gluten hates me...

Options

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Wait, so, there's nothing to the enrichment of wheat based flours, and the sterilization of bacteria (good and bad) in our food that could cause someone to be sensitive to gluten?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it.

Farking self-diagnosis is shenanigans ...

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.

Because I noticed something wasn't right with myself with all the corresponding symptoms, I got a blood glucose monitor, tested myself, found out it was buttload high and went to A&E telling them I was now diabetic and they needed to sort me out. I self-diagnosed myself rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment or waiting it out and going into a coma where they would diagnose me instead.

You do realize that type 1 diabetics DIE when they don't receive insulin. So you do not have type 1 diabetes. Unless you actually did see a doctor and received a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes and take insulin. Otherwise you most likely have type 2. I would see a doctor as type 2 diabetes can cause major health complications when left untreated.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    It's like the people who get a formal diagnosis feel like they own this disease and nobody can get into their exclusive cool club without getting the permission of their doctor. Not sure why they are so threatened by these people who self diagnose.

Except I don't have celiacs. I have an actual allergy. If I so much as touch oat, my throat closes. Wheat and gluten I have to actually consume. I am not "threatened" by anyone. I get pissed off when people claim they have an illness or disease they were never diagnosed with, especially when it comes to food allergies. Do you know how many times I see people say they have a gluten issue, and then literally two minutes later consume a food with gluten in it? It is people like that, that make things worse. I can't tell you how many times a day someone says: well so and so eats _____ and they have an issue with gluten and they are okay- and it happens to be a food that contains "hidden" gluten. I have gotten to the point where I won't eat anything that I don't cook/prepare/take out of a package myself. Why? Because people assume if person "a" who really has no issue can eat it, it will not hurt me.

okay, I can understand being frustrated by that.

Yeah, I'd say it is "frustrating" to land in ICU on a ventilator for 5-7 days due to my airway closing.

Bottom line- if you do not have a certain medical condition diagnosed, do not say that you do based on you "think you do".

your frustration is clouding your judgment here. The o.p. is excited that she found something to make her feel better. That doesn't have to be a threat to you.

You have heard of the term placebo effect right? Where there is no real cause for them feeling better except that they believe they do? That's pretty much what this is.

Even assuming that's true (we have no way of knowing)...so what?

So you would be okay with someone going around saying they have cancer and have to eat xyz to stay healthy during chemo, when they do not? Just because that way of eating makes them feel better?

I was unaware anybody in the thread was faking a cancer diagnosis.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.

Because I noticed something wasn't right with myself with all the corresponding symptoms, I got a blood glucose monitor, tested myself, found out it was buttload high and went to A&E telling them I was now diabetic and they needed to sort me out. I self-diagnosed myself rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment or waiting it out and going into a coma where they would diagnose me instead.

You do realize that type 1 diabetics DIE when they don't receive insulin. So you do not have type 1 diabetes. Type 2, sure. But I would still see a doctor as type 2 diabetes can cause major health complications when left untreated.

lmfao are you seriously trying to tell me that I'm not a Type I diabetic?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I think she means she knew what she had before she went to the doctor.

I knew I had celiac disease when I went to the doctor too. I still went to the doctor. A lot of people seem to think that because there's no medical intervention involved in the treatment of celiac, it's okay to skip the step of getting diagnosed. It boggles the mind.

Based on her last post, I don't think so! :O

I agree completely. With Celiac, comes a number of other health problems which can cause a variety of complications when left untreated. It is definitely very important to be under the care of a physician (preferably a gastroenterologist) when you have Celiac!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

You do realize that type 1 diabetics DIE when they don't receive insulin. So you do not have type 1 diabetes. Type 2, sure. But I would still see a doctor as type 2 diabetes can cause major health complications when left untreated.

@MagicalGiraffe‌ Do you take insulin? Yes or no?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    What won't she get?? There is nothing to get. The girl doesn't eat wheat because it gives her a gut ache. Big deal. Get over it and move on.

Because that's how trolling works!

