Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Was the food good?

On a cruise..the food is pretty awesome. :)

Unless you go on Carnival, their food was gross! I guess that's what we got for going on a cheap cruise lol

Been on Carnival a bunch of times and had good food. Guess it must depend on the ships, we've been lucky 6 for 6 so far. :smile:
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    but don't forget guys....a re-feed, is often a good boost for weight loss....( one meal, or evening, dont go mad...)

but ur right, my friends wife said to me once....."wow, this food looks great, i guess my diet is out of the window"

and i said " yeah, been out of the window for while then eh?"

it was a bit mean i guess, but i hate it when people use any excuse to eat like slobs........

i used to do it, so i know ...it is a disease of the mind, and i dont mean obesity, i mean excuse making and creative avoidance...

they need to stop the overindulgence, and start changing their lifestyle rather than just "dieting", because it gives them more things to moan about, and grapple for attention, in the vein hope that someone will say, "hey you dont need to go on a diet"

rant over
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So just a couple of things I noticed on my cruise was when we were eating, there were OBVIOUSLY quite a few people on there that were obese and very overweight, so while waiting in line, I heard more than a few times some of them saying "hands aren't tied on this cruise" or "diet is out the door". Of course my first thought was that based on their physical appearance, it doesn't seem that they had any reason to make the statement. Now that's ASSUMING they weren't dieting prior to the cruise, but in reality, they aren't the size they are because of eating normally (in general cases). And let me tell you that there were so many people eating like they were starving when their bodies didn't show that was the case.
    I believe you're there to enjoy a vacation, but there has to be a limit to how much you eat, just like in everyday life. I felt bad for one child who was only 12 (I estimated him to be about 185lb) and wanted to ride the Aquaduck ride with his dad (well over 350lbs), but together they were over the weight limit that was safe for 2 people to ride. So each had to go individually.
    More the reason that we as people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I think that many people are starving, no matter how much they are eating, with the modified food like substances on the market today. Even the best foods grown in depleted soil wont' have the nutrition needed. I keep hearing the argument that you don't have to eat clean to lose weight but when you consume a whole, healthy meal you feel full and don't want to continue past the point of comfort. It may even take a week or two for your body to catch up but it will.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's about being mindful and remaining conscious when making your food choices and decisions. One can only do that if they are truly interested AND they have the correct knowledge and information. With that said, overheating on a cruise is not going to make someone obese. Obesity comes from what the individuals are doing when they are not on the cruise or vacation. It's longevity, or the pattern of behavior that shapes us literally.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not an exact on topic comment but, I remember eating my home cooked lunch in the break room at numerous office jobs and having co-workers look at me with disgust and say, "You eat way to healthy!" Yes, well. I couldn't afford to 'eat out' every day at work, beside which I ENJOY cooking and eating my own food. I see this as the other side of this topic...it's *like* I can't win, 'cause ya know what happened to me when I *did* stop cooking as much for myself? You betcha, I gain ~100lbs in a year. So, now I am back to being a "way too healthy eater" and have lost ~40lbs. I still have many to go and am here to get a better track on...tracking my calorie intake.
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

I don’t drink. And yet my tax dollars pay for cirrhosis, drunk driving accidents and alcohol poising.

I’ve never done drugs. And yet my tax dollars pay for people whose lives and bodies fall apart due to drug abuse.

I look both ways before I cross the street. And yet I have to pay for people who get run over after failing to do so.

I exercise regularly – cardio, flexibility, and resistance training. Yet my tax dollars will pay for people (of all shapes and sizes) whose sedentary lifestyle leads to health problems.

I don't have unprotected sex, or have children. And yet I have to pay for STD treatments, the cancer/infertility that comes from STDs, and the MASSIVE amounts of money spent on breeders pre- and post-natal care (not to mention their children's care).

Obesity is picked out particularly as something people are "allowed" to bully about because it's the easiest thing to SEE when looking at someone, even though there are people who are healthy overweight and people who are unhealthy at the "ideal" weight. I'm here to get healthy and get my body in the shape *I* want it to be in, not the shape anyone else thinks would be the ideal shape to reduce national healthcare spending.

