Join US! FAB FOURS (4 week challenge group) NEW!

Options

Replies

• Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would like to join, if it's not too late? I slipped a LOT over thanksgiving, gaining back pretty much everything I had lost previously (ok, not quite that dramatic, but it feels that way), I could really use some motivation.

CW: 195
    GW: 190

A little about myself: I'm 21 years old, single, no kids. I have a steady job, steady income, yadda yadda. I have a golden retriever puppy that I've been neglecting lately, so my own personal goal is to take her for a walk (and if possible, run) at least 3 times a week. I just got done reading all 8 pages and am ready to start this! (if its not too late, that is)
  • skrumm
    skrumm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    On the sugar challenge: Perhaps no sugar is too difficult. Maybe we could avoid all excess sugars (candy, desserts, sugary drinks, etc.) for one day? What do you think?
    Oops.. I thought that was what we were doing. So, im just gonna stick with the no desserts etc. :smile:
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Sunsama, you are in! :flowerforyou: Welcome. I'll post an updated chart. Thanks for introducing yourself and for posting your weights. You've been busy reading all 8 pages!!
    Susan

There are now 38 fantastic Fab Four members!
    FabFour12_8-1.jpg
    Let me know if I got anybody's info wrong.
  • patty09
    patty09 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi put my goal weight on 170
    Will tell you later about malaysia. I am at work have got to go!
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not too late! I would like to join the group. I neeeeeed to join the group. I haven't been on MFP in a while and without the accountability I've fallen off the wagon.

I'm 31, married for 7 years and I have an 8 and 6 yr old. I'm a military wife, own 2 businesses and have church obligations, so I'm pretty busy. All of my friends are either skinny or content with the way they are so I can't seem to find a w/o buddy. I woke up this morning with a renewed sense of being and ready to get a jump start on the new year. My eating was great and I did 35 min of P90 FBE.

CW: 168.2
    GW: 159 - 1/5/10
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just wanted to check in at the end of my first day. I did really well and ended the day at just over 1500 calories (I'm aiming to stay between 1500 and 1600). I went out to dinner with a friend, but budgeted accordingly and ate exactly what I planned. I was also able to evade the crazy table of sugary stuff that was set out at work. I can't eat gluten which makes abstaining from baked stuff easy and I totally avoided eye contact with the candy and peppermint bark so as not to be tempted!

kelynn - I'm gluten-free too and have been for over a year and a half. I know it seems really hard in the beginning, but it really does get easier the longer you stick with it! I've only had one big slip-up, on my birthday about a year ago in October, and that was enough to remind me of exactly how crappy I feel when I eat gluten. If you need any advice let me know. I've tried pretty much every gluten-free product out there!

Also, you might want to get your thyroid retested after being off it for a while, because celiac is actually an autoimmune disorder and it can mimic other autoimmune diseases like thyroid disorders, type 2 diabetes, etc. Sometimes when you cut out gluten, the other problems will resolve themselves too. There are also lots of herbs that can boost your thyroid function if you're looking to avoid meds. If you do go on the meds you can also try a six month trial to let your thyroid "rest" and then try going off of them. This isn't an approach that most regular doctors use (or even believe in), but it's pretty widely practiced by naturopaths. Sometimes if you let the thyroid rest, especially if you combine that with herbs and diet changes, the gland can regenerate itself to such a degree that it will begin functioning normally again. Much longer than that though and it can actually begin to atrophy from disuse. (I have a master's degree in Chinese medicine and have worked with quite a few patients with autoimmune dysfunction which is how I know about this stuff.)

I hope everyone else had a great day and I look forward to seeing everyone's posts tomorrow!
  • slightingscale
    Options
    ebh1024 wrote:
    ...For those that watched the Biggest Loser Finale tonight...wow if that doesn't get you motivated, I don't know what will! That was an awesome finale and to see the change in the contestants. Not just the physical aspect but also the emotional part. Having weight issues is such an emotional barrier it is so hard to deal with. But knowing that we can change physically and emotionaly is just amazing. I want this emotional barrier lifted for good...ready to be happy again:happy:

