Low(er) Carb Real Food

Options
14567810»

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    OMG does that not look amazing? I bet that's been processed.

steak.jpg

My lord that looks good. And it fits perfectly with my diet.

slurps. that would take care of my meat tooth.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Look girl. Don't go low carb..low fat...low anything......just go calorie deficit....honestly honey it works. I eat everything...just calorie deficit...omg...it works.....trust me....

Debmal77 at one time I thought the same thing but over the years learned that often can be a false statement.

There are health conditions that makes weight loss next to impossible. In my case I expect it was a fatty liver. Without a highly functional liver (the organ that can break fats down into ketones that our muscles and brain can burn vs glucose) weight loss may never really happen beyond a few pounds then stops. Sure you can starve yourself but death could be the result depending on ones medical issues known or UNKNOWN.

Dieting was WAY more than a calorie THING I have learned from doing a lot of research.

• zozotxiki
    Options
    Looking for open-minded, thoughtful mfp friends who are on a weight loss journey that focuses on mainly eating real, unprocessed, low(er) carb foods... no added sugars or grains! I'm not ketogenic, but I might be on certain days here and there.

And of course, realistically, we all cheat at times.

I eat a ketogenic diet and have done for a year (though I kinda fell off the wagon a little over the summer and restarted in August). It works for me and I've lost 25kg so far.

So I'm happy with that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Looking for open-minded, thoughtful mfp friends who are on a weight loss journey that focuses on mainly eating real, unprocessed, low(er) carb foods... no added sugars or grains! I'm not ketogenic, but I might be on certain days here and there.

aquylvester thanks for starting this thread. A lot of good info has been posted. At one point I did not buy into the Low Carb high Fat thing and understand others not buying into the mindset yet.

When my arthritis pain was less when basically leaving off bread, sugar (carbs) and the like it was not hard for me to understand there was a cause and effect in MY case.

I would never tell someone else to eat my diet because their body may be very different from mine. Reading what others are doing with success helps me know possible eating options that I may or may not want to test on myself.

Perhaps the people so against anything different than what they do just have not studied to subject of dieting enough to be posting helpful info. Hating is ease for humans. Loving others as ourselves is not natural for many humans I have decided over the years.

Folks learn your body and stop depending on someone else to tell you how to eat. While I do have some medical training (OD) this diet thing is NOT rocket science but it is way more than counting calories I am convinced at this point in my life. Google will find you both real and junk info so be careful. Many promoters are mainly interested in your money instead of your long term health.

If one wishes to slam anything anyone is doing read up on the subject first so as not to make a fool of one's self.

For me learning I can live the rest of my life just fine without eating carbs was the break through for my pain manage success. However everyone else in my house is very heavy into carbs and they will continue to do so regardless of what I say. Over time if they see it works for me to manage my pain (without taking cancer causing drugs like Enbrel) they may try what works for me if they develop pain like mine. Hating on anyone can lead to weight gain we all know.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    OMG does that not look amazing? I bet that's been processed.

steak.jpg

My lord that looks good. And it fits perfectly with my diet.

slurps. that would take care of my meat tooth.

I know. Good grief I'm still jonesing for that steak! I better get one soon. I had some steak from a Japanese grill (y'know yakinuku, didn't eat the rice) but it wasn't bloody...sigh...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

aquylvester thanks for starting this thread. A lot of good info has been posted. At one point I did not buy into the Low Carb high Fat thing and understand others not buying into the mindset yet.

When my arthritis pain was less when basically leaving off bread, sugar (carbs) and the like it was not hard for me to understand there was a cause and effect in MY case.

I would never tell someone else to eat my diet because their body may be very different from mine. Reading what others are doing with success helps me know possible eating options that I may or may not want to test on myself.

Perhaps the people so against anything different than what they do just have not studied to subject of dieting enough to be posting helpful info. Hating is ease for humans. Loving others as ourselves is not natural for many humans I have decided over the years.

Folks learn your body and stop depending on someone else to tell you how to eat. While I do have some medical training (OD) this diet thing is NOT rocket science but it is way more than counting calories I am convinced at this point in my life. Google will find you both real and junk info so be careful. Many promoters are mainly interested in your money instead of your long term health.

