WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi again,

I have been reading (or at least skimming) all the posts, but no time to reply. I do enjoy all the pictures of babies, pets and plants!

We had a weekend of rain, but it's nice out again. I wish I would get home from school in time to go out and walk, but it's always dark when I get home right now. But tomorrow is zumba....I love it.

Keep up the good work!

Eileen near sunny San Diego
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Well, didn't get any exercise (except walking) in today. Had to leave the house EARLY to get my friend, take her to the MD. Didn't get back home until almost 6, then had to hurry up and make a dinner.

We have a Newcomer general meeting tomorrow so I'm planning to do the Bob Harper Cardio Conditioning DVD that I got.

Toni - just to let you know (and you might already be doing this) the Y I used to belong to was rated one of the top 10 in the country on member satisfaction. One of the things they did was as you entered, the gals at the desk would say something like "hi Michele". Another thing they did was someone in a class would win a "prize" if they were chosen. As I recall, it wasn't anything much, but it encouraged people to go to classes to hopefully get their pic taken. Oh, for a period of time, you'd wear a nametag. How many times do you go to a class and say "that lady has been coming for a long time but I don't even know her name". It's good that members see you not only at the front desk but also working out. That's so nice of you to be substitute grandmother

Joyce - sure hope the doc can help you. You're wise to go and find out.

dreamwriter - tell me how doctors can be funny. I remember when my kids were very little I did something to my foot (it was so long ago that I don't even remember what it was). The doc told me "to stay off my feet". Now with three little kids who did he think was going to do the cooking and cleaning? How did things go downhill?

Viv
    - spanikopita is a greek appetizer. In the shape of a triangle, the filo dough is filled with spinach and feta cheese.

Heather - you don't need to make yourself beautiful for your yoga ladies....you ARE beautiful. Congrats on getting that replacement bottle

Cynthia - happy, happy birthday!!!

Barb
    - congratulations! Thanks for letting us know the super news. How adorable -- I especially love that bonnet on her. Love that "new baby" smell

Rita - that's just terrible that the place wouldn't take your son! I'd be outraged, too

Janet
    - what wonderful news!

katla - I'm beginning to think that I'm want to try to scale back on the Newcomer activities. Actually, its that I'm head of the nominating committee and I s*** at it. As soon as it's over, I'll be so relieved.

jodios
    - wonderful goals and welcome back

Diana - WTG being in first place!

Sally
    - I very rarely read the "blog". Thanks for the warning

Rita
    - the show with Archie Bunker -- "All In The Family"

The "check engine" light came on in my car. I told Vince that the next time I plan to drive anywhere will be Friday. I told him "I can always take the Genesis". You should have seen the look I got.....lol The Genesis is his baby. If he has an oil change scheduled and it's raining that day...he reschedules it. Oops...I am supposed to volunteer at the Green Room thursday. Guess if he doesn't get to it, I'll have to take the Outlook

Congrats to everyone who had awesome losses

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 13.38min 13amph 3mi
    lateral machine- 32min, 61fl, 3680strides, lat5, lvl 3-8, 2.64mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.29min 13.2amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.23min 9.3amph 2.7mi
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Skimmed through....

Really crappy day today.... I think I can handle the worst complaints from the public... but when a co-worker thinks I should do their job ...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If the windows opened in my office I would have jumped in frustration. To bad my office is in the basement. :(

Love the baby pictures... and where did you get that bonnet?

We have trials and tribulations don't we... yup... I am over the day... listened to my favourite CD on the hour drive home from work.... hung out with my
    TOPS chapter and was down 1/2 pound... then came here to catch up.

Take care everyone
    Lillian in nice and warm (-5 Celsius) Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Quick update. Hubby had three slices of the coconut cream pie and pronounced it delicious. He really could not tell it was sugar free. (I still have not told him.) I had a very small slice and even though I knew, it tasted very good to me too. Quite yummy.

The meeting about the Empty Bowls project went well. There were four potters at the meeting and we shared some ideas and plans. It looks like I will be making about 100 bowls. That's not too bad. The pastor who is organizing it said they plan to charge $20 per bowl, which seems a little high, but it's not my decision. Thank goodness. So tomorrow I will dig in and get busy. It should be fun.

Heather, I listened to the Womens Hour podcast on my drive and it was very good. I thought the host was a little too pushy, and kept interrupting her guests, but she really did pack a lot of information into the time she had. I thought your DDIL was very good!

Well, I'm off to bed. Good night all!

Sylvia

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Barb in South Louisiana - Congrats on the new arrival. How is her name pronounced? Those are some very cute grandchildren you have.

Rita in CT - I hope you can find some counselling for DS. Our DS spent some time in a recovery house and joined NA. He worked the 12 step program. How bad do they have to be before the detox centre will take them. Seems backwards, doesn't it? Stay positive.

Janet - Great job getting to Onederland! Hoping to get there soon

Alison - The bird job would have many rewards. Please remember to put yourself first for a change.

