serious problem

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't want them to munch their way through every expensive, empty caloric food you have in the house? Don't buy them. We keep a pound of cut up carrots, cheese sticks, and apples in the fridge at all times. Once or twice they've eaten an entire pound of carrots, but carrots are .50/lb.

Having trouble getting them to eat what you cook? Stop giving them an out. Children adapt. There's no "kid food" in my house, and my kids eat things some adults won't touch (spicy foods, sushi, curry, leafy veggies.)

Having said that, I'm incredibly disturbed that you've grounded and beaten your children for eating. Way to ruin their relationship with food. Children need tons of calories and are disorganized eaters. YOU teach them how to eat. If you don't want them to eat over priced snacks, don't buy them. Providing the right foods is your job. When I was eight I was left alone with half a watermelon for eight hours. I knew it wasn't kind to eat all the watermelon, but I was hungry and it was available. I was shamed for it (not grounded or beaten). I never forgot, and it was one of the major events that formed the basis for my opinion that I was a fat glutton.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    When did I say I buy name brands? And so what if my budget is $75? I can get 250-300 dollars of food for $75 dollars.
    As for the one saying they need 5 servings of this n that and only getting 2... I said. They eat it ALL AT ONCE.

Let me type slower maybe you can understand.
    I get PLENTY of food to meet and exceed the daily requirements of kids and adults.

If I buy 25 bananas, ONE KID will eat 20 of them in a day, leaving not enough for the rest of the family. If I buy apples, 10 pounds, another kid will eat the whole bag, again, leaving none for.anyone else.

We can afford our kids. They were EACH planned. Well in advance.

Ideas on how to stop that shovel eating behavior is one thing. Attacking me about how I care about my kids is uncalled for.

AND THE JUNK FOOD IS CHIPS ON HAMBURGER NITE (SATURDAYS) AND POPCORN ON MOVIE NITE (ONCE A WEEK) NO I WONT STOP BUYING THOSE. I DONT BUY POP OR GARBAGE.

Calling your children pigs is uncalled for. If you don't want to be judged, don't judge your children on a public forum. You can stop the shovel behavior--as other people have said--buy not buying snack foods. If you only eat the popcorn once a week, only buy enough for that one night. If you only eat chips once a week, only buy it on that one day. 1 child is not eating a 10 pound bag of apples in one day. That is ridiculous.
    I have used coupons in the past. I was a coupon/rebate queen. They do not make coupons for no name brands. I promise you. Yes they go on sale, the store brands do. But there are never any Kroger brand coupons in the sunday paper. They dont usually put out refunds on store brands either but it does happen. One thing you can get with coupons name brand is the yogurt.

When making up the menu why not have the kids help you and try to cook things they will eat. For example: my youngest will not eat tomatos any kind. So when I make speg. I let her have the pasta, she puts butter and parmasean on it. But I the rest of the family enjoys exactly what I cook. They eat what they serve themselves. If they dont their step father wraps it puts in the fridge and when they get hungry again an hour or so. He tells them where their dinner is. If they dont even serve themselves because they just dont like what I made. Their only other choice is bpj. Ive never been big on sugar and sweets. The girls learned from grandma how to make their own candy. Before that, I allowed them to have ice cream on sat. mornings. My mother in law complained about the amount of sugar they got on Sat. am. So I told them they could have a home made cookie with it. I figure that is no worse than the surgar cereals with milk. She got pissed. In the end. those are some of the best memoriess they have Sat. morning. When I bought fruit I would tell them as we put the food away how many say apples each of us gets. They stuck to it. They traded each other fruit for fruit.

I would never ever call my children the names you do yours, not to their face or behind their back. I have this little thing called RESPECT for them. I have never had them call me names either. It would be a pitty for your children to leave home and not come back because you call them names etc. and dont work with them on issues like this. In stead you come on here not for advice but to vent. But that is you. I am differant a whole differant kind of parent in all ways.

I hope your posting here gives you the answers you are seeking and some how you find a loving way to work this out with your children, maybe invole dad? Definatly involve love and comprimise. Ive made three posts. this is my last. Good luck with you and yours.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I had an older brother and a younger sister. Imagine when we were all teenagers at the same time.

If you were hungry, there was always bread and peanut butter. Chips were a rare treat. The big event was when my Dad made a thin crust homemade pizza on a Saturday night for a snack!