If one wishes to slam anything anyone is doing read up on the subject first so as not to make a fool of one's self.

For me learning I can live the rest of my life just fine without eating carbs was the break through for my pain manage success. However everyone else in my house is very heavy into carbs and they will continue to do so regardless of what I say. Over time if they see it works for me to manage my pain (without taking cancer causing drugs like Enbrel) they may try what works for me if they develop pain like mine. Hating on anyone can lead to weight gain we all know.

I'm glad you found something that helped you so much. That's one of the reasons people adopt diets like yours. If you hurt, you want it to stop, and sometimes people are sensitive to things they didn't even know bothered them until they cut it out.

Yes, Google is great! But it brings all information to you, fake and real, you have to develop a discerning eye and learn to tell legitimate from misleading.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I really support OPs objectives: eating more whole foods but being realistic about it. I don't understand why people get upset when low-carb or "real" food is mentioned... I have insulin resistance and that just plain changes the equation. The truth is that a lot of people who are obese are insulin resistant and need to learn how to work with that condition. And there are a lot of conditions that cause, exacerbate, and/or lead to obesity and in those cases we need to find appropriate diets. It's an individual thing. Low(er)-carb is an option that may help in many cases. I'm not actually low carb, but I found by lowering my carb moderately and increasing fat and protein I was able to stem an 18 year binge eating pattern.

• WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Real food? Is thisquote]
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Real food? Is this opposed to pretend food?

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

Of course, all of that is an ideal situation, but it is a goal.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….

I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.

Ok, let me get this straight, "if you can eat it, it's real?"

Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly...

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

You say, "no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it"? Actually, trans fat is a case in point where actually there is NO recommended daily limit. The answer is just ZERO.

This is just one example of the difference between real and processed foods. I never used the term "fake." It popped into your head when you read "real." But yeah, when I see that "blueberries" in muffins are made of " sugar, corn syrup, starch, hydrogenated oil, artificial flavors, artificial food dye blue No. 2 and red No. 40," I definitely think "fake."

While the term "real food" might make you cringe... I cringe the more I learn about the food industry's cheap tactics and irresponsibility. Chemicals are tested and synthesized by industry, intensifying flavors from nature, with the exact purpose of making it so intense that you crave it.

Personally, I would rather cut out the lab-created, chemical flavors and enjoy the nuances of nature. Taste an apple and actually enjoy its intense sweetness. It takes time to adjust the palate, but now I'm at the point where asparagus actually does seem to have overtones reminiscent of birthday cake LOL
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    there's a board for keto, you'll probably get more help there. less haters.

Thanks, maybe I'm not looking in the right places. All I see are the main forums under message boards. There are only 11 of them?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/23653-okl-living

Here's a couple... it's kind of hard to search groups.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the keto groups, cribs2

I think this conversation is bigger than low carb, keto, high fat... even with these patterns of eating, it can still be easy to get lost the trap of eating too many overly processed foods... I say "overly" processed because I know some know-it-all is going say, "well, ALL food is processed unless you pick it up off the ground, blah, blah, blah..." GET REAL. There is a HUGE difference between eating 120 calories of almonds and 120 calories of Coca Cola in terms of its effects on the liver, brain, pancreas, not to mention all the nutrients you don't get in the latter.

The sad reality is that our nation is dying. The CDC estimates that by 2035, 95% of us will be overweight or obese. By 2050, 1/3 of us will have diabetes. Whose going to pay for those healthcare costs? Do you know how incredibly expensive dialysis is? (The need for dialysis is also skyrocketing due to diabetes).

I have to say THANK YOU to WonlaDusza for re-quoting this section because this was a big part of the conversation that got lost in the noise...
    Real food?

By real food, I mean largely unprocessed. No seed oils high in omega 6 fatty acids. Nothing what I would term "hyperpalatable." Nothing with added sugar, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes. Real grass-fed dairy, meat, pastured eggs.

If I am going to cheat, it is going to homemade with real ingredients! Take a look at processed cookies on the shelf and see if you can find a single package without soybean oil instead of real butter.

