elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QTNFJnG_6ME&list=PLA2B229C42784AD73

This doctor at a medical convention 2012? is presenting research on Sleep and how low Vit D3 can cause bad sleep.

It is about one hour long but is broken down into 5 parts. Part #3 is where she gets deep into medical conditions that may be related to low Vit D3.

You are bringing this back up again? You weren't getting enough attention in another thread?

what's wrong with bringing this back up?

if you don't like it, you are free to ignore it.

How about that it contains some dangerous advice.

What did you find to be dangerous advice from this MD invited to speak at a medical convention in TX?

Just because some is a DR does not mean they do not give dangerous advice. You know what they call the person who graduated the bottom of their class in Med School? Doctor.

I've had a physician who gave a confirmed hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke heparin. You can bet when I went to transfer them to a different hospital I stopped that medication immediately. By your logic, since he was an MD, there was nothing dangerous about that right?

Elphie since you apparently have not listen to what the doctor said who was dressed as and sounded like an female you may want to listen to her practice findings with real live patients. I applied no logic because I never said 'there was nothing dangerous'.

I (as one holding an OD degree from SCO 1986) listened to the doctor's presentation TWICE before linking it in this case. Since her peers asked her to make this presentation would care some weight with those who likes peers to approve of medical findings.

Please listen to the presentation before replying. Thank you. Gale Hawkins

Literally none of that made any sense.

Oh good, I thought it was just me lol.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

This doctor at a medical convention 2012? is presenting research on Sleep and how low Vit D3 can cause bad sleep.

It is about one hour long but is broken down into 5 parts. Part #3 is where she gets deep into medical conditions that may be related to low Vit D3.

You are bringing this back up again? You weren't getting enough attention in another thread?

What did you find to be dangerous advice from this MD invited to speak at a medical convention in TX?

Just because some is a DR does not mean they do not give dangerous advice. You know what they call the person who graduated the bottom of their class in Med School? Doctor.

I've had a physician who gave a confirmed hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke heparin. You can bet when I went to transfer them to a different hospital I stopped that medication immediately. By your logic, since he was an MD, there was nothing dangerous about that right?

Elphie since you apparently have not listen to what the doctor said who was dressed as and sounded like an female you may want to listen to her practice findings with real live patients. I applied no logic because I never said 'there was nothing dangerous'.

I (as one holding an OD degree from SCO 1986) listened to the doctor's presentation TWICE before linking it in this case. Since her peers asked her to make this presentation would care some weight with those who likes peers to approve of medical findings.

Oh good, I thought it was just me lol.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

That's our Gale. It's a fake account, one used when Steve098 won't quite fit.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    I don`t need as much vitamin D as my ancestors were vikings!
    There. An unfounded statement. I don`t think we even know what optimal levels are or what is a deficiency for whom.
    I see Mercola, eyeroll, and the New York times have been cited here...
    The naturopaths and chiropractors have muddied the water again.

It's a real thing, yo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912737/

Vitamin D has been appreciated for its role in calcium homeostasis and bone health since its identification in 1921.1 Even so, 25% to 50% or more of patients commonly encountered in clinical practice are deficient in vitamin D. Recent advances in biochemical assessment, therapeutic goals for vitamin D nutrition for optimal bone health, and the association of vitamin D deficiency with nonskeletal disease have revived interest in this hormone.

Worldwide, naturally occurring dietary sources of vitamin D are limited, and food fortification is optional, inconsistent, inadequate, or nonexistent. Therefore, for most people, vitamin D is primarily obtained by cutaneous production from sun exposure. However, many variables influence the amount of UVB from sunlight that reaches the skin and its effectiveness. These include time of day, season, latitude, altitude, clothing, sunscreen use, pigmentation, and age. In Minnesota in 2008, less than half of days provided enough solar UVB radiation at noon to effect cutaneous vitamin D production.2 Even those who normally reside in sunny climates are commonly found to be deficient in vitamin D, probably due to cultural habits and/or dress.3 Even if regularly exposed to sunlight, elderly people produce 75% less cutaneous D3 than young adults.4 Further barriers to cutaneous vitamin D production are ongoing public health campaigns promoting sunscreen use, as advocated by the American Academy of Dermatology (http://www.aad.org/forms/policies/ps.aspx, accessed December 24, 2009). Unfortunately, commonly recommended daily intakes of vitamin D are known to be insufficient if sunlight exposure is limited.5

Vitamin D deficiency is more common than previously thought. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that the percentage of adults achieving vitamin D sufficiency as defined by 25(OH)D of at least 30 ng/mL (to convert to nmol/L, multiply by 2.496) has declined from about 60% in 1988-1994 to approximately 30% in 2001-2004 in whites and from about 10% to approximately 5% in African Americans during this same time. Furthermore, more people have been found to be severely deficient in vitamin D [25(OH)D <10 ng/mL].6 Even when using a conservative definition of vitamin D deficiency, many patients routinely encountered in clinical practice will be deficient in vitamin D, as shown in Table 1

why does it matter?

Vitamin D deficiency can contribute to bone loss from decreased vitamin D–mediated intestinal calcium absorption and resultant secondary hyperparathyroidism (HPT). Vitamin D supplementation can improve muscle strength and reduce fall frequency by approximately 50%.7 Thus, patients who have low bone mineral density or a prior low-impact (fragility) skeletal fracture and those at risk of falling should be evaluated for vitamin D deficiency to reduce the risk of all types of skeletal fractures.8,9

Patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) have decreased conversion of 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D as a result of impaired renal 1-α hydroxylase activity. This contributes to secondary HPT and metabolic bone disease. Superimposed nutritional deficiency may aggravate secondary HPT both directly (as a result of low vitamin D levels) and indirectly (as a result of impaired vitamin D–mediated intestinal calcium absorption). Patients with stage I to III CKD should be tested and supplemented with vitamin D as needed to achieve optimal levels of 25(OH)D in addition to modifying calcium and phosphate intake. Emerging evidence is challenging our understanding of bone and vascular health in stage IV to V CKD, such that vitamin D, calcitriol, or vitamin D analogs should be used according to current CKD guidelines and under the guidance of a nephrologist.

It has been suggested that clinicians should routinely test for hypovitaminosis D in patients with musculoskeletal symptoms, such as bone pain, myalgias, and generalized weakness, because these symptoms are often associated with hypovitaminosis D and might be misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, age-related weakness, or even depression.10 Some studies and numerous anecdotal observations report vitamin D deficiency in 80% to 90% of children and adults with pain, myalgias, and weakness.11 However, few high-quality interventional studies support a causal relationship between vitamin D deficiency and pain. Furthermore, vitamin D status can be a surrogate marker of poor nutritional status such that the high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in these populations may reflect suboptimal nutrition and lack of outdoor activity associated with chronic illness. Indeed, a recent randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trial showed no benefit of vitamin D supplementation for such symptoms.12 The role of vitamin D testing in pregnant or lactating women may be refined by data from ongoing interventional trials.

also
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-deficiency/faq-20058397
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yes it does. I think surface grammar issues must be down to predictive text on a phone or something like that, but it's very understandable.

Thank you for the link, Gale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Was that the guy who posted insanely long posts that could all be summed up with "Breakfast Bad"?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Was that the guy who posted insanely long posts that could all be summed up with "Breakfast Bad"?

yeah, and continually quoted some old textbook as the be all end all of knowledge.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know about vitamin D and weight loss, but I recently was tested and the doctor said my vitamin D level was low ao I'ms taking a supplement of 1000 iu a day. It's been about a month. I gained about 4lb due to inactivity from a broken leg last October and have lost about 1 1/2lb of it since December 15, so I'm not sure the vit. D level is a detriment.

She was concerned because I AM post-menopausal. I previously tested with adequate levels, but had stopped taking supplements about 6 months previously when my bone density test result showed a change for the worse from 2 years before. I was disgusted because I do weight-bearing exercises and had been taking calcium and vitamin D for years. Stupid, I know.

Most people who don't take some sort of supplement tend to be low in D because we just don't get it enough from our food or bein outside enough.

I wanted to track it on my daily log, but MFP doesn't have a choice to do that.

Anyway, whether it helps weight loss or not, but it's enough to have a protection against softening bones, I'm definitely staying with the supplements from now on. I have to get tested again this year and hopefully will see a return to normal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

yeah, and continually quoted some old textbook as the be all end all of knowledge.

That guy cracked me up! He was on a serious crusade to end breakfast! It was so funny. And unless it was on one of his many Anti-breakfast threads, it was always off topic. People are discussing Beer v. Lite Beer and he shows up like, "You know when you shouldn't have beer? At breakfast! There is NO REASON to eat breakfast..."

A singular obsession: Breakfast Must Be Stopped. Who even thinks that up? Ever meet anyone who hated breakfast's existence with such a passion? You never did. You never will.

Eventually had to put him on ignore because the posts were too long to scroll past, but the anti-breakfast obsession was a new one for me and very much cracked me up.

I like Gale. He's not obsessed with any single and insane idea, is polite and interesting.

He's no Steve, though. :)
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you GaleHawkins! I have been doing other research, and I am very happy to have learned something new!
    You are why I love MFP!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am sticking with my 20K units daily until my next blood work hoping I break out of the 20's finally but I want to stay under 80 based on my research.

Currently we have a lot of cancer popping up in the family and have been reading on organic supplements from Japan like BioBran (sold under the name PeakImmune4 in USA) and inorganic supplements like zeolite that initial usage was developed in Eastern European.

Since they can be purchased on Amazon and Ebay I have ordered some of both types to try.

I still think having Vit D levels in the 40-80 range is more important initially than the above supplements. I was talking today with a guy who learned his Vit D level was 11 and he wound up having open heart surgery. He is taking 64K units a week and still two years later is only up into the 20's.

One doctor said only two of her hospital patients has normal levels of Vit D. One was a gun shot victim and the other one had been in a car accident. All of the rest where low on Vit D when hospitalized. She said people seldom get sick enough to be hospitalized if they have normal Vit D3 levels. Basically I think most flip off the need for Vit D just as I did for two years after the doctor tested me.

After doing some research I realized the folly of flipping off the importance of Vit D levels. Reading about cancer and treatments I now understand there is no 'cure' for it and that survival is best when we correctly support the body to 'prevent' cancer since we will have had cancer for about 10 years before it will be medically detected.

I still think Vit D levels should be our first thing to test since treating it from Wal-Mart, Wallgreens, etc cost next to nothing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=509

Just found this article about the relationship between cancer and Vit D levels. It had some interesting numbers.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I still think Vit D levels should be our first thing to test since treating it from Wal-Mart, Wallgreens, etc cost next to nothing.

^ totally agree