WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies! We had a lunch and learn today with lunch provided. I splurged and had the chocolate chip cookie. It was so good! I haven't had one in ages! I didn't walk much today, only about 5,000 steps when I average about 7,000 or more. Just was lazy at work today. No problems, quiet day, makes me lazy.... I did work out this morning doing my Hacker Diet Ladder rung 4. I am just sleepy right now and probably will have an early night. I really enjoy this thread and can't wait to read what people post next. BYW, I started a squat challenge if anyone is interested. I posted the thread somewhere else so feel free to join me. I understand the bad knees and backs so understand if you can't join. My knees have improved since I lost the 10 pounds. Well, got to go. My husband is watching the original TRON. I am seeing some scenes I don't ever remember seeing! Going to watch that for a while. Have a good evening everyone!

Rita from hot and sunny Tennessee!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good evening from sunny Omaha. :glasses: It’s warm and slightly humid, but breezy and nice enough to go for a walk once I get done posting. Nothing much happened today; I went to work for a few hours to work on a research project (I begged for 2 years to have research in my workload and now I have ½ credit hour or about 7 clock hours each week). Stopped by an antique store but didn’t see much I really wanted, then came home and worked on the testbank. DD#2 got a job at Runza today, so she’s excited. I’m wearing a skirt I bought last year and it is HUGE around my waist but sits quite nicely on my hips. So I can still wear it. But it is fun to stand there and pull it out from my body! I had planned to have a glass of wine with dinner but forgot, so was going to have it after my walk, but when I added my calories for the day I only had 34 left (before exercise), so opted to save it. Another good decision that was sooooo easy to make!:wink:

Rori: how did I miss an AARP discount at the movies???

Barbie: I can count on you for your good advice!

Yanniejannie: great news that the tornadoes did not touch down. Even better news is the 25# loss!:drinker:

Barbara: I have never tried any kind of protein shake, but I love morningstar farms, so I’m keen to try your oatmeal/breakfast patty suggestion!

Michele: OK, mosquitoes are off the invite list for the ark. :laugh: Can I bring 4 cats instead?

Joyce: heat index of 105 tomorrow? Oh that is awful, especially so early in June. :huh: Bleh.

Viv: sending sunshine your way but I do not want more rain. It’s already in the forecast…of course for Saturday when we plan to try to go to the farmers market again. Maybe this time we will just take umbrelllas.

Katla: jealous of the Colorado contingent! We need a Nebraska group!

Tere: oh I love your tea idea! Now I need to go find a tea pot, tray etc etc etc. I saw a beautiful Haviland coffeepot on a tray with sugar and creamer at the antique shop today. It was part of a 150+ set, but the lady said she’d break it up for $200. A little steep for me, but for 1920s Haviland, that was a good deal.

Grandamallie: stay safe in the bad weather. Good news on the weight loss!:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: hope things slow down for you some and soon!

Heather: EXHALING thank you! I love to shop for shoes!!!!! Take me with you!!! Holy cats that cake is full of calories. Wonder if there are substitutions you could make to decrease it?

Tigress: linked? What is that LOL. :tongue: I have a dumb phone. It doesn’t even have a back. Right now it is lost in the bowels of my purse and has been dead for 2 weeks. I can text and phone and that’s it. But it is fine for me and I do like it (it’s an old motorola flip phone)

Molly: hope you survived the storms without problem

Carol: DD#1 came home from work today and said she messed up two orders LOL:bigsmile:

Sue: I’m so sorry to hear about your rotator cuff. I hope surgery goes well for you:flowerforyou:

Jane: what’s new in your life? How are those babies?

Brooke: I guess I’m out of the loop and didn’t realize you had fires! Stay safe even if they aren’t near you right now.

Lucy I can’t believe the weather you are having there! Tornadoes are out of the ordinary for you! My workplace is a Platinum Well Workplace, so health and wellness are top priorities. Everyone is so supportive!

Vickie: I emailed mfp about the ticker issue and have not heard back from them yet. When I got my pedometer I was barely getting 3,000 steps, and have gradually increased my goal to 6,000. I usually get more now.

NewLorrain: that is awesome that you know what went wrong and how to fix it!!! Pat yourself on the back because so many of us gained weight without really understanding why. :flowerforyou: Those pounds will be gone in no time.

Phoo: great job on setting daily goals! Let us know how it works

Robin: YAY no more of shewhocan’tbenamed!!!! :happy: :happy: Doing a happy dance for you

Sue: love that golf but haven’t played in 2 years, actually this will be my third summer without playing. I need to get my “new” clubs fit and find a new golf league as I don’t know anyone to golf with.

