"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

^^^^^ what this person said
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

thing is, I don't much care about HFCS. it is sugar. I think my body knows what to do with it.

Well HFCS is genetically modified. Are you sure your body knows what to do with it?

yup.

(ultimately, it comes from corn. same calories as table sugar -- made up of fructose and glucose -- in the same proportions. when it gets into your body, know what happens? same thing as with table sugar.)

I think the jury's still out on that one:

htttp://grist.org/article/researchers-yes-hfcs-is-much-worse-than-table-sugar/

I'll trust the American Medical Association when it says that I'm good with ingesting the stuff. especially when you link to musings on a blog that seems to have lots of axes to grind.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says no scientific support that HFCS leads to obesity any more than any other sugar. FDA says I'm good to go, too. so there's that.

more? ok.

and the link says it was brought in during the 80s. well, it was invented in japan in the 60s and brought into mainstream U.S. in the 70s. if it can't even get that right, why would I trust anything else?

what else does it skip over ... oh, yeah, it says that HFCS is 55 percent fructose -- the part of the equation HFCS-is-evil folks seem to be afraid of. (fructose? in fruit, by the way. aaaahhhh!) that's true for the HFCS in soda. in most everything else, it's HFCS 42. which means? yup. only 42 percent fructose.

that takes care of the first two paragraphs ...
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

*facepalm*

So if my maintenance is at 3000 and I eat 6000 in mayo then, by your reasoning, I won't gain weight? Other than the fact 6000 calories of mayo would make me puke.

lol.. that's what I thought.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    Whenever I order a sandwich at a deli, I give the precise description of what I want: whole-wheat bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Nine times of 10, the counter person replies: "No Mayo?"

Nope, don't want the empty calories and fat that come with Mayo or white bread.
    Mayo is not very flavorful in any case and white bread tastes no better than wheat.

Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky. I recall several "aha" moments even in Italy where I saw thin people drinking wine, eating pasta. They tend to walk a lot more, eat fresher food, their pizzas are ultra-thin crust, and it's nearly impossible to find mayo, Cokes and fries. Dessert and snacks there are usually fruit, sometimes a small scoop of gelat, unless it's a special occassion.

I recall at my heaviest my meals consisted of McMuffins, burritos and chips, Domino's pizza. For what it's worth. One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

So, it's Mayo... just mayo. The Italians don't have mayo and they are thin so clearly mayo is the problem.

Americans eat too much and move too little. How is that a difficult concept to grasp?

Don't be so proud of yourself because you skip out on mayo. News flash, lots of people don't like mayo.

The only point you make that is valid is that sometimes cutting out the extra fluffs is a step in the right direction.

People don't really believe this BS do they? This HAS to be a troll. If you ate 6000 calories a day you'd get fat. Even if all you were eating were tomatoes. 4000-4500 OVER your calorie limit and you think you won't gain fat? How is your body going to burn all those extra calories?The lack of commas in your post makes things a little hard to read. But there's no way carbs make you fat and mayo doesn't. That's insane. Anyone who agrees with this person has lost their mind.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

thing is, I don't much care about HFCS. it is sugar. I think my body knows what to do with it.

Well HFCS is genetically modified. Are you sure your body knows what to do with it?

yup.

(ultimately, it comes from corn. same calories as table sugar -- made up of fructose and glucose -- in the same proportions. when it gets into your body, know what happens? same thing as with table sugar.)

I'll trust the American Medical Association when it says that I'm good with ingesting the stuff. especially when you link to musings on a blog that seems to have lots of axes to grind.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says no scientific support that HFCS leads to obesity any more than any other sugar. FDA says I'm good to go, too. so there's that.

more? ok.

and the link says it was brought in during the 80s. well, it was invented in japan in the 60s and brought into mainstream U.S. in the 70s. if it can't even get that right, why would I trust anything else?

what else does it skip over ... oh, yeah, it says that HFCS is 55 percent fructose -- the part of the equation HFCS-is-evil folks seem to be afraid of. (fructose? in fruit, by the way. aaaahhhh!) that's true for the HFCS in soda. in most everything else, it's HFCS 42. which means? yup. only 42 percent fructose.

Go to Princeton's site then. Surely an academic institution publishing a peer-reviewed study has an axe to grind:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

2010 study and AMA, when it made it's finding in 2008, called for more study. Like I said--jury's still out.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options

^^^^^ what this person said

Carbs don't specifically make you fat, but restricting them may force your body to find other sources of energy (such as fat). If you're building up a ton of fat stores by eating all this mayo, what does it matter if your body is using some of it for energy? Just an aside, your body is actually capable of creating glucose from non carbohydrate sources, such as fat.

