Honest answers only

Options

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Some straight kids would probably turn out better if raised by two moms or dads etc... So independent on the individual if it benefits or harms them really. We can't make these blanket statements. Here is a thought... lets focus more on unfit straight parents since we all know they are out there in abundance. At least the gay parents can make an informed decision and not have "accidents" that force them to raise a child they didn't want.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You didn't quite understand the previous comment before you got on your...Gigantic SOAP BOX......The comment was referring to the child of same sex parents becoming subject to teasing and abuse from other children....and let's be real...Bulling is a age old problem that ALL children will encounter at some point in their childhood....wether its being too fat,skinny,light dark,short,tall, freckles,glasses you name it some kid will encounter that type of peer abuse...why would anyone want to add GAY Parents to the list...beats me....If you want a child...get It the way it was intended....by copulation beteween a MAN & WOMAN.

Right, so gay people shouldn't have children because THAT kid was raised that it was ok to bully gay people. That's stupid logic. 60 years ago, a black kid would have been picked on in school, too. How did we remedy that? Did we just stop sending black children to school? NO, the norms of society changed. If we change the norms of society and teach our kids to tolerate different lifestyles (instead of raising them in hate like we do now) then it won't even be an issue.

Also, you can only have kids 'the natural way'? what about a straight couple pursuing adoption? In vitro? Surrogacy?

No....Black children didn't stop going to school because of racism...segregation took care of that...but since desegregation the norms havent changed that much...in my City...going on right now...is a fight between city and county schools. as it stands now city kids cant attend county schools sure the county schools are in the Suburbs and better education...and the City schools are ing the Inner city...but a bill has been passed to merge county and city schools so that any child can attend where they want....and suburbia are OUTRAGED!!! Some are saying that they will move to another county not to have city children with their Lily delicate children...and It comes down to a Black and White issue too..so don't give me the Society Norm speech..ppl are not teaching their children to tolerate any thing different...instead if anything there teaching them not to Hate the different...but don't fraternize with them.....

Straight couple pursuing adoption In vitro or Surrogancy Is fine...If its medically proven that you are sterile....that may very well be the case with me and my Husband and I proven so then we will do what we need to do to have a family...there's nothing wrong with those methods...If you cant procreate the natural way....

The irony in this entire post is so thick I could cut it. Thank you so much for indirectly making my point!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid these types of threads, but I'm sick to death of people claiming to be Christians using the Bible and their faith to persecute others. I also find it morally reprehensible when people spread hate and bigotry in the name of God.

I believe in God, I believe in living a good, moral, giving life. I will NOT judge anyone on this planet based on what the Bible says, because I'm far from perfect myself.

I fully, 100% support LGBT rights in this country. Bible and religion aside, we should NOT base civil rights on personal religious beliefs.

I have tattoos, I have piercings, I've been divorced (twice), I've had sex outside the confines of marriage, I drink, I used to smoke, I employ artificial means of birth control and I curse like a sailor................ALL of those things are sinful, according to the Bible......should I be stripped of MY rights as an American citizen based on those things?

To each his own, everyone in this country is entitled to the same rights and freedoms as every other person in this country and EVERYONE is deserving of love and compassion.

Rant over.........have a happy day. :happy:
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    I just think, who cares?! People are going to think how they want and stick to their guns even if it offends people, you never know what their parents taught them to believe... Which makes a HUGE impact on a person growing up.
    Me personally, I could care less on what people want to do with their lives, as long as their happy!! I have a gay guy friend (who didn't come out of the closet until middle school), never once thought different of him...he's an amazing friend!!! xoxo
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    Without meaning to offend anyone, the zoologist in me is dying to ask- people who disagree with homosexuality because it "isn't natural"- are you meaning to say that you think our modern technology is natural? Is it natural that you're sat at a computer slating people who's actions do not affect you? Is it natural that you shave? Is it natural to be wearing clothes instead of going completely bare like we were born? Are you against IVF or fertility treatment between straight couples? Or do you still believe in survival of the fittest and that if they can't reproduce on their own that they just shouldn't have kids?
    To say it's not natural is to say that you think everything else you chose to do is completely natural. As humans we've developed to do a whole bunch of things that take us away from what we'd "naturally" be doing. If you're to be against all that is not natural we would still be in the dark ages like cave men. And in case you hadn't noticed, we're not all beating each other up like chimps to get laid anymore.
    Just curious.

