WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    my husband is working on turkey day (shift 1-9pm) so it'll be me n the dogs. he works for Virginia Mason hospital in Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well today has been interesting.. went to see my DFIL,and he made me feel wonderful,i asked him if he remembered who I was and he said yes "the maid" he cant remember my real name if one of the nurses brings it up he does, anyway he said you have always taken such good care of me...and that he appreciates it.. told him wish his son did...
    then went to work.. around 2 or so started feeling funny and i was assisting the Dr, I excused myself and Zina grabbed my arm and brought me into the other room to sit down,one of the girls got me a drink of water, and another a small juicebox of apple juice.. after that felt much better..
    the Dr called from when I went in on Weds, said it was borderline infection so is putting me on antibiotics, told her about todays episode and she said if that happens again,to go to the ER. well that wont fly with the DH, think he would rather have me keel over than pay the copay for that..
    he still isnt talking to me and that is fine...im in my room, with a cup of tea and stuff to read and will go to sleep...
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday and Oh joy my scales says I have lost a pound since yesterday. I decided to add Wii Gold's boxing before breakfast and seems to be doing the trick.
    Training today is: 40 mins Wii Gold's boxing (Special, top level) 30 mins JJ's Circuit B for back, Bis and thighs, 1 hour doggy walk = 849 cals. Doctor INSISTS I walk for 1 hour every afternoon no matter what else i do. ;)
    Food is logged at 2038 clas as can have 5 chocolates as treat tonight. :D
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie, I don't know, he sounds more like just H rather than DH. Take care.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good eve. Will ans to what I remember.... :\ But the "mind" is nothing to brag about!

VIv,my sympathy.So sorry to hear what you are going thru.Take care & let your loved ones help.

Heather,you look so pretty! Like Carol said,my upper arms need to hide themselves :p Your anniv dinner sounded yummy.Looks like a nice place to wander around.What does your full English breakfast consist of. Seem to remember from reading......potatoes,eggs,toast,sausage & bacon. Then I'm lost.

Carol,Happy Birthday.Hope you have a nice day.

Another post cut in 1/2.......really not liking this " better," update
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    stats for the day.. i'm not even hungry, i should be....
    Ride hm 2 gym- 13.24min 13.3amph 3mi
    expresso extreme trail- gut buster- 49.21min, 154aw, 13.4amph, 11.03mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.22min 11.7amph 1.5mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.08min 8.7amph 2.6mi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :D One of my line dance friends who loves to knit wanted to knit some hats for needy children. Somehow she managed to volunteer to knit 43 hats for the children at Head Start. This morning she called me and asked if she could make an announcement in line dance class this morning to see if anyone can help her by knitting some hats since she just realized that she'll never finish that many hats in a month. I have a lot of colorful acrylic yarn and I found my hat patterns and needles and started knitting this afternoon. I found out that I can knit and ride my recumbent exercise bike so I'll be doing a bit of multi-tasking for the next few weeks. :D

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Viv :) So very sorry to hear about your husband! Sending prayers and good thoughts to you :flowerforyou:!

Heather :) Thank you for letting us know about Viv! Happy anniversary :flowerforyou: <3 !!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip, and you look marvelous:smokin:!

Alison :) I`m really worried for you. Are you sure you`re safe? No one should have to live with someone who is that uncaring! Do you think your episode today was caused by stress? :flowerforyou:

Vicki :) I hope your DDIL will recover soon :flowerforyou:. What a scary thing to have happen! So glad your DH is feeling better! Enjoy the weekend with your granddaughter!

Katla :) I hope you`ll post pics of you in your sassy new boots :smokin:!

Kim :) Wish you lived closer, I would play matchmaker and set you up with one of my guy friends, he`s handsome, he`s an artist, I think he`s around 58 years old and he has a fabulous motorcycle!!! I love him <3 , but only as friend!

Joyce :) Hope everything is okay with Charlie :flowerforyou:!

Beth :) I`ve seen all the snow on the news :noway:, wow…..Hope you stay safe and warm!!!!

Michele :) I`m glad Jess is getting to spend some time with Lance <3 !

Carol :) Happy happy birthday my friend! Hope you`ve had a wonderful day!

Margaret :) Fabulous advice!

Diana :) Hope you enjoyed your ice cream! Congrats on realizing you can have it and still be under calories :bigsmile:!!!

Terri :) Great shopping tips!

Sylvia :) Glad hubby is feeling better today!

Katiebug :) Great advice for Alison!

Lesley :) Congrats on the pound gone (*) !

Barbie :) How nice of you to help with the knitting! What a wonderful gift for those children! Knitting and riding your bike at the same time…I`m impressed!

