Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, the SN is accurate...

Lulz
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, how are the squats coming along without the weights on the bar?

Well, if I don't put any weight at all on, they're fine. As for my second deload (I don't remember how much it is, but it doesn't feel too heavy. Not easy, but then, if it's easy I don't have the knee caving) - I'm very slowly improving. Last session I seemed to mostly keep my knees out, and the hip-swerving was only slight, but a lot of reps were a bit too high. Might have fixed the good morning issue, not quite sure. We're going to work out in about 20 minutes, so I'll get my husband to take another video (though not sure how well I'll do today - feeling a bit ill). It probably doesn't take most people this long to fix form issues, does it? :/ I want to find some way of working on my proprioception - it's quite poor, probably isn't helping.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Well, if I don't put any weight at all on, they're fine. As for my second deload (I don't remember how much it is, but it doesn't feel too heavy. Not easy, but then, if it's easy I don't have the knee caving) - I'm very slowly improving. Last session I seemed to mostly keep my knees out, and the hip-swerving was only slight, but a lot of reps were a bit too high. Might have fixed the good morning issue, not quite sure. We're going to work out in about 20 minutes, so I'll get my husband to take another video (though not sure how well I'll do today - feeling a bit ill). It probably doesn't take most people this long to fix form issues, does it? :/ I want to find some way of working on my proprioception - it's quite poor, probably isn't helping.

for me it is a constant thing..I have some weeks where it feels great and then other weeks it goes south …

right now, I just bumped up to 240 (235 was feeling good) and I am experiencing the knee cave issue too ….took a video and I think I solved the problem….I am not getting to parallel and I think it is due to toes not pointed out enough and being too "upright" at start….

so it is a process and you are always working on it…or so I think ….
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't take most people this long to fix form issues, does it? :/

If it makes you feel any better, I've been lifting for nearly six months, and my deadlift and bench press are the only two lifts I would consider to have decent form.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

for me it is a constant thing..I have some weeks where it feels great and then other weeks it goes south …

right now, I just bumped up to 240 (235 was feeling good) and I am experiencing the knee cave issue too ….took a video and I think I solved the problem….I am not getting to parallel and I think it is due to toes not pointed out enough and being too "upright" at start….

so it is a process and you are always working on it…or so I think ….

The day you stop working on it, or worrying about it you're straying into dangerous waters...

People who don't care about it normally end up hurting themselves (unless they are lucky, I guess) somewhere down the road.

We're all learning OP, that's the way it should be!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HMS (and EDS) will affect muscular stability and balance because joint function is "looser". Along with the great squat advice you are getting - because of your condition - you will need to work on stabilizer exercises a lot more than the regular lifter.

Consider working on one legged squats (without weight) - Bulgarian and pistol, lunges as exercise that while strengthen stabilizers and help the knee region. Exercise ball, etc.

In your video one can see/guess at some erector spinae weakness - consider back extensions, holding cobra pose, captain's chair, etc. to start to address that.

Make sure stabilizer exercises are part of your standard auxiliary lift program.

(In fact - a proper program would have focused on stabilizers/balance work for 4-6 weeks prior to weight work for someone with HMS)

Did you look into this, OP? It's the best advice (for you) in the thread. I'm hypermobile, working with a physio. The thing that should be #1 in your mind right now, your #1 priority, well before bulking, is form. Getting your stabilizers and basic function in order. The best way to do that is through bodyweight exercises. You do need to strengthen, but that's how you should do it for now. Wanting to take on these heavy loads - to bulk, even - without laying the groundwork is kind of mixed up. (And, it's putting you at risk of injury.)
  • tomatoey
    Options

Ah - good, yes, this is making sense, now. Bodyweight stuff!
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    I've got a video of today's squats. The knee caving isn't fixed yet... going to start doing what JoRocka recommended about putting bands around my knees and pushing against them, doing bodyweight squats - possibly a couple of 'sets' every rest day. It's surprisingly hard! I think it's going to help a lot though.

That weird hip thing seems to be just as bad as before. Not sure what's causing it. I can see how the very middle (arch) of my back is moving to the side, bringing hips/bottom with it. I have been trying to brace my whole back tight, though. Husband says he thinks I'm starting off at an angle - something about my hips being turned (slightly) from the start? Can't see it myself, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtMqqj3aGYw&feature=youtu.be

If you guys don't mind having a look and telling me what you think, would be very grateful. And if this is getting annoying, tell me to stop :p

Thanks for the encouragement.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Looking back at old videos, I had the hip-swerve thing going on in the beginning too - not sure how I fixed it, it just seems to have went.

I've been at this about 2 years and my squat still sucks! I went to a strength coach last summer and I really feel like my bench, DL and OHP are pretty solid from the tips I got but squats just seems to be the one where I have to constantly try to 'fix' things. Just keep at it, posting videos is a great idea - once I figure out how to do it, I'll be looking for critique too.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think it looks like you slightly favour your right leg - lean on it more if you know what I mean? Try really concentrating on pushing through your left heel,see if that evens it up a bit.

A tip I saw on a video a while ago, to help make sure you were actually square was, after getting into position, feet square etc, squeeze your glutes - this will straighten up your hips. Try it just standing - I was surprised at how much my hips were 'off' from what I thought was dead on.
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The thing that should be #1 in your mind right now, your #1 priority, well before bulking, is form. Getting your stabilizers and basic function in order. The best way to do that is through bodyweight exercises. You do need to strengthen, but that's how you should do it for now. Wanting to take on these heavy loads - to bulk, even - without laying the groundwork is kind of mixed up. (And, it's putting you at risk of injury.)

Thanks for the advice, but I originally did bodyweight exercises for a month or so before starting any barbell training. And even before that, I did squats with a dumbell. And I started training with a lighter, empty bar.

The thing is we're all a little bit different, even if we have the same condition, and for me, lifting weights is working, and approved by medical professionals. I wasn't really getting stronger with bodyweight exercises, whereas my overall strength has improved significantly since doing this (so has my proprioception, in fact. I no longer swing my arms out into things or let my ankles flop over and fall - it's just still not great). So much so, I wouldn't have believed it before. Everything is so much easier.

Again, I do appreciate the input, but at this point I am not going to defend either of my decisions - to bulk, or lift - any longer. That's that. My last post on the matter (This isn't meant to be aggressive at all, I hope you understand where I'm coming from).

I'm still going to figure out something I can do - in addition - for proprioception, though.

3laine75 -
    Thanks for the tips! I just tried squeezing my glutes like you said, and yeah, it does work. Will implement them next session. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, I'm definitely not the squat expert, but I did notice somethings, and hopefully some others will chime in as well.

The bar still seems to be lower on the left, but it's hard to tell if it's camera angle because looking at your form I can't see why that would be. But, at the top of the squat, it almost looks like you raise your shoulders; almost like "yay I finished the squat now I'm going to loosen my back". Then you tighten again as you prepare for your next squat. You need to get out of that habit now because when you have 200lbs on your back, you'd drop the bar between squats.

The knees move around a little bit, but they are definitely staying out better than they were before. You still seem to be good morning-ing a little bit, but it's different on different reps. Almost like you notice it and then work on fixing it. Definitely progress.

Overall, definitely progress, but there's some interesting movement kind of side to side. I'm wondering if that's just natural due to your hypermobility. As previously mentioned, working your stabilizers with some accessory work would likely overall help with your form.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just a cursory glance, but engaged glutes as mentioned above would help set you centrally before the get-go.

Also, as also mentioned, you are not holding/bracing the bar symmetrically which could be playing into the asymmetry you're seeing at the bottom.

If you are having problems bringing the glutes into the movement, then some glute activation exercises might help get a solid mind/muscle connection going...
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    Auddii -
    But, at the top of the squat, it almost looks like you raise your shoulders; almost like "yay I finished the squat now I'm going to loosen my back". Then you tighten again as you prepare for your next squat.
    Ah - thanks for mentioning it; I actually thought you were only supposed to brace just as you're about to squat, rather than for the whole set. I'll try to change that.

