• Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    "This is my uncle... Wait, no, my step-dad... wait, no, my uncle..."
    My thoughts
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I haven't read too many of the responses, but here's my take...well, it's more of a story of something similar happening.

I know of someone whose husband dated one of her sisters, married and divorced another one, and then he married and divorced her best friend. He ended up being a friend of her first husband (who passed away from cancer) and he helped her through the toughest time of her life. She is at odds with the sister that divorced her current husband, and the best friend is a former best friend, and had been prior to her dating her current husband. The husband has 2 children by her sister, so she is their aunt, and now their stepmom.

If you can follow along with that story, you can see how crazy it sounds. It's not perfect, but it's working for them. And, it made for a great story at their wedding...you can imagine the laughs. I always joke with the lady's son because his cousins are now his step-siblings....he still refers to them as his cousins, though. :)

There's always a potential of drama in any relationship....one like this has a lot of potential, but I'd say it all depends on the relationship you have with your brother and his kids. Good luck to you in your decision!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Dear Redneck,

I am a depraved individual & even I think this is a stupid idea.

Dear Depraved Individual,

I am a redneck & even I think this is a stupid idea.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    IMO: You are a good looking guy, find someone else and avoid any possibility of drama. Safer that way.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    IMO, life is too short!! If you can find some happiness in something or someone~ GO FOR IT! :smile:

I agree with this.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many people are focused mainly on the fact that your relationship to the child wouldn't fit a certain label.
    Same here...especially since the OP noted that his brother hasn't seen the kid in years and doesn't pay child support. I'm guessing he could use a father figure at this point, and so what if its technically his uncle? Its not like they broke up last week and the brother is devasated over losing his wife...doesn't seem like that big of a deal in today's society (there are much worse situations out there).
    I'm still not sure it's the best idea - it could work, but I'm thinking of ways it could be difficult for the kid. Still, the issue of "omg you'd be an uncle and a step-father is so WEIRD" is not really a concern for me.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Dear Redneck,

Dear Redneck and depraved individual:

I'm a city slicker and even I think this is a stupid idea.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    All this talk about babies and cousins and siblings.. If you decide to marry her just adopt him and then they will all be siblings :) The poor boy needs a father.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    what's the relationship between you and brother?
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    Do Not date your Brothers ex-wife, I dont care how much yall hit it off, this will only cause problems. YOU WILL GET BOOED ON JERRY SPRINGER AND YALL WILL END UP FIGHTING ON NATIONAL T.V.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about the kid......if you guys get married he's going to be like "this is my step-father and my uncle" and if you guys had another kid together that kid would be both 1/2 siblings with your nephew/step-son and cousins. That is one crazy family tree.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    CAN YOU BANG HER HELL YES CAN YOU DATE HER HELL NO
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    You and your brother share blood, it wont ever change.

You and chick share a connection. That can change.

I wouldnt do it.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Dear Redneck,

Dear Redneck and depraved individual:

I'm a city slicker and even I think this is a stupid idea.

all of you should walk into a bar and see what joke comes out...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Would you want him to date your ex?

Read the Man handbook .
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Negatory!

Dude.... Your brother put his junk in that. No. Just no

DITTO!!!! ^^^^^^
  • terpsoccer
    terpsoccer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yeah if you are insane and don't want your brother anymore. let it go man
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I think you have to take into account why they divorced. If they just grew apart and it was amicable, then there shouldn't be too much harm. If it was nasty because of a he said/she said thing, stay out of it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about the kid......if you guys get married he's going to be like "this is my step-father and my uncle" and if you guys had another kid together that kid would be both 1/2 siblings with your nephew/step-son and cousins. That is one crazy family tree.
    Really, you don't think the kid would just introduce him as his step-father and half-siblings? What is this obsession with labels?