Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Again, it's how the descriptors are used that ticks me off because you (in a general sense here) are using a broad brush to narrowly paint something just so you (again in general) can feel morally superior in your dietary choices.

I think I just discovered the issue people seem to have with food labels.

I'd say relax. Yes there are some people that may feel superior in whatever choice they're making. I usually ignore these people. And TBH, this OP didn't strike me as that type. I try to eat simply and avoid grains, etc. However, I definitely don't feel superior. And to be honest, I don't really care what you eat. If you ask for my advice though, I will share what works for me.

In the end, who cares? If someone feels superior because of their food choices, of all things, let them. It certainly doesn't hurt my feelings any. Hey, I drink way more than I should. Don't really care if someone wants to get on their anti-alcohol high horse either. Well, occasionally I get huffy about it, but that's usually because I'm having my own issues and feeling defensive.

In fact...off to happy hour! :drinker:
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

That is a reasonable ethical decision. I hope you can continue to follow it.

Unfortunately with all my other obligations is is not feasible in either money or time.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Again, it's how the descriptors are used that ticks me off because you (in a general sense here) are using a broad brush to narrowly paint something just so you (again in general) can feel morally superior in your dietary choices.

I think I just discovered the issue people seem to have with food labels.

I'd say relax. Yes there are some people that may feel superior in whatever choice they're making. I usually ignore these people. And TBH, this OP didn't strike me as that type. I try to eat simply and avoid grains, etc. However, I definitely don't feel superior. And to be honest, I don't really care what you eat. If you ask for my advice though, I will share what works for me.

In the end, who cares? If someone feels superior because of their food choices, of all things, let them. It certainly doesn't hurt my feelings any. Hey, I drink way more than I should. Don't really care if someone wants to get on their anti-alcohol high horse either. Well, occasionally I get huffy about it, but that's usually because I'm having my own issues and feeling defensive.

In fact...off to happy hour! :drinker:

Because for every one time that a person will say they lost XX number of pounds strictly clean eating, there are five people listening thinking that's the only way to do it. Those same people are the ones that think they've failed once they "cave in" and have a candy bar or choose to eat some chips for a snack.

This is why I speak out about it. I used to be that person that was strictly cutting out candy, bread, chips, and tortillas--all the things I love. I lost weight; I was miserable; and I felt extremely guilty every time I gave in to a craving because I felt that I failed.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    that steak is almost overcooked... shame it couldn't have a little bit more juicy redness to it... :)
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Passionate can be arrogant, but it isn't always arrogant. Keto/low-carbers, like people on other eating plans, can be very passionate. But they usually aren't arrogant.

Not me, I'm totally arrogant.

In fact, I've been considering having some business cards made up at vistaprint that just say "http://www.reddit.com/r/keto - check it out, it might save your life." and hand it out to all the morbidly obese people I see shoveling carbs into their pieholes around town.

If I can save even ONE pancreas, it will have been worth it.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)

OP states shes on a "weight loss journey"

And that she's trying to avoid DIABETES.

Ah, right I forgot. Carbs = Diabetes.

I didn't say that, did I.

Is that a question or a statement.
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....
    Works for what?

I bet her mind would be blown if she realized someone was losing weight eating a low carb diet because...dun dun dun...you maintain a calorie deficit!

And she might be amazed to learn that different people have: different goals! :)

Looks like a statement. I don't see a question mark. :)
    Indeed, there was no question mark.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OMG does that not look amazing? I bet that's been processed.

steak.jpg

My lord that looks good. And it fits perfectly with my diet.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Works for what?

Works for what?

Looks like a statement. I don't see a question mark. :)
    Indeed, there was no question mark.

Page 5, stated as sarcasm. Aware, was kidding.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Passionate can be arrogant, but it isn't always arrogant. Keto/low-carbers, like people on other eating plans, can be very passionate. But they usually aren't arrogant.

Not me, I'm totally arrogant.

In fact, I've been considering having some business cards made up at vistaprint that just say "http://www.reddit.com/r/keto - check it out, it might save your life." and hand it out to all the morbidly obese people I see shoveling carbs into their pieholes around town.

If I can save even ONE pancreas, it will have been worth it.
    BWAHAHAHAAA! Thank goodness I wasn't drinking water that time! LOL!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

steak.jpg

Drooling...I figured multiple people here would appreciate that pic.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    eh nevermind... not worth it.

Come on. . . . .just let it out. I bet you are either thinking something like 'southern' or 'sea salt' go ahead. . . . just say it.

What?

Gelato flavors. . . .good Lord.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    eh nevermind... not worth it.

Come on. . . . .just let it out. I bet you are either thinking something like 'southern' or 'sea salt' go ahead. . . . just say it.

What?

Gelato flavors. . . .good Lord.

scoff at Butter Pecan. Sea Salt Caramel is fine though... I'm all about that Caramel Apple Pie.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: by now you've figured out that the main boards can be a bit of a minefield. Folks feel very strongly about some of this stuff. Even when it's not about them. Through the posts hopefully, you've also seen a few posters who might be good "pals" for you, if you decide to stay. cheers.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    6 pages and no gifs. What happened to these forums? ek25c6_zps3a1af44b.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »

Is that popcorn buttered?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Yup...and that's REAL butter. :)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yup...and that's REAL butter. :)

Good. none of that fake crap. ;)
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Wow, I stepped away from the thread to a couple days, and it blew up! LOL

This has taught me a lot about how triggering, controversial, and divisive some concepts can be for people.

I'm glad for all the friends I got through the publicity :)

Despite the "minefield," overall MFP has been hugely helpful for me so far. I've lost 5 lbs since I started, so something is going right!

Also, I haven't had to feel hungry, which is essential for me because I love to eat. My food budget is way down, as processed and restaurant food is honestly more expensive. That kind of food is no longer a "treat" for me. It is more of a treat to know I am nourishing myself with wholesome, REAL food--I feel like I eat like a king! My kids are eating healthier due to my diet changes. All around lots of good things.

I wish the best for everyone.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?

YES. It took me years to fully realize the difference. Now for me to call package food real food the first thing I look at are the number of ingredients on the label. More than three (3) makes me question it as real food.

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

steak.jpg

slurps. that would take care of my meat tooth.