Well time to get off my a** and get that walk in. It’s nearly 8 and I still have to make a grocery list for my shopping tomorrow. I have the drapery lady and the hardwood floor guy coming out tomorrow too and I need to do 2 chapters on the test bank. We are going to Jazz on the Green tomorrow evening as well. So I need some organization! Take care everyone….meg from wonderful Omaha:drinker:
  • CritterSue
    CritterSue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I think I found the right group! I just turned fifty, and this is my third day on MFP. It also looks like there are lots of animal lovers here! I have four dogs and five kitties-never a dull moment!
    Looking to lose some weight that I've been ''collecting'' over the last decade!
    Would love to meet some new friends here!
    Sue :~)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,890 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I think I found the right group! I just turned fifty, and this is my third day on MFP. It also looks like there are lots of animal lovers here! I have four dogs and five kitties-never a dull moment!
    Looking to lose some weight that I've been ''collecting'' over the last decade!
    Would love to meet some new friends here!
    Sue :~)

Welcome Sue! This really is a great group. Very supportive and chatty! Love it and this is the only group I spend a lot of time on. I read it every day! Great bunch of women and best group I've ever been in!

Again, Welcome!
    Rita from Tennessee
  • CritterSue
    Options
    Thank you so much, Rita! This looks like a fun place! :~)
    Sue
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good evening from sunny/breezy Oregon,

I am trying a different way of gardening, planting vegetables in straw bales. Yesterday, I planted tomatoes and peppers and my back and knees are happy…no bending over and squatting on the ground. I will see how it goes/grows.

Tigress in GA…nice you have fresh peppers, here in Oregon, I am still waiting.

Yanniejannie…good for you, going to the gym!

Sue in SD…Sorry about your rotator cuff tear, surgery is not fun.

Brooke from Colorado…I saw the fires on the news tonight; my brother lives in Colorado Springs…my thoughts are with you and your friends.

Vickie from Nebraska…my sympathies in your loss of Sassy, glad Toby is better.

rjadams--good news on the job change!

Pat…Wow, 105 degrees! Nice you have the option to swim.

Sue in TX…like your quote “if it is to be, it’s up to me”.

Meg…Congrats on the smaller waist and good choice on the wine vs. calories.

Sue with 4 dogs & 5 kitties…Nice to meet you.

Terri
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ok so for lunch today I had 12 Special K crackers, and I have been starving ever since. I haven't been this hungry in a month, so the wheat thing is out for me. It's lettuce leaf sandwiches and no bread. I'm going to eat my snack and go to bed.

Tigress in GA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Katla - I never understood Weight Watcher's points system, either. I make these chocolate bran muffins. Now according to Weight Watchers, they are 0 points because of the high fiber in them. Yet, they do have calories.

I did just an hour of a Leslie Sansone walking DVD. I think if I did the whole thing, it would probably have been about 1-1/4 hour. then we had the Newcomer general meeting, Vince left because he wanted to put more track under the capstones for lights. See, to glue the track to the stones you need to use this certain adhesive which takes like 6 hours to set up. So I went bowling. Was thinking about Bryan too much and I'm sure that's why I did so poorly. Actually, by the end of the third game, I was starting to cry just thinking about the whole situation. Came home and Jessica called. She'd sent Bryan an email basically saying that she thought the way he's treating us is terrible and some other things (I don't know all the specifics). He answered her (he doesn't answer us) basically saying "I respect your thoughts, but I'm right and you're wrong".

Tomorrow I'm planning to do The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD. We're going to have more riverrock delivered in the a.m. I am supposed to volunteer at the Green Room from 10-12:30, first I'll go to the soup kitchen and give them things that people left here at Rummikub that I really don't want, then I'll stop at Lynette's office to give her the rest of the strawberry cream cake and key lime fudge. After volunteering, Vince and I will probably work on the riverrock. The guy came today to pour the footers for the mini-pergola we're going to have over the equipment pad. This way the pipes will be somewhat out of the sun. We're going to have lattice work in the front so that when you look at the pool from our deck, you won't be looking at lots and lots of pipes.

About that lemon drizzle cake - do you use a bundt cake pan? I've made this lemon cake, it is in a bundt pan, it's very good but no matter what I do, it always seems to stick to the bottom of the pan.

