Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

See doctor, self diagnosing is never a good ideal.

That^^^

The reason she lost weight is because she was in a deficit? How do you know that? Were you counting calories for her?
    Because you need to be in a deficit to lose weight........you know that science thing.

You mean the out-of-date pseudo-science thing.

You're on a calorie-counting website calling it psuedo-science??? The mind boggles.

I always thought thermogenics was fairly straightforward.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it.

Farking self-diagnosis is shenanigans ...

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?

Gluten intolerance may not exist. Celiac disease is a real thing that can have potentially life-threatening complications if a gluten-free diet is not strictly adhered to. Just as you are under medical care for your diabetes, a celiac should have it on record that they have been diagnosed. The thing about autoimmune disease? It rarely travels alone. One autoimmune compromise opens the door to others. A complete medical history is vital to proper medical care.

This isn't just about food choices. Self-diagnosing serious medical conditions no matter what the treatment for them ends up being is foolish and short-changes the individual doing the diagnosing of their full medical care.

Let me tell you... my celiac diagnosis has been followed up by the diagnosis of 3 other autoimmune diseases. Their diagnosis was made easier because I had a history of having another autoimmune disease. Experts know what they're doing and how the immune system acts.

Full medical picture. It's important.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you think you may have some sort of problem going on most normal people would seek medical advice and get it diagnose if they have it or not, not self diagnose themselves.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.

I think she means she knew what she had before she went to the doctor.

I knew I had celiac disease when I went to the doctor too. I still went to the doctor. A lot of people seem to think that because there's no medical intervention involved in the treatment of celiac, it's okay to skip the step of getting diagnosed. It boggles the mind.

• healthyeats101
    Options
    I don't eat gluten but it's not because of the hype. It's because I'm allergic to wheat. If someone doesn't eat gluten, hype or no hype, who cares? Wonder Bread and Pepperidge Farm cares, and that's about it. Oh, and the cookie and cake pushers. White flour is not a nutritional food. If you take it out of your diet, you are not missing anything.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    Options

Gluten intolerance may not exist. Celiac disease is a real thing that can have potentially life-threatening complications if a gluten-free diet is not strictly adhered to. Just as you are under medical care for your diabetes, a celiac should have it on record that they have been diagnosed. The thing about autoimmune disease? It rarely travels alone. One autoimmune compromise opens the door to others. A complete medical history is vital to proper medical care.

This isn't just about food choices. Self-diagnosing serious medical conditions no matter what the treatment for them ends up being is foolish and short-changes the individual doing the diagnosing of their full medical care.

Let me tell you... my celiac diagnosis has been followed up by the diagnosis of 3 other autoimmune diseases. Their diagnosis was made easier because I had a history of having another autoimmune disease. Experts know what they're doing and how the immune system acts.

Full medical picture. It's important.

I understand that, and sorry about the autoimmune party you're having, I'm hoping that nothing else comes my way though MS seems to run in the women on my dad's side. What would you do if you were in OP's shoes?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

If you think you may have some sort of problem going on most normal people would seek medical advice and get it diagnose if they have it or not, not self diagnose themselves.
    Is there some point to stating this?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

May I remind you that everyone who is diagnosed had the disorder before diagnosis?

You know what, nothing is going to cause you to sympathize so typing a response is a waste of time.

Gluten makes my teeth hurt. It's the most bizarre thing ever, but consistent. I guess it's causing just enough inflammation to hit a nerve or sinus cavity. Who knows.

Guess what? I told my doctor that if I didn't eat it I don't get acid reflux and my teeth don't hurt. My doctor said "Awesome, a lot of people have a gluten sensitivity and don't realize it, you must be one of them."

Merry Christmas. I'm diagnosed.

It's like depression, all you do is tell the doctor and they diagnose you (for the sensitivity part). It's not a magic diagnosis that gives you symptoms where you didn't have them before.

My advice: Unless you're a medical professional please mind your own business in regards to telling people they don't have food allergies they believe they have. Neither of you are going to change each other's minds, and it really is over-stepping a boundary of polite conversation and helpful advice.

You don't have to agree with it, but just move along, or better yet, go for a run! You have some abs to work on. Good luck on that endeavor.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

May I remind you that everyone who is diagnosed had the disorder before diagnosis?

You know what, nothing is going to cause you to sympathize so typing a response is a waste of time.

Gluten makes my teeth hurt. It's the most bizarre thing ever, but consistent. I guess it's causing just enough inflammation to hit a nerve or sinus cavity. Who knows.

Guess what? I told my doctor that if I didn't eat it I don't get acid reflux and my teeth don't hurt. My doctor said "Awesome, a lot of people have a gluten sensitivity and don't realize it, you must be one of them."

Merry Christmas. I'm diagnosed.

It's like depression, all you do is tell the doctor and they diagnose you (for the sensitivity part). It's not a magic diagnosis that gives you symptoms where you didn't have them before.

My advice: Unless you're a medical professional please my your own business in regards to telling people they don't have food allergies they believe they have. Neither of you are going to change each other's minds, and it really is over-stepping a boundary of polite conversation and helpful advice.

You don't have to agree with it, but just move along, or better yet, go for a run! You have some abs to work on. Good luck on that endeavor.

ya, i was diagnosed with acid reflux the same way. i told a doctor i had these symptoms which alcohol seems to set off, he said that sounds like acid reflux, take some prilosec and try and avoid alcohol and it should go away. bam! diagnosis.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Is there some point to stating this?

Yes, people who don't have medical issues.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    Options

Because I noticed something wasn't right with myself with all the corresponding symptoms, I got a blood glucose monitor, tested myself, found out it was buttload high and went to A&E telling them I was now diabetic and they needed to sort me out. I self-diagnosed myself rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment or waiting it out and going into a coma where they would diagnose me instead.