I'm super excited for the holidays... I'm already planning some homemade egg nog!

hmmm so you are saying the rest of us eat "fake" food…?

You do realize that all food has chemicals in it, right?

oh and there is no different between "added" sugar and "natural" sugar, they are all the same and treated as your body as such….

LOL, yes, I'm aware of how the body reacts to sugar, yes, I know all food has "chemicals" in it

If you're not sure what I mean by real food, you are welcome to ask....

per my original post, read *open-minded* as code for humble, critical-thinking, not assuming you know it all, not afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended)...

yes, please define "real" food …?

If you know that all sugar is treated the same by your body, then you are you advocating avoiding "added" sugar….[/quote]

I cringe when people use terms like 'real food' like they're better than other people who choose to eat food that doesn't fit into their limited range of what they deem to be acceptable. There are of course food types that are more nutritious than others, but there is no such thing as fake food. If you can eat it, it's 100% real. Demonising certain foods just isn't healthy. And no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it.

Ok, let me get this straight, "if you can eat it, it's real?"

Even if it an entirely new chemical compound, created only by humans, with proven, severe effects on health (increased risk for cardiovascular and metabolic disease)? A compound found in a majority of processed foods for decades? (Lots and lots of us ate it and continue to eat it.... and a lot of it).

I'm talking about trans fats. They are a by-product of an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil in order to make it solid at room temperature and more shelf stable. NOW we know that they are absolutely horrible for you. NOW the data is coming out, the FDA is slowly taking steps to reduce them... slowly...

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

You say, "no food is bad for you unless you eat too much of it"? Actually, trans fat is a case in point where actually there is NO recommended daily limit. The answer is just ZERO.

This is just one example of the difference between real and processed foods. I never used the term "fake." It popped into your head when you read "real." But yeah, when I see that "blueberries" in muffins are made of " sugar, corn syrup, starch, hydrogenated oil, artificial flavors, artificial food dye blue No. 2 and red No. 40," I definitely think "fake."

While the term "real food" might make you cringe... I cringe the more I learn about the food industry's cheap tactics and irresponsibility. Chemicals are tested and synthesized by industry, intensifying flavors from nature, with the exact purpose of making it so intense that you crave it.

Personally, I would rather cut out the lab-created, chemical flavors and enjoy the nuances of nature. Taste an apple and actually enjoy its intense sweetness. It takes time to adjust the palate, but now I'm at the point where asparagus actually does seem to have overtones reminiscent of birthday cake LOL[/quote]

....................................................................................................

No, not all food is REAL.

This dude seriously wouldn't admit that industrially-created trans fats were horrible and in no way fit for human consumption! (Yet, they are found in pretty much any food that has the word "hydrogenated" on the ingredients list).

These posters sound like trolls for the food industry... but maybe I shouldn't give them that much credit. Maybe they are just brainwashed by years and years of inundation from mass marketing which started in their fragile childhood years.

I just finished watching Dr. Lustig's new documentary Fed Up. Please check it out if you have the time. It may inspire you to see that the problem is so much bigger than our individual struggles with weight loss... and our children are the most innocent of victims.

http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

Of course, it doesn't cover all the ground, but I strongly believe that REAL food is the answer to both our epidemic and our individual struggles with weight loss. Excess carbs (especially added sugar) and not enough protein and fats in the diet, fuel insulin release, hunger, and weight gain. This is the real science. A calorie is not a calorie--this is false advertising pushed on us by industry. REAL food has the natural balance of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates that our bodies need. Nourish your body with REAL food, and you will feel satisfied and lose weight.

Truth

e76860e263daf00b34f7269119cc6a5f.jpg
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I know right what your talking about. I stopped eating at fast food drive ups, given up coffee and sodas when I started my calorie count.Really only drink water, unless I'm out and decide on some wine. Very rarely, stay away from processed foods. I don't buy low fat....what ever because it's not unprocessed. Going with the whole foods, and for awhile I got into the organic but is too expensive for me. I have to say with all those changes, I do feel healthier body and mind.