I'd reduce the snack, and start buying milk one at a time. I'd read them the riot act too. There must be some pain point you can use to hold over their heads. Xbox, TV or Internet time, etc.

Good luck. You are already performing a miracle in feeding them for $75 a week. My family of 3 is probably double that.

i dont see it here, but you mentioned Kool Aid. as many have.... who remembers making kool aid popsicles? We also used to make popcycles from milk, sugar and cinnomon. ahhh the good old days.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Im the one whose husband was hit with a spoon by his mom, to get him to eat what she served. Now he eats anything put in front of him. So I know it works.

In my state both the spoon to the mouth and the whipping at thier ages is abuse. Soooo what is abuse now, wasnt abuse 40 yrs ago. and abuse is abuse.... If you leave marks its abuse. doesnt matter where it is. I cannot imagine, what I assume you mean by whipping, spanking my teen aged kids.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Don't want them to munch their way through every expensive, empty caloric food you have in the house? Don't buy them. We keep a pound of cut up carrots, cheese sticks, and apples in the fridge at all times. Once or twice they've eaten an entire pound of carrots, but carrots are .50/lb.

Having trouble getting them to eat what you cook? Stop giving them an out. Children adapt. There's no "kid food" in my house, and my kids eat things some adults won't touch (spicy foods, sushi, curry, leafy veggies.)

Having said that, I'm incredibly disturbed that you've grounded and beaten your children for eating. Way to ruin their relationship with food. Children need tons of calories and are disorganized eaters. YOU teach them how to eat. If you don't want them to eat over priced snacks, don't buy them. Providing the right foods is your job. When I was eight I was left alone with half a watermelon for eight hours. I knew it wasn't kind to eat all the watermelon, but I was hungry and it was available. I was shamed for it (not grounded or beaten). I never forgot, and it was one of the major events that formed the basis for my opinion that I was a fat glutton.

this
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Tajmel ....where in hell do you see ANYWHERE that I BEAT my kids?

A swat on there *kitten* with my hand is called an *kitten* whipping, not a beating.

Go read before you accuse. Matter of fact, try reading all of it because I'm tired of repeating myself about the snacks I buy.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop complaining. Kids get hungry, kids eat. I have the same problem with my housemate, will eat all the junk the second it is in the house. So I keep it in my room, problem solved.

I know it must be frustrating having to repeat yourself all the time but 11 pages is a lot to get through, and I am sure that the majority of the repeat posters didnt bother reading the whole way through. So chill out. You wanted advice, whether it is repeated or not, it is still advice. How about being thankful instead rude and snappy?

Edit: And I did read all of them, and you got increasingly bitter as each page went on.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I buy 2 dozen eggs at a time. Each kid get 4 eggs when I cook them.
    If I don't make homemade noodles I'll buy whole wheat spaghetti and make double (2#) ..enough for 10-12 ppl. They don't finish that.
    But they'll go back 30 minutes later and eat 8 mini bags of Doritos, each.

I just don't get it. Even when the junk food is gone, they wont eat. All I hear is "I'm hungry! I'm starving!" But there is GOOD food there!

I am seriously thinking I'm getting a locking cabinet.

I bought yogurt for myself to increase my calcium because milk upsets my stomach. Got 40 of them last Monday (of last week) by Tues at noon I went in for my snack, not a single one was left.
    Its getting bad. One or 2 I don't care. But 3 kids, 40 yogurts in under 24 hours?

Wow...something weird seems to be going on. 13 yogurts EACH in 24 hours? I take it they are teens? Maybe they are having lots of friends over when you are still at work or something like that?

I think if they are old enough to have any clue at all (I'm pretty sure my 7 year old nephew would understand some) sit them down and explain the situation to them about the money. Ask them what sorts of real food they might eat. Maybe even involve them in the decision making and meal plan...say we have x amount of money etc, story problem time. If the other non kid is a spouse, what is their role in all this, do they support you?
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Recoiljpr...... if they would EAT the food I made and not ALL the snacks and junk and treats in one or two days I wouldn't care.

But now it's like I'm wasting money on good food going in the trash, and snacks n treats for anyone else for the week because they want to Hoover it almost before its in the door.

If they ate b/l/d then had a snack I'd be happy as a clam! But they don't. I can't afford to keep tossing food in the trash off their plates nor buy snacks they will inhale which doesn't last more than a day or 2.

Stop buying snacks.

They will either learn to eat the healthy food you have, or they will go hungry (which they won't). Don't have popcorn or chips around period. My mom did this with my brother, and he eventually started eating the chicken and veggies etc that she cooked.

