For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.

Full fat ice cream is low GI and glycemic load, but is unclean so shouldn't be eaten anyways. And dairy is terrible for you cause Paleo man didn't eat it.

Full fat ice cream is unclean?? Its alot healthier for you than the low fat or non fat kind thats nothing but chemicals and toxins. But anyway, Ill let that one slide, what I really wanted to point out is although full fat ice cream may be low GI and glycemic, it still has high carbs and carbs = insulin spike.

It's unclean because it's processed. The fat in the ice cream lowers the insulin spike. Don't forget protein = insulin spike too

Ummm...protein=insulin spike? On Mars?

Here on Earth, unlike in some fantasy world some people live in where protein is not insulinogenic. I suspect in the same fantasy world, unicorns roam and cry rainbow tears
  • reginapeak
    reginapeak Posts: 24
    Options
    Me too- thanks for posting!!!!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.

Full fat ice cream is low GI and glycemic load, but is unclean so shouldn't be eaten anyways. And dairy is terrible for you cause Paleo man didn't eat it.

Full fat ice cream is unclean?? Its alot healthier for you than the low fat or non fat kind thats nothing but chemicals and toxins. But anyway, Ill let that one slide, what I really wanted to point out is although full fat ice cream may be low GI and glycemic, it still has high carbs and carbs = insulin spike.

It's unclean because it's processed. The fat in the ice cream lowers the insulin spike. Don't forget protein = insulin spike too

Ummm...protein=insulin spike? On Mars?

Right here on planet Earth. Insulin is necessary for tissue protein synthesis, and in conjunction with amino acids, has a net anabolic effect.
  • amyschintler
    Options
    I find that the weekend is the time when I don't bother with the plan. This is a family meal and takeaway time for us and although I do keep my portions down I do not miss out. Once Monday hits, then it is back to the plan and watching my calories. Allow yourself a day or two to be normal (well to let loose) and then start again. Don't kick yourself, sometimes you just need to do it.
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How many of us started our "diet" by eating clean, only to fail?! I think the post is extremely encouraging to those who have "tried everything".
    Of course clean eating is the ideal way to go, but for many it just won't work. Many people, like me, will find that a slower adaptation to healthier living will last for the long term.
    I don't think her post was rude at all. And if it's wasn't PC enough for you- please! Seriously?? She's just told a lot of people that they CAN do it. Some minor changes in their lifestyle can make a world of difference.

Argeed...

I dont remember reading in the original post that EVERYBODY on MFP had to read her post and try and apply what was written to themselves. You CAN do it, you dont have to...

If you dont like what the OP has to say, move on, dont stress about it... you'll live longer. Stress is super bad for you.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    FatgutBgone I ate all those things today and tomorrow I go back to the gym. I eat the more healthy versions now like whole wheat pasta, ground chicken meat and sugar free ice cream. Also everything in moderation.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We sometimes go out to an all you can eat Chinese buffet, order pizza n wings, as long as I can have them in moderation I will be good, n anyway I work my butt off for the extras. :)
  • Melissa82434
    Melissa82434 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is the BEST thing I have herd in a LONG time!!!!!! Depriving yourself can really only lead to possible over eating...the "evil" foods. Moderation IS best....even Jillian says that........."dont deprive"
    I just LOVE how you put this into perspective though... I really got a giggle & a smile out of it :) And honestly it made me feel SO much better about my food choices today, for dinner I had broasted potatoes :) NOW...........I dont feel so guilty about it :)

• jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Me to. I did the low carb off and on lose and gain game for a while til I gave uo. Now I eat everything only now I have so many of what I now call treats, apples, bananas, veggies galore, and with garden coming on I will have plenty but it will fit in :wink:
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in eating what you like ..... as long as you practice portion control. I don't think I could stay with my "diet" if all I ate was rice cakes and raw veggies. I have read other people say " Lifestyle Change" which I fully agree with. Life does not always allow you to eat your "diet" foods all the time. You have to learn how to eat everyday foods in moderation to fit your new healthier lifestyle.