We all can be Biggest Losers too! Just think, day one is almost over, well pretty much over! Lets get on the ball again tomorrow!!!
    nsbl2c-1.gif
    It's fun to summarize a list of losers for the week in the Biggest Loser fashion. Next Wednesday (after everyone weighs in), I'll post a list of those of us that lost weight that week, in the order of their % weight loss, just like on the Biggest Loser. There will be a Fab Four person in first place, but we'll all be winners, no matter how small our loss! It's fun to try and make the BL list!
  • slightingscale
    Options
    Essence320, Welcome! :flowerforyou: I was able to get you on the chart. I'm glad you're here! Thanks for posting.
    Susan
  • mrsrobinson
    Options
    OK sorry I am so late but it is technically still Tuesday in the midwest! :laugh:

CW: 459 (so depressing but I have to start - I can't keep going into denial)
    GW: 449

I know I can lose ten pounds during this challenge. I am up for the no sweets challenge for tomorrow, Wed. Will there be a list of who picks the challenge on what day? How does that happen?

OK, so when we say "no sweets", do margaritas count? :tongue:

We can do this, Fab Fours! !! :smooched:
  • slightingscale
    Options
    OK sorry I am so late but it is technically still Tuesday in the midwest! :laugh:
    I am up for the no sweets challenge for tomorrow, Wed. Will there be a list of who picks the challenge on what day? How does that happen?

OK, so when we say "no sweets", do margaritas count? :tongue:

We can do this, Fab Fours! !! :smooched:
    Hi bluenote. Yes, our weigh in numbers are humbling, but it all starts with being honest with ourselves. I admire you, and we can all help support each other.
    We're kinda' winging it on the daily challenges. If you think of one tomorrow, post it. We have 38 people, so everyone can have a turn!
    Oh, and I think margaritas are pretty sour! More salty than sweet.:wink:
    Susan
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    No excess sugar? I can do that! I was just looking at my bread for sandwiches tomorrow and going.. this is going to be tough, everything I eat has only 1-2g of sugar in it, but thats something that is normal I think. I wish I had some more jello in the house cause that is a 0 sugar food. Alot of my diet consist of fruits and vegetables.. so I was going :noway: I could just NOT eat but I think that would be a BAD idea also.

I am so excited!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I must make myself clear on the SUGAR challenge: no sugar meaning: sugar-candy-cookies- cake-soda- lattes-ice cream etc. When you eat bread, nutri grain, milk, yogurt, fruit etc; they all have a little sugar NOT like the others I listed above so yes you may have things like bread for a sandwich! Sorry for the confusion!
    Verda
  • Jitteryspork
    Options
    I must make myself clear on the SUGAR challenge: no sugar meaning: sugar-candy-cookies- cake-soda- lattes-ice cream etc. When you eat bread, nutri grain, milk, yogurt, fruit etc; they all have a little sugar NOT like the others I listed above so yes you may have things like bread for a sandwich! Sorry for the confusion!
    Verda

Ok Good!!! THAT I CAN DO! Thanks Verda! I think that is an awesome challenge, especially with all the candies and pies floating around this time of year. I know we all can do it! I walked in the office and didnt even look at the candy canes! I am 100% sugar free strong! :happy:

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Bluenote, Welcome! Don't be discouraged by your weight! You have already started on the right path just by signing up and taking the time to explore MFP. You have taken even a bigger step by joining us on this Challenge. I've been with most of the members for about a week preparing for the kick-off yesterday, and let me tell you, they are the most supportive group I have found! You made the right choice and we are gonna watch those lbs melt off together! :)
    nsbl2c-1.gif
    It's fun to summarize a list of losers for the week in the Biggest Loser fashion. Next Wednesday (after everyone weighs in), I'll post a list of those of us that lost weight that week, in the order of their % weight loss, just like on the Biggest Loser. There will be a Fab Four person in first place, but we'll all be winners, no matter how small our loss! It's fun to try and make the BL list!