(Oh and PS - a more accurate indication of healthy vs. unhealthy would be cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar testing. Until everyone wears those numbers on their chest, we won't know how they may negatively impact our budget.)
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    I wonder if perhaps the trainer has lost focus, gained weight...or perhaps gotten "fed up" with people who've signed a contract then suddenly decide "This is too hard" and never come in sight of that trainer (or the front door of the gym) again. Nevertheless, to be so judgmental HERE in particular is not supportive and not what those of us who are learning a better way to live need to hear. When I see morbidly obese people--as I was--I want to cry sometimes. But I refuse to judge them. I'm not living in their skin, I don't know what their issues are. Most of my life, I ate to hide from memories of physical abuse. I don't have that issue now, but it took years to work through it. I haven't defeated overweight yet, but I haven't given up and I don't think ANYONE has any right to judge another based on weight, based on how they do--or don't--eat or exercise. The "Daughter of my heart"--not my biological child, but the mother of my only grandchild--was once anorexic. But I've never personally known a woman with a more giving, supportive spirit. Judgment has no place here.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Not an exact on topic comment but, I remember eating my home cooked lunch in the break room at numerous office jobs and having co-workers look at me with disgust and say, "You eat way to healthy!" Yes, well. I couldn't afford to 'eat out' every day at work, beside which I ENJOY cooking and eating my own food. I see this as the other side of this topic...it's *like* I can't win, 'cause ya know what happened to me when I *did* stop cooking as much for myself? You betcha, I gain ~100lbs in a year. So, now I am back to being a "way too healthy eater" and have lost ~40lbs. I still have many to go and am here to get a better track on...tracking my calorie intake.

I found the same problem. People would look at my real food with horror and ask what it was. They don't even recognize real food. If it doesn’t come out of a macdonald’s bag, they don’t know to eat it. I started eating fast food for a bit too just to shut them up and I also gained a good bit of weight and was never satisfied.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yep, I ate out the other day with a couple friends. I order something I like, but is healthy at the same time. One of my friends made the comment, "Wow! that looks really healthy." She had ordered a burger and fries. She looked at me weird when I finished it all too. I'm just like yea....not sure how to respond here.

Ugh I hate that. I've gotten back into habit of packing a healthy meal for work, and everyone always stares at me like I'm trying to make them look bad or something. Then, without fail, they bring in something unhealthy to share the next day.

People feel uncomfortable by those trying to better themselves. It makes you see your friends for who they are.

That's unlucky. Every time I used to bring in healthy things into school my friends just said they wish they had the willpower to be as healthy as me.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone else chooses to eat. They have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Do I think it's sad and probably think they should choose more wisely, yes but again I don't have to deal with the consequences.

I was very mindful of what I ate on vacation (Punta Cana) and choose healthy foods like fresh fruit, yogurt etc. I didn't deny the good stuff just ate less of that and more healthy choices. I came home 2 lbs lighter. :)
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    I wonder if perhaps the trainer has lost focus, gained weight...or perhaps gotten "fed up" with people who've signed a contract then suddenly decide "This is too hard" and never come in sight of that trainer (or the front door of the gym) again. Nevertheless, to be so judgmental HERE in particular is not supportive and not what those of us who are learning a better way to live need to hear. When I see morbidly obese people--as I was--I want to cry sometimes. But I refuse to judge them. I'm not living in their skin, I don't know what their issues are. Most of my life, I ate to hide from memories of physical abuse. I don't have that issue now, but it took years to work through it. I haven't defeated overweight yet, but I haven't given up and I don't think ANYONE has any right to judge another based on weight, based on how they do--or don't--eat or exercise. The "Daughter of my heart"--not my biological child, but the mother of my only grandchild--was once anorexic. But I've never personally known a woman with a more giving, supportive spirit. Judgment has no place here.

It makes me happy to hear your story has a happy ending! Congrats to you on your success with your weight, and also on working through the issues that contributed to it! You are an inspiration :)
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post in this thread, but I did want to address the point a number of people made that "if it's not you or your spouse or your kids it's none of your business and has nothing to do with you and you should butt out."

Well, you're wrong. It has to do with me because obesity is a public health problem that costs American tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars a year in the form of medicare, medicaid and emergency room payments for obesity related health problems. So yes, your obesity is my problem and my business because it is costing me money.

Before anyone decides to crucify me or call me judgmental, I think the same thing about smoking so I'm not just being prejudiced to obese people.

^^THIS! coming from the pharmacy and medical backround for over ten years, I agree. and i dont think the OP mean to be offensive, they were simply stating that ALOT of people were shovelling food beyond reason. And cruises are not expensive 9had to eat more!)....please. my husband and i took one for 5 days that was 500 bucks for the both of us, anywho, it is sad that a 12 yearold weighs as much as a 40 year old man. That leads to healthproblems, being bullied, depression, anti-social etc. that poor kid learned the bad habbits from HIS PARENTS, this is a huge problem in America period. bigger plane seats, bathrooms- ADA entry ways- absolutly rediculous.

but everyone should understand that people like that will defend thier food just like a drug addict. So....with that said, you shouldnt be so quick to snap back and judge someone on thier opinion of what they observed- ALOT of us here were obese, put in the blood sweat and tears and are simply pointing out what others choose to turn a BLIND eye too- or remain in denile.

