Is Partying Worth It?

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Um, go to a party just to be social. If you like it, stay. If you don't leave. You don't have to drink to have a good time either and if you've never had a drink before, don't do it at a party.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You may not hate this line 10 or 15 years from now....

The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.

already hate what?

Never mind that comment, I was speaking out of exam stress. It's difficult being at a college where you're academically, emotionally, socially, and physically behind all your peers.

and yet you believe you have already finished your 'youth' aged 12?

Youth in the sense that life was fun till then. Now it's just sort of dragging on. Well, at least I don't have a mortgage to pay or kids to feed--yet.

you're doing something seriously wrong if you have no fun in your life...

yes, life is not all flowers and rainbows, but jeez, you should have a little fun to make up for all the *kitten* you have to go though!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

The point is, I'm really not all that young. I'm an adult and I already hate it. In 10 years I'm going to be even more jaded.

already hate what?

Never mind that comment, I was speaking out of exam stress. It's difficult being at a college where you're academically, emotionally, socially, and physically behind all your peers.

Youth in the sense that life was fun till then. Now it's just sort of dragging on. Well, at least I don't have a mortgage to pay or kids to feed--yet.

yes, life is not all flowers and rainbows, but jeez, you should have a little fun to make up for all the *kitten* you have to go though!

It's just that people say college is the best time of your life. For me, if that's the case, the rest of my life is going to be utter hell. Eh, maybe I'm just whining.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

already hate what?

It's just that people say college is the best time of your life. For me, if that's the case, the rest of my life is going to be utter hell. Eh, maybe I'm just whining.

you think!? :noway:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    And I really don't understand this notion that just because you are dating someone you have to dress in like potato sacks and hide your body. Listen, no one owns you. It's your body. Not his. This is 2014. Women are people too, we're not belongings/toys/trophies for males. Looking attractive is not implied consent for random people to do things to you. I go places with or without my husband and I wear whatever I damn well please. He knows I'm not having sex with other men. He also knows he doesn't own me. I can't believe I'm having to even say this stuff.

My boyfriend doesn't make me dress or act a certain way. I simply dress conservatively and avoid acting flirtatious or sexy out of respect for him. It's just one way I show my love. I also feel wearing baggy clothes will distract any male attention I might get (not very much in the first place).

What's wrong with getting attention from other men? Also, being sexy doesn't mean being flirtatious. It can mean a lot of things. I hope for damn sure other men besides my boyfriend find me sexy. Being sexy is about more than your clothes and flirtatious ways.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Live your life, your path should be determined by the combination of your head and your heart, neither exclusively. You are only young once. Do what YOU want to do, don't worry about other people's opinions, it's your life.

Parties are just another social opportunity. What you make of them is up to you.
  • coffeeebeanzzz
    coffeeebeanzzz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Partying every once in a while is worth it, in my opinion. I feel like it's just part of being a college kid. During my first year of college, I partied 3-4 nights per week (yeah it's a lot..don't judge. I don't recommend doing that to anyone starting college!!). Not only was the alcohol bad for my body, the drunchies & the desire to eat unhealthy food after drinking was even worse. Now I limit myself to goin out & drinking a few times a month & havin a beer every now & then. In other words, I think there is a good happy medium of having fun & going totally overboard. Just do whatever makes you feel healthy & happy:) Good luck:)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Sssooo... have you gone yet? If not, what are you waiting for? :'(
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

already hate what?

meh. i think that statement is false. i had fun in college, partied, graduated with decent grades, made some memories and lost some memories. But, I'm now 30 y/o and i am loving life even more now. i care so much less than i ever have what other people think of me. i feel more sure of myself, i feel more competent - so, i mean go to the party to experience it, but please don't fret if your college years aren't all the movies hype them up to be. the best of life is far in your future yet.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    What's wrong in seeking approval from those you care about?

Nothing.

And this whole I'll-do-exactly-as-I-please-to-gratify-my-personal-wishes-and-if-you-object-to-any-of-it-you're-controlling-insecure-potentially violent-and-so-now-we're-going-to-break-up routine is the reason why the US has such a successful rate of long term happy marriages and unbroken homes. That was sarcasm.
    I don't see myself as being 'unhappy' as a result, but rather, I see myself as agreeable and the kind of girl someone would want to commit to long-term.

You see clearly. But considering how men are as brainwashed as women by the narcissistic examples typed in my reply above, make sure you find a guy who's in line with how you feel and agrees with it. And make sure he understands he'll be expected (by you) to return the same courtesy, understanding and compromise you afford him within a marriage when disagreements arise.