This sounds great! With all the fans (I don't have cable, but if I did!!!) here I am sure it will help us! The more rewarding, the better the motivation!
  • rose_parker9784
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I may have slipped up on the sugar challenge already. But it was for a good cause- orange juice. I never realized how much sugar was in o.j. but I'm a huge pop drinker and I already got myself down to about 1 can a day so I will try to go without today. I just love fruit juices but they have quite a bit of sugar in them. Well good luck to everyone today!
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! I need this! My son and I make cookies for the neighbors and last year I gained about 5 pds.. So I forgot to tell a little about me:
    I'm 41 live in Georgia. I have a 7yr old son and a wonderful husband! I used to teach aerobics, bikeathons, wind surf, kayak, softball, volleyball, I still play on a tennis league..was very active- never had a weight problem until after childbirth. I gained 70pds with my pregnancy..and I've had a hard time getting it off! After my son, I lost myself. I'm a southerner and was raised in a family where the mother did everything..I worked full-time, cooked every night, helped coach his sports, teach children's church, etc, etc, etc,...and time I took for myself=0...I'm trying to get to a place where I don't feel guilty for doing things for myself. I did quit my job back in April and started helping my husband with his business..So that has allowed me more time to exercise and with my family. I started running and have done 2- 5k runs..I also continue to play on a tennis league and recently my husband and I finished 13 weeks of P90X. He lost 20 pds and got ripped...I lost 5 pds and a few inches...The weight is just not coming off like I thought it would being I never was heavy before...??? Anyway, I want to lose atleast 35 pds...and get healthier! I'm glad to have this support!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just wanted to check in at the end of my first day. I did really well and ended the day at just over 1500 calories (I'm aiming to stay between 1500 and 1600). I went out to dinner with a friend, but budgeted accordingly and ate exactly what I planned. I was also able to evade the crazy table of sugary stuff that was set out at work. I can't eat gluten which makes abstaining from baked stuff easy and I totally avoided eye contact with the candy and peppermint bark so as not to be tempted!

kelynn - I'm gluten-free too and have been for over a year and a half. I know it seems really hard in the beginning, but it really does get easier the longer you stick with it! I've only had one big slip-up, on my birthday about a year ago in October, and that was enough to remind me of exactly how crappy I feel when I eat gluten. If you need any advice let me know. I've tried pretty much every gluten-free product out there!

Also, you might want to get your thyroid retested after being off it for a while, because celiac is actually an autoimmune disorder and it can mimic other autoimmune diseases like thyroid disorders, type 2 diabetes, etc. Sometimes when you cut out gluten, the other problems will resolve themselves too. There are also lots of herbs that can boost your thyroid function if you're looking to avoid meds. If you do go on the meds you can also try a six month trial to let your thyroid "rest" and then try going off of them. This isn't an approach that most regular doctors use (or even believe in), but it's pretty widely practiced by naturopaths. Sometimes if you let the thyroid rest, especially if you combine that with herbs and diet changes, the gland can regenerate itself to such a degree that it will begin functioning normally again. Much longer than that though and it can actually begin to atrophy from disuse. (I have a master's degree in Chinese medicine and have worked with quite a few patients with autoimmune dysfunction which is how I know about this stuff.)

I hope everyone else had a great day and I look forward to seeing everyone's posts tomorrow!

mskelly-

Thanks for the information. In the short time that I have been eating gluten-free, I have noticed some things resolving themselves- for example, I no long have terrible episodes of hypoglycemia that I have had pretty much my whole life. I feel much, much better. I'm getting more used to eating GF at home, but it still stinks to try to go out to dinner:ohwell: . I'm hoping that at my doctor's appointment on the 15th I'll at least know what the next step is- the amount of time all of this takes is frustrating, but that's how the medical world works, I guess :huh:

Do you know what herbs tend to help the thyroid? I am getting to the point where I cannot deal with my increased hunger anymore! :explode:

Thanks again for the information! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I didn't eat any "junk" sugar yesterday, got my run in, and stayed within my calories! :drinker:
  • Jitteryspork
    Options
    16132_365653350564_760695564_10449576_4904731_s.jpg

My Candy man just showed up!! I am an insurance agent and we have "mold remediation" and "Auto Glass Warehouse" and "carpet cleaning" people come in all the time with treats to get us to remember them when a person has a claim. This comes courtesy of Stan, the carpet cleaning man. "AmeriDry"

Not a good time...

Kelynn - Yay for the sucessful day yesterday!
  • skrumm
    skrumm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No sweets yet! I put a note up in my kitchen to remind me not to put sugar in my coffee. I think i better keep the note up, i have a bad habbit of snacking on my kids and husbands snacks. Hope everyone is having a good day! shelly
  • artichoke
    Options
    hey all! i'd like to join in...i completely fell off the wagon over thanksgiving. i gained back over half of what i had lost.

anyway, today is a new day and a new start. i'm glad to see that there are gluten-free folks on this thread. i am phasing it out, and it stinks!

okay - have a great day everyone. i'm off to the gym!!

p.s. my four week goal is to have a total 10lb loss.....6 to go.
  • Jitteryspork
    Options
    I updated my ticker to show my progress with the Fab Fours!