As for the OP, I guess you're right more or less. Although I'm pretty sure mayo is way down there on the list of things contributing to obesity in America. And there's really nothing wrong with fats as long as you manage them into your macros. But, like you've sort of mentioned, the problem is a cultural one and not so much an issue with any specific food item or group of foods. I will say though, sandwiches (especially subs and wraps) tend to be really calorie dense foods.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think there are two dieting myths out there:

(1) All calories are created equal, so it doesn't matter if it's white bread or wheat, or a piece of fish vs. a Big Mac, or a banana vs. a piece of chocolate cake, so long as you consume under your BMR...

(2) It's not the calories but the carbs that are evil

For (1), research has proven that low-glycemic calories--such as available in lean meats, fish, veggies, whole grains, certain fruits--are better for weight loss than getting high-glycemic calories, such as through sugars (fries, candies, sugars, certain breads, etc.). People who eat low-glycemic foods tend to lose more weight than high-gylcemic diets *even though the calorie count is the same*.

Here's a recent study: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:

http://www.drkessinger.com/images/glycemicindex.pdf

You will notice that the GI of whole grain bread and some kinds of pasta is below that of white bread/baguettes and even certain types of beans. So in addition to not all calories being equal, not all carbs are created equal.

Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.

Thanks for the links. I couldn't agree with you more. The older I get, the more I think about things from a spiritual perspective. If I can imagine something growing in the Garden of Eden, it's OK for me to eat. I believe we're designed to eat things that grow, before they are chemically altered, or their molecules are blasted apart or radiated. There is sooo much science doesn't know about food, and one day in the future people will look back on today's nutritional advice like we look back on the medical practices 200 years ago.

We don't have to conform to our society's eating habits, but instead, we can begin better ones and pray others will do the same.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

lol que? try again

Do you also avoid protein cause of evil insulin spikes?

*Sigh* No, I don't avoid protein. Protein is essential for nutrition and muscle.
    But carbs are evil because they spike insulin?
    Right.. carbs are evil because they spike insulin, but protein doesn't spike insulin as much, so its insulin spikes are ok! Also, ASP is a myth created by the scientific community to discourage people from the 'all mayo diet' wherein you eat 6000 calories of mayo per day and get RIPPED!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

The list just goes on.

yup.

more? ok.

Go to Princeton's site then. Surely an academic institution publishing a peer-reviewed study has an axe to grind:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

2010 study and AMA, when it made it's finding in 2008, called for more study. Like I said--jury's still out.

the princeton study, when you get into it, seems like it may be weird coincidences and flukes.

for some reason, this only happened with boy rats, and only in the group that had access to the HFCS for 12 hours a day. the group with access to HFCS for 24 hours a day? nothing statistically different. and in a joint study, girl rats? nada. eight weeks later, no difference in them.

so then they take girl rats again and test them over seven months. sugar water and HFCS to two different groups, 12 hours a day. they gained the exact same amount of weight.

and UC-Davis did a study on people after that study, and came away saying there's no reason to think that HFCS is any more of a problem than sucrose.

so I'll go with the studies on real human people vs. studies on lab rats that didn't seem to provide consistent results anyway.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

lol que? try again

Do you also avoid protein cause of evil insulin spikes?

*Sigh* No, I don't avoid protein. Protein is essential for nutrition and muscle.
    But carbs are evil because they spike insulin?
    Right.. carbs are evil because they spike insulin, but protein doesn't spike insulin as much, so its insulin spikes are ok! Also, ASP is a myth created by the scientific community to discourage people from the 'all mayo diet' wherein you eat 6000 calories of mayo per day and get RIPPED!

I want to get ripped so sign me up for the 6000 calorie a day Mayo diet! Where should I send my payment and shall I post the before and after pics on here?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Read the above post, yes there are other factors. The "No Mayo!" story was intended as a story to illustrate a larger problem--poor food choices of Americans when eating out, which also includes fast-food, larger portions than what's available in other countries etc., and all the sedentary factors you mentioned.

Yes, you can eat mayo with lunch every day, and still lose weight, but if you follow an American pattern of eating highly-processed, nutrient-shallow foods and having a sedentary lifestyle, chances are you will gain weight.

The story was intended to illustrate a problem: Why are sometimes people so surprised in America when you ask for a more nutritious choice?
    Why are restaurants surprised when you ask for a more nutritious choice? Good question. I can't understand why I can't find whole grain bread at any eating establishment. Am I really the only one asking for this? Many places offer what they call "wheat bread" but it's just like white bread with a little color. I know whole grain, healthy breads spoil faster, but they keep for a while in the fridge. Really, can't one restaurant keep one loaf of whole grain bread in the fridge for me? This is my #1 complaint, but I have many more.

Why is fruit salad limited to melon and a few old grapes? Why are grilled veggie sandwiches always drenched in olive oil? Why are so few establishments serving pasture raised meats and organic produce? The restaurant industry's menus have an enormous impact on how Americans think they should eat. A lot of good could be done if restaurants got the message from us that we want better choices.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all.