Your current marital prospect, by the way you describe him, sounds like he's cut from a better cloth than most. He doesn't drink, doesn't want his girlfriend or future wife to drink, is studying at the college level in a discipline that will enable him to be a provider for you and your future children and he is clearly concerned for your overall wellbeing.

That used to be called what was once known as husband material. Now such a guy gets pegged as controlling insecure stalker who should let me do whatever I want because I want to.

Since you asked for input from the peanut gallery you'll have to decide for yourself what makes the most sense for you :)

omg. are you for real? seriously? and you're allowed access to the internet and the general public?

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A few things.

What you wear and how you comport yourself is not going to change other people's actions. Baggy clothes and a demure attitude may detract some, but not all male attention. While I understand this is a mechanism that works for you now (mostly) - it won't work always.

Learning how to deal with attention - good, bad, negative, indifferent - NOW, rather than when you're older is part of the growing up experience.

You can be friendly, you can smile, you can be interested in what other people (including males) have to say without it being leading them on. If you're unsure if someone is just talking to you or if they're flirting - you can bring up your boyfriend in the first few minutes of conversation, as in, 'That's entertaining - my boyfriend said something similar the other day'. If they're flirting, they will get the hint. If they're just being friendly, you can continue your friendly conversation.

Learning how to graciously accept attention and respectfully dissuade attention - takes practice. Learn now - while everyone around you is still learning too. They need to learn how to graciously withdraw as well.

Secondly. Clothes are fun. People may compliment you on your clothes, but that does not mean you are inviting them to do anything. Finding your own style takes time. If you have a good friend, maybe you can go to a few vintage shops, some thrift stores and around the mall and just...try on clothes. What makes you feel pretty and what makes you smile - try to incorporate that into your wardrobe. Your style will change over time. But if you feel pretty in your clothes, it changes - SO MUCH. You feel pretty, so you stand taller, people recognize your confidence and treat you with respect. I don't want to say you're missing out - but clothes make a difference.

Third. I was the girl who didn't always drink. I was(am) a preacher's kid. I had my own values that did not always jive with those around me. But here's the thing. Do what feels right to you, and with those who you feel comfortable around. If you have friends who care about you, they care about YOU - they don't want you to be uncomfortable and will watch out for you. If that means drinking/dancing/eating/goofing off - they'll keep an eye on you, and you'll keep an eye on them. If you seem uncomfortable, they'll bail you out. That's what friends do.

Oh. And I'm going to try to post the rainy day outfit I wore to work today - perfect for a 20 year old at a party, modest, and my t-shirt makes me smile - so all in all, a good outfit.

q70q7h52zor6.jpg
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't really like alcohol unless I'm with people I'm completely comfortable with and trust.. I don't see the point in getting "wasted" because all you do is become disgusting and annoying and not even remember what happened the next day. I don't think that's worth it at all.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Youth is wasted on the young.

word.

• MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Partying & drinking being worth the while all depends on the people at the party, in my opinion. If you are with a bunch of good friends, you are more than likely going to have at LEAST a little bit a fun, so why not? On the other hand, if it is full of strangers, you might feel a bit awkward and therefore regret going, since your BF did not like the idea in the first place. He sounds like he really cares about you, btw. That's sweet.

This reminds me of a story.. haha

I started "partying" in 8th grade. In 10th grade I went to a party that I was forced to go to by my ex, which was in the woods/forest in the back of a friends house. Back then I was pretty much the shyest person you'd know. I arrived- BEFORE the party- pretty darn drunk, to calm my nerves. Proceeded to consume even more massive amounts of alcohol during the party. Why? Because I knew it was full of strangers, and I HATED socializing. Long story short, I ended up in the ER with alcohol poisoning. I was only 16. Oh. and apparently I did some pretty f'd up stuff that night (at one point I made out with some random girl?) LOL.

Anyways, I don't know what the point of that story was, but take it for what it is I guess lol.

Oh and btw, you are VERY pretty. And if that is your BF in those pictures (stalker :P) you make such a cute couple!
  • malavika413
    edited December 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    And I really don't understand this notion that just because you are dating someone you have to dress in like potato sacks and hide your body. Listen, no one owns you. It's your body. Not his. This is 2014. Women are people too, we're not belongings/toys/trophies for males. Looking attractive is not implied consent for random people to do things to you. I go places with or without my husband and I wear whatever I damn well please. He knows I'm not having sex with other men. He also knows he doesn't own me. I can't believe I'm having to even say this stuff.

My boyfriend doesn't make me dress or act a certain way. I simply dress conservatively and avoid acting flirtatious or sexy out of respect for him. It's just one way I show my love. I also feel wearing baggy clothes will distract any male attention I might get (not very much in the first place).

What's wrong with getting attention from other men? Also, being sexy doesn't mean being flirtatious. It can mean a lot of things. I hope for damn sure other men besides my boyfriend find me sexy. Being sexy is about more than your clothes and flirtatious ways.

The last thing I want is attention from other men. I'm not sexy, and I really don't want to be sexy to anyone. It's hard enough accepting mild compliments from BF.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    A few things.

What you wear and how you comport yourself is not going to change other people's actions. Baggy clothes and a demure attitude may detract some, but not all male attention. While I understand this is a mechanism that works for you now (mostly) - it won't work always.

Learning how to deal with attention - good, bad, negative, indifferent - NOW, rather than when you're older is part of the growing up experience.

You can be friendly, you can smile, you can be interested in what other people (including males) have to say without it being leading them on. If you're unsure if someone is just talking to you or if they're flirting - you can bring up your boyfriend in the first few minutes of conversation, as in, 'That's entertaining - my boyfriend said something similar the other day'. If they're flirting, they will get the hint. If they're just being friendly, you can continue your friendly conversation.

Learning how to graciously accept attention and respectfully dissuade attention - takes practice. Learn now - while everyone around you is still learning too. They need to learn how to graciously withdraw as well.

Secondly. Clothes are fun. People may compliment you on your clothes, but that does not mean you are inviting them to do anything. Finding your own style takes time. If you have a good friend, maybe you can go to a few vintage shops, some thrift stores and around the mall and just...try on clothes. What makes you feel pretty and what makes you smile - try to incorporate that into your wardrobe. Your style will change over time. But if you feel pretty in your clothes, it changes - SO MUCH. You feel pretty, so you stand taller, people recognize your confidence and treat you with respect. I don't want to say you're missing out - but clothes make a difference.

Third. I was the girl who didn't always drink. I was(am) a preacher's kid. I had my own values that did not always jive with those around me. But here's the thing. Do what feels right to you, and with those who you feel comfortable around. If you have friends who care about you, they care about YOU - they don't want you to be uncomfortable and will watch out for you. If that means drinking/dancing/eating/goofing off - they'll keep an eye on you, and you'll keep an eye on them. If you seem uncomfortable, they'll bail you out. That's what friends do.

Oh. And I'm going to try to post the rainy day outfit I wore to work today - perfect for a 20 year old at a party, modest, and my t-shirt makes me smile - so all in all, a good outfit.

q70q7h52zor6.jpg

Thank you for all the advice! You look great in that outfit, by the way. It wouldn't work for me, tucked-in shirts make me look wide. But it looks great on you!
  • malavika413
    Options
    Partying & drinking being worth the while all depends on the people at the party, in my opinion. If you are with a bunch of good friends, you are more than likely going to have at LEAST a little bit a fun, so why not? On the other hand, if it is full of strangers, you might feel a bit awkward and therefore regret going, since your BF did not like the idea in the first place. He sounds like he really cares about you, btw. That's sweet.

This reminds me of a story.. haha

I started "partying" in 8th grade. In 10th grade I went to a party that I was forced to go to by my ex, which was in the woods/forest in the back of a friends house. Back then I was pretty much the shyest person you'd know. I arrived- BEFORE the party- pretty darn drunk, to calm my nerves. Proceeded to consume even more massive amounts of alcohol during the party. Why? Because I knew it was full of strangers, and I HATED socializing. Long story short, I ended up in the ER with alcohol poisoning. I was only 16. Oh. and apparently I did some pretty f'd up stuff that night (at one point I made out with some random girl?) LOL.

Anyways, I don't know what the point of that story was, but take it for what it is I guess lol.

Oh and btw, you are VERY pretty. And if that is your BF in those pictures (stalker :P) you make such a cute couple!

Thanks for the anecdote, definitely an interesting perspective. And yes, that's him--he's adorable. :)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    umm you are cute?

as for the party, if you WANT to go then go, if you dont want to than dont.

Honestly I think you would have more fun at a dance club. No real pressure to drink if you dont want to and you can dance your booty off instead of standing around gossiping and watching other people get drunk.

People go to college parties to get drunk, not buy tupperware so be aware that is a factor and be prepared to leave if you think it may not be your cup of tea.

Tell your boyfriend to calm down, it doesnt matter if you go to a party or to the mailbox, anyone is liable to be flirted with at any time. It is only with in your control to reciprocate or not. You cant control others, only your own behaviour. Does he trust you?

did she say she likes dancing? i haven't seen that. i hate dance clubs.