurate. I bought a body fat tester on e-bay 6 years ago for like 25.00 with shipping the electronic kind.... SOOO worth it. Every time the scale goes up my body fat goes down so I don’t feel so bad! :) Hang in their too and power through it.... Whenever I go up eventually I go down if I don't get too depressed because of a stupid scale and remember to look in the mirror!! Remember girls cycles…. We go up and down throughout the month too depending about where we are at. :) You are doing AMAZING! Keep it up girl!

SORRY TO TELL YOU.. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GAIN 2 POUNDS OF MUSCLE EATING 900 CALORIES A DAY... JUST NOT GONNA HAPPEN..
  • ahs4u2
    ahs4u2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I first joined, I made it a point to eat less than my suggested number of cals... AND I didn't loose weight! I WAS exercising at the time as well. When I did a little research and figured that I had probably only succeeded in putting my body in survival or starvation mode then I saw the light. I increased my intake to the reccommended amount and sometimes go over as much as 300 cals a day BUT I'm steadily loosing the weight now.
  • steplaj
    Options

What???? she gained muscle by eating 900 calories a day????She gained muscle by just eating protein? What????? SMH

I know. Such BS!!!

Uh no its not and don't call me a liar either.

Bad advice - this may have worked for you, but its not correct. Your body needs calories to burn calories. The more excercise you do, the more calories your body burns. Ask any nutritionist or personal trainer, they will tell you this.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Most of the people posting on this thread are stuck-up jerks that need to realize not EVERYONE can lose weight the SAME WAY.

No one has the perfect recipe; it's what works for you, your belief system and your lifestyle so drop the attitudes! :explode: :mad:

With that said, starvation mode or no starvation mode, the general consensus is that you need to consume 1,200 calories a day at least to give your body what it needs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/492846-is-eating-1-200-calories-a-day-unhealthy/

BOOM, headshot.

Very few of you on here are doctors; she needs to do her research and you need to stop shoving your badly researched opinions down other people's throats. :huh:

Another key is WHAT YOU ARE EATING. What does your diet look like? What do those 900 calories consist of? "Cardboard", as you call it, is meant to assist with meal replacements but should not (IMHO) consist of your entire diet.
  • mamabrox
    mamabrox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support it means the world to me . I will go have a green smoothie
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the picture, your basic metabolic rate (BMR) calories needs are probably around 1400. If you are nursing that baby, even higher!

Why is this important?

If you were in a coma, your BMR requires a certain amount of calories to keep you alive. Right now, at 900 calories, you are way below that. There is no way that you are getting proper nutrition let alone enough calories to keep your body going.

Since you are not meeting your BMR calorie needs, your body is essentially saying to itself, "Holy cow, I'm starving. I have to shut something down. What should I shut down first? Oh, yeah, just slow down. Shut down the metabolism. Hey, boiler room, slow down the metabolism!"

So now your metabolism is slowed down.

The next thing that happens is based upon the following background information:

At rest, a pound of fat burns about 5 calories in an hour, whereas a pound of muscle burns 25-35 calories in an hour. When you are up moving around, that same pound of fat is burning that same 5 calories an hour, but that pound of muscle is burning anywhere from 125 to 200 calories an hour.

Now, since your body feels you are starving it will want to get rid of the one thing that is using the most calories, which is muscle. So your body will start eating the muscle and store anything that you eat as fat.

This takes on new meaning when you realize that when the body eats up the muscle, your muscle mass decreases. Thus, when/if you ever lose the weight you want, it will be very hard to stay at that weight because you don't have the muscle to burn the calories that you eat. This means that you will not be able to eat much over your BMR.

Now, would you not like to be able to eat more once you lose the weight? Would you not like to maintain the muscle so that you will be toned?

Most people would like both of these things.

The fact of the matter is that if you starve yourself by eating less than your BMR needs, you will not lose weight because your body will slow down and eat muscle. The solution is to figure out your BMR needs, your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), and then subtract your deficit.

You can do this by going to fat2fitradio.com You will need to figure out the percent body fat that you have in order to determine your BMR. Once you determine your BMR, then you figure out how many calories you burn with your extra activities, such as house cleaning, exercise, etc.

For me, this looks like this:

BMR Needs - 1352 (This is the minimum amount of calories I need to eat to stay alive.)
    TDEE - 900 (This is the calories I burn in exercise. If I clean, I may have more.)
    Total Needs - 2252 (This is how many calories I need to maintain my weight.)

Subtract 500 from that number, since a pound of fat takes 3600 calories and I want to lose a pound a week. (3600/7 = 500 plus change) That means that I get to eat 1752 calories daily. If I eat less, I will lose more than a pound a week. Never do I go less than 1352, because my body needs that amount of calories to survive.

If you want help with this, just drop me a line. I will get back to you and help you out.