serious problem

Options

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    It's easy to give advice but this is a hard situation you are in. It's really hard to tell your children that you can't afford to buy food. This is something a parent never wants to say. I have children so I know. I would do as other suggest and go to local food banks. They really do offer a TON of healthy foods and maybe that can help ease the food bill. Maybe your area has a community garden that you can get fresh veggies from? My neighbor has two teenage boys and she goes to the food bank and community garden and always brings a ton of stuff to my house because they give her so much. Try and see what's in your area. Good luck. I will send prayers your way for a solution to your problem :flowerforyou:

Your post was very nice:)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Stop buying snacks and treats. They eat what's there or they don't eat. At least, that's what I did with my kids when they were growing up. If their really that hungry, they'll eat the good food you make them.

This. When my son was growing up he had to eat what was made for him or he didnt eat. If I bought treats and he ate them up, then no treats for awhile. He learned balance.

^this! if they wont eat healthy, they dont get treats. No one NEEDS doritos or cereal.
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm slightly confused. You said you spend $75 on groceries per week but this is actually more than $250 worth of food with the cost brought down with coupons and savings cards. That should be alot of food (alot more than it sounds like you are getting). But that wasn't the point of your post...

I sort of had a similar situation with my own daughter and husband. I'd go grocery shopping and as soon as I got home they would be rifling through the bags and eating up all the "easy" foods. Not necessarily junk but "easy". I would tell them that when it's gone it's gone. I didn't run to the store in the middle of the week to restock. Eventually they got the point.

Bottom line is kids like easy (and sometimes husbands too). They will always opt for the easier, grab and go foods. Make it harder for them. Simply don't buy it. They want popcorn? Buy the kind they have to pop.

Your kids are old enough to cook. Have them help in the kitchen. If they are out of cereal and want breakfast have them make some eggs and toast. Trust me, kids will eat if they are hungry enough. If all the appealing easy food is gone they'll move on to something else.

Your issue also sounds like a discipline problem. Sounds like your kids feel that they are entitled to have whatever they want whenever they want. That's an issue that needs the be addressed outside of the kitchen.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    "Stop buying snacks" is a simple, easy solution. It's not always practical though. But you can change the sorts of snacks you buy. Instead of bags of popcorn buy kernels in bulk and air pop them. instead of ice cream and popsicles blend up fruit and water then freeze it in paper cups and make your own popsicles. If you add a bit of corn syrup (I forget the exact recipe but you could Google it) you can turn it into sorbet. Sometimes kids will turn up their noses at eating an apple but you can turn it into something they'd readily eat and have them thinking they are getting a bit of junk food when they are really getting something healthy.

I didn't read the middle pages so I'm not sure how old your kids are but you can also have them start to earn their junk food or buy it themselves. You shouldn't have to buy a lock. If you can only spend $75/week for food for your family a lock isn't even in your budget. Make them earn the junk though. Even if they are little they can get little "coupons" you can make yourself or a star on a chart or something for things like loading the dishwasher, sweeping, cleaning the bathroom, etc. Portion out the junk from there.

It also sounds like you aren't much of a stickler for the rules. You say "Don't eat this.", they eat it anyhow, and instead of any real consequences you just buy more the next time you go shopping. If you figure something of junk food should last a month and they eat it all in 1 day then don't buy more for the rest of the month AND make them have to do something like chores or something or take away something like TV/computer time as a deterrent. If it's a staple like milk, cereal, etc that you do need to replace even if you hadn't planned to them make them earn some money through chores to pay for it or tell them no TV/computer for X amount of hours so they can earn back the cost of the milk by not using the electricity. Make it so that eating everything just isn't worth the price they will have to pay for doing so and they will stop. Telling them not to then doing nothing when they disobey you isn't going to change anything.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I grew up with serious food rules. My parents bought what they needed for meals and that is it. We didn't have a lot of money. When we had snacks, my brother and I would eat them as fast as we could. Then we would get in trouble. My parents were not being mean, they were scared.

But, as soon as I could feed myself. I did. I got a job and ate everything I could. Not good. All rewards revolved around food. Going out to dinner or getting take out to me was a sign of really "making it".

I understand what you are saying about the food though. I have an 11 yo son who will not stop. 2 bunches of bananas in 2 days, case of yogurt, gone, 1/2 pie gone (this was my findings last night, we shopped Sunday). My husband was mad, but you know what? They are growing, they need to eat.

The idea of a locking cabinet sounds crazy to me. And a massive set up for future food issues.

There are plenty of volume foods you can make for a lower cost. Kale chips, roasted chickpeas, cookies, PB&J.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I really don't know where else to go to get ideas or vent. I am on my cell phone so yeah, I'll be txt typing.