Vicki - Down 2 lbs. Awesome.

Cynthia - Wishing you Love, Laughter and Adventure. Happy Birthday

Michele in NC - Re: Downhill. It would take up the whole page if I were to start on that. Trying to figure some stuff out.

Today I got a lot accomplished at work. I should be in bed as inventory starts early in the a.m.
    Had a choking/vomiting episode. Took the relaxant and ended up sleeping my afternoon away.
    Went out for supper with work friends. It was quiet, relaxing and very enjoyable and I even made good food choices.
    -Sharon in Alberta (where things are melting)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    So sorry but haven't caught up with you all yet. I'm rushing to do my 10 mins cardio workout before setting off to work in the SNOW! Yes it is snowing here in York, so far it is only a very light scattering of snow, (so no need to get the snow boots out just yet) :p but I think it will get heavier as the day goes on.

As I was scrolling through I saw the most adorable baby aww what a cutie - Barb I believe you said this is your 7th grandchild. Wow how lovely, I've only got the one grandson and don't think I'll have any more.

Well time is getting on and I must do my 10 mins workout, last night I did the 15 min walk with Lesley Sansone it was harder than I remember, but I felt good in that I got up from watching TV to exercise o:) need to make it a regular thing, then I can feel "saintly"

Have a good day <3

Viv from York UK - (Where it's stopped snowing)

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    morning ladies!
    well I am sitting here,having my cuppa and then will throw some clothes on, and get down to the nursing home to feed my DFIL,I know it is a bit inconvenient ,but I am going to do to what I have to do to help him out..
    working 10:30-6 today and have tomorrow off.. go see my kidney dr next weds,will have to have a chat with her about the pain in my kidneys ..
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi to all,
    I'm 52 and started my new "lifestyle" 17 days ago. I never realized how simple changes could mean so much.

Two years ago I lost 16 pounds by myself. Then I agreed to be in a new medication trial proposed by my doctor (krill oil) as I've high triglycerides for which there is no Rx available. In just 8 weeks I gained every pound back and was so bloated and miserable. I honestly gave up. In the two years following I lost my walking buddy Ruby (my old girl dog had liver failure).

I now realize that I have to get myself back on track. I'm not looking at this as a diet but a lifestyle change. I have a somewhat stressful job (I care for palliative patients). I know how much stress affects your weight.

So here I am in 2015 using my smartphone, My Fitness Pal, my Fitbit One, my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor, and my Nordictrack elliptical, and whatever else I can manage. I've managed to loose 6 pounds so far out of the 32 that I want to loose.

I am taking the stairs wherever possible. Parking farther from stores. Alternating my exercises as much as possible. I do get migraines and have had two back injuries so sometimes they do get in the way. I look at them as speed bumps not blockades in my new lifestyle choice.

It's all a matter of perspective. I intend to keep this lifestyle even after attaining my desired weight.

So look forward to hearing from anyone who is also challenging themselves. We all need a hand once in a while.

SSM
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and thanks for the good wishes. Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies...

Barb, just wanted to say congrats on the new GD and what a CUTE Mickey Hat!

Nice to read everyone else's struggles & successes. We are all in this together. :)

I really had a good day yesterday. I went soda free for the first time in a long time, drank water, exercised, and stayed within my calories. It was a banner day.

My calorie limit is 1280. I have lost 3lbs since starting here. It is NOT easy. I am measuring & weighing everything at this point. It helps.

Have a great day!!!

Jeannine in Missouri

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning this place and it can only be as good as you want it to be.

Barb
    Don't think i'll ever be able to compete with your steps. But challenging myself to get more is reward in itself.

Lillian
    I'm also a tops member. Meeting tonight. I weighed on wii im down right now. See what tonight brings.

Viv
    Give it time and be consistent exercise will become a part of you. And if you don't do it you will miss it.

SSM
    I think challenging one self is a great way to tackle this journey.

Well as you know I weight on wii every morning and this morning he was my friend. Gave me a loss of 2.2 so all those little gains are gone. With some to spare. So I'm doing something right.
    Finally got the fit bit over 4,000 steps. Now to do more today.
    Tonight is tops I want a loss to get 3 consecutive loses. See how many of those I can string along.

See you all lighter.
    Linda in snowy Northern Ontario.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    CelticLass69 - feel free to add me as a Fitbit friend if you'd like. Here is my link:

https://www.fitbit.com/user/32HMR4

Any other Fitbit users (fitbit is a fancy pedometer). My goal is 10,000 steps per day and I usually make that each day (except maybe Sunday).

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Viv - I'm like you, I have to start getting off of the couch a little more often. I live in northern Minnesota and do not like to go out in the cold to walk. It is too icy here, I live on a dirt road and it is dangerous to go for a walk.I set my smartphone to go off every hour and I get up and do a set of bun guns AB and planks.

Cynthia, I hope you had a fun birthday yesterday!

Jeannine, I too had to give up my Mountain Dew, that was hard! I really haven't drank more than a can or two since October. I do miss it when I go out especially.

SSM, welcome to this site! I too am new this year. The ladies here are great, very supportive .
    it sounds like you have all the right tools to be successful!

Linda, gratulations on your 4000 steps! How do you do it in such a cold climate? I have such a hard time with the ice and snow and the 40 below wind chill Days.

My favorite workout is from p 90 x, the Kenpo X kickboxing DVD. I do that everyday because it is complete body workout. I have two broken vertebrae in my neck and scoliosis with a couple of disc bulges and feel much better if I do the kickboxing. I also do at least 5 set of guns, buns, abs, and planks.

it's time for me to Start my exercise.have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    CelticLass69 - sounds like you got a plan., keep it up! you'll get there...
    - feeling a bit better as the days go on, still exercising, yes I know I know... do as I say not as I do. I give awesome advice but I don't take my own in some areas.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Just wrote a thoughtful post and lost it. Grrr. My own mistype caused the loss. I'm off to the gym to look in on a core class to see if I can handle it, and then to take a yoga class. Wish me luck!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Mary
    What I do to get steps is walk in circles from living room through the dinning room, the hall and living room. If not watching tv I put timer on stove for 5 min. and walk. Around and around I go where I stop no one knows.

So far so good.
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Good morning! I'm all pumped up about making bowls this morning, and can't find a special tool I need, so I'm forced to clean up my work space! Oh, cruel world! My fingers are so badly cracked and split that I spent some time this morning super-glueing them closed, then applied a couple layers of NuSkin. They still hurt like the dickens, but I don't think they will get any worse now.

In an hour I'm going to the library for a meeting of the Liberal Ladies. That should be fun, I think. I've only been to one other meeting and I was one of three people there, so that one was kind of a bust. Maybe this one will be better.

The jokes yesterday and today were awful, so I'm surfing for jokes again this morning. Here's a cartoon I liked:

hb9ho855eueu.jpg

And another joke:
    :)
    “I hate to have to tell you this”, said the Doctor in a sad compassionate voice, “but you have been unfortunately been diagnosed with a highly contagious disease, we will have to quarantine you and you’ll only be fed cheese and bologna.” “That’s terrible!” Said the distraught young man, quickly sitting down before he could faint. “I don’t know if I could handle being in quarantine…and the cheese and bologna diet… What’s with the cheese and bologna diet anyway? I’ve never of such a diet before?!” “It’s not exactly a diet”, responded the Doctor matter of factly, “it’s just the only food that will fit under the door!”
    :D

I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    Well, good news about my son. He went to the ER after I cajoled him yesterday and is not in detox. Next step I hope he follows through with is the rehab.

I've finally caught up! YAY ME!

Heather in UK - I am selling my rental in TN. I have a contractor there right now getting things in order. Should be for sale by Feb 1. I hope it goes fast! $135K if you are interested! :)

Allison - Good luck with the bird-job!

Barb from South Louisiana - Beautiful Grand-daughter! Love the hat and ears! Sweet pic of DGS and new DGD!

Cynthia - Belated Happy Birthday!

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC - Congrats on making 'Onederland'!

Katla in Oregaon - Yes AA does work with all dependencies, but he really needed detox. He goes to AA but not regularly.

Cynthia, The only way I can keep up with everyone is run-on notes!

I think I am done with the grand-babies too. My DD#1 does not want any more, my DD#2 doesn't want any at all and my DS has many issues he has to work through before even thinking about a serious relationship. So,,, 3 grandsons are all for me (ages, 4, 5, and 10).

Alison - I will have to check on the narc-anon for my son, and alanon for me! I still love the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Brady Bunch, Andy Grifith show, and all those that can be found sometime on TV.

Sharon in Alberta and others who commented about my son - Thank you! He is not getting the care he needs as a first step. I truly pray he follows through with treatment as recommended.

Welcome to the newbies and we are all challenging ourselves in one way or another. This is the right place to be!

Well, off to the gym for me. I really don't want to go but know I must! I must also call my personal trainer and set up a visit with her. Payed for visits but have not had them due to my 'funk' and her being sick!

Rita in CT

Words for the year:
    Determination and Moderation
    January Goals:
    1. Fix TN house and sell
    2. Taxes
    3. Exercise 20 times this month
    4. Lose 5 pounds
    All to get to my year end goals of Financial stability and lose 50 pounds.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    OK, just one more:

:)

A man wasn’t feeling well so he went to the doctor. After examining him the doctor took his wife aside, and said, “your husband has a very sensitive heart. I am afraid he’s not going to make it, unless you treat him like a king, which means you are at his every beck and call, 24 hours a day and that he doesn’t have to do anything himself. On the way home the husband asked with a note of concern “what did he say?” “Well”, the lady responded, “he said it looks like you probably won’t make it.”

:D