The problem is the word diet. "Diet" foods are actually foods that are good for your body and fuel them in a positive way. "Every day" foods are what made industries rich and the public in poor health.

^This! People think that fast food, bleached white bread, and processed food is "normal", when it's really not and it's a new (past 50 years or so) thing. There are *so* many health advances in the medical world, so why are people cropping up with odd health issues more often? Because we feed ourselves chemicals. I look at "health/diet food" like chicken, rice, vegetables, etc, as normal food, and the processed chemically laced food as "junk/occasional" food. I might still crave brownies and chips and sugar and empty calories, but I *feel* better when the majority of my diet comes from things that don't make me sick. Eating healthy doesn't necessarily mean low cal either! I even consider things like beef, milk, and cheese health foods as long as they're not kraft singles slices or mcdonalds burgers.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We are so obsessed with food. It's very simple; our body is like a machine and uses food as fuel. Give it junk and eventually it doesn't run as well. It's like giving a car bad gas.
  • losinitagain1
    Options
    You said some where in all these pages that you are pregnant? Small suggestion: add a sodium column and a calcium column to your food log. The baby will take the nutrients first and without the proper calcium, the baby will take it from your bones. And too much sodium will make ankles swell. NOT saying that will happen to you but just a suggestion. Also, get some fresh fruit and fresh veggies in!! ; ) Good luck with your pregnancy and weight loss!
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    How do you control yourself with portions? The more I exercise, the more I can't control myself because my cravings get intensified. Example, I burn 200 calories, I was going to eat one cookie, but then I end up eating 1,000 calories worth of food in addition to that one cookie. :(

It helps to eat your treats as sllooooooowwwllllyyyy as possible. Savour every bite like it's your last :)

And to the OP, I respect your rant. Express yourself! Hey hey hey hey !
  • ehalps26
    ehalps26 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS, GOD BLESS YA
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love those 1000 calorie burritos from Chipotle! :D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP :)

Just bought my low fat ice cream & will be eating some high GI white rice with other stuff for dinner. I'm glad that I won't get fat overnight because of this.

IIFYM for sure.
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

This times 1,000,000!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

This times 1,000,000!

What is this "clean" you speak of?
  • JFae32
    JFae32 Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks for sharing this, makes me feel good to know you don't have to eat like a rabbit to achieve your goals.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Exactly. Its not about just being within your calorie range. It's about being healthy, too. At least for me it is!

But if I only eat 100% healthy foods, I can't meet my calorie goals. So I gotta eat a mixture of healthy and not-so-healthy-but-okay-in-moderation foods. >.<

Do you eat nuts? Avocado? Whole grains? There are plenty of high calorie healthy whole food options.

WHY do some people who THINK they are eating "Clean" and /or Healthy believe that High Allergen foods (NUTS, Dairy, Whole Grain/Gluten, Soy, even fish and shell fish...) ARE HEALTHY for EVERYONE!!!? People need to start to use COMMON SENSE and whatever Works for them, and they want to Do it...Then "More Power To You!"

I just hope people know that all these EXCESSIVE Exercise Routines are NOT sustainable; not only that, they cause joint, muscle and tissue damage, and Running is one of the worse exercises you can do. So, choose what you will...to eat and to exercise, come 45+ you will PAY for it. You don't see people over 45 going much for the Extremes, because they did it, know it is not sustainable and many are now paying for the BAD Extreme choices they made at a younger age. The arthritis, back problems, muscle damage, foot problems, stomach problems, cancers...SoOoOoO, choose your poison NOW, we'll see the RESULTS at 40+ y.o.
    STICK with Moderation in All Things and as you age you will be able to make "Shifts" (in diet and exercise, and Life) Easier. But hey, I was told that too, when I was younger...didn't listen, paying for it...So, knock yourselves out! Do Extreme Everything!