That said, I think slating religious people for their beliefs and lifestyle is equally is wrong as bashing gay people for who they're having sex with.

Good points but slightly mixed up Darwinian argument - one point to consider: If homosexuality were the norm... could we have evolved from the caves or our genetic cousins?

no need to bash me .... see my post on tolerance.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Honestly, how can you want an honest answer but forbid talk of the bible if someone believes in the bible?

Because I would like to see other reasons as to why you or others are against it. Are you against it ONLY because the bible tells you it is wrong?

For Christians, the Bible is our foundation, whether or not non-Christians agree with that. So yes, there are some people who are against it only because it's in the Bible.

But that being said, I don't think it is ever okay to be mean and hateful to people - not just with gay people, but with anything - politics, religion, you name it. There is no chance for open, honest discussion if people aren't willing to listen, regardless of your stance on the topic.

This is how I feel. Whether I agree with it or not, I have NO right to judge anyone for it or spread the hatred that is already rampant in relation to this subject
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Honestly, how can you want an honest answer but forbid talk of the bible if someone believes in the bible?

Yep...this!

I am not anti-gay. I am anti-sin, I don't approve of any sex between anyone that isn't husband and wife. That includes straight couples who aren't married. The only sex that is ok in God's eyes is between and husband and wife. Any other is sin, gay or not!
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    At least the gay parents can make an informed decision and not have "accidents" that force them to raise a child they didn't want.

Exactly. The world has so many people who just "oops, had another kid, Let's go be on Teen Mom," type of parents right now, people who have kids just to get more in tax refunds. People who pump out kids so they get more government help.

And then you have same sex couples who want children desperately. And are told NO simply because they are the same gender. I have had same sex friends/couples who have done the in vitro only to have it not take. It is heart breaking to see their excitement one day and their crushed hopes the next day. And really that is for ANYONE who has had failed in vitro. Not just them...
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    People hate homosexuals because they are afraid of things that are different. It is pretty simple. And it is very true, about people that hate homosexuals are often closeted homosexuals themselves. People found bible verses before civil rights to prove that black people were inferior and shouldn't wed white folks. That is the funny thing about text, it has to be interpreted. I agree with the bit about nature, homosexuality can be observed in nature all the time. Look up the giraffe's sexual practices for instance. However, lots of things are an insult to nature, like your carbon foot print.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    Without meaning to offend anyone, the zoologist in me is dying to ask- people who disagree with homosexuality because it "isn't natural"- are you meaning to say that you think our modern technology is natural? Is it natural that you're sat at a computer slating people who's actions do not affect you? Is it natural that you shave? Is it natural to be wearing clothes instead of going completely bare like we were born? Are you against IVF or fertility treatment between straight couples? Or do you still believe in survival of the fittest and that if they can't reproduce on their own that they just shouldn't have kids?
    To say it's not natural is to say that you think everything else you chose to do is completely natural. As humans we've developed to do a whole bunch of things that take us away from what we'd "naturally" be doing. If you're to be against all that is not natural we would still be in the dark ages like cave men. And in case you hadn't noticed, we're not all beating each other up like chimps to get laid anymore.
    Just curious.

That said, I think slating religious people for their beliefs and lifestyle is equally is wrong as bashing gay people for who they're having sex with.

Exactly what I was getting at...wow you type fast :)

Haha I'm glad someone is with me :) I hadn't noticed anyone else point that out. But thank you! Haha it comes when you have to write a couple of 2000 word essays a week for uni.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to respond to this but something on here just touched my nerve. I don't think you are born lgbt, and I don't think you are born straight either. I don't think We were born rapists, child molesters, killers, etc. It is about choices that we make. We choose to fall in love with who we fall in love with. Just like before we joined this website WE chose to eat the way we did. I am a Christian, I believe in God, but I am not gonna shove my religion down anyone's throat or sit up on a high horse and think I am better than everyone else just because I don't agree with something that someone believe's in.

