Options
12345679»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg
    You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it.

Farking self-diagnosis is shenanigans ...

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.

Because I noticed something wasn't right with myself with all the corresponding symptoms, I got a blood glucose monitor, tested myself, found out it was buttload high and went to A&E telling them I was now diabetic and they needed to sort me out. I self-diagnosed myself rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment or waiting it out and going into a coma where they would diagnose me instead.

You do realize that type 1 diabetics DIE when they don't receive insulin. So you do not have type 1 diabetes. Type 2, sure. But I would still see a doctor as type 2 diabetes can cause major health complications when left untreated.

lmfao are you seriously trying to tell me that I'm not a Type I diabetic?

@MagicalGiraffe‌ Do you take insulin? Yes or no?

Yes I do, as my beta cells decided to quit. Here is my bounty, I had more monitors but I decided to send some extras to Africa.

OP seems to have been scared off, but I would suggest returning to doctor's to see if there is another way they can assess what is wrong with your body rather than going on a week on week gluten binge.

Okay then. That's all you needed to say. You made it seem as though you self-diagnosed yourself as a type 1 diabetic and were not taking insulin because you didn't go to your doctors appointment. It wasn't very clear.

I self-diagnosed myself as type 1, went straight to A&E and told them to sort me out, ie. give me the meds, the birds and the bees of diabetes. If I had waited for a doctor's appointment there would be a chance of going comatose.

How did you "know" you were type 1 and not type 2? Just curious because typically type 1 diabetes is caught early on.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    412604blgy6c.jpg

I self diagnosed myself with Type I Diabetes, did I not have that until it was professionally diagnosed? Because the 27.2mmol reading on a BG monitor, falling asleep after every time I ate, the stone weightloss in a few weeks, the constant peeing, the constant thirst, the thrush etc all suggested otherwise.

My friend was getting insane stomach cramps after eating anything with gluten in it, she had a ton of the other symptoms too. She cut it all out and of course got better. To get a doctor's diagnosis they wanted her to eat X amount of bread, everyday for multiple weeks. The pain that it would cause her was just not worth getting a diagnosis and so she just accepts herself as gluten intolerant/coeliac.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes people aren't just jumping on the bandwagon, people like OP have genuinely been having physical issues and found once they cut out gluten those issues went away. Why shouldn't they assume that they are gluten intolerant despite not having an official diagnosis?

How do you self-diagnosis type 1 diabetes when type 1 diabetics REQUIRE insulin? Insulin injections/pump require a prescription from a doctor.

Because I noticed something wasn't right with myself with all the corresponding symptoms, I got a blood glucose monitor, tested myself, found out it was buttload high and went to A&E telling them I was now diabetic and they needed to sort me out. I self-diagnosed myself rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment or waiting it out and going into a coma where they would diagnose me instead.

You do realize that type 1 diabetics DIE when they don't receive insulin. So you do not have type 1 diabetes. Type 2, sure. But I would still see a doctor as type 2 diabetes can cause major health complications when left untreated.

Yes I do, as my beta cells decided to quit. Here is my bounty, I had more monitors but I decided to send some extras to Africa.

OP seems to have been scared off, but I would suggest returning to doctor's to see if there is another way they can assess what is wrong with your body rather than going on a week on week gluten binge.

Okay then. That's all you needed to say. You made it seem as though you self-diagnosed yourself as a type 1 diabetic and were not taking insulin because you didn't go to your doctors appointment. It wasn't very clear.

I self-diagnosed myself as type 1, went straight to A&E and told them to sort me out, ie. give me the meds, the birds and the bees of diabetes. If I had waited for a doctor's appointment there would be a chance of going comatose.

Same scenario for my husband, except I diagnosed him, went straight to Emergnecy, told them he was diabetic and two hours later he was giving himself an injection.

Just as well neither of us listened to "experts" on the internet who say in bold print "So you do not have type 1 diabetes"

Good luck with your condition, it is not an easy one to live with. My husband has had it for 33 years and is in good health apart from working too hard AND he is a smoker. GRRRRRR

When someone comes here and says they self-diagnosed themselves as a type 1 diabetic, that gives the impression that they haven't gotten a diagnosis from an actual MD.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

I think I must be missing something here. Did you go to the A&E and tell them what you were quite certain you had diabetes and insisted that you be checked? Did they then complete the appropriate tests, confirmed that you had diabetes and then provided the appropriate info and meds? This is the kind of self-advocacy (definitely not the same as self-diagnose) that is sometimes needed when a primary care professional isn't providing an appropriate response. However, self-diagnosing and being able to direct medical professionals to give you what you want based on your opinion is not likely in western society. I think the confusion is that you meant to say you really had to advocate very persistently to get the help you needed.
  • Victoria0046
    Victoria0046 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it? That's pretty dumb. It's only if you already have it that a medical professional can diagnose you with it. You don't get it from the diagnoses.

