Serious Question for MILFS (pics)

Options

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Children are not dogs!" Yet some are saying that parents should be able to control them...shall we sign them up for obedience classes, or take them to the yard and teach them how to obey commands or they don't earn a treat?
    3 boys, first wasnt very active, and the ex *****ed about having a harness. He also wasnt the one chasing him.
    2nd had a thing for cars. He wasn't disobedient or 'ill trained", he was a normal child with a like for cars. Harness was used.
    My hubs was very against a harness for our 18 month old...right till the little angel started leading us where he wanted to go, and he saw the potential for danger.
    Id say the only opinion you should consider is the one of your wife. She wants it on your child. I REALLY wouldn't buck that.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Don't have a kid, but will never ever ever put a leash on one. Unless it's a training tether while teaching him to ski.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The only thing people seem to have against them is that they look like dog leads. So it's all about appearances. I just think that is pretty shallow and people should get over that and stop sneering at those of us who decided to use what in the end are a simple safety tool, not some form of torture. No-one is making you use one, just asking you to stop judging people who do. I just find the 'dehumanising' argument completely incomprehensible and over the top given that little that we do in modern childrearing is naturally human eg putting babies to bed in a different room from the parents/ travelling in cars/ putting kids in strollers etc

Has any person really looked back on childhood pics and said to their parents 'I felt really dehumanised when you made me wear that harness'?

Why can't you hold your childs hand? Or watch where they are going? Tell them off if they run off? Why use a rein?
    You will not get very far in life or haven't if you can't handle other opinions on things. It's no different to breast feeding vs formula, dummy vs no dummy, co sleeping, controlled crying, walkers, feeding before 6 months ect. You need to stop taking things to heart and stop being so convinced you've got it right.
    You wouldn't be so touchy on this subject if you felt you was doing the right thing. You'd just state your opinion and move along like everybody else.

Edited to delete because I can't be arsed :smokin:
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Id never put my kid on a leash...but thats just me.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My 2 kids are 20 months apart. My son was incredibly active as as a toddler and would take off if something caught his eye so if we went out to a crowded place - carnival, amusement park, etc. so he didnt get separated from me - or walking on a sidewalk he wore a similar monkey back pack. Sometimes it was impossible to hold his hand every second, carry an infant and/or push a stoller at the same time and knowing he couldn't take off the second I let go of his hand was a lifesaver. I put the loop around my wrist and held his hand at the same time and eventually just wearing the pack which had a pocket for small toys, was enough to keep him from running off and the rein was unneccesary - around age 3. My daughter preferred to be carried when she was a toddler so she never wore it with the rein attached but would have if she was a runner like her big brother.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    or take them to the yard and teach them how to obey commands or they don't earn a treat?
    Pretty common for kids to get rewarded with a food-treat if they behave as asked, I thought.

Certainly when I was a kid I'd be expected to behave if I wanted the ice cream or whatever when out.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Id never put my kid on a leash...but thats just me.
    That being said i baby wear my infant and my 3yo and 6 yo hold my hands. i also give them freedom to roam & be kids. (but of course we hold hands and are careful if theres traffic, a big crowd, etc).
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Don't have a kid, but will never ever ever put a leash on one. Unless it's a training tether while teaching him to ski.

I was a children's ski instructor - ski tethers can be very dangerous,. Even if you use it properly, other skiiers don't always pay attention to their surroundings and can injure a child using a tether. Also, they make the learning process take longer. If you want your kid to ski, get them on the mountain at age 3 or 4, sign them up for a lesson or tell them to put their hands on their knees, skis in a pizza slice and follow you while making big slow turns down the bunny slope. Their center of gravity is so low at that age, that kids can learn the basics in a few hours and ski from the top in 2-5 lessons.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    They are not brats they are 26 and 24.
    I don't know your children so I'm not saying this is or isn't true for them, but age doesn't necessarily mean someone isn't a brat. My boyfriend is a huge brat most of the time, and he's almost 26. Giving someone's age isn't a reasoning for why they are not a brat.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't know your children so I'm not saying this is or isn't true for them, but age doesn't necessarily mean someone isn't a brat. My boyfriend is a huge brat most of the time, and he's almost 26. Giving someone's age isn't a reasoning for why they are not a brat.

I know what you are getting at, but they are seriously not brats, they are adults living with their boyfriends, both have responsible jobs and are unselfish and hardworking.

Regarding keeping them in control when little, at 12 months old, they did not touch either my ornaments or anybody else's when I went to visit people. They were both potty trained by 14 months and were as good as gold.

No, my daughters are not brats. This thread really is now getting ridiculous.
  • crista_b
    Options

I know what you are getting at, but they are seriously not brats, they are adults living with their boyfriends, both have responsible jobs and are unselfish and hardworking.

Regarding keeping them in control when little, at 12 months old, they did not touch either my ornaments or anybody else's when I went to visit people. They were both potty trained by 14 months and were as good as gold.

I bolded the first part of my statement, and you still missed it.... I said that I wasn't saying my statement was about your children, just that age doesn't mean someone isn't a brat. That's a general statement because you used their ages to say that they weren't.