I know I missed a lot of people tonight, know that I`m thinking about everyone and wishing all well <3 !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! My son and I took the kids bowling this evening. What fun!!! They had such a great time. None had ever been bowling before. The five year old was so cute. He kept talking to the young couple in the next lane, telling them "that was a good try!" And giving them advice. They were laughing so hard they could hardly manage to bowl at all. And DGS kept the alley employees busy by rolling his ball so slowly that it completely stopped about half way down. He did that three times! I haven't had that much fun in ages. Hubby met us at the bowling alley after work and we all went to dinner.

The reason we went was that the drunken step mother was on another rampage, so it took their minds off the scary stuff.

Well, here is today's joke of the day:

:)

"Honey," said this husband to his wife, "I invited a friend home for supper."

"What? Are you crazy? The house is a mess, I didn't go shopping, all the dishes are dirty, and I don't feel like cooking a fancy meal!"

"I know all that."

"Then, why did you invite a friend for supper?"

"Because the poor guy is thinking about getting married."

:D

Good night everyone!

Sylvia

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather, your view from your room is beautiful.

Ah, Viv, dear Viv. I have been thinking of what to say but there are no words except I am sorry.

Sylvia, is there a way you can adjust the temp at night so that it isn't as cold in the morning and wouldn't take so long for your studio warm up. You are such a good Grandma. You having trouble with your coat and purse will stay with them. How you reacted to it will teach them to laugh at mistakes instead of get mad. Some day they will be sitting reading, watching TV or anything and they will remember that and laugh. Mom and Dad will ask them what is funny and they will recount what Grandma did and you all had a laugh together.

Thanks for all the concern over Charlie. It has been several years that I have thought he was depressed. I told our doctor about it and when Charlie had his next appointment he was fine with the doctor. Just like his Mom, he knew all the right answers when they were needed. I know he hated his work atmosphere, not all the employees but the atmosphere, the rules made by heirarchy but not observed. He has a complex about people who get better pay just because they have a piece of paper with some letters on it. He is very opinionated about politics and let's just say it isn't going his way. He is very verbal about the 'inconsistences of the world', people who only slow down at stop signs, pull out in front of you in traffic although he does the exact same thing. He just has this utopia type world he sees happening but yet if it did happen he would find something wrong with it. He hates it that we put our dog down many years ago, says he didn't give him a chance although it broke his heart to see him the way he was. He gently carried him down the stairs to go potty. He blames himself for not seeing things going on with his Mom in the nursing home and she died shortly after. I could go on and on. He says he believes in God and is a born again Christian yet he curses him repeatedly even to the point of saying F*** you God. He lives to do his Karaoke but says he won't go back to a particular place if he didn't get enough applause. If I try to talk to him about the fact that he can't control who is there on any night he just calls me a B***h.

Went over to my sister's house today to work on my ornaments for my daughters. For the new ones here I am taking clear ornaments and decorating them with mine and my Mom's jewelry that I deconstructed. I got both of them finished. I used a paint pen to color one blue for Michelle's to make it more personal for her. She is a huge Colt's fan. I even took some white beads to make the Colt's insignia. I was so proud of it until Charlie told me I had the horse shoe upside down. I am going to try to take them off and put it the right way. If I can't we will just have a good laugh about it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Blythe77: Welcome. The vast majority of the women in this group are over 50 and we’ve seen amazing results despite age and adversity. Stick around to give and get support. You can succeed. Persistence is the key. :flowerforyou:

Dreamwriter: Many of us have lost posts. I open a word document on my desktop next to the 50+ thread and write my posts on my word document. Then I copy it and paste it into the comment box. It has saved me from a lot of frustration. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love your travel photos. I get to see the world through your eyes right here at home. :heart:

Alison: I’m keeping you in my prayers. Hugs. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Terri in Milwaukee: Excellent shopping advice, especially about shopping alone. I was born to say no, and DH was born to say lets get two instead of one. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I’m thinking of Viv, too. :broken_heart:

Barbie: I can picture you riding, knitting, and watching TV all at once. You are a wonder. :bigsmile:

I had a good time today. DH & I took my car in for a service, and went to the Portland Nursery and looked at plants while we waited. More accurately, I looked at plants. DH looked at gardening tools, and the like. He bought several things, and the plants I looked at are all still at the garden center. This is true to form much of the time. :laugh: We both had a great time. After we got home, I went to my riding lesson. I’m learning a lot and really enjoy the teacher. She’s very patient with me. :blush:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of the deep water class today. Tomorrow's plan is to do the Bob Harper Inside Out DVD.

Welcome everyone new!

pipcd - I remember once a few years ago I had to go for a stress test. The nurse said my hr was at 140. It sure didn't feel it to me. Anyway, the other nurse there was amazed at how fast my hr came down. Well, that's a good thing. I guess she just doesn't see that very much.

Lesley - I got my HRM a few years ago, only that was when I broken the bone in my foot so I couldn't do the tests that were needed to program the HRM. Still just haven't gotten to it.