I have a VERY limited budget for food. As in @$75 per week for 5 people and 3 of those are growing boys.
    I buy healthy lasting items (freezer bulk things) and try to get a few things like a bag or 2 of chips or popcorn for a snack to last a few days.

Today I went to the store and spent $35 on enough food for 4 days. I got 2 gallons of milk and cereal for them for the next 2 mornings. They have been told over and over and over DRINK WATER or koolaid.

Tonight I go in the kitchen to get my 8 oz milk with my protein mix....ALL the cereal is gone. There is no milk left. The chips are gone. I am almost completely out of food again! This happens every time I go to the store!
    There is hamburger chicken potatoes green beans corn carrots and water left until Saturday.

When I make food they wont eat it. Then cry they are hungry. I am not a short order cook. This is not a restaurant. If I cook breakfast lunch dinner from now til Saturday the food wont last.

I thought of getting a locking cabinet but I shouldn't have to lock up food.
    They are pigs. They are inconsiderate and thoughtless. This has gone on for MONTHS!
    I have grounded, taken things, stopped buying treats, and yes I've busted their *kitten*. I don't care that they eat SOME but they eat ALL. Example ..I'll buy the 25 pk of popcorn for 2 weeks. Every last one is GONE within 2 DAYS. I've tried hiding food. Locking my bedroom door. Doesn't work. They ask to get something like batteries and go in, next thing ya know popcorn has 1 by 1 disappeared.
    They aren't starving. They are healthy and active.
    what would you do? I'm so tired of running out of food because they think they have to eat it all the day I buy it.

They aren't pigs, inconsiderate or thoughtless they are growing boys. They need a lot of food. Do you really need milk and a protein shake? You can get just as much protein from chicken.

Why don't you make them cook once in a while? It sounds like they are old enough to. And stop buying chips and popcorn. When I was a teenager, I had a job, I bought my own snack food.

Seriously. Even cheap protein mix is easily $25 for 5 lbs. That's 1/3 of your total spending right there.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/304943-how-many-calories-should-an-average-teenager-eat-per-day/

Caloric needs for moderately active males between ages of 11-13 1800-2600
    Males between the ages of 14-18 2200-3200

If they are eating mini bags, drinkable yogurts, ect . those average what 100-120 calories a piece? The would need a ton!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    At their ages they are absolutely old enough to understand the need for a budget and what happens when the money is gone.

Plan a menu (including snacks). Post it. Make sure you are allowing each boy plenty of food, but also have strict consequences if the budget is violated. My folks used to sell my things if I did something stupid and wasted money.
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    I have no teenage boys in my house but my husband is like a bottomless pit. He eats a whole meal and then 20 minutes later he's looking for more. He's a thin guy who works in the restaurant business and doesn't eat for 10-12 hours at a time. And before anybody jumps on a tangent about that, I do my best, he's 40, he's going to do whatever he wants. I choose my battles even though we both know this is not a healthy eating pattern.

This is relevant because he is ALWAYS eating "my" food. Protein bars, low fat ice cream (after his is gone), Crystal Light (when his beverage of choice is not available), etc. There is a recurring theme here... he eats what is EASY. So guess what? I stopped buying that stuff. Yes, that means I have to go without what I want. Yes, it sucks, but it also means my grocery bill is smaller. If there is something I really want to have, honestly, I hide it in my car. Makes me feel like a food hoarder but you have to do what you have to do! Also, I keep my must-haves at the office. I can make due for the two days a week I don't have access.

I have no business telling you how to raise your family, nor will I say that your kids have behavioral or emotional problems, but I will say that if people knew the degree of sacrifice that is required in order to have and support their children, the very truth of it, there would be less kids in the world. No swearing, using the bathroom in peace, or eating your own chips for 20 years? Seriously, prison has more freedom.

Best of luck to you.
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I buy 2 dozen eggs at a time. Each kid get 4 eggs when I cook them.
    If I don't make homemade noodles I'll buy whole wheat spaghetti and make double (2#) ..enough for 10-12 ppl.

what if u stop buying the junk and the whole wheat spaghettis and just buy regular pasta maybe they will eat ur meals then!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I bargain shop. I can get ENOUGH to last for the week. Its not that I'm strapped for cash. Its that they eat it all within 2 days. It wouldn't matter if I bought double, hit food banks, cleaned out a grocery store. If its in my house they EAT IT ALL!

I get meat on sale. Bread I make homemade. I buy freezer items in bulk. I use coupons. Last week my total was $260. After the coupons, buy 1 get 1, sales and MVP discount card my total was $81. I really know how to bargain shop...newspapers are my friends.

My sister in law has a family of three (her, her husband and nine year old daughter) as well, she runs an in-home family day care and has six toddlers. Given, they don't eat nearly as much as growing children, but WITH COUPONS as well, and buying in bulk, she still spends $200 a week. Her deals are not as good as yours it looks like, but the pre-coupon amount is probably the same. Are your children overweight or obese?
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First ..thanks to those who actually read my replies. To those that didn't I will say it for the last time. I DO NOT BY JUNK FOOD LIKE CANDY OR CAKES! I BUY SNACKS LIKE HEALTHY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES BUT THEY DONT EAT A SERVING OR 2 THEY EAT ALL. OF IT AT ONCE!!! STOP TELLING ME TO STOP BUYING WHAT I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU I DONT BUY!

my husband is 5'7.at 115 pounds. I am small framed a bit over 5 feet and right on the line of overweight obese. All of my kids are small BUT is expected because of our size. My 14 yr old is 85 pounds and about 5 feet. 13 is 5'1" at 84 pounds and my 11 yr old is maybe 70 pounds at 4'6". My husband's brother is 42 and 4'9" and weighs 99 pounds. My mom is only 4'10" ..So yeah..they will be small. Their pediatrician expects them to average out between 5'3" and 5'8" and their weight is right on target.

They are very healthy. (Asthma but I don't stop him, ever) they play school sports, rec sports, my oldest is near genius level.

I get manufacturer coupons for items. And no my food budget does not include household items.

PLEASE DONT REPLY UNLESS YOU'VE READ MY OTHER REPLIES. I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF. I DO THAT ENOUGH AT HOME.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I really don't know where else to go to get ideas or vent. I am on my cell phone so yeah, I'll be txt typing.

I have a VERY limited budget for food. As in @$75 per week for 5 people and 3 of those are growing boys.
    I buy healthy lasting items (freezer bulk things) and try to get a few things like a bag or 2 of chips or popcorn for a snack to last a few days.

Today I went to the store and spent $35 on enough food for 4 days. I got 2 gallons of milk and cereal for them for the next 2 mornings. They have been told over and over and over DRINK WATER or koolaid.

Tonight I go in the kitchen to get my 8 oz milk with my protein mix....ALL the cereal is gone. There is no milk left. The chips are gone. I am almost completely out of food again! This happens every time I go to the store!
    There is hamburger chicken potatoes green beans corn carrots and water left until Saturday.

When I make food they wont eat it. Then cry they are hungry. I am not a short order cook. This is not a restaurant. If I cook breakfast lunch dinner from now til Saturday the food wont last.

They are pigs. They are inconsiderate and thoughtless. This has gone on for MONTHS!
    I have grounded, taken things, stopped buying treats, and yes I've busted their *kitten*. I don't care that they eat SOME but they eat ALL. Example ..I'll buy the 25 pk of popcorn for 2 weeks. Every last one is GONE within 2 DAYS. I've tried hiding food. Locking my bedroom door. Doesn't work. They ask to get something like batteries and go in, next thing ya know popcorn has 1 by 1 disappeared.
    what would you do? I'm so tired of running out of food because they think they have to eat it all the day I buy it.

They aren't pigs, inconsiderate or thoughtless they are growing boys. They need a lot of food. Do you really need milk and a protein shake? You can get just as much protein from chicken.

Why don't you make them cook once in a while? It sounds like they are old enough to. And stop buying chips and popcorn. When I was a teenager, I had a job, I bought my own snack food.

Seriously. Even cheap protein mix is easily $25 for 5 lbs. That's 1/3 of your total spending right there.

Protein mix is 7.99 here for 12.5 ounces (eas vanilla) and I had a coupon for $2.50 off that printed from the register that I got from the last time I bought it. It was on sale with my value card too so that was another. 75 off. So I paid $4.74 for it.
    And yes I do need it. I don't always get enuf protein and really my dietary needs aren't your business.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    First ..thanks to those who actually read my replies. To those that didn't I will say it for the last time. I DO NOT BY JUNK FOOD LIKE CANDY OR CAKES! I BUY SNACKS LIKE HEALTHY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES BUT THEY DONT EAT A SERVING OR 2 THEY EAT ALL. OF IT AT ONCE!!! STOP TELLING ME TO STOP BUYING WHAT I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU I DONT BUY!

my husband is 5'7.at 115 pounds. I am small framed a bit over 5 feet and right on the line of overweight obese. All of my kids are small BUT is expected because of our size. My 14 yr old is 85 pounds and about 5 feet. 13 is 5'1" at 84 pounds and my 11 yr old is maybe 70 pounds at 4'6". My husband's brother is 42 and 4'9" and weighs 99 pounds. My mom is only 4'10" ..So yeah..they will be small. Their pediatrician expects them to average out between 5'3" and 5'8" and their weight is right on target.