Nice to hear. Did you know that Jeffery Dahmer's dad admitted having some of the tendencies that his son did but he never acted on them. Perhaps it is something deeper than just situational.

I didn't know that at all. This is kinda why I didn't want to respond to this topic. Because I don't want to shove my religion down anyone's throat. I am not perfect I am far from it, I just wish people would be more acceptable and not judge someone because they are different.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What exactly does anti gay mean. Is it like people who just don't agree with it personally or people who are politically against it. Like no equal rights and what not.
    I don't know if OP had specifics in mind, but to me, if you think you have the option to agree or disagree with another person's sexuality, you qualify as anti-gay.

^^^This.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Straight couple pursuing adoption In vitro or Surrogancy Is fine...If its medically proven that you are sterile....that may very well be the case with me and my Husband and I proven so then we will do what we need to do to have a family...there's nothing wrong with those methods...If you cant procreate the natural way....
    You have to be proven sterile before you can pursue adoption? What are you even thinking about?
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yep...this!

I am not anti-gay. I am anti-sin, I don't approve of any sex between anyone that isn't husband and wife. That includes straight couples who aren't married. The only sex that is ok in God's eyes is between and husband and wife. Any other is sin, gay or not!

And who told you it was wrong in God's eyes? What did he do, email you his opinion?.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to respond to this but something on here just touched my nerve. I don't think you are born lgbt, and I don't think you are born straight either. I don't think We were born rapists, child molesters, killers, etc. It is about choices that we make. We choose to fall in love with who we fall in love with. Just like before we joined this website WE chose to eat the way we did. I am a Christian, I believe in God, but I am not gonna shove my religion down anyone's throat or sit up on a high horse and think I am better than everyone else just because I don't agree with something that someone believe's in.
    When did you choose to be straight? Could you choose to fall in love with a woman?

If I was led by my heart yes I could. You fall in love with who you fall in love with.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes I could, if my heart was led to it yes. But like I said I am not gonna judge anyone for how they live their lives or how or what they believe, that's not my job. My point is you fall in love with who you fall in love with. And I don't think people should be judgmental either.
    Your first point was that you choose who to fall in love with, now you're saying the opposite.

And by the way if you're "straight" but you have the capability to be attracted to women, you aren't straight.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a Trysexual... I will try anything.

Just kidding ;)

I'm straight, but I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and always have. Perhaps they don't conform with what the bible says, but in this particular case... the bible is wrong. Yes, it's a great guideline, but it was still put together by humans (who make mistakes... often in the name of God).

My G&L friends are some of the most caring people I know (and have ever met). They don't judge others for being themselves. Perhaps this was learned because of the abuse and mistreatment they had to deal with while growing up, but either way... I'm proud to have their friendship and God is proud to have them represent the kinder non-judgmental side of the human population.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I'd actually say that people use their religion to justify their homophobia. There are plenty of non-religious homophobes out there too.

totally agree! I've noticed Christians get very nasty when you ask them, 'Do you believe God created all of us?' (YES) 'Then why did he create homosexuals if he hates them?'

God doesn't hate anyone. He hates sin. And God did not create people to be gay. He would not create you a certain way and then tell you not to be that way. This world is tainted is sin and isn't anywhere near what God created it to be. But asking why God created someone if He hates them?? No, He doesn't hate. Even if you find yourself in Hell you will go there loved. Which now you will probably ask "if God loves us why would He send us to Hell"? He doesn't send anyone there, you choose it. He gave us all a free will and we can choose to obey His word or not. It's up to each one of us as individuals.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If it harms none, do what ye will.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It also says in the bible that you should kill your children if they disobey you, so I think giving "because it's in the bible" as an answer for anything is a complete fallacy.

I have never figured out the anti-gay thing either. Why is someone's sex-life anyone else's business?
This discussion has been closed.