Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

I'm planning to give bodyweight training a try. I'm just a bit averse to weights at the moment. Yes, appearance is paramount right now. I'm 19 and want to look good for once!

That mentality needs to be changed into: Healthy and good for life.

I beg of you. I do not beg lightly.

Good luck.

By 'for once', I meant I haven't ever looked good in the past. Hopefully I'll be able to look good for life. I keep to a reasonable calorie deficit, so I'm being healthy in trying to achieve my goal.

Lift light weights (a lot) and you won't have to stay on a deficit. Your body will adjust itself to the food you feed it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Almost anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm not interested in strength training.
    you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

I don't like running- I don't like cardio.

I do it because it's good for me.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

But the reality is- you need to have both. Period.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.

I'm running more for the feeling of accomplishment than anything else. I want to actually succeed at something, you know? Plus, hopefully it'll give my boyfriend and I an activity we can share--we don't have much in common interest-wise.

I really hope I can get rid of my curves, they're really unattractive and inconvenient Hopefully they're gone once I reach goal weight, hopefully genetics are in my favor.

Mozart was born Mozart yet he wasn't. He practiced every single day.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle.

You will succeed once you have had small successes, have failed, have picked up yourself over and over, and done it all over again. You have to take risks and waltz outside of your comfort zone, live a bit dangerously to have the success you crave. You need to earn it by putting in the hard work.

I love this.

OP - you can do this. Just have to be patient. I was sad to read that you hate your curves. I'm curvy, too. I used to hate them but then I realized there's no sense in hating myself. No matter how much weight you lose, you will never be able to change your body's structure. What you can do, however, is make it the best version of itself it can be at any given time.

I love my curves now. Since I started lifting, everything looks better. I wouldn't change it - and I hope you come to the same conclusion some day.

I have a thicker version of an hourglass shape (38-28-38), and I only really look good in giant lumpy sweaters or 50s style clothes. I can't wear any of the modern fashions that my sister (size 0) can. I'll never get to her size but I'd love to try, just to feel beautiful the way she does.

Alright. I'm a 34 - 28 - 38. We have the measurements pretty much.

Honey, you will never be a size 0. Even when I was anorexic, bulimic, on laxatives and 85 pounds, I wasn't a size 0. You have to let it go and just be you. Today, I'm a healthy size 4-6. Down from an 8-10 at my heaviest, and that's because I lift. I still pretty much weigh the same (135-140ish).

I know I'll never be a size 0. It gets me down so much. I'm surrounded by size 0's everywhere I go. I range from a 6-10 depending on the garment, but it's my body type rather than my weight that's preventing me from wearing nice clothes. Big boobs, big hips (thankfully no butt).

I know you don't want to believe it, but a lifting program can and will change your entire outlook on your body if you give it a chance.

My boyfriend tells me curves are womanly and should be celebrated, but I hate them and wish they'd go away. I've heard that cardio and calorie deficit is the way to get the body I'm after. Maybe not a size 0, but perhaps 110 pounds...
    How tall are you?

5'3. I'm currently 140.

I'm 5'4" and 139...You mentioned being a ball of lard somewhere? I don't think I'm a ball of lard...Neither should you.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.

I'm running more for the feeling of accomplishment than anything else. I want to actually succeed at something, you know? Plus, hopefully it'll give my boyfriend and I an activity we can share--we don't have much in common interest-wise.

I really hope I can get rid of my curves, they're really unattractive and inconvenient Hopefully they're gone once I reach goal weight, hopefully genetics are in my favor.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle.

You will succeed once you have had small successes, have failed, have picked up yourself over and over, and done it all over again. You have to take risks and waltz outside of your comfort zone, live a bit dangerously to have the success you crave. You need to earn it by putting in the hard work.

I love this.

OP - you can do this. Just have to be patient. I was sad to read that you hate your curves. I'm curvy, too. I used to hate them but then I realized there's no sense in hating myself. No matter how much weight you lose, you will never be able to change your body's structure. What you can do, however, is make it the best version of itself it can be at any given time.

I love my curves now. Since I started lifting, everything looks better. I wouldn't change it - and I hope you come to the same conclusion some day.

I have a thicker version of an hourglass shape (38-28-38), and I only really look good in giant lumpy sweaters or 50s style clothes. I can't wear any of the modern fashions that my sister (size 0) can. I'll never get to her size but I'd love to try, just to feel beautiful the way she does.

Honey, you will never be a size 0. Even when I was anorexic, bulimic, on laxatives and 85 pounds, I wasn't a size 0. You have to let it go and just be you. Today, I'm a healthy size 4-6. Down from an 8-10 at my heaviest, and that's because I lift. I still pretty much weigh the same (135-140ish).

