• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Azexas wrote: »
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works".

Can you provide specific examples? "Only a calorie deficit works" when it comes to purely weight loss is a 100% true statement.
    Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets.

Again, we need a specific example. There are about 1,000,452,506,130 threads on here asking whether green bean coffee extract and raspberry ketones work. There is very little scientific evidence, if any, that show these specific supplements actually do anything. Most of the regulars here know it, so they give the advice that it is useless and just a scam. Are you saying they should just shut up?
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

And the broken record continues. Please give a specific example. I have never heard anyone on hear say that medication prescribed by a doctor is just a magic pill. I could be mistaken though. If someone did say this, it's probably someone on the fringe who has a mistrust of the medical industry as a whole.
    I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous.

Some supplements do work to curb appetite or give energy, etc. Caffeine and creatine to name a few. The benefits and side effects of the 2 specifics I mentioned are well documented and proven. I doubt any of the regulars here would call these snake oil. However, there are some reasonable and legitimate concerns on the efficacy and safety of these. If you need a placebo to motivate you then fine. However, I see no problem with someone suggesting that you can do it without the placebo and save some of your hard earned money too. In fact, I think it would be very good advice.
    I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Again, specifics are needed. Most people here do not call a supplement snake oil without knowing anything about it. A lot of people here are very knowledgeable. Also, if someone promotes a supplement that know one knows about, the burden of proof is on the promoter. For example, I can say that monkey spit will burn body fat. I am perfectly entitled to that opinion. Also, others are perfectly entitled to criticize my opinion if they don't agree. However, it is up to me to provide the scientific proof that it works. I can't make the claim and then say "well if you don't think it works, prove me wrong." That would be illogical.

But I didn't read your post obviously. I just read the title and assumed you were obese. So my opinion can be discounted.

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

If "ABC" has no science to support it or has potentially dangerous side effects your darn right I'm going to speak my mind and tell them the potential dangers of that supplement. and I will add there are no magic pills to my post.... just as I usually do because that's the truth.

Thank you for agreeing with me even though you don't want to admit it. I've obviously seen the latter enough to comment on it but people don't get it. Which is fine. Some people just aren't empathetic, or detail oriented, or good with communication in general. But it's frustrating when people claim to be interested in helping people when their approach and refusal to self reflect clearly shows they care more about trying to sound superior.

So your OP should have been the following and we could have saved a lot of time:

"People should be nicer."
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works".

Can you provide specific examples? "Only a calorie deficit works" when it comes to purely weight loss is a 100% true statement.
    Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets.

Again, we need a specific example. There are about 1,000,452,506,130 threads on here asking whether green bean coffee extract and raspberry ketones work. There is very little scientific evidence, if any, that show these specific supplements actually do anything. Most of the regulars here know it, so they give the advice that it is useless and just a scam. Are you saying they should just shut up?
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

And the broken record continues. Please give a specific example. I have never heard anyone on hear say that medication prescribed by a doctor is just a magic pill. I could be mistaken though. If someone did say this, it's probably someone on the fringe who has a mistrust of the medical industry as a whole.
    I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous.

Some supplements do work to curb appetite or give energy, etc. Caffeine and creatine to name a few. The benefits and side effects of the 2 specifics I mentioned are well documented and proven. I doubt any of the regulars here would call these snake oil. However, there are some reasonable and legitimate concerns on the efficacy and safety of these. If you need a placebo to motivate you then fine. However, I see no problem with someone suggesting that you can do it without the placebo and save some of your hard earned money too. In fact, I think it would be very good advice.
    I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Again, specifics are needed. Most people here do not call a supplement snake oil without knowing anything about it. A lot of people here are very knowledgeable. Also, if someone promotes a supplement that know one knows about, the burden of proof is on the promoter. For example, I can say that monkey spit will burn body fat. I am perfectly entitled to that opinion. Also, others are perfectly entitled to criticize my opinion if they don't agree. However, it is up to me to provide the scientific proof that it works. I can't make the claim and then say "well if you don't think it works, prove me wrong." That would be illogical.