They are very healthy. (Asthma but I don't stop him, ever) they play school sports, rec sports, my oldest is near genius level.

I get manufacturer coupons for items. And no my food budget does not include household items.

PLEASE DONT REPLY UNLESS YOU'VE READ MY OTHER REPLIES. I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF. I DO THAT ENOUGH AT HOME.

Okay. I asked whether you considered the fact that they're just hungry and another poster pointed out that they need upwards of 2,000 calories per day. They should be getting FIVE servings of fruits and veggies a day, not one or two. Maybe you should read some nutrition labels and see how much they're eating and actually figure out their caloric intakes instead of calling them names and being rude to everyone here.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Protein mix is 7.99 here for 12.5 ounces (eas vanilla) and I had a coupon for $2.50 off that printed from the register that I got from the last time I bought it. It was on sale with my value card too so that was another. 75 off. So I paid $4.74 for it.
    And yes I do need it. I don't always get enuf protein and really my dietary needs aren't your business.

Oh, are we being rude? Okay then. You shouldn't have kids you can't afford to feed.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Okay, so you don't know how to get protein from real food fine. Apparently your children are just a bother for you. Why did you post on here? To complain about growing children because they are getting in the way of the diet you have set for yourself?

Let's be honest. You post that they eat all the popcorn and chips. Then you post that you don't buy snacks.

You weren't looking for advice, you were just looking to complain. You really should have thought about this issue before having children.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Okay, so you don't know how to get protein from real food fine. Apparently your children are just a bother for you. Why did you post on here? To complain about growing children because they are getting in the way of the diet you have set for yourself?

Let's be honest. You post that they eat all the popcorn and chips. Then you post that you don't buy snacks.

You weren't looking for advice, you were just looking to complain. You really should have thought about this issue before having children.

+1

What kind of mother calls her kids inconsiderate pigs? I don't even want kids but I'll be damned if I would say anything like that about my much-younger siblings. OP's kids are probably emotional eaters because their mother is in constant *****-mode and locks up all the food.
  • amandaxh
    amandaxh Posts: 38 Member
    Options

When you come on a forum and ask for advice for a problem, you will get advice. Lots of it. Some you might not agree with, others you might find helpful. Regardless, if you look at the pattern of this thread, there seems to be a lot of practical and rational opinions out there that you could consider.

If you have an excuse for every single question or comment someone makes, then clearly you really don't want the advice or help, you just want to vent and not seek a solution. A forum is not the place to do this if you are not open to others' perceptions of what you're venting about.

What exactly do you wish to hear that you're not hearing? If you're looking for someone to validate that your kids are pigs I am sure you won't find that here. I understand frustration in the heat of the moment, and that is fine. But what you write in the heat of the moment is what you are going to get a response too. Step back and be objective: look at the big picture through logical lenses and not your ego. Something needs to change and you won't accept or consider peoples' suggestions because you're too concerned about people accusing you of buying cake for your family. Who cares? That has nothing to do with it. Discard what you don't agree with and be thoughtful about what you do. If you're serious about this, as you indicated this as a "serious problem," then you would be open minded and receptive to constructive criticism of what you're doing wrong, because clearly something needs to change within the family dynamics of your household, and considering you're the parent, that is your own responsibility.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I buy 2 dozen eggs at a time. Each kid get 4 eggs when I cook them.
    If I don't make homemade noodles I'll buy whole wheat spaghetti and make double (2#) ..enough for 10-12 ppl. They don't finish that.
    But they'll go back 30 minutes later and eat 8 mini bags of Doritos, each.

I just don't get it. Even when the junk food is gone, they wont eat. All I hear is "I'm hungry! I'm starving!" But there is GOOD food there!

I am seriously thinking I'm getting a locking cabinet.

I bought yogurt for myself to increase my calcium because milk upsets my stomach. Got 40 of them last Monday (of last week) by Tues at noon I went in for my snack, not a single one was left.
    Its getting bad. One or 2 I don't care. But 3 kids, 40 yogurts in under 24 hours?

It sounds like more they just don't like what you cook and want the junk.
    So I suggest you don't buy junk and if they really are hungry they will eat what is there.
    If you want junk for you and your spouse you will have to lock it up in your room or something.
    But don't buy the junk or they won't change. Just my thoughts.
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    dont buy the dorritos. buy more filling nutritional snacks and they will have to eat what is there. i buy my food for lunch for the week and keep it at work. its easy for me but could be a quick solve for you.
This discussion has been closed.