Cheryl - glad to hear you're logging, that's so important

Sue in SD - good luck to you

Lucy in DE - so glad you had such a good time at the Italian Festival

Vicki - glad to hear Toby is doing good. With only three teeth, do you have to give him special (soft) food? When I'm reading and responding to posts, what I do is keep the notepad open and put a note to myself on the bottom where I left off (ex: page 5 - Vicki)

One gal brought these cheesepuffs last night. I know that it's because she was working and needed something that didn't need refrigeration. But the sodium in them! I didn't have that many, but I can feel my ankles swelling today. Well, they always swell in the heat, I have to be extra careful of the sodium.

Robin - what wonderful news!!!!

Sue in TX - happy anniversary!

meg - yes, you can bring 4 cats. You really also don't need gnats or snakes or rats either

Sue - welcome to a great place. This is the only group here at MFP that I go to.

Michele in NC
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: bump.
  • CritterSue
    Options
    Thanks for the greetings! This is such a welcoming place!
    I'm exhausted and off to bed, but will be back to say hi tomorrow.
    I see there are several Sue's in this group. If you want to call me ''Critter Sue'' to avoid confusion, feel free!
    Good night, and many thanks for your kindness!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Meg - yes, you can bring 4 cats. You really also don't need gnats or snakes or rats either
    Michele in NC
    Or ticks. Yuck!

Happy Birthday Amanda!

Now off to bed before I eat or drink anything unplanned ;)

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD of the healthier waist in 2013.

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    June: Log, matwork, sweat EVERY day. Lenten lifestyle.
    Bonus goals: HRM, Smartphonewalk, scanposts
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just popping in for a quick Hi

Be proud of me I'm going to exercise before it gets too late :bigsmile:

Found my old re-bounder :embarassed: well actually it wasn't lost - it was being used a clothes horse :embarassed: :bigsmile: but its now downstairs so I can hop on regularly - no excuse it's right there!!!

Also back on the 'awesome routine' from Les Mill that I found online, so that is where I am heading now!

Have a good day everyone - I'll try and get back tonight after work.

Viv :heart: :heart: from a grey dull morning in York UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Critter Sue:smile: Welcome!!! You`ve found the best thread on MFP!!! Hope you come in often and chat away with us!!!

Robin:smile: Woo hoo!!!! Congrats on getting away from "shewhocannotbenamed"!!!!! Happy dance for you:flowerforyou: !!!

Barbara:smile: Nice to see you again!!! I agree with you on the ticks:sick: :noway: , and the others that have said "no snakes, rats, gnats etc. etc:sick: :laugh: .!

Viv:smile: Hopping away are we? good for you!!!!

No more time for me this morning:sad: . Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in hot steamy and maybe stormy later on NC:glasses: :noway:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    im up and atem early, today is day my day off and im on the run, it is going to be wild today and the morning tomorrow. o gonna go grocery shopping early, might have to sandbag the hatchway- we will be getting 2-6 inches during the day and heavy winds tonight and tomorrow am. have to take Homer for rabies shot in the middle of this all ..dont know if I will get to thee gym this morning, but sure will try because of the weather in the am dont know if I will get there then either..
    hope everyone had a sparkly day will check in later:flowerforyou:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Sweet Ladies
    New & Old;
    I am on for just a quick visit..going to my Dr this morning..this is the last visit with her another is taking her place..I hope she is half as good as the one I had...going to my sisters this afternoon..been a couple of days..been in so much pain I spent most of the days in bed...:sick:
    Got a chance to read a few posts will catch up more when I come back :blushing:
    You ALL have a peaceful day doing what you love :happy:

LizPlus fr Halifax NS
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Michele - I make the cake in a loaf tin. I grease and line the tin, or rather DH did because he has more patience! He also zested and squeezed the lemons.
    Meg - the calories are horrendous, but the idea really is to feed DH calories as he easily fades away to nothing. He weighs less than I do even now and he is 6ft and I am 5ft 5ins!:noway: Meg, I bought some party shoes/sandals. They have a 2 inch heel which I haven't worn for years. I am getting some gel things to put under the balls of my feet as it feels a bit hard. I don't think we will have TOO much walking on the party evening, but I have to go from our hotel, down to DSIL' s hotel and the to the restaurant and then back to us. Ow! I will take a pair of flats in my bag with me in case! :laugh:
    It is cold here today. I decided to put the heating on. I do get colder now that I am thinner.
    I dropped DH off at cricket and headed off to our big store to buy the bits we forgot yesterday! Without DH there I treated myself to some flowers for the living room and kitchen table and bought some beetroot. DH always says he HATES beetroot, but whenever he has had it at a restaurant he always pronounces it 'quite edible'. !:laugh: I have taken the opportunity of having a big portion all to myself with the delicious lamb, garlic and cilantro burgers that are left over from last night. (I kept the portions small )