Your last comment is just plain rude. Do you really need to lower yourself to that level?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it? That's pretty dumb. It's only if you already have it that a medical professional can diagnose you with it. You don't get it from the diagnoses.

Your last comment is just plain rude. Do you really need to lower yourself to that level?

Exactly. I had Crohn's disease before I got the diagnosis/confirmation from my gastroenterologist and scopes. The diagnosis/tests don't magically make the disease appear. It's been there all along.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    412604blgy6c.jpg

I think I must be missing something here. Did you go to the A&E and tell them what you were quite certain you had diabetes and insisted that you be checked? Did they then complete the appropriate tests, confirmed that you had diabetes and then provided the appropriate info and meds? This is the kind of self-advocacy (definitely not the same as self-diagnose) that is sometimes needed when a primary care professional isn't providing an appropriate response. However, self-diagnosing and being able to direct medical professionals to give you what you want based on your opinion is not likely in western society. I think the confusion is that you meant to say you really had to advocate very persistently to get the help you needed.

Not quite certain, I was certain. Family friend had a BG monitor which I checked myself on. With a reading of 27mmol, and all the other symptoms alongside, I knew I was diabetic. Autoimmune diseases ran on my dad's side, type 1 being there, so I knew I had some hereditary predisposition. I didn't have to insist to be checked, they took me seriously but did check my urine just incase there were ketones present. They started administering insulin to bring my sugars down steadily and kept me over night to monitor me incase ketones popped up and so I could see the diabetic nurse in the morning for my equipment to take home and the basic information.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    412604blgy6c.jpg

Not quite certain, I was certain. Family friend had a BG monitor which I checked myself on. With a reading of 27mmol, and all the other symptoms alongside, I knew I was diabetic. Autoimmune diseases ran on my dad's side, type 1 being there, so I knew I had some hereditary predisposition. I didn't have to insist to be checked, they took me seriously but did check my urine just incase there were ketones present. They started administering insulin to bring my sugars down steadily and kept me over night to monitor me incase ketones popped up and so I could see the diabetic nurse in the morning for my equipment to take home and the basic information.

This makes much more sense - they acted professional and did the appropriate confirming tests and monitoring so you did receive a medical professional diagnosis. Thanks for the clarification.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

How did you "know" you were type 1 and not type 2? Just curious because typically type 1 diabetes is caught early on.

Yeah 17 was quite late for it to come on, but even if Type II is becoming increasingy common in younger years it would still be considered even rarer for me to have caught Type II at that age compared to Type I. I knew my diet wasn't based on high GI foods to build up insulin resistance that quickly for me to have had Type II. A few months before I was diagnosed I had a month long cold, bad throat, sinus infection which affected my hearing etc. So I believe in the theory that my diabetes was a virus triggered autoimmune response. I often wonder if I would still have diabetes if I hadn'tve gotten that ill that winter.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    412604blgy6c.jpg

Yeah 17 was quite late for it to come on, but even if Type II is becoming increasingy common in younger years it would still be considered even rarer for me to have caught Type II at that age compared to Type I. I knew my diet wasn't based on high GI foods to build up insulin resistance that quickly for me to have had Type II. A few months before I was diagnosed I had a month long cold, bad throat, sinus infection which affected my hearing etc. So I believe in the theory that my diabetes was a virus triggered autoimmune response. I often wonder if I would still have diabetes if I hadn'tve gotten that ill that winter.

Once again, the exact same scenario, my husband had a virus which knocked him off his feet for a couple of days and that is believed to triggered of the autoimmune response to attack the pancreas. He was 27 at the time.

Armed with advice from the Principal Nurse at the School of Nursing who had given my urine strips to take home, yes we went to the hospital and told them he had diabetes, 1 or 2 meant nothing to me at the time. They did not even doubt MY diagnosis - simple blood test, repeat urine test and yep you are Type 1. Admitted overnight and see the diabetic nurse in the morning. Simple as that.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honest question-if gluten free weren't a fad, what would really be different for people with celiacs? Unless it's truly a gluten free place, a restaurant can't guarantee that their products are gluten free. I know of a pizza place that has gluten free pizzas shipped to them from a gluten free kitchen, deliver them to the table still in the package, and they still can't guarantee a gluten free environment.

I'm in favor of tentative self diagnosing for the purpose of self-advocacy, as long as the advocacy is also well educated and for the purpose of involving medical professionals.