50 shades of grey....

Options

Replies

• wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    My wife read them, and then talked me into readign them as well, I didn't have a major problem with them, I can see how they were aimed at woman, especially when every male is supposedly the best looking guy on the planet, and all have money and are great in bed. Also the storyline about taking some guy who has a lot of issues, and being the woman that can control him, I can see a lot of woman erally liking this. Honestly some of the sex scenes had me laughing, I mean if woman are expecting sex to always be this good, no wonder some woman are unhapy in their relationships after reading this.

It was a decent love story, and yes the characters have flaws, but there are quite a few woman I think would stick it out, and have stuck it out with guys with similar issues,

They were a good quick read, that didn't take a lot of thought. I also think this is a good entrance into erotic fiction and BDSM, it wasn't over the top, and pretty tame from my understanding. It definittly open my wife up to talking about different things, and trying new stuff out. There not great, but not every book is a maserpiece.
  • Divaflo1
    Divaflo1 Posts: 15
    Options
    LOL

:blushing:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Aparently they only 'seem' poorly writted as the woman who wrote them is from the uk trying to write an american style book, so theres a mixture of english writted (ana's obsession with england) and american writing, so from uk and america there's a chance people from england think the america grammer and spellings are wrong, and americans think the english written grammer and spellings are wrong.
    The writer (if you can consider her one) does use some unfamiliar expressions (like calling her vag "my sex"), but the ridiculous overuse of the same words is NOT just a cultural thing. Its seriously amateur and could have been helped a lot with just using a thesaurus!

I only got through the first one (barely) and didn’t subject myself to the others, because I was already screaming at the book for its terrible writing. If I had to read “Inner Goddess” one more time, or put up with any more gasping, murmuring, whispering, or “blinking up at him”, I was ready to smash my eReader against the wall.

I LOVED this amazon review of the second book. Someone used their Kindle to do a word count....

Lips bitten: 25
    Eyes widened: 21
    Eyes rolled: 51
    "oh my": 45
    Scowls: 48
    Gasps: 62
    "jeez": 76
    Smirks: 91
    Flushes/blushes: 133
    F-bombs dropped: 173
    Whispers: 251
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I read them, and enjoyed them. Literary genious, no. Yet, I read all 3 and didn't feel as though I was wasting my time. I read to escape, and that's exactly what they did for me...took me out of my reality. I do have to say, it cracks me up how many people on here are saying how poorly written, etc., etc., and yet, you read all 3 books? Really? If you were THAT offended by the poor writing, why would you subject yourself to more? Just sayin'...:wink:

I only have the first and I am trudging through it b/e I spent sixteen of my hard earned dollars on it. When I am done I am going to burn it b/c I cannot pawn it off on anyone I know.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Aparently they only 'seem' poorly writted as the woman who wrote them is from the uk trying to write an american style book, so theres a mixture of english writted (ana's obsession with england) and american writing, so from uk and america there's a chance people from england think the america grammer and spellings are wrong, and americans think the english written grammer and spellings are wrong.
    The writer (if you can consider her one) does use some unfamiliar expressions (like calling her vag "my sex"), but the ridiculous overuse of the same words is NOT just a cultural thing. Its seriously amateur and could have been helped a lot with just using a thesaurus!

I only got through the first one (barely) and didn’t subject myself to the others, because I was already screaming at the book for its terrible writing. If I had to read “Inner Goddess” one more time, or put up with any more gasping, murmuring, whispering, or “blinking up at him”, I was ready to smash my eReader against the wall.

I LOVED this amazon review of the second book. Someone used their Kindle to do a word count....

oh no i wasnt sticking up for her i agree that was just an excuse i found.... thats why i said apparently. :)
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I read them, and enjoyed them. Literary genious, no. Yet, I read all 3 and didn't feel as though I was wasting my time. I read to escape, and that's exactly what they did for me...took me out of my reality. I do have to say, it cracks me up how many people on here are saying how poorly written, etc., etc., and yet, you read all 3 books? Really? If you were THAT offended by the poor writing, why would you subject yourself to more? Just sayin'...:wink:

I only have the first and I am trudging through it b/e I spent sixteen of my hard earned dollars on it. When I am done I am going to burn it b/c I cannot pawn it off on anyone I know.

Wow...I got all 3 from amazon for about $16.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I "read" the first one and I use that term loosely. Basically I skipped a lot because I got so bored with the childishness of it, especially the emails. It seemed like she was just trying to fill up pages by putting in all the email banter back and forth. It was kind of stupid.

