Serious Question for MILFS (pics)

Options

Replies

• omgeezthatscrazy
    Options
    I have two dogs, one needs a leash and the other just casually strolls next to me. I have two boys never leashed, keep my mom-eye on them and always used good judgement when walking. No distractions, cell calls, texting, keep both eyes on your children, teach them street safety and yes they are never too young to learn. If you can teach them "HOT" or "clean up time" you can teach them what the side walk is for.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I never used one nore will I ever!! IF your child is a "bolter" then they shouldn't be walking around. They should be in a stroller. and if they are defiant kids than some discipline needs to be done and they also need to HIGHLY taught of the dangers of "bolting" away from mommy OR daddy.
    IF your child is Autistic then placing them on a leash isnt going to do much but upset them more... Put them in a stroller with seat belts...
    I think children are human, not canine, and (with intelligent enough parents) are capable of being taught not to run off. If they are not old enough to be taught not to run off, they are probably not old enough to walk very long distances anyway and should either be carried or in a stroller....Children also have hands, not paws, that can be held when walking places.
    If the child is running off they are clearly not getting appropriate discipline and teachings from the parent. My daughter not allowed to leave the house without holding our hands They ignored She has ignored me on a few occasion to test me, and we went home. period. Eventually she got it.. and how dangerous it is out...

A leash for a chid is not the answer because it is only temporarily solving the problem it is not teaching the child anything. The child needs to be free to walk in order to teach safety, and right from wrong.

AND the reason we put them on our dogs is cause ITS THE LAW!!!! I have 2 large German Shepherds, both which I have trained very well, they are OFF leash trained and walk by my side 100% of the time, and aren't distracted by anything... BECAUSE THEY ARE TRAINED/taught AND DISCIPLINED! .I would love to walk them off leash BUT the law says i cant!

Other people may have already responded to this but I would much rather have my kids out and about, walking, and getting exercise, even if they are wearing a harness, than stuck in a stroller. I think we keep our kids in strollers way too long and that contributes to our obesity problem. I've seen kids as old as 6 sitting in strollers. I'll take a harness any day.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I've never understood why you leash children.

Dogs don't understand they shouldn't do things, and law requires it, therefore, leash them.

Children aren't dogs, so don't treat them as such.

Teach your children right, and be capable of outrunning them, which just about any adult can do.

Do you have kids, dude? Kids don't understand they shouldn't do things.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Safety restraints serve a good purpose. What is the difference between seat belts and leashes?
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When the number of toddlers out numbers the number of adults or the one adult is stressed/distracted. I am from Alaska and traveled to Hawaii with my 2 year old toddler. While I was paying one of our Hotel bills, she ran out the auto sliding doors into the street. A taxi driver saved her life. And, out came the harness or I slapped her into a stroller. I was just too stressful for me. However, I think that the only time you need it is from about walking to about 3. After that, they should listen.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Safety restraints serve a good purpose. What is the difference between seat belts and leashes?
    Well, dogs don't wear seatbelts, so people have no irrational hangup about them...
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    Wow, there are so many perfect parents on here. I am in awe. I know where to come for any decisions I need to make about my kids. Phew. Thank goodness.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It is NEVER appropriate to leash your child. They are not dogs! Why don't you just throw them in a kennel and be done with it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is NEVER appropriate to leash your child. They are not dogs! Why don't you just throw them in a kennel and be done with it.
    You have no kids, right?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Lose your kid to a traffic accident the one time they pull away from you, and you'll regret being a judgmental **** for the rest of your life.

I can't think of any way you'd ever regret keeping your kid safe, other than facing judgment from a bunch of ********* who think nothing bad can ever happen to them.

Disclaimers: Was not harnessed as a kid, myself. Yes, I have a kid of my own, doesn't walk yet. Don't know if we'll use a harness. Have lost family members to accidents. If some kind of "gross" or "inappropriate" device could have saved their lives, I would go back in time and make them use it.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lose your kid to a traffic accident the one time they pull away from you, and you'll regret being a judgmental **** for the rest of your life.

I can't think of any way you'd ever regret keeping your kid safe, other than facing judgment from a bunch of ********* who think nothing bad can ever happen to them.

Disclaimers: Was not harnessed as a kid, myself. Yes, I have a kid of my own, doesn't walk yet. Don't know if we'll use a harness. Have lost family members to accidents. If some kind of "gross" or "inappropriate" device could have saved their lives, I would go back in time and make them use it.

Judgmental? It's called an opinion. This forum asked for opinions, not just your accepted opinion. I now think you are the **********
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why you leash children.

Dogs don't understand they shouldn't do things, and law requires it, therefore, leash them.

Children aren't dogs, so don't treat them as such.

Teach your children right, and be capable of outrunning them, which just about any adult can do.

aaaaaaaaaaaand. They can outrun adults sometimes.

ETA: After reading OP I think he's embarrassed to have his kids in these and might be questioning his wifes judgement and brought it to the boards. I think in general OP many of the husbands of MFP can tell you to just agree with whatever your wife says, for your own sanity, the sanctity of your family, and any chance of getting boom-boom at a later date.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    When is it appropriate to harness your child and at what age(s)?
    When your child is a dog. I know kids who were never harnessed. Their parents kept a watchfull eye on them. And at a very young age you could notice the child was being careful too. Sure some parents who leash their kids are watchful, but it seems their kids aren't and don't 'harness' this concept until a much older age. I vote for avoiding them. I've also heard it looks ridiculous and smothering to some people.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says these should never be used:

Your opinion would change in a heartbeat if your child ever got injured or killed in a situation where one of these could have saved them. Seriously, why be against something designed to protect a child ... especially the little ones who are too young to know any better?

If the thing wrapped around their neck, maybe you might have a reason to scream for a new design. But seriously, these things are made to appeal to the children. I've seen some very cute ones out there that makes it look like the child look like they are giving a piggy-back ride to a stuffed animal.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    My sister packs one for my 3 year old nephew when hes out with me...

I take him out all the time and I have never had to use it. Although he knows not to push me so I guess I have just taught them well lol (not saying that parents who use them have disobediant kids)

Not fussed though, someone elses kid, il use anything to make sure I get him/her home in one peice!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Time and a place for everything. In the 50s and 60s when I grew up we did not have them, and I am sure we felt we did not need them. But then we did not have or need cell phones either. I wonder if the woman whose child fell in the dog cage at the zoo wished her child was leashed. If I was going go to a dangerous area then yes I would consider it. Just as I would consider taking my cell phone.

Actually, Margaret Mead used one on her daughter.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You have no kids, right?

I have lots of kennels: Stroller, High Chair, Play Yard. Sometimes you just need to do something with both hands or use the rest room.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    After reading OP I think he's embarrassed to have his kids in these and might be questioning his wifes judgement and brought it to the boards. I think in general OP many of the husbands of MFP can tell you to just agree with whatever your wife says, for your own sanity, the sanctity of your family, and any chance of getting boom-boom at a later date.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the correct answer to OP's question.

/endthread
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

^^ This! We bought our daughter a harness/leash before she could even walk. Why? Because when kids are walking, even as they get older, they don't always do what they KNOW they should do...of course... there are still adults that have the same problems!!

I love my daughter and want to keep her safe. If that means being criticized for having her on leash, so be it. I'd rather someone think I'm "awful" than have her abducted or ran over.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You have no kids, right?

No she doesn't, and according with her profile she is thankful of not having any because she "has not time for that money pit".

In my book, and considering her way of thinking, she is not qualified to give her opinion in this matter, even a hideous one.