Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
So just a couple of things I noticed on my cruise was when we were eating, there were OBVIOUSLY quite a few people on there that were obese and very overweight, so while waiting in line, I heard more than a few times some of them saying "hands aren't tied on this cruise" or "diet is out the door". Of course my first thought was that based on their physical appearance, it doesn't seem that they had any reason to make the statement. Now that's ASSUMING they weren't dieting prior to the cruise, but in reality, they aren't the size they are because of eating normally (in general cases). And let me tell you that there were so many people eating like they were starving when their bodies didn't show that was the case.
I believe you're there to enjoy a vacation, but there has to be a limit to how much you eat, just like in everyday life. I felt bad for one child who was only 12 (I estimated him to be about 185lb) and wanted to ride the Aquaduck ride with his dad (well over 350lbs), but together they were over the weight limit that was safe for 2 people to ride. So each had to go individually.
More the reason that we as people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.....make healthy choices....overeating causes so many health issues for both young and old. I was at Bruegger's Bagels this afternoon just having a quick iced coffee talking with a friend. I couldn't help but notice the number of people who strolled through the doors that were slightly (or more than) obese. My BMI is at 31% which is rated obese; I can't imagine being any heavier than I am now. I wish all the best of luck with their health. My Aunt Louise just passed away at 94yrs old. If I'm going to be alive until I'm 90'ish, I want to be able to get up and go and not be confined to a wheelchair or bed.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Everyone is on their individual journey toward health. I pay no attention to the comments of others because I know that their journey is not mine and vice versa. My grandmother lived to be 96 and she was 250lbs. She was never ill. My great grandmother was 200lbs and she died at 103. She was never ill. My father has been an athlete all of his life and never overweight. He is diabetic and at one point was insulin dependent. I am old enough to know that people have to find their own way and my thoughts about it do not matter. When people are ready they will make a change. When they are not ready, they will remain stagnant.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I went on vacation last week with a friend of mine she repeatedly told me not to worry about what I was eating because I was on vacation. Seems to be a common theme for people to throw it out the window. The last two times I went on vacation were the first times in my life I ever worked out while I was gone. I was pretty proud of myself.
  • kaali85
    kaali85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whats sad about the lad wanting to go on the aquaduck ride is he will learn his parents eating habits and prob do the same to his kid in 20 years too :(

That's the reason I'm on this journey...to never disappoint my children, to never have to say no based on my weight or lack of energy etc.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are genetically programmed to eat when we see food. It's natures way of protecting us in times of famine. However..... most of us here Always have available food. The toughest part is teaching ourselves to look away. So many times friends sabotage our efforts. I have found the ones who do are feeling guilty, knowing they might be better off not having so much either. Just my thoughts.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Don’t you think that we know that? I am “OBVIOUSLY” one of those “obese” (formerly morbidly obese) “and very overweight” people that enjoyed my dinner on my 2 week cruise in June. I was careful what I ate for breakfast and most of my lunches (some were on shore excursions that included local meals) but I fully enjoyed my dinners and ate what I thought was the most interesting (a lot of fish and seafood, however with rich sauces) as well as deserts.

Personally, I’m only concerned about my own weight and health problems as well as those of my wife, not that of others, because I don’t know their mindset or circumstances.

By the way, I gained one pound on my cruise.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A lot of us make comments here and there to justify our choices, whether or not they are justified. I know I've said some silly things here or there about food.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if I was on a cruise, I wouldn't be worrying about what other people are doing-I would be enjoying myself!
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Was the food good?
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise once to the Caribbean and I was disgusted the way people went on with food.... 4 meals a day some of which were8 courses, chocolate buffets, high tea, cooked breakfast, cold breakfast, brunch... You name it they were shovelling it down their throats. Mean while the phillapeanian staff were working like slaves to send the little money they earned to their families they would rather of lived with! Watching while food was piled high then left for them to put in bags and throw away... It was so disgusting... I will never ever go on a cruise again! Rant over x
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    On our cruise they were THROWING food at us, announced it over the intercom, the dj even pushed you to eat. If they werent pushing food, they were pushing drinks. So definitely once you board...you kind of get the feeling that EVERYONE throws it out the window. :( Sorry for the kid though, that had to be hard.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    More the reason that we as people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Hit the nail on the head.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.
    Yeah, same. If I'm going on some overpriced vacation, I'm going to eat.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Consider the possibility a 300-pound person standing in line may have once weighed 400 pounds and was going on a cruise to celebrate a 100-pound loss.

Not so crazy now, is it?!

:huh: :bigsmile:
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Don’t you think that we know that? I am “OBVIOUSLY” one of those “obese” (formerly morbidly obese) “and very overweight” people that enjoyed my dinner on my 2 week cruise in June. I was careful what I ate for breakfast and most of my lunches (some were on shore excursions that included local meals) but I fully enjoyed my dinners and ate what I thought was the most interesting (a lot of fish and seafood, however with rich sauces) as well as deserts.

Personally, I’m only concerned about my own weight and health problems as well as those of my wife, not that of others, because I don’t know their mindset or circumstances.

By the way, I gained one pound on my cruise.

I agree with this post. I think this whole thread is just an opportunity for people to talk about how grossed out they are about people around them and I don't like those intentions. Who cares about these comments people made in line to enjoy their cruise food? Maybe they really were on diets. Or maybe not. How do we know? Did you ask? So why make this post? So other people could chime in about other obese people they've seen daring to eat in public? I've never been on a cruise. One day I'll be able to afford one and then I'm eating whatever I want.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a fitness professional who found himself in a position to need to lose weight is so judgmental of others. You don't know any of those people, or any of their situations.

And if I'm not married to (or partnered with) them or parenting them, it's none of my damned business what anyone else is eating.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    OY! I agree with you. I don't think vacations are an excuse to let your diet completely slip into oblivion. It's a place to relax, enjoy nice food, but don't go "overboard".

I think most health-conscious people would just enjoy the fact that on a cruise the food is prepared for them and they don't have to make the effort. I wouldn't see it as a free-for-all. Yeah, I'd indulge in a treat here or there, but wouldn't go hog-wild.

It's all in the mind-set. Life-style vs. diet.

It's sad about the boy and his father. One of my daughter's friends is very overweight. When she used to come to our home (doesn't visit often anymore) I'd make healthy dinners or snacks and she wouldn't eat. She explained she was "allergic" to healthy food and it made her throw up. LOL. She's become so used to processed junk her body rejects the good stuff -- or at least that's what she believes. Sad, really.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a fitness professional who found himself in a position to need to lose weight is so judgmental of others. You don't know any of those people, or any of their situations.

And if I'm not married to (or partnered with) them or parenting them, it's none of my damned business what anyone else is eating.

high 5
This discussion has been closed.