Golden Years

Options

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I am going to post this on the main message board -- but thought I'd place it here first... Just one of those things we all run across from time-2-time...

CALORIE REPORTING AWARENESS: Just an example on how we have to look out for varying calorie reporting. Yesterday, I bought Garden Lites Zucchini Souffle – The front of the package clearly states 160 calories – but if you scan the UPC code on the back of the box MFP picks up the old 140 calorie count.

If you go to Garden Lites website they still show 140 calories. If you search MFP (not using the UPC) you will find the correct calorie count of 160. Again – just FYI…Most of us probably look too close. LOL

GardenLites__zps098f1ad1.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    brr anne. and here am dreding going to Wal-Mart with my husband in the car. What does the bridge cross over. A bridge.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Marie. It crosses over another road with a river to the right. So my road is high above what once would have been a ravine I suppose with the river running through it. All very complicated for not technical minded me. Anne
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :D Bob, it's not only awesome that you found the differences in the calorie count but also that you were able to post a picture of both pieces of information side by side

:D Marie, when I was talking to my friend in California last night and told her about our temperatures here she said she hated cold weather and was sad that it would be too cold and windy for her to play tennis.

:D Anne, there's a grocery store I can walk to but it's across the highway so I walk the long way around and cross at the traffic light. I take my back pack for carrying groceries. I don't do that often, but I like the idea of walking....you inspire me.

I'm home from walking and ready to enjoy the fire that Jake built.

2902944ajn6h1zbx5.gif
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Cosy, warm fire Barbie. That would go so well with my veggie stew. I love my shopping cart and have had it for years. You can carry an awful lot in it and it's so good for the heavy stuff, potatoes, cat litter etc. I've even popped Tabitha Daisy into her carrier and wheeled her on top of it to the vets! Probably got a nickname by now, e.g. crazy cat woman etc but - as they say, necessity is the mother of invention. LOL. Take care walking Barbie, my one fear is being mown down by a car, especially at traffic lights. Had 3 near misses when walking with the pedestrian sign in my favour by left turning drivers. Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Barbie I love the fire we need it today its 25F.

Dave and I went for a long walk today even though it was cold. The sun made it better.

Anne - Living in the city you have public transit and can get around rather safely. My oldest daughter lives in TO and takes a subway and streetcar to work everyday. I am in a small town and don't know how she does it. We have to have a car here although we do have a bus service. Everything is so spread out.
    -
    Bob - Thanks for the tip on the calories, I have found that here on MFP differences in my calorie count on the package and what MFP says.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Shirley, I don't live in Toronto, but I do live in a good sized town so yes, I am lucky in having a bus service. I so wanted to live in a very small country town because that's what I was used to in the past, but you have to do what circumstance decrees. I would have loved to have owned a car as well but going to see my Mom in the UK every 2 years and the subsequent cost was more important to me, especially as it was partly my fault her only daughter lived so far away. I did learn to drive, and could probably manage a car these days but I wouldn't dare to drive now at my age. Gosh I'd be an absolute menace! So here I am in a very pleasant town to walk in. Anne.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Barbiecat – thanks for the fire, I was cold.
    Shirley – you are most welcome – love the way we all share information.
    Just back from having a ring-guard put on by jeweler. I’ll have it re-sized once I hit goal and maintain for several months. It had fallen off three times and the last time was in a restaurant – I was lucky to find it.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Bob be careful about that ring. can't say I know what a ring guard is tho.
    But good news it is to big for you now. really enjoying hearing from you.. I got to go and see if I can find me a fireplace
    <3 Marie
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Good morning everybody. Boy, am I glad I got the groceries yesterday, it's (minus) -11 right now but the forecaster says it feels like -20 with a high of -7 later and windy. I believe snow or flurries are forecast for tomorrow and Friday. We've only had 2 snow shovel worthy days so far. I was invited out tonight for a restaurant meal with 4 families with Grands but I'm still getting over the remnants of a cold/flu so I'll let the new year in with Tabitha Daisy. I believe you said you are in the Niagara region as well, Shirley, so I guess we are warned. It's a stay in the house and walk inside day! Wish I also had a fire place Marie. There is a stove in the basement but I rarely light it.
    Be careful with the ring guard Bob. I had one once and still managed to lose the ring.

Anne.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Monday morning rambling…

– HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! Hope 2015 is a great year of health and happiness for all.

_ My wife has been sick for a few days, so it’s off to the doctor soon. They had no openings yesterday. She is awesome but usually never gets sick more than 24 hrs – so it’s an adjustment for her.

_ Went to the gym around 4:30am. Love to people watch as I listen to my music while walking on the treadmill. Many just normal people and then there are those that are so self-focused it’s funny (looking in mirror constantly, checking out younger people, strutting, or looking aloof etc.)

The funniest observation – a first for me – was watching a young lady (20’s) about 5 feet tall and 100 pounds walk out of the locker room drinking her “jug of water” as she walked… I do mean a HALF-GALLON jug! It was as big as her head. I have never seen the biggest weight-lifters in the place even bring such a jug…let alone walk and drink it while climbing onto a stairmaster.

Here is a photo I snapped with my phone (all my music is on my phone) while on the treadmill – very shaky photo…but it was funny.

Felt bad for gym staff – it’s open 24/7 and no change in hours for the New Year. Guess I just think they could close from 10pm-5am or something – oh well. I worked many horrible hours like most in my younger days.

Stopped at Mickey D’s on the way home – picked up breakfast and dropped it on my sisters doorstep – and sent her a text “Happy New Year.” Before I got home she had texted back that she was starved and the food was history.

Oh well – time to head out for doctors… :)

20141231_WATERJUG_zps70ece783.jpg[/url]
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Bob, thanks for the laugh. I gotta find me a gym because I love to people watch.
    Hope your poor wife feels better soon, is it this funny flu like virus I've been plagued with for 12 days now? I rarely get sick either and can't remember the last time I had a cold. Such good fortune makes me the biggest (and oldest) baby when I do get clobbered. Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning,

Happy New Year's Eve.

I am having a nice omelette made by my hubby this morning. I was supposed to make mini quiches which were on my eating plan but too tired this morning.

Anne - We are getting a snow storm starting today lightly and then heavier
    - tomorrow. This might spoil our plans with our friends tomorrow. We were supposed to go biking on an ice pond. These are special bikes made for the ice. I guess we shall see what the weather brings.

Tonight is dinner and a show with our friend Tom who just lost his wife in November my BFF.

Enjoy your New Years whatever you are doing.

Shirley
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Shirley, you live a very interesting life. Bicycles made for the ice! I've never heard of that, wow. Hope the weather is good for you despite Hamilton tv's warning. Happy 2015 and the arrival of the little one in this new year. I'm off to my youngest sons for dinner on the first. Anne.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Read an article on WebMD called Best Diet Tips Ever -- 22 Ways to Stay on Track (Thought I’d share a few)

Tip No. 1: Drink plenty of water or other calorie-free beverages.
    Before you tear into that bag of potato chips, drink a glass of water first. People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger, so you can end up eating extra calories when an ice-cold glass of water is really all you needed. If plain water doesn't cut it, try drinking flavored sparkling water or brewing a cup of fruit-infused herbal tea.

Tip No. 2: Be choosy about nighttime snacks.
    Mindless eating occurs most frequently after dinner, when you finally sit down and relax. Snacking in front of the TV is one of the easiest ways to throw your diet off course. Either close down the kitchen after a certain hour, or allow yourself a low-calorie snack, like a 100-calorie pack of cookies or a half-cup scoop of low-fat ice cream.

Tip No. 13: Lose weight slowly.
    If you're losing weight but not as fast as you'd like, don't get discouraged. Dropping pounds takes time, just like gaining them did. Experts suggest setting a realistic weight loss goal of about one to two pounds a week. If you set your expectations too high, you may give up when you don’t lose weight fast enough. Remember, you start seeing health benefits when you've lost just 5%-10% of your body weight.

Tip No. 14: Weigh yourself once a week.
    People who weigh themselves regularly tend to have more weight loss success. But most experts suggest weighing yourself only once a week, so you're not derailed by daily fluctuations. When you weigh yourself, follow these tips: Weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale, and in the same clothes.
    I weigh daily to watch trends – but only “record” once a week as outlined.

Tip No. 20: Keep a food diary.
    A simple pen and paper can dramatically boost your weight loss. Studies show the act of writing down what you eat and drink tends to make you more aware of what, when, and how much you're consuming -- leading you to ultimately take in fewer calories. One study found that people who kept a food diary six days a week lost about twice as much as those who only kept a diary one day a week or less.
  • xyla
    xyla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, "Good morning", but it is actually already afternoon. Marie, I found you on here, but now cannot find my way to Golden Sneakers. Can you send me the link? I read all of the various "mature age" problems that everyone has and knew I was in the right place. I have been trying to lose weight off and on for several years. Mostly, I am more off than on. I really need some motivation for this coming year to get off my behind and start moving before I become a permanent part of the couch. It is too cold here to go outside and walk, so I will try to walk on my dreadmill before the day ends. I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Xyla the link to the Golden sneakers is
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000425/senior-golden-sneakers#Item_1106 if this is not it I will end Sandy your name and she will sent it to you.
    marie

Are you still following the AA diet I really forgot what it is called but you know what I mean
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Since it is New Years – Thought I’d share a couple photos of what the best dressed party animals are wearing.

A relative asked me to photograph their daughter’s dog – Fender (as a gift for her). They had it made into a 16x20 canvas print for Christmas. This is Fender alone and Fender with his Fender guitar.

Fendr-1a_zps5cb749a6.jpg

Fendr_zps235438c4.jpg

• CALIECAT
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ohh BOB how adorable fender is really cute and a great Photo by you Thanks for all the tips. you posted. Thank you for sharing.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Thanks Caliecat -- that dog is sooooo loveable it's unreal.