Is Partying Worth It?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.
    Dude, you're a full time university student. You have two married parents who are probably supporting you. You are of normal weight. You assumedly have good health. You describe having a quality boyfriend who values you. And your major concern expressed in this thread is whether or not to go to a party.

Yeah. Don't worry. Someday life may actually throw you a curveball or expect you to solve a real problem. Or something. <OMG>

THIS!!!!!!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.
    Dude, you're a full time university student. You have two married parents who are probably supporting you. You are of normal weight. You assumedly have good health. You describe having a quality boyfriend who values you. And your major concern expressed in this thread is whether or not to go to a party.

Yeah. Don't worry. Someday life may actually throw you a curveball or expect you to solve a real problem. Or something. <OMG>

THIS!!!!!!

My frustration wasn't in respect to the party. I'm not that self-centered.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    umm you are cute?

as for the party, if you WANT to go then go, if you dont want to than dont.

Honestly I think you would have more fun at a dance club. No real pressure to drink if you dont want to and you can dance your booty off instead of standing around gossiping and watching other people get drunk.

People go to college parties to get drunk, not buy tupperware so be aware that is a factor and be prepared to leave if you think it may not be your cup of tea.

Tell your boyfriend to calm down, it doesnt matter if you go to a party or to the mailbox, anyone is liable to be flirted with at any time. It is only with in your control to reciprocate or not. You cant control others, only your own behaviour. Does he trust you?

did she say she likes dancing? i haven't seen that. i hate dance clubs.

I love dancing, actually. But not in clubs--BF wouldn't go with me anyway and I'm not about to dance with anyone else. BF hates dancing, which is unfortunate--especially when I wanted to join a swing club last year. Oh well, we all have to make compromises.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

I don't understand this sort of comment.

Just because somebody has a good life and no major issues, doesn't mean they can't ask a question about a minor issue.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Just because somebody has a good life and no major issues, doesn't mean they can't ask a question about a minor issue.

My point was, in 10 years she will indeed be more "jaded". So, if she already hates being an "adult" (supported by parents while attending college full time and worrying about fashion and parties) she'll undoubtedly enjoy it less as things get a bit more real.

yep, most likely.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!

Yeah ok. :laugh:
  • coasterphile
    coasterphile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A nice way to experience a party if you don't want to drink (you'll have plenty of opportunities once you're 21 ;) ) is to offer to be a designated driver. You'll have a good "excuse" not to partake and people will appreciate it. ( I'd hope) You will also be able to deal with any peer pressure to "just have one" if you know you're there to be responsible.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    OP is not in USA if I remember correctly.

Perfectly legal to drink at 18 in many countries ;)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

her location says illinois, so it isn't legal to drink.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can't even wrap my mind around putting this much thought into going to a party.
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You know what?
    Gaining new experiences, making a decision based on what YOU think, figuring out how YOU want to live YOUR life...?
    That is what makes it worth it.
    But really...
    You hang out with friends and have a few beers.
    You go home and life goes on.
    Partying is worth nothing.
    What you experience, discover, and get out of life is worth everything.
    You don't want to go because YOU don't want to?
    Then don't.
    But make sure that no one else is playing a factor in these decisions.
    Now is the time to find yourself.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well if you've never drank in your life and are planning on going to a college party, be careful. Make sure you're with good friends who will take care of you. And don't do shots lol! They'll hit you hard in a couple hours and you won't know a thing that happens till you wake up...which is the dangerous part.

Like some others have suggested, you don't need to drink to have fun. I used to DD mostly before I was 21, and let me tell you, it's entertaining!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Go at least once just so you know what you're missing - which isn't much in my opinion. Then, you won't have to look back and wonder. Make sure you've got somebody you trust to hang out with, and don't get drunk for your first time amongst a bunch of strangers. I think it's actually more fun to NOT be drunk. You can watch all the other animals act stupid. Stay safe and have fun. :)
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    So what happened? Did OP go to a party?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Yep, and now her man is so disappointed he's going to leave her.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

her location says illinois, so it isn't legal to drink.

Oh ok.

I thought she was in UK, must be getting her mixed up with some one else on another thread.
  • malavika413
    Options

THIS!!!!!!

Yeah ok. :laugh:

I'm neurotic, yes. Annoying, yes. Self-centered? I don't think so, but then again you don't know me from anything other than this thread.

There's just a lot of things pulling me in different directions. It's not so much about the party than the kind of person I want to be. Here, there's a sharp division between those who party and those who don't. For instance, I'm in a dance show and the leader asked everyone what kind of drinks they wanted. Naive me asked for a bottled water and everyone burst out laughing. It was quite embarrassing. So that part of me says 'get shitfaced like everyone else!' But I wouldn't be able to bear the disappointed look on my boyfriend's face if I admitted to drinking even a little.
  • malavika413
    edited December 2014
    Options

My point was, in 10 years she will indeed be more "jaded". So, if she already hates being an "adult" (supported by parents while attending college full time and worrying about fashion and parties) she'll undoubtedly enjoy it less as things get a bit more real.

There are plenty of real conflicts in my life. Granted, I'm very lucky for what I have--but when you're depressed it's difficult to see those things in times of stress. I wrote that comment out of exam frustration--finals are around the corner here. (No, I'm not thinking of going to parties during finals week, that would be stupid).
  • malavika413
    Options
    You know what?
    Gaining new experiences, making a decision based on what YOU think, figuring out how YOU want to live YOUR life...?
    That is what makes it worth it.
    But really...
    You hang out with friends and have a few beers.
    You go home and life goes on.
    Partying is worth nothing.
    What you experience, discover, and get out of life is worth everything.
    You don't want to go because YOU don't want to?
    Then don't.
    But make sure that no one else is playing a factor in these decisions.
    Now is the time to find yourself.

I guess I don't really know what I want to do. I'm used to making these sorts of choices for other people. I don't really have a lot of strong opinions, I generally just go with what people want me to do.
  • clone7
    clone7 Posts: 68
    Options
    yes. ALWAYS party...