Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I can see a difference, Jo. Nice job.
    Thanks- I think I see it- but I'm assuming it's because I WANT to see it!
    @JoRocka

I see a v-taper and shoulders bouldering.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    LOL- I heart that you said "fluffy butt"
    It's true, you can touch it if you don't believe me.

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    I'm pretty sure I am going to have to.
    #forscienceandall
    I would also like to point out that I was never able to bring myself to eat these damned things.
    They shall likely sit there until I toss them out one day. Even when bulking at 4200 on some days, I couldn't do it. xD

They are totally edible. They actually taste like little coffee nut m and m's- I thought they were going to be AWFUL. But nope- ate all of them in an afternoon with my cubicle buddies.

totally edible.
    So- send them to me. I'll eat them for you. I'm dying of starvation- I'm sure of it.

10 days to go essentially. Debating on what to eat as my last big meals. pretty sure going to order pizza- and go to Ihop-day of or night after type situation- because I'm a hedonist.

I want to eat all the foods before I stop eating all the foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall
    I would also like to point out that I was never able to bring myself to eat these damned things.
    They shall likely sit there until I toss them out one day. Even when bulking at 4200 on some days, I couldn't do it. xD

They are totally edible. They actually taste like little coffee nut m and m's- I thought they were going to be AWFUL. But nope- ate all of them in an afternoon with my cubicle buddies.

totally edible.
    So- send them to me. I'll eat them for you. I'm dying of starvation- I'm sure of it.

10 days to go essentially. Debating on what to eat as my last big meals. pretty sure going to order pizza- and go to Ihop-day of or night after type situation- because I'm a hedonist.

Start the day with dim sum, followed by a Jim's/John/Tony Luke's Cheesesteak for lunch and pizza for dinner... boom!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall

totally edible.

I was tempted to do the same, but given that I cut in specific timeframes, the more I shoved in, the less likely it would be for me to hit my desired composition before I have to switch back to maintenance to rebalance hormones.

Interestingly though, since I am using basal body temperature to keep an eye on my metabolism during my cut this time, I'm finding that I am running at about 10-15% hyper, even after almost a week of my kcals being clipped by ~70%. If it stays up, I might be able to stretch for a little more without screwing myself up.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall

totally edible.

Start the day with dim sum, followed by a Jim's/John/Tony Luke's Cheesesteak for lunch and pizza for dinner... boom!

damn- now you've got me thinking- I didn't even THINK about a lunch meal!!!
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall

totally edible.

I was tempted to do the same, but given that I cut in specific timeframes, the more I shoved in, the less likely it would be for me to hit my desired composition before I have to switch back to maintenance to rebalance hormones.

Interestingly though, since I am using basal body temperature to keep an eye on my metabolism during my cut this time, I'm finding that I am running at about 10-15% hyper, even after almost a week of my kcals being clipped by ~70%. If it stays up, I might be able to stretch for a little more without screwing myself up.

I'm thinking like one last day hurrah type situation- which usually doesn't mess me up to badly.

I like the idea of the basal body temp- very interesting. I'm so not that specific about my gaining/cutting- as long as I fit into my stretchy pants and my very 'spensive dance costumes- I'm happy- that's my barometer.

as dance costumes aren't stretchy really- it's a pretty damn good gauge.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You all are amazing! I couldn't see any definition at the end of my bulk. 6 weeks into my cut and I'm starting to get my body back, which makes my sad amount of calories do-able.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @JoRocka That is what I am here for.. to get your back when it comes to food.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall

totally edible.

damn- now you've got me thinking- I didn't even THINK about a lunch meal!!!
    @JoRocka

GROW SHOULDERS GROW!!!
    #forscienceandall

totally edible.

I'm thinking like one last day hurrah type situation- which usually doesn't mess me up to badly.

I like the idea of the basal body temp- very interesting. I'm so not that specific about my gaining/cutting- as long as I fit into my stretchy pants and my very 'spensive dance costumes- I'm happy- that's my barometer.

as dance costumes aren't stretchy really- it's a pretty damn good gauge.

I'm one of those "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" kind of people. It's why I cut at 85-90% protein on kcals that make most petite women groan about hunger. It's why I walk 12-18 miles per day, and eat 3700-4200 kcals/day when bulking, in order to hit 0.5-1 lbs./week gained. It's why I have been known to eat 400+g protein/day during said bulks. It's why I prefer to lift in the 85-100% range.

There is something definitely wrong with me, but I have made peace with this fact, and am figuring out over time, how to make it work for me.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So when are we all switching over to a cutting thread??? I'm starting my third week of a cut. I feel pretty great right now and PRed on squat yesterday.