Heather - how I love traveling vicariously thru you. Thanks for sharing your journeys with us.

Sunday we go to see TSO in concert. Lynette has made reservations at Ruby Tuesday for us for dinner. You know what was one of my first thoughts? "What can I have for breakfast that's low cal?" Well, I know that I'll have a chicken patty also because that causes me to drink and I suspect I probably should be drinking more water.

Had breakfast then stopped at Bi-Lo for a few things, they didn't have one of the things I wanted but it'll be on sale for a while yet, so that's OK. Then exercised, went to th Salvation Army and found a blouse and sweater I might like. If not, I can always re-donate it, so I don't mind spending the $3 on the sweater. Came home and made these ham, egg and cheese things for Jess, then went to mahjongg with my neighbor. These are just the mahjongg lessons. I do hope she joins. Afterwards home to prepare dinner, then I'll clean up a bit.

Heather - your husband is such a wonderful guy! So sorry this whole Phillipines-situation is happening

kiki - do you go to a foam rolling class or do you do a DVD of it?

barbie - multitasking and for such a good cause! That's just wonderful of you!

Sylvia - how sweet to tell the people in the next lane "good try". I can just see it and that makes me smile

Jess called, she's on her way down here. She said that Lance is doing better than he was the day she took him home. I'm just hoping that she isn't getting her hopes up. He still has the underlying medical issues, that tumor is still there. Ahhh...we worry about our kids.

Michele in NC
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Today was a better day although it started with a petty note taped to my computer. I was asked what I was going to do about it. Hmmm...nothing. He is just young and trying to make his bones.
    Went to Costco with DD for groceries and picked up a few things for Christmas as well as the steaks for DS birthday celebration. We had to move up the date because of DGDs ballet performance on day of and day after and then we are leaving to go for DHs colongraphy
    MN Margaret - The situation I referenced didn't involve any children even if I did call one individual a girl. It all could have been avoided if the one in power had listened at all.

Alison - Keep strong

Barbie - That is so great of you to help with the knitting of those hats.

Viv - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Let those around you raise you up. Keeping you in my prayers.

Sylvia - Glad that everyone had so much fun bowling. Laughter is the best medicine.

-Sharon from Lethbridge where the sun shone nicely all day long
    only a hoodie required.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I woke up around 4;45 this morning..just messing about on the computer and will go through the circulars for grocery shopping...
    2 pf the girls texted me to see if I got home alright and if I needed anything this weekend to give them a ring...I thought that was so nice,my DSILsaid the same thing, she said you have done so much for us,please let us do something for you..
    told her if I needed anything I will holler.
    got a note from our across the street neighbor in florida,asking if we gave permission to pick our lemons,because the neighbor next door picked a whole bunch as they were leaving for Ontario soon..well isnt that just wonderful.. I dont mind people taking a few but not the whole darn tree :# ,Tom caught them in the act a few years ago..and he said the same thing..
    I am going to take it easy today, and unfortunatly have to talk to Tom about ordering christmas presents for the girls, we also send a gift card to the older ones stepbrother, he calls us grandma and grandpa and we dont want him being left out..
    I know one of you ask if my son was his son.. no this is my second marriage so he has no biological children, he did help raise his first wifes daughter, so that is where the other 2 grandaughters come into play..
    we dont have much contact with her because she has really done some rotten things to her family..her ex boyfriend is the girls father and he married a wonderful gal, and they have raised those girls so very well. so we consider them family more so than Jillian.
    that episode yesterday scared me a bit.. think it might have been low blood sugar ,because after the juicebox I felt much better. just very odd..
    Barbie~ your amazing!!!! doing exercise and knitting at the same time..your A number 1 in my book....
    well off to look through the circulars, wish me luck with the old goat today !!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Just relaxing now after a good workout this morning. I'm watching a cookery programme. Fancy that! :laugh:
    I'm a pound up after my trip, but I reckon I've got about 800 calories to get rid of - the rest will be glycogen. (water)
    - DH has just set off for his football. The ex brother in law he had a go at is not going this week, so he will be on his own. He asked several people, but no one could make it. It's a long way to go just to sit by yourself. :( I will prepare a lamb and spinach curry for his return. I won't have any rice with mine. I think for lunch I will use shiritaki noodles as a base and do a garlicky prawn and chilli thing.
    - Even with oil it should come in at around 230 cals. Yum! :bigsmile:

Michele - I have been thinking about this Philippine situation a lot and part of me wants to step in and help, but I really must stand back. It's difficult to switch off. I so love DSIL, the child's grandmother.

DH'S very ancient aunt, around 90, rang just as he was going out of the door to say how excited dhe is about his 70th next October! We will have to reserve an easily accessible room for her! :tongue: Some of you may remember that he is an adopted child, but very much loved by his adoptive family. He was separated from his twin sister by the adoption and found her when he was in his forties.

For those of you who like following my travels, the church you can see in the photo from my window in Oxford, is where Bishop Cranmer recanted his earlier repudiation of the Protestant faith and was led out from there to be burnt at the stake. It was under Bloody Mary and several fellow bishops in Oxford had already been burnt. In the church there is a plaque to all the religious matyrs in Oxford. The nice thing is that there are both Protestant and Catholic matyrs on the plaque. A nice volunteer guide explained it all to us. What horrible days they were!

Got to start packing for going away tomorrow. I'm going on the train, if they are running OK. Weather doesn't look too good for tomorrow, but there is an indoor craft fair we can go to. Monday looks better so I hope to do some walking along the sea front, reliving my teenage years when I used to visit a boyfriend there every Saturday. I have booked nearby restaurants for the two nights.

Love to all. Heather in very gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    Heather, thank you for taking us along on your wonderful trip (and the several other wonderful ones before this). I've never been east of New York City and am unlikely to ever be so it has been fun traveling with you.

Sylvia, I don't like bowling but I would have enjoyed being with you and your grandkids.

Katla, when my hubby and I go "shopping" together, he's usually the one who buys something and I just look.

Michele, the last days with a beloved pet are so hard...you are so supportive of Jess and Lance.

:D Breakfast finished, time to suit up and get out the door with the first dog. :D No rain yet
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Rain rain rain, you are here, please stay!!!! Loving another day of rain

Lesley – glad you are finding success! I know it has been hard and I am so glad you are winning!

Team KiKi – I think sometimes the D can stand for things beginning with D other than darling….

Barbie – knitting and riding!!! What a great combo!

DeeDee – wish we lived closer too….

Sylvia – Great job on distracting everyone and having a great time… I meant to respond a day or so ago, would it make sense to get a programmable thermostat for the pottery location? Then the heat could be set to go off and on based on your schedule?

Joyce – poor you and poor Charlie; it is awful to live with that mess, but also sad that he doesn’t know the saying “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good” or how ever it exactly goes…

Alison - So glad that DSIL and the gals from the office are checking on you – you need to take them up on their offers; even if it is just a place to get away from DOG (Darn Old Goat) – I was laughing at the old goat comment

Heather – Good for you to pick the right place for you in the Philippine situation – tough mess that one is! I did not realize that DH was adopted how wonderful that he was able to find his sister too.

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • grandmallie
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    did a load of laundry and not much else,
    did order the girls christmas presents,made the older 2 photo blankets,that I think they will love.. not expensive either.. 35.00 a piece with living social.. they came out adorable...
    ordered the younger one some clothes and a few arts and craft things.
    trying to get a grocery list together and my menu for Thanksgiving.. and trying to figure out what to cook for the next 3 weeks before we go...
    I need prayers~ DFIL isnt well.. something is not going right,dont know if he his body is shutting down or the meds that they have had him on have messed him up,but we went down today and say a month ago he could talk and look around,now he is hunched over,cant really lift his head,talking gibberish,the CNA's say he doesnt even roll over for them anymore, he didnt eat his breakfast this morning.. and that worries more than anything because he likes his food...
    spoke with the nurse supervisor and he will call me later on, looking through his meds and see what is going on..
    I dont know if this is his time to go, of course Tom is blaming them for making mistakes,yes medication wise there could have been some.but can you really go that down hill in that amount of time?
    I am truly frightened...
    Toms mom passed in a nursing home but she had vasculitis and was on dyalisis(sp)personally if she had had a living will she wouldnt have had to go through all that cra*
    we have 3 weeks before we go to florida ,and I pray that he makes a speedy recovery
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Joyce - your Charlie reminds me of my grandfather. He was an awful father to my poor mother, but doted on me and was a great grandfather. Not so much to my brother. Everyone made excuses for my grandfather because he lost a leg in the trenches in WW1.

Alison - it could be the meds, but it could be his time to go. Sometimes they just don't have the will to go on. My mother went downhill and died within two weeks. We knew something was up when she lost interest in any food. I'm glad you are keeping an eye on the meds though. :flowerforyou:

DH'S team lost today. :cry: He will be home in half an hour. Lots of sympathy required and a lot of nodding when he tells me they were robbed. :tongue:

Heather in chilly Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    Options
    just spoke to Victor, he is the nursing supervisor on weekends..
    they have had the poor man on Depikote and Tramidol which are both heavy heavy duty drugs... I am going to have a few words with the nurses come monday..His Dr has taken him off those for 48 hrs and will get a full panel bloodwork to get to the bottom of it..
    I am horrified that they had him that drugged up..
    If I have to will go to the administrator...
    they have been doing well for so long and boom lets lay on the drugs ...
    well we shall see how the next 48 hrs go