What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm Half Mauritian, half Greek but pure Aussie :)

I get indian, lebanese, turkish and other European backgrounds..
  • itsrierie
    itsrierie Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm Australian. I always have people ask me if I'm American or English, or if I've lived there for a long time, because my accent.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am English with a Welsh mother and Cornish father, and I have pale skin, blue eyes and dark hair, which is not unusual for a someone with that background. I have been mistaken for Spanish, Egyptian and Indian more than once, and ALWAYS by people from those countries. Totally ridiculous. I find it creepy and sort of offensive when people try to guess my ethnic background but that might be because in London, it's bad manners to ask someone what they "are"!
  • Bijoux_Bug
    Bijoux_Bug Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm Mexican but some people have thought I was Asian or Filipino.
    Someone once got angry at me because they were convinced I was lying to them about being Hispanic.
    Hahahahahaha!!
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    Depends where I am. When I was in Brooklyn, people thought I was Russian/east european. When I was in Turkey/Greece they thought I was Syrian O.o
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    People mistake me for being Norwegian. It's not that I look like one, it's just the fact that I've lived in Norway all my life, and I act like and speak like one, so everyone just assumes that I am.

I'm actually English, and my parents moved to Norway long before I was born. :)

I have also been mistaken for being French when I was out of the country.
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a quarter Japanese and people often come up to me speaking Spanish... and I'm always asked if I'm Hispanic in any sort of ethnicity/nationality discussion.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Thai :wink:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    95% of people assume I'm Mexican. Pretty sick of it after 25 years too, for reasons I don't feel like getting into. LOL

Another strangely common one I get is Lebanese. Awfully specific but after seeing what they look like, I can see where it comes from. XD Middle Eastern, less specifically. Indian a couple times. A friend thought I was Japanese and Mexican. I've got tons of different blood (Filipino, Italian, German, Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Native American), but no one ever seems to pick up on any of them.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Italian mostly..someone once said black and white as well but my heritage is Puerto Rican. My hair is dark and soft spiral curly, my skin is very light (but I tan easily), and my eyes are hazel..most people assume Puerto Ricans are dark skinned but it's not true..I even have family members whom are blonde with blue eyes. ::Shrugs::
  • ToBeThin_12
    Options
    French !
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Italian mostly..someone once said black and white as well but my heritage is Puerto Rican. My hair is dark and soft spiral curly, my skin is very light (but I tan easily), and my eyes are hazel..most people assume Puerto Ricans are dark skinned but it's not true..I even have family members whom are blonde with blue eyes. ::Shrugs::

I used to assume that as well, but I've met red headed Puerto Ricans! I find it fascinating because the majority of Puerto Ricans do have such dark features.
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Such an interesting topic.

I'm always asked all the common Asian ones: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect. but when I tell them I'm Hmong they go "Mongolian?" and I have to tell them it's not a nationality but an ethnicity (Like how China recognizes 56+ ethnic tribes instead of just being plain "Chinese" which is mostly Han Chinese). Even worse when I tell them I was born in Thailand, and then they go "So you're Thai?" Nope. Still Hmong. :D
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    usually mistaken for Irish. ..i wonder why..

pretty much dutch and we think possibly jewish heritage
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Many times I have been thought to be Hawaiian and have also been told a few times that I have an Irish accent.
  • TaylorMonet
    Options
    I never get mistaken for anything. Haha people always guess that i'm black and white. They just don't know that I'm irish and prussian as well as black. xD

People always mistake my mom for spanish even though she doesn't have a single hispanic bone in her whole body.
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    For me it`s either Greek, Spanish..

Dark hair, olive skin and green light green eyes.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think I'm Italian or simply White. I'm actually Mexican & White (French/Swiss I believe). I can understand the Italian. I have tan skin, brown hair, & light brown eyes. Can't understand the just white because I'm pretty tan.
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm half Welsh half Portuguese. People usually think I'm French or Australian...I dunno why!?!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I'm half English half Japanese, but I always get people asking me things in Spanish ... they automatically think Mexican. then they yell at me when I answer "no comprendo espagnol" LOL I guess that's what happens if you live in California, and have dark hair and eyes...:tongue: