Is Partying Worth It?

Options

Replies

• 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    FYI you are gorgeous. Give yourself the satisfaction and empowerment of loving yourself as a woman and embrace the inherent beauty.
  • MartyAlencar
    MartyAlencar Posts: 125 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I partied alot in college. I'm not sure I'd be the man I am today without having experienced all that went along with it.

Do what you wanna do, have fun and BE SAFE!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Youth is wasted on the young.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would say stay home, your definitely not ready. You've already convinced me that you don't want to go. So there is no reason to go and get all worked up and not have a good time.

When your ready to experience life outside of your comfort zone. Throw on some jeans, grab your friends and have a great time. You don't have to drink, smoke or what ever you "Think" goes on at parties. As others have said it's a celebration to have a good time not to see how wasted you can get.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Am I the only one that hates this line? I already feel old and dried-up. My youth was ages 0-12, and I miss them dearly and enjoyed them at the time they occurred.
  • MartyAlencar
    Options
    You may not hate this line 10 or 15 years from now....
  • malavika413
    Options

The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.
  • MartyAlencar
    edited December 2014
    Options
    An adult at 19?

I call shenanigans on this one.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    There is such a range of experiences for college parties. I went to a Liberal Arts university and the theatre fraternity threw the most amazing costume parties for halloween. It was this huge deal where they rented a venue and everyone was in character most of the night.

When I visited some friends that lived in a different college town and we went to a parties it was plastic cups of mystery yellow beer in someone's unreasonably dirty house (like gas station restroom dirty). If it's closer to the latter I would take a trusted friend along to make sure you can enjoy yourself but be safe. As others have said, you are under no obligation to drink while there. You are only young once, so you should go if you want to view it as some sort of rite of passage.
  • laurasuzie3
    laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. I'm just asking a question to the peanut gallery, trying to get a variety of opinions.

I'm nearly 20 and a college student. I have a lot of friends that like to party on the weekends (dorm parties, since there's no greek life at my school), and they always invite me. I've never gone, but I'm very curious. However, there are a few reasons that I've held back. I've never had a sip of alcohol in my life, so I don't know how I'd react to it. I don't know what to wear. I have a boyfriend that's very against alcohol and partying, and I'd either have to go behind his back or go knowing he'd be worried about me and my safety. Also, most girls go to parties to flirt with guys, which would dismay my boyfriend. I'm not attractive, so no one would hit on me, but still.

Is it worth going to a college party at least once? My friends really want me to go and experience it, and I am curious. What do you think?

I use to be very much like you. Be safe and cautious but don't let it stop you from having fun. College is suppose to be a time for fun and exploration so don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. If you want to try alcohol, it's YOUR decision. Not your parents', your friends', or your boyfriend's. If you decide to drink, PLEASE be safe. Things can get out of hand very quick.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. I'm just asking a question to the peanut gallery, trying to get a variety of opinions.

I'm nearly 20 and a college student. I have a lot of friends that like to party on the weekends (dorm parties, since there's no greek life at my school), and they always invite me. I've never gone, but I'm very curious. However, there are a few reasons that I've held back. I've never had a sip of alcohol in my life, so I don't know how I'd react to it. I don't know what to wear. I have a boyfriend that's very against alcohol and partying, and I'd either have to go behind his back or go knowing he'd be worried about me and my safety. Also, most girls go to parties to flirt with guys, which would dismay my boyfriend. I'm not attractive, so no one would hit on me, but still.

Is it worth going to a college party at least once? My friends really want me to go and experience it, and I am curious. What do you think?

I use to be very much like you. Be safe and cautious but don't let it stop you from having fun. College is suppose to be a time for fun and exploration so don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. If you want to try alcohol, it's YOUR decision. Not your parents', your friends', or your boyfriend's. If you decide to drink, PLEASE be safe. Things can get out of hand very quick.

it's funny how everyone keeps saying that college is about having fun. when did it change from being about actually learning something to be about having fun? college is such a joke to me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love partying. Why does your boyfriend think he can tell you what to do? You are your own person. I would get a boyfriend who doesn't think he's your boss and then I would go out and party with him!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    And I really don't understand this notion that just because you are dating someone you have to dress in like potato sacks and hide your body. Listen, no one owns you. It's your body. Not his. This is 2014. Women are people too, we're not belongings/toys/trophies for males. Looking attractive is not implied consent for random people to do things to you. I go places with or without my husband and I wear whatever I damn well please. He knows I'm not having sex with other men. He also knows he doesn't own me. I can't believe I'm having to even say this stuff.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.

already hate what?
  • malavika413
    edited December 2014
    Options

already hate what?

Never mind that comment, I was speaking out of exam stress. It's difficult being at a college where you're academically, emotionally, socially, and physically behind all your peers.
  • malavika413
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    And I really don't understand this notion that just because you are dating someone you have to dress in like potato sacks and hide your body. Listen, no one owns you. It's your body. Not his. This is 2014. Women are people too, we're not belongings/toys/trophies for males. Looking attractive is not implied consent for random people to do things to you. I go places with or without my husband and I wear whatever I damn well please. He knows I'm not having sex with other men. He also knows he doesn't own me. I can't believe I'm having to even say this stuff.

My boyfriend doesn't make me dress or act a certain way. I simply dress conservatively and avoid acting flirtatious or sexy out of respect for him. It's just one way I show my love. I also feel wearing baggy clothes will distract any male attention I might get (not very much in the first place).
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Interesting question - if you are curious and you really want to go, then GO. You don't have to drink simply because there is alcohol at a party - n where most girls (as you stated) go to parties to flirt, that doesn't have to be you. As far as dressing - dress as you feel comfortable and you feel sexy for yourself, not to fill the eye for others. Then there is the boyfriend issue - that is a sour subject for me - boyfriends, husbands, even dad's at some point have to know you are your own person and have to trust you enough to make good choices.
    - This is exactly what I would say to my 18 yr old daughter if she came to me with that question.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think partying is completely pointless. I can think of too many more constructive things to do with my time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

already hate what?

Never mind that comment, I was speaking out of exam stress. It's difficult being at a college where you're academically, emotionally, socially, and physically behind all your peers.

and yet you believe you have already finished your 'youth' aged 12?
  • malavika413
    Options

already hate what?

and yet you believe you have already finished your 'youth' aged 12?

Youth in the sense that life was fun till then. Now it's just sort of dragging on. Well, at least I don't have a mortgage to pay or kids to feed--yet.