Mmmmm, 367 teaspoons of mayo a day. Where is my spoon and jar of mayo, I need to get started.

Weight is a result of calories and math. Check out a weight maintenance chart. 6,000 calories is the daily maintenance calorie allowance for a moderately active 5 ft 6 inch, 35 year old woman, who weighs 739 pounds!!! THAT 739 POUND PERSON could eat 6,000 calories a day of mayo and not "gain any fat at all".

That same woman, if she weighted 800 pounds, could actually lose weight on 6000 calories a day.

Math my friends, one key to dieting.

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.

stress itself can cause weight gain. Too much stress can increase cortisol which makes you gain weight. It messes with your metabolism. Good try :)

Funny because some people eat less and lose weight when stressed. Either way, you still have to eat too much to put on weight and that's a fact. I also am not sure you understand the function of cortisol. It doesn't make you fat, its function is to break down your stored fat and increase your blood sugar when you're stressed. You're possibly an emotional eater and you ate more when you were stressed, which caused weight gain.

That is what cortisol does in the case of acute (short-term) stress. Under chronic (long-term) conditions you're body actually starts to deposit fat (especially in the abdominal area).

Of course because as you sit sedentary on your butt all day the easiest way to gain the weight back that you lost is through fat. An active person wouldn't have this problem. The same happens when you "diet" then go back to eating too many calories.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My story on Mayo was not intended to be singling out Mayo as the singular culprit in American obesity, but rather to illustrate the poor food choices available to Americans when eating out. Like I said, it's hard to find Mayo and french fries and corn-syrup based sodas in countries that are statistically healthier.

You go out to eat here in the USA: The portions are larger than in most countries, they are generally made with ingredients that are less healthy than elsewhere (food is more processed in the USA), and then: When you ask for them to make something in a way that is more nutritious or lower in calories, it's a big surprise. So that's what the "No Mayo?" story was supposed to illustrate. The system here--poor nutritional choices, sedentary lifestyles--influences obesity.

But you are aware that most store bought Mayo in America has HFCS added to it also.

I make my own. Flavorful, fresh, creamy and good. Mustard is about the only condiment that I purchase from the store anymore.

BBQ sauces, marinades, salad dressings, mayonnaise - all home made.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    What if whole wheat bread was no better and possibly worse then white bread?

This is true.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

that is true, about the gi with white vs wheat. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, they advised her to cut down on carbs, and count the carbs she does have, and when she has bread or pasta, go for wheat and not white, same with rice. Why wouldn't wheat be healthier anyway, white is processed.

uhh ... wheat is processed, too.

Wheat is processed, but only so much. Wheat and whole grain products have more nutritional value than white products.

Wheat is the most highly processed of all the grains. And no one is eating whole grain products. And there are components in the "whole wheat" that are keeping you from absorbing other nutrients you are consuming with said wheat product, so there is no more nutritional value.

There are a lot of studies about this.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    OP Said:
    My point was not specific to Mayo but the eating regimen followed by most Americans., which is heavy on starches and fats and does not emphasize enough vegetables, fish, lean meats and fruit. Portions are also larger in this country then elsewhere. When you overconsume crap, it's a vicious cycle.

When you go to a diet that emphasizes veggies, lean meats, whole grains--you end up getting filled faster. Secondly, your body has the proper nutrients it needs to do its work. One thing I like about this app is that it gives you nutrition info, so people won't be tempted to just fill up on junk.
    I understand you were not attacking mayo by itself, but more as an example of the bad food choices folks make. Not that mayo is a bad choice in and of itself; however, I have to wonder if you are that conscientious, why are you eating at delis? Why do you order cheese at a deli when you know its not going to be cheese but rather flavored processed vegetable oil? Wheat bread ordered at a restaurant or deli is not going to be the wheat bread that you have spent time comparing nutrition labels in the bread aisle at the market, it is going to be the least expensive they can buy in bulk (interpret that to mean poor choice nutrition wise).

Yes, americans as a nation are overweight, I am one of them and that is why I am here. Probably every person registered on this site came here initially for the same reason, help in getting more fit; hence the name of the site. Understand, I am not attacking your choice to eat poorly by going to a deli, I am just saying that before you choose to make general statements about the reasons "Americans Are Fat", you should be looking carefully at your own actions.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

The list just goes on.

yup.

more? ok.

You better check to see what Corporate sponsors are funding the AMA. I do not trust any of these organizations that say American ________________ anything.

They don't have your best interest at heart and you best believe the corn growers association is funding the AMA to get them to say that it is no different.

HFCS is not natural occurring. Fructoce and sucrose is. There is a huge difference.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Obviously you have no idea how much fun mayo can be in the bedroom...
    i think i just threw up in my mouth a little bit
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    *yawns and washes down a handful of Reese's Pieces with a can of pepsi*