What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    I’m Portuguese, grew up in Canada and I’m living in Paris. I’ve been asked if I was Italian, Greek while growing up in Canada but over here I’m mostly asked if I’m Lebanese or from any country around the Mediterranean.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Just about every west indian race....i am AMERICAN.
  • shawnisoto
    Options
    Hilarius im always,talkin about this. I am half white and half hispanic. Been mistakin for italian so many times. Someone argued with me that,i had,a newyorken accecent when i been there and,they were a newyorker lol. Went to a a.m pm whn i wad younger i had alot of gold on and,long hair . And the,india cashier asked me if i was gypsy lol. I,do,not kno how to upload my profile,pic. Help:indifferent: :flowerforyou: :indifferent: :flowerforyou:
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Speaking French to my peeps in public, while out of town, has on occasion given people the impression that I'm from France. But that is rare...My French is broken and I generally only use it in certain places (barbershop, local bar).
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mexican, Indian or Pakistani but I'm mixed with Black American and Iranian.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    They haven't ever said or asked, but are always surprised when I say English is my second language. I only knew a German dialect until I was 5.
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ive been mistaken for middle eastern with dark hair,... besides that cuban, colombian,chile noooooo thank you Im nicaraguan/french !
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My best friend thought I was Ecuadorian, like she is, for almost a year. She would talk to me in Spanish, which I understand, and I would reply to her in English but she just figured I liked English better. I did go to Ecuador with her once and many of her family members are very fair skinned like I am so I guess I understand the confusion :laugh:
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm half black and half white, but I've been asked if I'm almost every single nationality from Mexico, below. Also, if I'm half aboriginal.

Most often though, people approach me speaking in Spanish. Fortunately, I've taken a few years and can respond!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm a typical white girl, so uh. yeah. this doesn't apply to me :D

i'm from massachusetts and someone said i had a jersey accent. i was like wtf.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    I'm Vietnamese, and I've been mistaken for Latina by this Latino guys who got lost in the neighborhood. My friend said they were blind because I'm obviously Asian XD.

I'm Vietnamese, but I've been told I don't look it at all.

My boyfriend's dad who's Japanese says I look more Japanese.

My friend's mom who's Chinese says I look more Chinese than Vietnamese.

My aunt said I look more Korean . . .

My nose is a little tall, but small, and my skin is a little whiter than most Vietnamese, makes people a little confused o____o.

Of course, there are people who can't tell the nuances between all those Asian countries XD.

Right?! My boyfriend's Cantonese-Chinese, but everyone thinks he's Korean because of his long oval face and wide nose!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am fair and blonde. 3/4 Polish and 1/4 French Canadian. (Perhaps from native american there.)

I grew up in a very ethnic mostly hispanic neighborhood and I was the "exotic" with my long straight blonde hair, light blue eyes, and white skin. (Funny thing is my dad is olived skinned and got hispanic alot.)

When I traved to Poland, at the airport the immigratation guys thought I should have been in the Polish national line.

I occassionally got Swedish but I am bit too short for that generalization.

Interesting thread. If you eyes are bright, your skin is smooth, your teeth are good, and your hair is "arranged well" ~ I'm betting that you are pretty no matter what color you are.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Just about every west indian race....i am AMERICAN.

And i'm West Indian but get American lol
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Hahaha. All different types.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Asian. Mostly Filipino but I've gotten Indian too. My mother gets mistaken for Filipino too
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed German and African American. I've gotten so many different guesses lol. Hispanic, Samoan, Hawaiian, Polynesian, even asked if I'm part Asian. I think it's in my eyes I'm not sure. I get allot of different people talking to me in their language in which of coarse I don't understand.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian, Polish, Ukrainian, African American, Native American, Creole. For the most part, I am mistaken for Latina. Once, at my last job, an old man came in on my day off and asked for the "tall, Hispanic gentleman". When he was informed that no one matching that description worked there he said "you know, the assistant manager".

I was the assistant manager. *sigh*
  • ChristieEarley
    ChristieEarley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm Norwegian, Native American, and Italian

But people think i'm: Greek, Bosnian, Hispanic, 1/2 white 1/2 black, or Middle-Eastern.

I find that when I'm tan (which is whenever i'm in the sun for a few short hours) people have no idea what I am. It's actually kind of fun having people guess. The one question I don't like though is "What are you?"... "what nationality or ethnicity" is fine.. but "what are you" really? I'm human wtf are you?!
  • jaxg1234
    jaxg1234 Posts: 27
    Options
    I always get mistaken for Greek, when I am Italian haha.
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've been mistaken for a light mexican and an italian. I'm straight up Anglo-Saxon. I think.