Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »

I think the others were referring more on my desire to be skinny like people around me, rather than becoming the best version of my existing body.

I see.

I can relate somewhat.

My desire is to be at my ideal weight. That is a lot skinnier than when I started. Anyone who tried telling me it was OK to be a fatter version of myself than was necessary simply didn't understand the whole point to begin with, which was to reach my ideal weight. In my case, that is. Your case could be different.

Her case is different. I suggest you read the whole thread.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Another way to approach this is to focus on what you want your body to be able to do (instead of what you want it to look like). Don't try to run a half marathon because it will make you skinny -- it might not, and that motivation probably isn't enough to keep you running until next March anyway.

That's a great way to look at it! Thanks!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As I have lost weight exercise has come easier, and this has been the most enjoyable part of the transformation. I take pleasure in pushing the muscles to new targets, taking my rest day, and surprising myself how much more I can do the next time I go out.

I suggest you chart your progress, and take it slow. Note the changes in what you can do. Eighteen months ago if you had told me I'd be running now I would have laughed in your face. But I am. The progress is so slow to be barely noticeable but over the months it is dramatic! I am booked for a 10K and a 6K obstacle course this year.

Now, if your JOINTS are protesting, take it back a notch. Don't risk injury.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Another way to approach this is to focus on what you want your body to be able to do (instead of what you want it to look like). Don't try to run a half marathon because it will make you skinny -- it might not, and that motivation probably isn't enough to keep you running until next March anyway.

That's a great way to look at it! Thanks!

I can only speak for myself, but if you have the desire to excel at things you do, you might find yourself feeling the same. I've done the C25K and am working up the distance now, but currently my weight is keeping me way too slow to my liking and so is my less than optimal muscle strength. Once you start running, you might notice through practical rather than theoretical experience that the same applies to you and that you like studying your own performance statistics.

While you might think one thing rationally right now, before having run for a longer time, you might end up having competitive traits you weren't aware of to begin with. Then you will *want* to do things differently. Take it one day at a time and base your decisions on real-time information and requests from your body. You might be surprised positively.