Cut up carrot and celery as snacks, with ranch dip or PB. If the kids don't have the option of junk, they will eat whatever is available.

You can probably get a really big bag of popcorn kernals and a big thing of some vegetable oil and show them how to make their own in a brown bag Alton brown style or in a pot on the stove then they can have a whole lot of it for cheap if they are hungry for snacky things and its fairly healthy.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Quote from the OP: "and yes I've busted their *kitten*"

I have no idea how hard or often you hit your children. However, if you don't want to convey that you beat your children, you should consider using less violent language. I don't think hitting is an appropriate punishment for eating, but none the less saying "I've tried swatting/spanking them" conveys a very different meaning than "busting their *kitten*" or giving them an "*kitten* whipping".
    Tajmel ....where in hell do you see ANYWHERE that I BEAT my kids?

A swat on there *kitten* with my hand is called an *kitten* whipping, not a beating.

Go read before you accuse. Matter of fact, try reading all of it because I'm tired of repeating myself about the snacks I buy.
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    So here's my completely irrelevant position on this situation..

I can completely understand the OPs frustrations and think it's good for a person to vent from time to time. I recently took in my two nieces and my nephew because my sister was deemed unfit by the state. Unfortunately, before now I haven't had a lot of time with my nieces and nephew aside from holidays. I was completely oblivious to the fact that my sister was struggling with addiction. I've been in the military and have been out of state since I turned 18. I'm 25, single, and now all of a sudden a parent to a 6 year old, a 9 year old, and a 12 year old. I had to put college on hold so I could take care of the children. I have to wait an extra year now to reenter the physical therapy assistant program I was in. There was just no way I could manage school, work, and the 3 kids when they first moved into my household. Things around here can be tough because It's me and only me. When they moved in they had absolutely no manners and hadn't had any type of structure for the longest time. I've worked really hard with the children on their behavior. The children can devour food. I've really struggled keeping food in the cabinets on my limited budget. I do buy the kids snacks.. and not always the healthiest stuff. I now have rules set up in the household. I am really strict about what comes out of the fridge and the pantry. Nothing gets eaten without asking first. $75 dollar per week is a tight budget and I'm sure the OP is aware of that but sometimes you can only do the best you can. I feed the 4 of us for around $100 per week. Our budget is what I would consider shoe string. My job is't the greatest job especially since I've had to cut my hours to be home when I need to for them. I am squeezing every penny I can. I buy what's on sale and I use a lot of coupons. It's been almost 6 months and I haven't received any aid from the state yet. I should be getting my first check next month. It will be close to around 500 dollars. That will definitely make things easier around here. It will at least cover groceries for the 3 kids.

Don't get me wrong.. this post is a rant.. and I AM b*tching. Not at anything in particular. Not at my sister. Not at the children. Not at the state who has taken their sweet time helping with aide. I am just *****ing because sometimes it's all I can do to keep from going crazy. Life's hard.. lol.

With that said, I love my nieces and nephew. I will continue to support them and raise them like my own as long as necessary. They have been a handful but I love them with all of my heart.

... *Exhale* Rant Over.

I am really glad to see something uplifting come from this ridiculous original post. Good for you, you're giving these children the skills and abilities they will need to become successful adults. And hopefully your sister will find the motivation she needs to get better. Best of luck to you!
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    A LOT of people are saying the kids have no respect for the parent here, but in what I've read through these posts [yes, all pages], I'm seeing a huge lack of respect from the mother to the kids. Respect is a two way street, not one.

I still find this ridiculous. Food shouldn't be hidden or locked up, you're going to give your kids problems with food that they do not need to learn. It also sounds like OP is selfish about food, which is not okay to act like about food with your own kids.

These kids need to grow-up and given responsibilities, not be spanked on the butt for being hungry and eating! That's awful and a bit sickening. Also, these childern are well past the age of spankings, but yet you say your still doing this. Maybe if you treated them like actual people the attitudes towards you might change.

You chose to have these 3 boys and keep them to raise them into this world, not to control their every movement right down to locking up food. Get a grip.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    OP, we're going to need an update, ok?? :)

Dinner ...oven baked chicken, homemade mashed taters n gravy homemade cream corn.

Oldest ate corn n meat. Youngest had meat n taters. Middle ate meat with gravy. There is enuf in there for each to have 2-3 complete adult sized meals. Dinner was an hour n half ago. Already I'm hearing "there's nothing to eat! I'm hungry! "

I am done.

This is when you say "you should have eaten your dinner, the kitchen is closed sorry!" I HATE seeing my daughter whine about being hungry because she is smaller than a lot of kids her age and I worry about her not getting enough even though I see how much she eats a day..and sometimes it can be as much as me or more. But the fact of the matter is - eat when its in front of you or not at all. Period. :)
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    I don't punish my kids for eating or being hungry. I punish them for WASTING food and then 15 minutes later going right back and WASTING MORE!
    MONEY is not the issue. We budget EVERYTHING not just our food bill. (Gas, TV cell, everything!)
    When friends come over, yes, that's budgeted in the meal and snacks too and we buy extra.

But after last nite...maybe you'll see what I go thru.

I made dinner. My son picked at it, left over half on his plate. I put it up.

I called EVERYONE in one room, all sat down and had a severe talk about meals and wasting food.

Less than an hour later my son says he's hungry again. So I warmed his plate up.

He doesn't want it. I said too bad drink water. No. Then you're not hungry go to bed.

He cries n throws a fit about how he's hungry. Oh well. He was given GOOD FOOD he chose not to eat it.
    He says he wants soup. No. That's Saturdays lunch. Eat your dinner.

Next thing I know MY HUSBAND says yeah go ahead eat soup.

So today I get up and guess what I found?
    His leftover soup that he hardly touched. Because he was. "Hungry"

So now lunch for Saturday is gone. My husband thought the boy was starving. And 2 meals are yet again wasted.

This is what I deal with DAILY.
    And no my husband is not always here. He works. They do this even when he's at work. Sneaking into the kitchen wasting food or eating ALL the snacks. (Remember snacks at my house are fruits veggies nuts etc, not garbage like cakes n pop) So yes after the crap I go thru to make sure they get healthy meals and they waste them and are NOT hungry, locking the pantry is not wrong.
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know, you've ranted and raved about this for days now. Lots of good people have offered you their advice, which you asked for. It's time for you to make some choices: try some of the insights people have given or don't. Stop complaining. Stop whining. Stop feeling sorry for YOURSELF.

This is a forum for sharing. If you believe that your parenting tactics are so wonderful, why the heck are you asking for help?

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    Being called a bi!ch and c unt and other names is helping? Wow! I missed that class.
    Being told I starve my kids, even after showing pictures to see they aren't malnourished and are healthy, just wasteful ...thay must be helpful too.

And the best by far..I'm selfish because I want food for ALL my kids to have and eat and not be gluttonous, makes me a bad mom.
    Really??!

And it hasn't been "days" it was started Tues at 11pm. What a day and a half ago?

I've gotten great advice. A lot of it came PM because they knew if it was posted on the main boards they would get attacked.

And I don't feel sorry for myself. But thanks for joining that bandwagon and assuming more stupid crap about me that was never said.
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think you love the drama.

I'm not on a bandwagon, didn't call you names, etc. You're pretty quick to offer the same negativity to others. Beware, you'll reap what you sow.

Instead of actually saying positive things about what people have said, you've pretty much been defensive. If you take to heart the negative things people say in a chatroom, you ought to seek validation elsewhere.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    I think you love the drama.

I'm not on a bandwagon, didn't call you names, etc. You're pretty quick to offer the same negativity to others. Beware, you'll reap what you sow.

Instead of actually saying positive things about what people have said, you've pretty much been defensive. If you take to heart the negative things people say in a chatroom, you ought to seek validation elsewhere.

That's part of the problem. YOU THINK...no I don't like drama. If I did I wouldn't have posted to begin with about how to stop the drama in my house. Again, you're assuming.

I didn't say you called me names. But you did jump on that bandwagon to attack me like 99% of the others and not helping the original situation.

And the ones who gave positive feedback, yes I've responded. BOTH on here and PM. Everyone including you missed it because you're all hell bent on making it look like I am a drama queen who starves kids.

I don't take anything negative to heart because I'm not a negative person. If that's how you are then that's you, not me. But I will say something when I get accused or attacked.

And if you get twisted and pi$$y because I defend myself then I don't know what to tell you.

I know I'm a dam good mom. If I wasn't I wouldn't care if the food lasted a day.

BTW validation and advice/suggestions are not the same. I never asked for validation.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This post has been locked due to numerous guideline violations including:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

This post may be deleted at anytime.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.