Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm getting to where I dread squats. It's partly because I do them every freakin time and partly because I'm also running three times a week so my legs aren't getting much recovery time. I'm still upping them five pounds each workout so I'm not going to change anything yet.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I am in love with deadlifts!!! But for some reason I cant keep my right leg from wanting to shake out from underneath me when I am fully extended.
    Deadlifts, squats, and lunges....recipe for total badassery!
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Love them! I have back problems too, but so far, so good.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Agree with the calm after the lift comment. Just finished my workout which included DL. Set a new PR which always feels nice.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Agree with the calm after the lift comment. Just finished my workout which included DL. Set a new PR which always feels nice.
    Maybe I'll get there with a little more time.
  • DisputedEnds
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I also love deadlifts!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nothing like them to leave you dizy and the gym spinning! I am working my way back up since surgery, hit 3 sets of 12 @ 185 2 hours ago, long way from the 305 I used to DL! Through patience and consistency we will both get there :)
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

Squats focus on your quads, while deadlifts focus on the hamstrings. Squats works a lot on your core stability and balance where deadlifts work on low back strength as well as explosiveness. They combined are a fantastic leg/core workout! Don't neglect either!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! just got to 215# with strong lifts, can't wait to see where Ill go before I have to deload
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts are my favorite exercise, squats is a close second. But dead lifts take the crown because I feel like a primal beast during, and afterwards my whole body has this amazing calmness to it. My PR is 350lbs(160Kg)

350lbs is awesome!! I'm at a grip limited 275lbs right now. Picking up some chalk before deadlift day (Mondays!) and going to try it that way.

Awesome stuff man, seriously.
  • DisputedEnds
    Options

Squats focus on your quads, while deadlifts focus on the hamstrings. Squats works a lot on your core stability and balance where deadlifts work on low back strength as well as explosiveness. They combined are a fantastic leg/core workout! Don't neglect either!
    Deadlifts can badly injure you and squats can injure you not as badly
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Deadlifts can badly injure you and squats can injure you not as badly

Seriously lol? Is this line of posts you're making supposed to be funny?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    350lbs is awesome!! I'm at a grip limited 275lbs right now. Picking up some chalk before deadlift day (Mondays!) and going to try it that way.

What about mixed grip mate? I bet you can pick up 300+ with mixed grip no problem....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If people actually did always lift with their legs, why are we always having to be reminded to 'lift with your legs'? Strengthening your lower back is beneficial for a variety of reasons.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

lol why squat when you can just tense up your legs and shake the shake weight
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My favorite 5x5 day is dead day, I get to squat like a beast and deadlift like an animal, makes me feel very grrr-ific.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could do deadlifts :(

I have scoliosis and I just can't, the pain gets too much. Plus I legit can't make my back straight because of it.
    I also can't do normal barbell squats but now do them with the barbell over my chest
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<LOVE me some deadlifts!!! I lifted my personal best today, a little over my own body weight.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

What about mixed grip mate? I bet you can pick up 300+ with mixed grip no problem....

I've been a little nervous about the mixed grip lol, only because I just had my right lower biceps tendon repaired in February (I deadlifted a motorcycle with one arm...long story). I've been considering keeping my right hand in a normal grip, and switching my left hand though.

Actually...I'll give it a go Monday :).