Jimmmer -
    Well, I do usually tense my glutes - but only just as I'm squatting, rather than when I'm getting into position.

The bar did feel symmetrical, but I see what you mean. It looks like I'm still holding my right arm up higher. Will work on it.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The thing that should be #1 in your mind right now, your #1 priority, well before bulking, is form. Getting your stabilizers and basic function in order. The best way to do that is through bodyweight exercises. You do need to strengthen, but that's how you should do it for now. Wanting to take on these heavy loads - to bulk, even - without laying the groundwork is kind of mixed up. (And, it's putting you at risk of injury.)

Thanks for the advice, but I originally did bodyweight exercises for a month or so before starting any barbell training. And even before that, I did squats with a dumbell. And I started training with a lighter, empty bar.

The thing is we're all a little bit different, even if we have the same condition, and for me, lifting weights is working, and approved by medical professionals. I wasn't really getting stronger with bodyweight exercises, whereas my overall strength has improved significantly since doing this (so has my proprioception, in fact. I no longer swing my arms out into things or let my ankles flop over and fall - it's just still not great). So much so, I wouldn't have believed it before. Everything is so much easier.

Again, I do appreciate the input, but at this point I am not going to defend either of my decisions - to bulk, or lift - any longer. That's that. My last post on the matter (This isn't meant to be aggressive at all, I hope you understand where I'm coming from).

I'm still going to figure out something I can do - in addition - for proprioception, though.

3laine75 -
    Thanks for the tips! I just tried squeezing my glutes like you said, and yeah, it does work. Will implement them next session. :)

No, I think I get it. You have a definite idea of how you want to go, I understand. And yes, everyone is different. Sorry if what I said was offensive in some way.

But if you're going to lift like this, it pains me to see you favour weight lifted over form. The valgus collapse, and all the other form issues people are seeing, would be much, much easier to address under a lighter load than it seems you're lifting, along with doing bodyweight and accessory exercises, as has been suggested. That would be true for anyone, hypermobile or not.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    whoops
  • lucygoesrawr
    Options
    No, I think I get it. You have a definite idea of how you want to go, I understand. And yes, everyone is different. Sorry if what I said was offensive in some way.

But if you're going to lift like this, it pains me to see you favour weight lifted over form. The valgus collapse, and all the other form issues people are seeing, would be much, much easier to address under a lighter load than it seems you're lifting, along with doing bodyweight and accessory exercises, as has been suggested. That would be true for anyone, hypermobile or not.

No, you weren't being offensive. Just hope I didn't offend you either.

I'm not favouring weight over form, I've repeated weights and deloaded twice - it's just that the form issues don't happen under a certain threshold, so I can't address them. I do plan on starting additional exercises to help (like the bodyweight squats with the band thing that I mentioned).
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

No, you weren't being offensive. Just hope I didn't offend you either.

I'm not favouring weight over form, I've repeated weights and deloaded twice - it's just that the form issues don't happen under a certain threshold, so I can't address them. I do plan on starting additional exercises to help (like the bodyweight squats with the band thing that I mentioned).

Ah, I see.

Well, glad to hear about the bands and squats, lol, and best of luck!
  • lucygoesrawr
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Okay, no video at the moment, but I have a question about my bulk.

I seemed to be putting on over half a pound a week so dropped my calories. Now, over the last ten days I have actually lost .44lbs. Wait longer, or put the calories back up? I suspect the excess weight gain previously might have been because I recently started taking creatine and a certain time of the month (but I put on more than usual).

Also, last night was taken to hospital with a heavy nose bleed/nearly passing out. It stopped eventually and they gave me some sort of cream, but said I was fine apart from some low blood pressure issues (explaining the nearly fainting), but apparently that's likely to be due to squeamishness anyway... I didn't think to ask them about whether I can lift tomorrow. They did say the nose bleed could recur over the next few days. What do you think? I want to, but don't particularly want to pass out mid-squat or anything... What would you guys do? (Apart from being too hardcore to faint over a bit of blood :p )