You really need to relax. Have a flower and chill. :flowerforyou:
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nobody has yet answered my question as to how a woman who is pushing a very young baby in a pram is supposed to hold onto the pram and onto the hand of a toddler walking beside her yet........

..... then of course, what about when looking around the grocery store......

S0me people obviously have more than one pair of hands, I salute you.

Hey If you can't manage them, maybe you should have thought of that before you got knocked up.

Lady you and all your answers are totally out of place and plain insulting. I think that you are hungry go and eat something.

I think you're trying to change the subject because you have run out of points to debate. You know it's true. If you want to have kids, take care of them and stop whining. Otherwise, wear a condom.

Wow, just wow. I have a hard time believing that someone would resort to such rudeness and disrespect. No one whined. People were just making the point that you can't hold a child's hand ALL the time and children will naturally try to go explore their surroundings and sometimes get themselves in dangerous situations as a result. Some parents decide to use restraints in order to keep their children safe. I get that not everyone agrees with that, but you just went over the line.

I hope your method of contraception never fails.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

I bolded the first part of my statement, and you still missed it.... I said that I wasn't saying my statement was about your children, just that age doesn't mean someone isn't a brat. That's a general statement because you used their ages to say that they weren't.

as asked earlier, could you then please inform me how somebody would push a pram and hold onto a toddler's hand whilst going to the shops without fear that the kiddie will suddenly pull away and run int the road before the mother coiuld leave the pram whilst sticking the brake on so it didn't roll down the hill and into oncoming traffic and then manage to get the toddler back to safety?

I know yu were talaking about my own daughters in particular, but you were addressing my posting, therefore I answered you and I was not rude.

and I am chilled :)
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just babywear!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This thread is great - you yanks are mental.

I have some of the most highly trained dogs it is possible to have (working Border Collies), my neighbour is in his 60s and has been training gundogs all his life. I am pretty involved in the world of working dogs generally. I also have a 4 year old.

I dont think the fact that we leash dogs has anything to do with children, but both can run off at a moments notice. I'm pretty fit, but I know my 4 year old can vanish off pretty quickly. If I lived in a town I would definitley have one of these things because I cannot catch a toddler over a 5 yard dash where she has a 5 yard head start.

Also: To the people who say they never leash their dogs either because they are (wrongly) convinced that they have total control over that dog at all times - Don't let me catch you walking your dog off a leash near my livestock. I like dogs and therefore am unwilling to resort to shooting dogs (which I am perfectly entitled to do if they are not under control - and I interpret that to mean 'not leashed'). I much prefer to give the owner a verbal ear-bashing instead. The ammount of times I have caught people and asked them to leash their dog, only for them to tell me they havent got a leash with them is amazing.
  • crista_b
    Options

as asked earlier, could you then please inform me how somebody would push a pram and hold onto a toddler's hand whilst going to the shops without fear that the kiddie will suddenly pull away and run int the road before the mother coiuld leave the pram whilst sticking the brake on so it didn't roll down the hill and into oncoming traffic and then manage to get the toddler back to safety?

I know yu were talaking about my own daughters in particular, but you were addressing my posting, therefore I answered you and I was not rude.

and I am chilled :)
    Okay, first of all, the amount of spelling and grammatical errors in your post makes it very hard to read.

Second, why are you directing that question at me? This conversation we're having has nothing to do with that; it's solely about ages of people who are or aren't brats.

Third, I never said you were rude. I said that you need to relax. You keep angrily posting the same **** on this board and acting very mad if/when someone disagrees with you. That's why you need to relax. I'm not judging those who use child leashes just because I wouldn't want to, and there's no reason to judge those who simply disagree with the idea without being rude.

I'm not even going to bother trying to talk to you anymore. You're just being ridiculous and reading/responding to things that I'm not even saying.

I'm amazed this thread hasn't been locked yet with how judgmental and rude people are being.
  • crista_b
    Options
    After reading OP I think he's embarrassed to have his kids in these and might be questioning his wifes judgement and brought it to the boards. I think in general OP many of the husbands of MFP can tell you to just agree with whatever your wife says, for your own sanity, the sanctity of your family, and any chance of getting boom-boom at a later date.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the correct answer to OP's question.

/endthread

Love it when someone arrogantly puts "endthread" and then it continues for another 4 pages
    I wasn't being arrogant; it was a joke because the statement was funny. The only reason I have continued in this thread was because I pointed out a flaw in an unrelated argument, and the poster got p*ssed at me for no reason.

There's no need to be rude.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I'm like a moth to a flame. I just keep coming back, lol.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    There was a debate about this a while back on the debate forums.. You can't 'win'. Invariably this comes down to personal preference because otherwise it just degenerates into an "I'm a better parent than you" thread.

People can't actually have this discussion - it's as bad as religion and politics. There's always one (or more) people who take someone else's OPINION as a personal affront to everything they believe in. You can't discuss anything in a rational manner with (a) fanatic(s).
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I never used a leash or tether on my kids.

I think it's the rare child who truly needs such restraint, otherwise I tend to think it's lazy parenting.

I am laughing as to why the thread is addressed to MILF's though....:happy: