can you date your brothers ex wife

Options

Replies

• PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I get the impression that your brother and his ex and his son don't see each other, nor does he pay child support. That makes him a sperm donor, not a father.I also get the impression that you don't see your brother often and don't seem to have a brotherly relationship. He cheated on the girl, so obviously he had no respect for her or their relationship. If you decide to go forward with this girl, I'd say, at least just tell your brother that this is what you intend to do. I don't think you need to ask his permission.

Then, I'd talk to your parents about it and ask for their opinion and feelings about it.. It doesn't seem that your parents see her or their grandson often either. I didn't get the impression from the info that you gave that your parents have any problem with her. I don't think the rest of the family should have any say in the matter. And if your parents are aware that their son treated her badly and doesn't bother with his son, I'd think they probably would be ok with it.

Then, my next question would be: How old is your nephew? How does he feel about his father? Do you and he get along?
    If he's old enough to understand, I would say that you and her should talk to him and ask him how he would feel if the two of you started spending more time together and eventually started dating or even some day ended up getting married if things go well.
    It's possible that he doesn't even consider your brother to be his father and doesn't even really know him. If your nephew is bothered by it in any way, I'd say to stop right there.

And, if it were to get to the point where you'd consider getting married, in my opinion you'd still remain "uncle" as that is the blood relationship. Kids see so much and know so much today. There are tons of "non-traditional" families out there. I don't think it really matters whether he'd call you uncle or Dad. I'd leave that up to him. I really don't think that many kids today would be phased by the fact that their friends step-dad is his uncle or his uncle is his step-dad. And, if your nephew has no problem with it, he probably wouldn't have a problem telling his friends that his father was never around and his mom ended up marrying his uncle.

It seems that this family hasn't been close to the ex and your brothers son and it's not like she did something horrible to him and he divorced her for indiscretion. I'd say, once you see how your parents would feel, and then talk to your nephew, if all those parties are ok with it....go right ahead and I wish you luck.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    this is a great thread..I wasn't expecting such a gem , especially in the same week as someone starting the " how do you do a number 2 in a public bathroom".

Mfp forums leave sane people simply speechless.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I sent you a nice message, I'd still say no lol
  • jrlja5
    jrlja5 Posts: 59
    Options
    whaaaaat?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Your brother is a douche and your family thinks it's cool. I don't see a problem here...just take it slow and don't try to force the relationship. If it happens, it happens...if not, then at least you can provide your nephew with a positive male role model.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Well, it works on Justified, so...
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This is a definite no fly zone IMO.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    FCCK NO !! you can bang her once though, but both of you have to be shtt faced drunk and barely remember it, than maybe, just maybe it can be forgiveable
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No. No no no no no. It's just gross to go where your brother has already been, man. Socially, it's just waaaaaay too taboo, and if it goes wrong you're just screwing over the ties between the rest of your family and your nephew even more. Don't make the kid's life any more complicated than it already is; his dad is already a deadbeat; he doesn't need his mother shtupping his deadbeat dad's brother, and then potentially having fallout from that if it doesn't work out.

To me, this is similar to situations like getting involved with a first cousin, or long lost siblings having a romantic relationship (because both of these things have been known to happen). I mean, look at those two examples with these circumstances: first cousins having kids doesn't carry much of an increased risk of genetic defects, and what if the two long lost siblings are permanently sterilized and unable to reproduce? Does it make either situation okay? I don't think so. It makes things really awkward between the participating parties' extended family, not to mention the incredible stigma from the general public.

Your feelings for your ex-SIL will pass, in time, especially if you get her off your mind by meeting some new women who aren't/weren't related to you by blood or marriage.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Normally, I would absolutely no-freaking-way but your brother sounds like like a horrible person. He doesn't see his child and doesn't pay child support, what a winner. I think these non-actions void his opinion. Tread with caution though, you could end up on Jerry Springer.

I agree with this one and that kid needs a father figure! If you hit it off, go for it. Your brother is a complete *kitten* for dumping his child!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Everything happens for a reason. Looking to sleep together... not a good reason! Finding a loving, committed relationship with friendship and stability... there's a good reason. Try to figure out which motives you have for considering checking out a relationship with you ex sister in law and then you will know if you should be heading into relationship potential together. Another words~ only for the right reasons like; if it's truly meant to be. Stability will be good for your nephew but a rocky relationship between his uncle and mom wouldn't be. Figure this part out first. My best advice without knowing any of you.

Yes!
  • hockeymama1963
    hockeymama1963 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! She sounds great and this time on earth is so short to be miserable
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many people are focused mainly on the fact that your relationship to the child wouldn't fit a certain label.
    This!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that just isn't appropriate, and besides the fact that she was your brother's wife and all, they also have a child together. For the child that would be so hard to explain that his uncle is now dating his mom. It's a very complex thing for anyone to understand. So if she is not going to be the love of your life, then you should just let it go.
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Uncle Step Daddy? Maybe not.
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is no way this story can have a good ending. The poor son/nephew will suffer the most!! My advise is to scrub this woman from your mind and move on. Find someone who hasn't given birth to one of your relatives.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "This is my uncle... Wait, no, my step-dad... wait, no, my uncle..."

EXACTLY! The focus needs to be on the kid! he's the one that has to deal with the consequences of your and his mother's choice... forget about everything else. Could you imagine yourself in his shoes?
  • LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Two words - 'Uncle Daddy'

HAHAHA! exactly!!!! :laugh:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    she hot? i'd probably do it.
  • chrisrivers3517
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same situation right now. I'm seeing my brothers ex. I wanna tell him but I cant rte. now.
    Yea, she is awesome. Feel bad for what he lost. Its been 20 years or more now. All of my friend know whats going on.
    Maybe even some of his. We are both in the same state of mind. Its been 20 years. We had no children. Never the less, I have always liked her. even when they were togeather, But nothing ever happened. You just know. I lost her when he lost her until recently when I ran into her. Now you know were we sit. Same as you. I'm going for it though. Best of luck to you...