I know I'll never be a size 0. It gets me down so much. I'm surrounded by size 0's everywhere I go. I range from a 6-10 depending on the garment, but it's my body type rather than my weight that's preventing me from wearing nice clothes. Big boobs, big hips (thankfully no butt).

I know you don't want to believe it, but a lifting program can and will change your entire outlook on your body if you give it a chance.

My boyfriend tells me curves are womanly and should be celebrated, but I hate them and wish they'd go away. I've heard that cardio and calorie deficit is the way to get the body I'm after. Maybe not a size 0, but perhaps 110 pounds...
    How tall are you?

5'3. I'm currently 140.

I'm 5'4" and 139...You mentioned being a ball of lard somewhere? I don't think I'm a ball of lard...Neither should you.

You have muscle tone, it's entirely different. I have a very lardy body. I'm not after muscle tone, but I'm definitely out to lose the lard.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Running will do the same thing... I get up and burn off over 1,000 calories nearly every morning...sometimes close to twice that and I never have to worry about what I'm eating. I'm not against weight training...I've been doing it for 40 years...but it's not for everyone, just like running isn't.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Running will do the same thing... I get up and burn off over 1,000 calories nearly every morning...sometimes close to twice that and I never have to worry about what I'm eating. I'm not against weight training...I've been doing it for 40 years...but it's not for everyone, just like running isn't.

I won't be burning quite that many calories, obviously, but it'll be nice to factor that extra burn into my deficit. I don't know if I'll learn to love running, but I'm certainly going to try it out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I can't even begin to imagine what I would have to put myself through to be 110 pounds. I'd be suffering, for sure. Sometimes we just can't have what we want. Sometimes what we want isn't feasible.

If you want to just run and eat at a deficit, no one can stop you. But I don't think it's going to give you the body that you want (or close to it - I don't think the body you want is feasible). I think running and strength training will give you the best version of you, inside and out.

I think you're right. I think I'll start with bodyweight training and work my way up to weights, once I've gained some confidence to walk into the weight room. I don't know how attainable my body goal is. Being skinny is all I've wanted, I always thought that once I got skinny I'd be able to overlook my other imperfections and feel pretty for once.

I have friends that envy my "hourglass" shape, but I don't see why. I guess everyone wants what they can't have.
    oh honey.

this makes me deeply sad for you.

Deeply deeply sad for you.
    No amount of body changes will fix what i've bolder. You'll get skinny and still be unhappy with yourself- I can almost promise you this.

You should learn how to love you NOW.

I'm not saying you have to be okay with the way you look- it's okay to want to be a BETTER version of who you are. But you still have to realize YOU are free to be fabulous and free to love yourself- no matter what shape your in.

That is OKAY.

There IS (contrary to society's beliefs) room to seek improvement and still love who you are as a person- and know that you are still valuable- and still smart- and still sassy and still attractive.

There seems to be this pejorative trend that you either hate yourself so you self flagulate to seek improvement- or "welp this is as good as it gets" and you "settle" for the lardy body you have.

WRONG MY NEW FOUND FITNESS HUNTER!!!! WRONG!
    You can love yourself.

You can think you're awesome as is.

AND you can still improve on what you have without hating yourself.

You said a few posts later "well maybe I'll get to the half marathon"

BANISH that thought- you have taken a step in the right direction- pushing toward something to accomplish- to succeed at in life (WINNING!!!!)- this will be a success- added motivation and a boost of self confidence.

But. You said "well maybe I'll get to the half"
    Stop thinking like that- you're very title? can I do it.

Tell yourself I AM going to run a half marathon this year- 2015- or sign up for the one you want to do in 2016. You can probably do some 10 K's this year.

Sign up for them. Set your mind to the task at hand and DO THE THINGS. Don't ask well maybe- go out and do the thing!!!! because the only thing holding you back- is you!

Which means- once you get out of your own way- and go do the thing- you'll get it done.

I promise you.

So- get to running- slowly- follow couch to 5K - it's a great program.

do a body weight workout 2x a week to supplement your running- you're going to feel about a million times better about who you are by simply having a routine- and getting some things done (plus a runner's high is kind of awesome)

NOW!
    Go forth.

And be fabulous.
  • malavika413
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I can't even begin to imagine what I would have to put myself through to be 110 pounds. I'd be suffering, for sure. Sometimes we just can't have what we want. Sometimes what we want isn't feasible.

If you want to just run and eat at a deficit, no one can stop you. But I don't think it's going to give you the body that you want (or close to it - I don't think the body you want is feasible). I think running and strength training will give you the best version of you, inside and out.

I think you're right. I think I'll start with bodyweight training and work my way up to weights, once I've gained some confidence to walk into the weight room. I don't know how attainable my body goal is. Being skinny is all I've wanted, I always thought that once I got skinny I'd be able to overlook my other imperfections and feel pretty for once.