DH has got his irritable bowel back and is having a spell of anxiety attacks that keep him awake all night. I have suggested he tries Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which my DDIL specializes in. Maybe she can suggest a good practitioner, or how to find one down here. His anxieties are usually focussed around travelling, especially by tube (metro) or aeroplane. Also a bit of social anxiety. He knows it is all irrational and always feels better in time, but it gets him down when he is in the throes of it. He also worries that I will judge him for it, but I tell him I have enough funny little neuroses of my own to know better than that.:wink: DH makes me very happy so I have been able to avoid a lot of the troubles and depression I used to have, but things can still set me off! !!!!!:laugh::huh:
    I do have a bit of control freakery that comes out in peculiar ways.
    This all means that I understand what he is going through, but I do think I maybe have learnt strategies to cope with it better. I have had a lot of therapy in my time and done courses in personal growth. But all the time I realise that it doesn't take much to make you slip back into old bad habits of thinking.
    Sorry about the philosophy today, but it is nice to have someone to share things with. See CritterSue, what you have to look forward to! :flowerforyou:
    Love to all. :heart:
    Heather in cold Hampshire UK
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies=) :flowerforyou:
    Just popping in for a moment.Rainy and warm winds here in the mountains of WV.
    DD in Colorado Springs said she was safe and I hope for all there you are doing very well.

Have a somewhat delicate question to put out here.One I was not sure where to ask.
    It is a tad bit difficult for me but here goes.

I weigh(at this time) 339.In august some time I have to fly out to CO to stay with my DD after her heart surgery.
    my question is this.Anyone ever been or know someone in my frame able to sit in an airline seat?Do I have to buy an extender belt?I only have enough money for one seat for round trip.If I get on the plane will I be stopped maybe and asked to leave or pay for another seat right there?Would an aisle seat be the best?This is one of those things you just can't ask an airline rep.I tried and she was very closed lipped.
    so there it is.Faced with this and having more than alittle anxiety about it.

Thanks for letting me rabble on.
    Molly in WV
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies: Welcome to all who are new great place to be, can learn so much , laugh, cry, and rejoice, it all happens here!!!

Have been busy working in the yard we have taken down a tree and loading it to be taken away is like weight training
    certainly is a workout.
    Nice to have summer weather finally,so sorry for those who are having so much rain!
    Been to a few lunches lately and the old salt thing is hard to fight when the choices are not good,will be done with them
    soon and can get back on track,
    Thoughts and Prayers with those who need them and well wishes to all

Juanita in sudbury
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies- It is going to get hot again today, so I have already been up doing chores. If I don't, then I crash in the recliner and put off the dust bunnies until another day! :noway:
    I read, with great sadness, the post on the message board from the young woman who lost her baby and is questioning what "she" did wrong. There are so many things that can go wrong in that miraculous process of creating & delivering life, it breaks my heart to have her think that she must be at fault, but it is, in all honesty, the first thing that we women think, isn't it. Losing a child during pregnancy, losing a living young child, losing an adult child- - - - the circumstances may be different, but the pain & unending sense of emptiness and loss are never really over. Prayers are needed for all who suffer, and today for this young woman especially.
    For today- I will finish my chores, go to water aerobics, make & mail the cards that should have been out two days ago, and stay within my calorie counts.

Grandmalie- Stay Dry! If you are sandbagging entrances, I bet you are burning calories! Take care today; I will be sending safe, dry thoughts your way!

Liz- Take good care of yourself, and I hope the new Dr is wonderful.

Heather- I do understand and relate to some of the problems your DH is having. IBS is nasty because it is so unpredictable, and mine could be set off even when I thought I was calm and dealing well with things. It was so frustrating! Learning relaxation techniques did help for those times I found myself at a panic stage, but I also always, always had to be hyper-aware of where every public facility was located wherever I was. Tell him I wish him the best. I am sure that you are his best source of info and support. Blessings to both of you.

Molly in WV- You will probably be more comfortable w/ a seat extender. If you arrange it when you purchase your ticket, it will make the whole process easier. There are certain seats that have more leg room, but I think all of the seats themselves are a standard size. I just know I really am not a good flyer, and I always try for an aisle seat. Get your ticket early, and enjoy the ride!

Take care, my friends, and be well!