Also what I think people are missing here is that Christian was the Dom in the relationship which was why he was so "controlling". In a BDSM lifestyle the roles aren't always just relegated to bedroom play. The dominate person in that sort of relationship could have control over the sub in other aspects of his/her life as in this book where he controlled what she ate, gave her an allowance and all that. In all honest I never felt that he was a controlling jerk, probably because I sort of understand the lifestyle and I did a little research on it. Google is an AMAZING tool!
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I see this book the same way I see all romance novels.

IQ sucking black holes encouraging unhealthy perspectives on what relationships should be.

Exactly!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Katrina Lumsden on goodreads.com has the best reviews of the trilogy, complete with appropriate gifs.

Fifty Shades of Grey - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215/

Fifty Shades Darker - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/341907930

Fifty Shades Freed - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/347430024

I think you just made my year.
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Don't forget "apex of my thighs" LOL

I don't know how many times I read those words...ugh. So glad I downloaded them for free.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I see this book the same way I see all romance novels.

IQ sucking black holes encouraging unhealthy perspectives on what relationships should be.

Exactly!

It's called "Fantasy" and "Fiction" for a reason. If you're reading it and thinking it's real then you're a moron. I enjoy reading novels like that because it's an IQ sucking black hole and for however long it takes me to get through the book I can escape and imagine and unwind.
  • kristymcgee
    Options
    I agree. I don't like the books/movies with these domineering, control freak guys and the wishy washy girls. I didn't like how she would always whine and was so weak..."I don't know what i want" (eye roll) I didn't mind all the sex, but it did end up getting a little too much. I showed my friends the book early on and dared them to turn to any page, there would be sex. LOL I am just glad i had it on my ipad and not a paper copy!
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Katrina Lumsden on goodreads.com has the best reviews of the trilogy, complete with appropriate gifs.

I think you just made my year.

These reviews were just. the. best. thing. ever.

Christian Grey is annoying as hell, damaged does not begin to describe him. Gorgeous but damaged, bad bad combination in real life!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    The books are terrible, in my opinion. But addictive. The author knows how to make you want to keep reading. However, Grey as a character is horrible. I don't really understand how all the girls are like, "Ooo Greeeyyy. So dreamy and perfect!" Okay, handsome and rich I get, but also controlling with a crap ton of baggage, and kind of a suffocating jerk. I'm not sure how that's appealing at all. Also Ana always gives into to everything, despite her being a "different sort of character who will stand her ground".

Ana had the potential to being a really cool character, until she kept giving into everything just because he sexed her and gave her googly eyes. Geez, it's just kind of demeaning.

Edit: Also, I might be the only female in the world who has read this and thinks this way. Feel free to disagree with me, this is just my two cents.

Nope. You're not the only one who thought Grey was overbearing and Ana was wishy-washy. I wouldn't call the books terrible, though...they are addictive enough for me to have finished them. I also thought that the writing wasn't as fantastic as everyone thinks. Alice Sebold (The Lovely Bones) is an amazing writer. E L James is a decent writer, yes...her trilogy is certainly compelling as I finished it in four days. But I felt as though I were reading about Bella (Twilight series) minus the vampire and werewolves adding in S&M. (When I found out that these books began as Twilight "fan Fiction," it suddenly made sense as to why I felt that way.)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options

This exactly. ;)
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

i read all 3.

like said earlier the author knew how to draw you in and make it "addicting" however, retarded story line, rushed.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Best reviews I've seen sofar on these books. Way too funny!
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I couldn't get past the 4th chapter. Lame to me.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only woman that doesn't see a warped man with tons of baggage, and automatically thinks "Oh, yay! A project, I will fix him and he will forever be mine, so what if he mentally and physically abuses me in the process!"

I just don't get all the women swooning over this character!

I love that I married a well adjusted, happy man!!

Don't worry, I'm like you. I never get into a relationship trying to change the other person, I always accept them for who they are. If I find out that I don't like them for who they are, I leave them. Never try to change them, never cheat on them. I like a clean break off, and that's all.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Best reviews I've seen sofar on these books. Way too funny!

This is sad. I read the first review and it sounds a lot like the relationship one of my friends is in. Right down to the "He's mad at me, it's all my fault" thing. Never read the book, but that doesn't seem healthy at all.