I have friends that envy my "hourglass" shape, but I don't see why. I guess everyone wants what they can't have.
    oh honey.

this makes me deeply sad for you.

Deeply deeply sad for you.
    No amount of body changes will fix what i've bolder. You'll get skinny and still be unhappy with yourself- I can almost promise you this.

You should learn how to love you NOW.

I'm not saying you have to be okay with the way you look- it's okay to want to be a BETTER version of who you are. But you still have to realize YOU are free to be fabulous and free to love yourself- no matter what shape your in.

That is OKAY.

There IS (contrary to society's beliefs) room to seek improvement and still love who you are as a person- and know that you are still valuable- and still smart- and still sassy and still attractive.

There seems to be this pejorative trend that you either hate yourself so you self flagulate to seek improvement- or "welp this is as good as it gets" and you "settle" for the lardy body you have.

WRONG MY NEW FOUND FITNESS HUNTER!!!! WRONG!
    You can love yourself.

You can think you're awesome as is.

AND you can still improve on what you have without hating yourself.

You said a few posts later "well maybe I'll get to the half marathon"

BANISH that thought- you have taken a step in the right direction- pushing toward something to accomplish- to succeed at in life (WINNING!!!!)- this will be a success- added motivation and a boost of self confidence.

But. You said "well maybe I'll get to the half"
    Stop thinking like that- you're very title? can I do it.

Tell yourself I AM going to run a half marathon this year- 2015- or sign up for the one you want to do in 2016. You can probably do some 10 K's this year.

Sign up for them. Set your mind to the task at hand and DO THE THINGS. Don't ask well maybe- go out and do the thing!!!! because the only thing holding you back- is you!

Which means- once you get out of your own way- and go do the thing- you'll get it done.

I promise you.

So- get to running- slowly- follow couch to 5K - it's a great program.

do a body weight workout 2x a week to supplement your running- you're going to feel about a million times better about who you are by simply having a routine- and getting some things done (plus a runner's high is kind of awesome)

NOW!
    Go forth.

And be fabulous.

Thank you. Thank you so much. It has depressed me thinking that I must be skinny to look pretty. In fact, some of the bodies I admire most are curvier. You've really inspired me to seek the best version of myself, rather than the image of fashion models on TV. I've never been strong, but I'd like to try! A friend of mine and I impulsively signed up for a kickboxing class for next semester, and I'm excited! I'd love to kick some *kitten* and not be the shy weakling I've always been.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I CAN run this half marathon!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What JoRocka said. SERIOUSLY!!

So much of distance running, weight loss, and other worthy pursuits - is a mental exercise first and foremost. I truly believe the first step (all puns intended!) is a belief that you can and that you are good enough. We all believe that of you based on what you've said- but you've got to believe it for yourself. ;)

As someone that used to hate running even a mile, I decided to change what I thought about myself. I have now run 3 full-distance marathons and 4 half marathons (with #5 happening in t-minus 2 weeks). It's nothing short of a life changing experience and one you won't regret.

A couple logistics:

1) I personally disagree with the commentors that said sure, you can do this THIS March. Well, maybe you could, but I truly do not think that's enough time to enjoy the race. Build up your distance slowly over the next few months. I think you'll feel a ton more prepared to safely tackle that distance in March 2016. (Yes, that's doable.)

2) Consider cross training. While I love my running, I have found that incorporating some yoga, strength training, and other forms of cardio keeps me fit and from getting bored. These other forms of exercise have also helped me stay fit during times of injury.

Again, I can't echo enough what JoRocka told you. It's amazing advice. Be kind to yourself. Your body is capable of doing so much if you allow it to. I often tell myself things like "I'm strong" and "I've got this" on a long run. Start paying attention to the messages you're sending yourself and replace any negatives with positives. It may sound hokey, but I encourage you to do it anyways. I truly wish you the best on your journey (and feel free to friend request me if there's any way I can encourage you more.)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thank you. Thank you so much. It has depressed me thinking that I must be skinny to look pretty. In fact, some of the bodies I admire most are curvier. You've really inspired me to seek the best version of myself, rather than the image of fashion models on TV. I've never been strong, but I'd like to try! A friend of mine and I impulsively signed up for a kickboxing class for next semester, and I'm excited! I'd love to kick some *kitten* and not be the shy weakling I've always been.

YAY!!!! Double ya for kick boxing!!! and any time you feel ANY self doubt or "what if they think I suck- or what if this- or what if that"

Always go for the " so what" tactic

So what if they talk?
    So what if you suck?
    so what if you aren't as strong- or as fast- or as coordinated?

SO WHAT- you're doing the things- and you get better doing things- but doing them. And even if you think EVER single person is judging you? SO WHAT- you're still there- being fabulous in your own little mind... and then you just check out this little guy- you're awesome and they are gonna keep hating- because

say it with me now!!!!!
    haters21_zpsc3d14493.jpg

so- with that- I'm totally racking out- I'm happy- new found attitude is kicking *kitten*- I love it. WIN for the day!!! WOOT WOOT
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

^^^So true. I don't enjoy strength training as much as I do running, but I do it to make running easier and help avoid injury.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if I'm redundant.

I ran my first mile EVER this year after doing the C25K program. Literally ever. As far as my high school gym teacher knew, I had my period and was incapacitated every time we were supposed to run. At some point in my childhood, some jerkface kid made fun of the way I ran, and I internalized that notion for 3 decades. Until this year, even my own husband had never seen me run (sober anyhow).

A couple weeks ago I went out and ran 13.5 miles just for fun. Not a race or anything, but because it turns out that jerkface kid was wrong. I don't run weird. I'm actually fairly good at it and love it. Who knew?

Like you, I started out wanting to lose weight and be skinny. My focus was looking good, and if not good, at least better. Running was supposed to be a good calorie burner, so I figured I'd give it a shot and lost about 15 lbs. In May I ran my first 5K race, and let me tell you, when I crossed that finish line, I didn't give a hoot how skinny I was or what the scale said that morning. I was so proud of what my body could DO. I was an ATHLETE for once!

I encourage you to follow the C25K program and sign up for a 5K this spring. It'll be a good motivator to stick with the program, and I guarantee your body image will improve.

Have fun! (oh, and make sure to wear the right shoes!)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

YAY!!!! Double ya for kick boxing!!! and any time you feel ANY self doubt or "what if they think I suck- or what if this- or what if that"

Always go for the " so what" tactic

So what if they talk?
    So what if you suck?
    so what if you aren't as strong- or as fast- or as coordinated?

SO WHAT- you're doing the things- and you get better doing things- but doing them. And even if you think EVER single person is judging you? SO WHAT- you're still there- being fabulous in your own little mind... and then you just check out this little guy- you're awesome and they are gonna keep hating- because

say it with me now!!!!!
    haters21_zpsc3d14493.jpg

so- with that- I'm totally racking out- I'm happy- new found attitude is kicking *kitten*- I love it. WIN for the day!!! WOOT WOOT

+1,000

Also, kickboxing is amazing. When you're having a bad day, there's nothing better than either throwing some weights around or beating the sh&t out of something. LOL.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »

I ran my first mile EVER this year after doing the C25K program. Literally ever. .....

A couple weeks ago I went out and ran 13.5 miles just for fun. Not a race or anything, but because it turns out that jerkface kid was wrong. I don't run weird. I'm actually fairly good at it and love it. Who knew?

How did you run your first mile this year but ran 13.5 a few weeks ago?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    time machine, McFly.
  • malavika413
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    ephiemarie wrote: »

I ran my first mile EVER this year after doing the C25K program. Literally ever. .....

How did you run your first mile this year but ran 13.5 a few weeks ago?

I'm hoping she meant 2014, otherwise I want a ride in her DeLorean.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lol. It takes me a few weeks to adjust to a new calendar year! :D

I ran my first 11 minute mile on 2/6/14. First 5K race on 5/10/14, and first half marathon distance (at 8:30/mile pace) on 12/13/14.

So, yes, OP, you certainly CAN do this!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ...not only can it be done, but it can also be done without an absolute requirement of weight training. Granted, weight training can help, as will yoga, swimming, foam rolling, cycling and ellipticals, but it is not required.

Oh, and if running and losing weight is somehow an unhealthy mindset, then I am mighty proud of my unhealthy mindset.
  • malavika413
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    ...not only can it be done, but it can also be done without an absolute requirement of weight training. Granted, weight training can help, as will yoga, swimming, foam rolling, cycling and ellipticals, but it is not required.

Oh, and if running and losing weight is somehow an unhealthy mindset, then I am mighty proud of my unhealthy mindset.

I think the others were referring more on my desire to be skinny like people around me, rather than becoming the best version of my existing body.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

I think the others were referring more on my desire to be skinny like people around me, rather than becoming the best version of my existing body.

I see.

I can relate somewhat.

My desire is to be at my ideal weight. That is a lot skinnier than when I started. Anyone who tried telling me it was OK to be a fatter version of myself than was necessary simply didn't understand the whole point to begin with, which was to reach my ideal weight. In my case, that is. Your case could be different.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Another way to approach this is to focus on what you want your body to be able to do (instead of what you want it to look like). Don't try to run a half marathon because it will make you skinny -- it might not, and that motivation probably isn't enough to keep you running until next March anyway.