This feed could possibly save a life and give that extra push that some one who really needed it.
  • JEZ112
    JEZ112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OY! I agree with you. I don't think vacations are an excuse to let your diet completely slip into oblivion. It's a place to relax, enjoy nice food, but don't go "overboard".

I think most health-conscious people would just enjoy the fact that on a cruise the food is prepared for them and they don't have to make the effort. I wouldn't see it as a free-for-all. Yeah, I'd indulge in a treat here or there, but wouldn't go hog-wild.

It's all in the mind-set. Life-style vs. diet.
    but did you get back on the right track because someone like him told you to?

^^This^^

As a formerly morbidly obese person, I find that making excuses to over-indulge is what got me into my original predicament to begin with. My health doesn't care if I'm on a cruise. I'm in this to be healthy, not diet. I want to lead by example, not show my children that it's okay to over eat for a week because the trip was expensive. I want to show them how you can still eat healthy while being away from home and being faced with tempting circumstances.

For me, If I was faced with the same circumstances I would be concerned and saddened. Concerned for the health of the people convincing themselves that it's okay to eat that way and saddened because they don't realize how much better life is when you pass on the extra helping and go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

This. And I did not get from the OP that he was being judgmental or trying to start a thread just to smack talk. I have lost weight and gained it back more than once. I am now on my 3rd weight loss attempt in 6 years. What made me gain it back each time is allowing the excuses to come back up. Once I hit my goal, i stop monitoring everything that goes in my body, and allow myself more indulgences than I did when I was dieting. Now that I am here, again, I fully understand the difference between diet and changing your life. Thats what I think this post speaks to. Yes you have to indulge some in your life, in moderation. And yes, if you are on vacation you can let yourself indulge a little more than you normally would if you were just at home. But that is not an excuse for a free for all. It is sad that so many people in this country are obese, and honestly I tihnk its sad that we aren't allowed to talk openly about it without being attacked for being bullies. If a smoker that had lung damage said, oh im on vacation I am going to smoke as much as I want, then back to no smoking next week, would that be ok? Would people be defending that person? I doubt it.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

Don’t you think that we know that? I am “OBVIOUSLY” one of those “obese” (formerly morbidly obese) “and very overweight” people that enjoyed my dinner on my 2 week cruise in June. I was careful what I ate for breakfast and most of my lunches (some were on shore excursions that included local meals) but I fully enjoyed my dinners and ate what I thought was the most interesting (a lot of fish and seafood, however with rich sauces) as well as deserts.

Personally, I’m only concerned about my own weight and health problems as well as those of my wife, not that of others, because I don’t know their mindset or circumstances.

By the way, I gained one pound on my cruise.

I visited Germany many years ago... while I was there, I had to try every food. EVERY food (this was before I went veg)... I'm talking sausages, cheese, breads, beer... whatever was authentic for the region. I still came home 5 lbs lighter. In the place I visited people simply walked everywhere, they ate whatever they wanted, and yes some were portly but most people I met were average weight. I left there with a very different view of dieting :)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I find it simply amazing in society that apparently fat-ness is the one last beacon that we feel that we are able to judge people on. Although it used to be race or sex, since this is simply inappropriate many people maintain it is okay to judge people based on their size.

Nah, I judge people on their smoking instead :smile:

Cigaretts stink!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is more about how they live in their day to day lives. I'm one of those who like to indulge on vacation. I'll try foods I usually wouldn't eat and eat more dessert than usual. Inevitably I'll gain ~5lbs but it's probably mostly water and I always lose it within a week or two.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    If I go on a cruise I'm going to eat whatever the heck I want while I'm there.
    I did. I just didn't eat plate loads.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, on a cruise is the food included in the price? If so could see peoples motivation wanting to get maximum value out ticket price.
    Yes the food is already included in the price.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a fitness professional who found himself in a position to need to lose weight is so judgmental of others. You don't know any of those people, or any of their situations.

And if I'm not married to (or partnered with) them or parenting them, it's none of my damned business what anyone else is eating.

agreed
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My thought is: Why do you want to ruin all the hard work you did to lose that weight in the first place?
This discussion has been closed.