I want to check and see if I'm doing this correctly. I spent 2 weeks in maintenance; and have dropped about 100 calories a day under maintenance. I have one "refeed" day (still keeping calories reasonable...about 300 calories above maintenance). Scale weight hasn't changed (also started taking Creatine again, which usually causes a 2-3lb weight gain for me). Smaller pants fit again; and a gym regular said that I looked "slimmer." So far, so good. I'm planning on bulking May-August for competition in Aug.

How long do your cuts last? I'm thinking I would try to get through March and go back to maintenance in April. Do you think I'm likely to experience significant strength loss in the timeframe? I'm wondering if I shpuld change set/rep scheme while in a cut. I've been doing 3x8...thinking of going back to 5/3/1. Does that make sense?
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So when are we all switching over to a cutting thread??? I'm starting my third week of a cut. I feel pretty great right now and PRed on squat yesterday.

I want to check and see if I'm doing this correctly. I spent 2 weeks in maintenance; and have dropped about 100 calories a day under maintenance. I have one "refeed" day (still keeping calories reasonable...about 300 calories above maintenance). Scale weight hasn't changed (also started taking Creatine again, which usually causes a 2-3lb weight gain for me). Smaller pants fit again; and a gym regular said that I looked "slimmer." So far, so good. I'm planning on bulking May-August for competition in Aug.

How long do your cuts last? I'm thinking I would try to get through March and go back to maintenance in April. Do you think I'm likely to experience significant strength loss in the timeframe? I'm wondering if I shpuld change set/rep scheme while in a cut. I've been doing 3x8...thinking of going back to 5/3/1. Does that make sense?

I've basically continued using my final 5/3/1 numbers, but with intensity up and reps down on my accessories. I also combined bench and ohp into one day, and squats and deads into one day.

As an example, this is what today looked like for me, as an upper body day:

Bench Press: 5x80/5x100/3x120/5x150/5x170/4x190
    Shoulder Rows: 5x155x3
    Clean and Press: 5x55/5x70/3x85/5x105/3x120/2x145
    Low Row: 3x155x5
    Weighted Ab Crunch: 5x90x3

I'm actually still hitting PRs on 1200 kcals/day of almost all protein. xD
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

OMG 1200 calories so bad for your health.............
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options

OMG 1200 calories so bad for your health.............

Inorite?

Zomg starvation mode metabolic damage biggest loser correlation cancer of doom gonna get fat on 1400 calories next week!!!1!1!!one1!

Did I hit all of the fearmonger catchphrases?
  • JoRocka
    Options

HA- well Anyone is capable of starting one- but if there isn't one up by mid March beginning April- I'll be starting it because I'm trimming down-

I don't mind honestly keeping the whole cycle in one thread though since most of us are rolling through this at roughly the same time. - not sure I considered doing a separate thread entirely. But we absolutely can.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm on the cutting train until further notice. But I think Jo has a good point about keeping up with everything in one thread. (And I like that it's more of the lifty people here, I'm selfish and I want it to stay that way.) Although "Winter 2016" is going to be a bit outdated before too long. What happens then? :D
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like the idea of keeping it all in one thread.. I finally will then have people on the cutting side. And honestly, if we need a title change, I know a guy.

BTW, down 4 lbs in the first 8 week cycle, but I had a few weeks of going away parties and other issues which allowed for higher food consumption. But my lifts are progressing really well.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    My bulk will likely continue til June 3 PL meet. I need to be under 181lbs then. I've been hovering at ~170 lbs over the last month, time to up calories.
    I'll probably cut hard and fast to under 165 after June and maintain there in order to compete down a weight class Oct 28.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting then maintaining through the summer (down 9 lbs although that'll be screwed up this weekend). I haven't decided if I'll bulk again this winter or try my hand at recomping. I really, really like bulking over the holidays....
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think we can roll through till most of us are maintaining or still cutting.
    It's like my dredging season at work- we work from September through like March - so it us like "dredge season 16" but we finished '17.- so I kind of assumed we all would roll through the cutting season- I feel like we can get the thread title updated if we need to- but I just assume keep the "cycle" internal here on one thread. We can start a new bulk thread in the fall when most of us cycle up again.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    I really, really like bulking over the holidays....
    Me too, and leading up to a meet. I feel soooo strong.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am going to continue bulking until May, and then do a small cut for summer then resume the slow bulk in September. I don't even know anymore. I am about 7 lbs up and I look the same, it's like, is there even anything to cut?? Sigh.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping on the bulk until end of March, cutting until I feel less fluffy and then going to hopefully maintain during the summer. All about the holiday bulk next time around.