But I didn't read your post obviously. I just read the title and assumed you were obese. So my opinion can be discounted.

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

If "ABC" has no science to support it or has potentially dangerous side effects your darn right I'm going to speak my mind and tell them the potential dangers of that supplement. and I will add there are no magic pills to my post.... just as I usually do because that's the truth.

Thank you for agreeing with me even though you don't want to admit it. I've obviously seen the latter enough to comment on it but people don't get it. Which is fine. Some people just aren't empathetic, or detail oriented, or good with communication in general. But it's frustrating when people claim to be interested in helping people when their approach and refusal to self reflect clearly shows they care more about trying to sound superior.

So your OP should have been the following and we could have saved a lot of time:

It's obviously been an early "Mean People" thread for about seven pages now.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Does that mean we can move on to gifs?
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

Sorry. It threw me off as it is Thursday!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OOh..mean people threads and cat gifs before Friday? You're so bad.

Actually, I was going to chime in with CICO = weight loss. I do believe there are some supplements that might suppress the appetite. The only one I ever tried though gave me horrible gas. Like the kind where you actually think it's a ruptured appendix and go to the emergency room. Yes, true story. I'll just stick with being slightly hungry and not having atomic gas.

I've read the side effects on some of those supplement boxes. One actually recommended that until your body adjusted to it you have a spare pair of pants. I'm not pooping my pants in the name of weight loss.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    But really, why can't we all just get along?
  • Azexas
    Options
    robspot wrote: »

anigif_enhanced-4230-1399925653-1.gif
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

Won't you be my neighbor?

• robspot
    Options

That's awesome :D
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'll buy you a Dr Pepper if you make it to Texas. In the meantime:

cocacola_ad1.png

• Azexas
    Options

That's awesome :D

If I see an opportunity to post s gif from mean girls I take it :D
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

Won't you be my neighbor?

You know now that I think about this statement, I'm confused. Is it supposed to be a statement or a question? Because Mr. Rogers must have been a real jerk if he demanded people to be his neighbor. Maybe I don't want to be his freaking neighbor! How dare he tell me what to do!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    10 pages and this f*c*ery is still ongoing.

And mean people are mean.
  • robspot
    Options
    You know now that I think about this statement, I'm confused. Is it supposed to be a statement or a question? Because Mr. Rogers must have been a real jerk if he demanded people to be his neighbor. Maybe I don't want to be his freaking neighbor! How dare he tell me what to do!

Oh. It's a song. I thought you actually wanted me to be your neighbour.

I feel kinda used now. The internet is such a hollow place :'(
  • robspot
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Woo. Lots of it.

I understand OPs point of changing approach. Why don't we stay on topic of it instead of battling over who's criticizing who/what...lol.

Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?

Woo. Lots of it.

I understand OPs point of changing approach. Why don't we stay on topic of it instead of battling over who's criticizing who/what...lol.

Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?

THANK YOU!! I think most people just read the thread title and decided I was an obese person who was looking for a magic pill. Thanks for reading before commenting!!

like two people said/agreed with that. If you're going to attribute thoughts to people that they haven't said. Well. A lot of things will likely needlessly make you angry then. Whether they're true or not

People at the bottom of the class often defend themselves by citing the number of people who also didn't understand something. You're like "only 2 people got it" lol and?
    smh

Frequent head shake could be a sign of a tremor. Anyone experiencing frequent head shaking should see their healthcare professional.

Tremors caused by taking supplements?
  • Azexas
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Woo. Lots of it.

Woo. Lots of it.

THANK YOU!! I think most people just read the thread title and decided I was an obese person who was looking for a magic pill. Thanks for reading before commenting!!

like two people said/agreed with that. If you're going to attribute thoughts to people that they haven't said. Well. A lot of things will likely needlessly make you angry then. Whether they're true or not

People at the bottom of the class often defend themselves by citing the number of people who also didn't understand something. You're like "only 2 people got it" lol and?
    smh

Frequent head shake could be a sign of a tremor. Anyone experiencing frequent head shaking should see their healthcare professional.

According to WebMD it can be caused by a brain tumor...may want to have that looked.
This discussion has been closed.