Tennisdude, I think your post made it sound as though you think I am a troll. I am hoping you didn't mean it. :( I think you missed out the response to my comment. :)
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    I find it interesting that when someone posts about being gluten free, be it by choice prompted by a medical condition and sensitivity, or just simply wanting to eliminate gluten from their diets but without any medical basis; that people have to chime in with bizarre comments showing they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into the hype etc. If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one, but for some reason people seem to have a need to pipe up with dissenting voices and commentaries whenever anyone claims to feel better after eliminating gluten. People have real medical issues with gluten and others just don't want to eat it. So what's the real issue for people resisting this? Just my 0.2 cents worth...

I think this is the post of the day. I applaud OPs dietary changes and condemn those on this forum for blasting it (or mocking it). If someone can't be inspired by this kind of story, go live in a hole.

I agree with both posts. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear posters,

Please remember that posts that are not polite and on-topic violate community guidelines, and could garner warnings and deletions.

Cheers,
    davis_em
  • MagicalGiraffe
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

Yes I do, as my beta cells decided to quit. Here is my bounty, I had more monitors but I decided to send some extras to Africa.

OP seems to have been scared off, but I would suggest returning to doctor's to see if there is another way they can assess what is wrong with your body rather than going on a week on week gluten binge.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

See doctor, self diagnosing is never a good ideal.

That^^^

The reason she lost weight is because she was in a deficit? How do you know that? Were you counting calories for her?
    Because the laws of physics apply to all humans. Were you aware of that?

Also, you never went back to defend your weak NY Times article on that super weak study you posted. I mean you post 1 link after 2000 requests and it's really bad. Like really bad.

It's either:

Members say they can eat 2000 calories in donuts and lose weight

Or

A bowl of brocolli is the same as a bowl of candy, according to the members here

Weak arguments. Sadly PrettyKitty isn't a troll. It's a real person and that's depressing. She also constantly states studies exist that a calorie isn't a calorie but she never ever actually post them. Never.

Here you go, CICO-path.

Of course all the folks are frauds and charlatans just trying to make a buck in your world.

http://www.caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

If person has a metabolism(covers daily expenditure and waste etc) that uses a total of 1000 calories a day and they eat 1500 calories, what happens to the extra 500 calories?
    A. They are stored
    B. Magic
    C. Vampires
    D. Aliens
    E. Gary Taubes
    F. Insulin Fairies
    G. Math is hard
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not one of those links invalidates CICO, and majority explicitly support it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

Yes I do, as my beta cells decided to quit. Here is my bounty, I had more monitors but I decided to send some extras to Africa.

OP seems to have been scared off, but I would suggest returning to doctor's to see if there is another way they can assess what is wrong with your body rather than going on a week on week gluten binge.

Okay then. That's all you needed to say. You made it seem as though you self-diagnosed yourself as a type 1 diabetic and were not taking insulin because you didn't go to your doctors appointment. It wasn't very clear.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Without CICO, myfitnesspal would become obsolete ;)
  • MagicalGiraffe
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

Okay then. That's all you needed to say. You made it seem as though you self-diagnosed yourself as a type 1 diabetic and were not taking insulin because you didn't go to your doctors appointment. It wasn't very clear.

I self-diagnosed myself as type 1, went straight to A&E and told them to sort me out, ie. give me the meds, the birds and the bees of diabetes. If I had waited for a doctor's appointment there would be a chance of going comatose.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

I self-diagnosed myself as type 1, went straight to A&E and told them to sort me out, ie. give me the meds, the birds and the bees of diabetes. If I had waited for a doctor's appointment there would be a chance of going comatose.

Same scenario for my husband, except I diagnosed him, went straight to Emergnecy, told them he was diabetic and two hours later he was giving himself an injection.

Just as well neither of us listened to "experts" on the internet who say in bold print "So you do not have type 1 diabetes"

Good luck with your condition, it is not an easy one to live with. My husband has had it for 33 years and is in good health apart from working too hard AND he is a smoker. GRRRRRR