Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

14567810»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Great job! Yeah, I found I just had to make a few tweaks to how I eat to get the protein in. Some days I will do something stupid like have cereal for breakfast, pizza for lunch and spaghetti for dinner, just due to lack of planning (and going to my mother's house for dinner not knowing what she is making). lol. But those days are few.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Well yeah, you have to eat food you like every once in a while to keep you from binging imo
  • Robbnva
    I need to get back to bringing chicken to work for lunch, I toss it in Buffalo or bbq sauce so it doesn't get boring. Did that in the summer when I was grilling evrryde
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    More protein sources (not a complete list, but should be helpful):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • Robbnva
    Thanks, very helpful list. Makes me wish I liked tuna fish
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    If you can afford it...I would get a reputable trainer for a few sessions. Start out basic with lighter weights. Have the trainer put together 3 different routines that you can rotate through on your own. Hopefully the trainer will correct your form as you are working with him/her - because preventing injury is #1. I think the suggestions are good to look on-line however it's really hard to understand proper form and technique watching a video or reading an article, unless you have a lot of experience lifting. Anyways...good luck!
  • Robbnva
    yeah can't afford a trainer and the 1 free session I did have with one gave me a program I didn't like.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    yeah can't afford a trainer and the 1 free session I did have with one gave me a program I didn't like.

A lot of it depends on the trainer, but if you can't afford it you can't afford it. I don't know why you would need 3 different routines anyway. Having a knowledgeable trainer is good in that they can easily identify where your deficiencies are and help you work on them. But doing what you're doing is good and you seem to enjoy it so keep at it!
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    A good protein source is fat free feta cheese. Added to the scrambled eggs in the morning and protein without a lot of calories
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I like the startbodyweight routine (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html), if you're looking for a bodyweight routine. I find it to be the best bodyweight strength routine out there in terms of progressions, and any good progressive calisthenics routine like it should give you a great functional body.

To be honest though, as a beginner you can't really go wrong with any program, weighted or bodyweight, that includes plenty of basic compound lifts. I like bodyweight myself as it frees me from the gym, includes all those compound movements by default often (although accessory work is possible too), and has also had some good benefits in improving my balance, co-ordination, mobility and joints besides just the usual strength, power, endurance and muscle development benefits.